Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300637 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
My band decided to change our warm-up cover from Overture 1928/Strange Deja-Vu to Solitary Shell/About to Crash (Reprise) so I've been working on those. Expecially AtC(R) is a blast to play on guitar!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
I'm gonna join another band.  Yeah, crazy.  But this one's different.

The local community college has a music program, with an "A" band (I don't know what they're actually called) and a "B" band known as the Concert Band.  The top one is probably the Symphonic Band or something.  Anyway, you can take Concert Band either for credit or as a non-credit course, and there's no audition.  It's pretty much open, since it's not the top-tier band; it's the one for middle-aged shmucks like me who just want to play in a concert band.  If you take it non-credit, it's only $25, basically to cover administrative costs.  So for $25, I get to play in a concert band.  I haven't done that since high school.

One of my co-workers plays in it, and I went to their Winter Concert last month.  Not bad!  They even played a piece I recognized from my days in the high school band known as "Emperata Overture".  So when classes start up again next week, I'm in.  Gonna play saxophone.  Should be cool.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »
Rock on Orbert. Hope you have a damn good wail of a time.

Reminds me: I will take up sax one day... After I take up flute, ruan, pipa and get back into keyboards, probably...
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:11 AM »
It's gonna be fun.  Just a four-month thing.  Classes only run from mid-Jan to mid-May.  And it seems weird to pay to play, but what the hell.  For $25, I get to play in a concert band, a pretty good one.  As musicians, we do what we must to get our fix.

In other news, one of the guys at church sang a solo on Sunday, and I played the piano for him.  He'd asked me back in December.  Some wacky thing in F minor (four flats) so I actually had to practice it a bit.  It went pretty well.  He stopped by last night and dropped off a batch of brownies he'd made as a token of his appreciation.  They're not that good, but hey, free brownies.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:49:38 AM by Orbert »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
I joined the choir for the choral project my association holds every year. On May 4th (Remembrance Day in the Netherlands) we will perform Mozart's Requiem in its entirety. I'm singing bass :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2013, 07:49:24 AM »
Sweet!  :tup

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
Nice one, Elite. Does that mean that now we can "drop the Elite?"
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
In other news, one of the guys at church sang a solo on Sunday, and I played the piano for him.  He'd asked me back in December.  Some wacky thing in F minor (four flats) so I actually had to practice it a bit.  It went pretty well.  He stopped by last night and dropped off a batch of brownies he'd made as a token of his appreciation.  They're not that good, but hey, free brownies.
:lol Truly it's the thought that counts.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Yeah, the guy's a better singer than he is a baker, and to be honest he's not that great a singer.  But it's truly the thought that counts, and mediocre brownies are still better than no brownies.  We takes whats we can gets.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »
I joined the choir for the choral project my association holds every year. On May 4th (Remembrance Day in the Netherlands) we will perform Mozart's Requiem in its entirety. I'm singing bass :)

Bass :hifive:

We're singing Purcell's Dido and Aeneas (sp?) in March, with me being the only bass guy that you can actually hear, 'cause the others are shy.  :yeahright
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
Nice one, Elite. Does that mean that now we can "drop the Elite?"

YES

Bass :hifive:

We're singing Purcell's Dido and Aeneas (sp?) in March, with me being the only bass guy that you can actually hear, 'cause the others are shy.  :yeahright

Nice! Yeah, I had the first practice on Monday and people were really figuring out what to sing. Basically, the gist of the whole thing is that anyone can join, but the end result has to be good. Based on how much I like it (which I really did for the first practice), I may actually join a real choral group.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
Yeah, I had a similar experience. At the beginning of 11th grade, our music teacher promised everyone who participated in the choir full practical marks, because he was in dire need of new people (many of the 12th-graders that had previously graduated had been in the choir). Because of this, I joined the choir and I had so much fun that I stayed, even after our teacher never prolongued the offer after the first concert.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
Whoa.  Got out the saxophone, had to literally dust off the case.  Sightread a bunch of stuff I downloaded off the net for about half an hour, did better than I thought I would.  Fingers still work pretty well, but embouchure is kinda sore and brain kinda hurts.

My plan is to do this again tomorrow and then again on Tuesday, in preparation for the first rehearsal on Wednesday.  I think I can do this.  Of course, I never stopped playing sax completely, but this is, like, real sax playing, which I haven't done in a while.  We shall see.

And then of course I broke it down, cleaned it all up, stashed it, and noticed I was still wearing my neck strap.  Some things never change.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
Cool stuff! Which reminds me that I need to get my sax down from the top of my wardrobe someday :P
Squ

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2013, 10:42:27 PM »
Do it!  Instruments were meant to be played, not stored.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2013, 11:55:32 PM »
I know, I know, I just don't really have anything to play it for. I play my guitar daily and have weekly band practices and such and the piano I play just for the hell of it to get better. I guess I should just do the same with the sax though.
Squ

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »
Well, as long as you're playing.  I was just giving you some shit on behalf of your sax, since mine was so happy to get out of its case for a while.

It's hard to give all your instruments the love they deserve.  My keyboards have been in their cases for almost a year now, too, since I don't have a regular gig that uses them.  Been doing mostly flute and piano lately, and using the piano and keyboards at the church, so I never need to set mine up.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
Keyboard player here!

I'm in a coverband, used to compose classical orientated stuff, now record some small idea's or semi-songs every now and then. But the coverband takes over, we played 30 times last 6 months, and still going upwards!

Here's my setup btw:

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
Loving that red right there.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
It's gotta be a Nord.  Those things are so beautiful.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
That they are, that they are. It leads me to conclude that Nihil must have some bloody epic piano and organ sounds when he plays.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
And skills, right? :p I'm jealous for your vocoder; I need to get one sometime, just for the hell of it.
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
It is indeed a Nord Stage, an 'old' one. I believe I've had it for nearly 5 years now, and still I get compliments about my sounds. It has been the best instrument I've had in my life, and a great investment in my career.
The vocoder is a Korg R3. I've doubted long about having either the MicroKorg XL, or that one, since the micro's are totally cool and fresh, and the R3 is slightly more serious and a tad older, but I'm happy I chose this one. The vocoder is maybe the least useful feature though, Epic, mainly because the mic included is way too sensitive to use on stage, and I don't have the money yet to buy a better mic, I will in the future though, definitely.
On the left side of my Nord, I've placed my especially special playtoy, a Korg Monotron. Wonderful totally analog nano-synth. Just an LFO, Cutoff, Resonance, and pitch-knobs, but crazy sounds.

And Sketchy, thanks, I love how the distorted Hammond sounds on the Nord.

BTW, If you'd like to see a video of us playing, check this out. A friend of my band made this clip of a show we did last month. It's a shame that it turned out to be the last show without my new Korg, though. But check it out!

https://vimeo.com/57242597
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
So, the Concert Band of the College of Lake County rehearses on Wednesday evenings, and last night was the first rehearsal for the Spring Semester.

Whoa.

I have great memories of playing in band in high school and junior high, even grade school.  Hanging out with other people who love music, great concerts, the rush of playing music in a big ensemble, which is so different from a smaller group or going solo.

But I graduated from high school 33 years ago, and during that time, I'd also forgotten a few things.
  • I forgot that you do not start out awesome.  You only get awesome after lots of hard work.  He passed out the music and we read through a couple of pieces, stopping a few times when things were literally coming apart.  Some of it was hard.  I am going to have to practice.  Ugh.
  • It doesn't matter how awesome you might be personally, or your section, or 99% of the band.  If there is even one person in a key position who fucks things up, your band is not awesome.  There were only two percussionists, one who was great and one who had no idea what he was doing.  This was surprisingly apparent sometimes.
  • You are part of a section.  There were only two alto saxophones, and the guy next to me pretty much sucked.  During extended rests (the kind with a thick bar and a number over it) he'd get lost and inevitably come in early, or late, when all he had to do was listen to what was going on and know that it couldn't possibly be the right time.  The director, John, kept looking at us and saying "Altos, please watch" or "Altos, careful with the counting" and stuff like that.  I am associated with the idiot next to me.  The altos suck because he sucks, and I cannot change that.
  • You don't start at the top.  There are actually three alto saxophones, but the first (Tammy) was out of town on business and will be back next week.  She has seniority of course, and I have no intention of coming in, the new guy, and challenging her.  The two of us who were there last night both played the 2nd Alto Saxophone part, and obviously Tammy will be playing 1st.  Fall semester, there were two 1sts and one 2nd.  We can't do that this time, because the other 2nd sucks.  I have to play 2nd.  It doesn't make sense for both me and Tammy to play 1st while the guy who sucks plays 2nd.  I've never played 2nd Anything.
  • There's a first time for everything.  See above.

Anyway, it was still fun, and it will continue to be.  It's just funny how you forget about some things and focus on others.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:26:48 PM by Orbert »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
Lots of useful stuff in that last post!

- Indeed, to get awesome requires insane amounts of time, practice, patience, perseverance and more. I feel that pain almost every day and it's the main reason for driving me to get better and better
- Absolutely fucking true; a band or ensemble is as good as its weakest member.
- Yeah, well to be honest that fucking sucks. I'm singing in the choir now and there's this elderly man who can't sing in tune apparently, so the whole bass section is just bad and we're all blamed for being bad, even though it's only one, maybe two people really screwing up.
- No, you don't. Work your way up, or start all over again. Well, this depends, I've been the guitarist for my band for years now and no-one is going to replace me as long as I'm there and we're not going to have any other guitarist in our band, because I (and the rest of the band) don't want to.
- Yes.

Keep rocking :)
Squ

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
I just woke up from a dream that had a song I'd never heard before.  It was cool but I can only remember the first line of the chorus and the general feel of the song.  I like it when that happens, too bad I can't remember more of it  :facepalm:
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
Is your name Toby Driver?
Squ

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
It isn't :P  I take it that is something he's known for?  I know who he is but aren't familiar with anything other than maudlin of the Well.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
He has this thing with taking music from the dream world and explains in the liner notes from 'Leaving Your Body Map' that Interlude 4 is the pinnacle of motW's music, because it was dreamt entirely. Or something like that, the whole story is pretty vague and I may not recall it correctly; I'll check it in the liner notes if you want.
Squ

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
I wish I could do that.  Sometimes I dream that I'm playing music, and it all sounds great and I'll look at my hands and just marvel at how, without even thinking about it, I'm playing songs I've never played before, seemingly by instinct.  Then I wake up and realize why it all sounded so good.

Supposedly the basis for the song "Tempus Fugit" on the Yes album Drama came to Geoff Downes in a dream.  Before he joined the band, he was a huge Yes fan, and he dreamed that he was playing with them.  When he was later asked to join Yes, it was literally a dream come true.  But he remembered the song he was playing in the dream, and they learned it and put it on the album.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2013, 05:25:52 AM »
Wow, great stories. I have heard melodies in dreams, or orchestrations, but never actual songs, or anything near that.

I must say that, mainly in composing, I do stuff that I later don't understand. I took a composing course during my 4 years at the conservatory, and as a sort of finished work I compiled a cd of my most finished works. All 'performed' by vst's, which is a damn shame.
But I can go back, listen to them (it's two years ago that I finished the last piece of that album), and I sometimes really can't imagine how I did all that. I'm not the kind of guy to say that there's a higher power making you do stuff you can't actually do, but it's really more than just putting black dots on paper. 

Offline Octavaripolis

• DTF's Teenage Weakling
Don't mess with Take The Time.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2013, 06:34:05 PM »
What is that? I don't like clicking random links with music, can you please explain what it is?
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
I'm going to join the practice of a brass ensemble specialised in modern classical music next Monday. Time to get the saxophone out and get practicing! :D
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
You'll be totally saxy, I'm sure of it. :laugh: