Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300557 times)

Calvin6s

Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #630 on: January 29, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »
but the image was downright embarrassing.

NSFW Van Halen beginning of career picture

You were saying?

Nirvana was the first big breakout grunge band.  Not the very first, but the first with top of the charts success.  You can't compare them to the middle of the road glam bands.  You have to compare them to the beginning.  Otherwise you are cherry picking.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #631 on: January 30, 2015, 03:36:55 AM »
I'd say all that will be remembered of Nirvana will be Teen Spirit and suicide.
I don't like Nirvana, but this is just ridiculous.

It might be a harsh opinion but I agree with Blob. In the long-run that will be what people remember most.

Yes because SLTS was their only hit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #632 on: January 30, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
I could only name Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come as You Are.

And need I point out that Every Rose Has Its Thorn wasn't Poison's only hit either, so yeah..... ;)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Calvin6s

« Reply #633 on: January 30, 2015, 04:18:14 AM »
 :corn
Israel and Palestine will live in complete harmony before you two come to an agreement on this  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #634 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »
Well, that's you

I promise you that you are wrong on the amount of impact that Nirvana had (and still have) and what they will be remembered for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #635 on: January 30, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
I would prefer Nirvana be remembered for this blasphemous piece of shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XazY_p71fjs

NSFW vocal near the end
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:27:24 PM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: January 30, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »
Well, that's you

I promise you that you are wrong on the amount of impact that Nirvana had (and still have) and what they will be remembered for.

Don't make promises you can't keep.  :-*

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #637 on: January 30, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
but the image was downright embarrassing.

NSFW Van Halen beginning of career picture

You were saying?

Nirvana was the first big breakout grunge band.  Not the very first, but the first with top of the charts success.  You can't compare them to the middle of the road glam bands.  You have to compare them to the beginning.  Otherwise you are cherry picking.

I'm sure DLR cringes at that picture and the whole look of the 80's hair bands.

As for Nirvana, I never said they were the first. Hell, I'm done explaining myself here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: January 30, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »
I'm sure DLR cringes at that picture and the whole look of the 80's hair bands.

And I'm sure you're basing this on nothing more than your own opinion of the era.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #639 on: January 30, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
Did anybody listen to the Nirvana Kiss cover I posted?  Awful.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #640 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
That's precisely why I didn't listen to it. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: January 30, 2015, 11:46:35 PM »

I don't even like hearing the KISS version of that song, let alone a Nirvana version.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #642 on: January 31, 2015, 05:38:07 AM »
I saw what it was, but didn't listen to it again (I've heard it before).

I wouldn't consider ruining a KISS song to be blasphemy.  But at the same time, I wouldn't hold a bad cover against any band.

AFAIK, the only real KISS fan in Nirvana was Dave Grohl.  I think the Foos have covered KISS multiple times, and much better than that monstrosity.  He even had Paul Stanley as one of the interviews in Sonic Highways.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: January 31, 2015, 08:08:29 AM »

I don't even like hearing KISS. let alone Nirvana.

FTFM. Both HUGELY over-rated bands.

Nevermind was a great album but the other two were merely ok.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #644 on: January 31, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »

It might be a harsh opinion but I agree with Blob. In the long-run that will be what people remember most.

Nevermind (the album that Smells Like Teen Spirit was on) is constantly regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time. Also, the Library of Congress put it in the National Recording Registry which collects "culturally, historically or aesthetically important" sound recordings from the 20th century.

Nirvana are much, much bigger than just Kurt Cobain and "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #645 on: January 31, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »

Nevermind (the album that Smells Like Teen Spirit was on) is constantly regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time. Also, the Library of Congress put it in the National Recording Registry which collects "culturally, historically or aesthetically important" sound recordings from the 20th century.

Nirvana are much, much bigger than just Kurt Cobain and "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

I'm looking at some of those recordings that were added over the years. I'm not sure how being added by the Library of Congress will seal the fate of Nirvana as more than just a flash in the pan.  Do you know all of those artists that were added by the Library of Congress?  Are they household names that people remember or even know? 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Update on Orbert's almost-band.

First rehearsal tonight with the new lineup.  Our new singer, Anne, has decided to join our band but also stay with her other band.  Her other band has gigs lined up through this summer, so she can't just leave them.  We're not exactly in a position to demand that she quit them or anything.  In fact, Steve (guitar) has another band, I have a few other musical commitments through the church, and JT (drums) and Tony (bass) both occassionally do local session work, so none of us are really monogamous, musically speaking.

It was kinda funny, though, the way she sold it to us (which she didn't even have to do).  She pointed out that she's still rather new to the game, and this experience with the other band will ultimately make her a better singer and performer, thus our band will benefit.  She's only been singing in bands for a few years, and this other band she's in is the first one to actually play gigs.  I didn't realize that.  I thought she was just like us, been doing this since junior high or high school, maybe was out of the game for a while to raise a family, but is now back in.  Nope.  She's always liked to sing, and a friend of hers finally convinced her to "get serious" about it and audition for a band, but she's never done this before.  She's great.  Also pretty hot.

So ideally, she'll keep working with us while we put the set list together, keep getting experience and confidence working with the other band, then eventually quit them because they suck and go full-time with us when we start landing gigs this summer.  That would be the best possible outcome.  There are obviously many scenarios with less desirable outcomes, the worst of course being that she quits our band when her other band actually starts getting better and she's too busy to do both.  Well, we can't control what happens, so we'll just have to see.  Time to go grab some food, then head out to John's for practice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #647 on: February 03, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
PICS

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #648 on: February 03, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
I thought about that, actually.  Right now, I'm gonna hold off.  Once we have some pictures from gigs or even rehearsals, sure, but just posting pictures of her because I think she's hot doesn't seem quite right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #649 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Always a gentleman...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #650 on: February 03, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »
Well, sometimes.  Also, you guys have to remember that I'm 52 years old, and no one in my band is under 50, so "hot" is relative.  I think she's really pretty, but a lot of guys would look at her and say "She could be my mom!"  Well yeah, she could.  But then you wouldn't be quite so ugly, would you?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #651 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »
lol

I admire good-looking women, regardless of age.  I mean, as long as they are legal.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #652 on: February 03, 2015, 01:04:18 PM »
Same.  We have a lot of older good looking women at work. I don't discriminate.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #653 on: February 03, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »
That's one of the few perqs of getting older, the change of perspective.  Those hot college girls still look great, of course, but the 30- and 40-somethings who I (mostly) wouldn't have given a second glance back when I was in school look pretty good now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #654 on: February 03, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
That's one of the few perqs of getting older, the change of perspective.  Those hot college girls still look great, of course, but the 30- and 40-somethings who I (mostly) wouldn't have given a second glance back when I was in school look pretty good now.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #655 on: March 05, 2015, 07:45:05 AM »
Three rehearsals down, four songs each, 12 songs in the bag.  We have a full set of tunes.  Next rehearsal, we run through all 12 songs to freshen them up in our minds and work out the rough spots.  We also have a name.  We are Flashdrive.  Sure, why not?

Every practice, I'm more and more impressed with our new singer, Anne, and she's more impressed with us.  She openly marvelled at how fast we're putting songs together.  Well yeah, but this is how it works in any decent band, as far as I know.  Everyone learns the songs on their own, then you spend a few hours every two weeks putting them together.  Through email, we agree on who's playing what, or what key it's in, if there's any question, otherwise everybody shows up ready to go.  So four songs every two weeks.  Another couple of months and we'll have three sets, a full evening.  Then we'll be ready to play out, just in time for summer.

One thing that still bothers me a little bit is that she still refers to the band as "you guys".  She still has her other band, the one she's been in for two years and the only band she's ever been in, so when she comes to rehearse with us, we're her "other band" and she thinks of us as "you guys".  I try to gently correct her.  Like, she'll say "Wow, you guys are really good!" and I'll say "No, WE are really good!"  And she'll say "Right, right".  Not dismissively; she's nodding her head and smiling, like she's embarrassed to have to be corrected (again).

Her other band had a gig last weekend, and she posted pictures on her Facebook page, and obviously that's the foremost band in her mind right now.  We are just her side project.  Our drummer JT took a picture at rehearsal the other night and posted it on Facebook, tagging everyone, and she removed her tag.  I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, as there can be different reasons for that.  She'd just posted a bunch of pictures of her other band's gig, and changed her cover picture to a nice band picture of them, so being tagged in a pic the next day of her rehearsing with a different band would be weird (especially since her other band members would see it, and I don't know if they know she's moonlighting).  Also, it's not a particularly flattering picture for her.

So even though the band sounds pretty fucking great (we really do) and it all seems to be going well, there just seems like a little bit of uncertainty to it all.  But as I said last time, it's nothing I can control or do anything about, so it'll just have to be.  I know, it's only rock and roll.  But I like it.  ♫♫

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #656 on: March 05, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
 :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #657 on: March 17, 2015, 04:38:22 AM »
So it looks like I will soon be moving from acoustic guitar to electric guitar (for the first time in roughly 10 years) with the band at church. 

My guitar is a Fender Strat, and the church just ordered me a Digitech RP500, so I've been messing around with that for the last week or so.  Not sure if I will transition over this week, or wait another week, but it's been fun noodling around with this thing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #658 on: March 17, 2015, 05:25:17 AM »
Cool Hef.  We just had a conference over the weekend at it was the first time in a long time I got to play second guitar.  Had so much fun with my Digitech Whammy.  Got some cool sounds with the 1 Octave Up setting + delay + reverb + volume swirls; real good for the interlude-ish moments in between songs.  I went between my Strat and my Tele.  Strat is far more versatile though, especially for worship. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #659 on: March 17, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
We'll see how it goes.  I am pretty much just a rhythm player, and we already have a lead player, but he doesn't change sounds at all.  He comes from a blues/jazz background, and is a phenomenal lead player, so I don't have to worry about that, but then there was me and another guy both on acoustic.  So I decided to go back to electric to fill out the sound, and hopefully add some texture (and crunch where needed  :metal).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #660 on: March 17, 2015, 06:52:02 AM »
Speaking of adding texture, I sat in on piano this week at my church.  Our praise band has imploded, so our Deacon, who sings and plays acoustic guitar, has been leading the gathering songs each week for a while now.  A mix of modern praise tunes and what I call "Sunday School Songs" -- good old singalong stuff to start off the service.  Anyway, I knew this week's song, so I asked if I could join her, and she was into it.  Even going from just guitar and voice to guitar, voice, and piano makes a big difference.  Now we're an "ensemble".  She was pretty psyched about it and and asked me if I'd like to do this every week.  Of course!  I miss playing, so yeah.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #661 on: March 17, 2015, 07:04:33 AM »
Yeah, it's amazing what an extra instrument can do.

When my wife and I were playing out (her singing, me singing/playing acoustic), it was wild how our sound changed when our oldest daughter started playing percussion (djembe, shakers, rain stick, tambourine, whatever).

On the other hand, we have a fairly full band at church now, and I always find it funny when our music director freaks out if several people will be out.  I always have to assure her that it will be fine, I've played with less.  It will be effective.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #662 on: March 17, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
Music directors can get used to things being a certain way, and their first reaction is to panic if they think too many parts will be missing.  Hey, a song can work with just a voice and guitar or voice and piano, or a capella for that matter.  Anything else you add just makes it better.  There's no "minimum" ensemble required.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #663 on: March 17, 2015, 11:06:52 AM »
Music directors can get used to things being a certain way, and their first reaction is to panic if they think too many parts will be missing.  Hey, a song can work with just a voice and guitar or voice and piano, or a capella for that matter.  Anything else you add just makes it better.  There's no "minimum" ensemble required.
Yep, that's my point of view, as well.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #664 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »
We'll see how it goes.  I am pretty much just a rhythm player, and we already have a lead player, but he doesn't change sounds at all.  He comes from a blues/jazz background, and is a phenomenal lead player, so I don't have to worry about that, but then there was me and another guy both on acoustic.  So I decided to go back to electric to fill out the sound, and hopefully add some texture (and crunch where needed  :metal).

If he's a widdly-widdly kinda lead player then theres a perfect opportunity to add texture.  That's pretty much my place in the church band - if my brother is playing (he's a real Lukather freak) I just stick to fattening up rhythms where necessary, and adding sonic textures/embellishments wherever I can. I definitely don't ascribe to the U2 guitar of most CCM but I admit I would be screwed without delay/reverb in this context :lol

Yep, that's my point of view, as well.

Definitely the truth.  I led our P&W team for two years with one guitar, a bass player and a drummer, and it was absolutely enough.  We had some awesome times.