Author Topic: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread  (Read 300584 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All musicians unite! - The Musicians Chat Thread
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
Marching Band was the best part of high school!  Dammit, I loved everything about it.

What can possibly be cooler than playing big, ballsy arrangements of songs in the great outdoors?  Playing big, ballsy arrangements of songs in the great outdoors, while marching around in precision formations and making patterns and other cool shit!

When I got to college the first time, I majored in Music Education, and was bummed to find out that most of the marching band was not Music majors.  They just didn't have the time for it because of all those stupid 1- and 2-credit classes we had to take (which still took up a couple hours a week each).  So I didn't march in college.  But man, our high school marching band was awesome.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »
Wow, a third page!
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
3rd post on the 3rd page.

#fuckyeah

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
There's nothing like jamming with old friends, especially when you know each other so well musically that you can almost "finish each other's sentences".

Great feeling  :tup
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Why do I want this so badly? :lol

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
Because it looks pretty god damn nice?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
Is it the yellow?

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
That's a pretty awesome guitar.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »
Electronic yellow is a lie. Anyways cool guitar, add 2 strings and give it to mee.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
It's most likely the yellow, yes  :biggrin: I'm really thinking of getting one, but I can't exactly lose the money, I would need to plunder my savings.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
I guess I missed this thread for awhile but wanted to stop by to announce that I am also a musician, been playing guitar, drums & bass for about 20 years now.  Mainly guitar. 

That yellow Ibanez is pretty cool.  An old buddy of mine has one that's very similar.  I think it has a maple neck though. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
Got a school performance tomorrow, Will be playing Henry Mancini's Baby Elephant Walk in a Clarinet Quartet.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 05:27:42 AM »
Cool, how did it go?

I have the performance night from my study's association tomorrow. I'm going to do two things; a song by my band with a singer and a pianist (me on guitar and backing vocals) and some weird spaced out shit, similar to Terry Riley's 'In C' or work by Steve Reich with two guitars and a violin.

Everything has to be acoustic, since it will be in a small theater. We're not allowed to make much noise.
Squ

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »
Cool, how did it go?
Went really well, everyone loved it.

Good luck with yours!  :tup
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »
Thanks, it was horrible :lol
the singer completely screwed up and I couldn't hold my laughter at the end :P
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »
Thanks, it was horrible :lol
the singer completely screwed up and I couldn't hold my laughter at the end :P

That probably went over well. :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
It was weird, the audience started laughing as well, since it was apparently very visible that I was keeping the laughter inside until I couldn't hold it anymore :lol

The improvisation thing went very well though :)
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
Improvisation is something that I really love, actually. That's the biggest reason why I switched my piano teacher a few years ago - the old one was a very much "by-the-book" guy and that didn't fit what I wanted anymore.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
Yeah, I know man. I was a member of a music(al) club who did all kinds off stuff, including bandcoaching for children's bands (I was a bandcoach) and I was in a band that only played improvisational pieces. Every first Tuesday of the month there was some sort of open mic night, to which people came, took place behind and instrument and started jamming. Usually you'd play with people you didn't know and everything was improvised on the fly. Amazing times and very cool stuff.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »
I'd love to do something like that!

I'm in a big band at the moment, and that's definitely fun, but I still wish sometimes that it were a bit freeer (lol), the only times where I can really let loose, so to speak, is in the solo parts, but even that is strongly reglemented, with chord structures and length and stuff - a bit more freedom would definitely add some fun there.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
Yeah, it was definitely fun and challenging. You really had to keep an eye on and listen to what everyone else was doing in order to make sense of what was going on. We didn't rely on chords, scales or even rhythms, everything just came and went away on the fly, so there's a huge aspect of improvisational skill and musical proficiency involved. Also I found out that the more I did it, the better I got, not necessarily at playing my instrument, but at becoming aware what was happening and how to interact and apply the stuff that was happening not only to myself, but also to take it across to the people I was playing with. You really get a sense of ACTUALLY creating music that way.

I don't know if the above sentences make sense, let me know if they don't :lol
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
It does make sense.

I think. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
:tup
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
Yay, another (short) gig coming up tonight at a Halloween party. We gonna rock that shit yo.
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
I've decided I want to learn to make things more atmospheric and groove laden. Hence, I have decided to make an electronica project which may involve many ambient sounds being used to make backing grooves.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »
YES First band practice in weeks with my prog/metal band next Thursday.
Also, bumping this thread to make it live again :)
Squ

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
Things seem to finally be going somewhere with my project (in that we've found a drummer capable of at least playing the less bastardy things we've come up with, and I've found a pipa player interested in playing live with us (although, we'll have to re-arrange some things so she's got stuff to do on some songs which won't have pipa in the recorded versions).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
This morning at church I got to play drums for most of the set, but the last song I switched to acoustic guitar.  Keeping me on my toes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »
Okay, this is gonna be a sweet challenge.  I'm going to arrange a medley of Christmas songs for violin, two flutes, soprano saxophone, two acoustic guitars, and piano, to play in church on December 9th.  That's the current lineup of the church praise band, so that's what I have to work with.

Interesting constraints:  Neither of the two guitarists is particularly gifted.  They know some chords and can strum without hurting themselves.  The piano girl is even worse.  If it's not written out, she can't play it.  No chord charts, no "jamming" or anything that's not written down, and even at that, she plays at the level of maybe a second-year student.  But she and one of the two guitars are original members and they aren't going anywhere, so like I said, that's what I have to work with.

Of the two "main" guys, one plays violin and actually has musical talent, though it's all classical training.  No jamming, but he can play anything that's written.  The other played saxophone in school bands and has some chops, but again, no jamming.  We recently added the flute girl, mostly for her voice, but I've been totally exploiting her flute lately and putting it with the violin for lead lines and stuff.  I play piano and woodwinds.  They took the piano away from bad piano girl after I joined, but since we want this to be all instrumental, she's playing piano and I'll play flute.

It's gonna be one of those arrangements where nothing is really hard to play (since it has to be that way), but sounds pretty nice if everyone plays what they're supposed to play.  Melodies and harmornies will be shared by the four "lead" instruments.  I have to be careful because the soprano sax is naturally much louder than the violin or flutes.  Chords and rhythm will be courtesy of the guitars and piano.  Since all the guitarists can do is strum, the piano will get some arpy stuff for color, and also provide the bass part where necessary (when things get "big").

Here's the sick part:  I think I can do it.  We perform the piece three weeks from today, and I just started writing the other night.  Heh heh.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
I love arranging, especially medleys. Coming up with the transitional material is the best part. Which songs are you going to mash up?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »
This is just my first crack at something like this, and both rehearsal time and actual musical talent is pretty limited, so I'm just keeping it simple.  Three songs, all in C major, all in three, so no transitions, just four bars of C and the next song starts.  It Came Upon the Midnight Clear -> Silent Night, Holy Night -> The First Noel.  I'm trying to see how many tricks I can come up with to counter that fact that the sax is like 1.5 times as loud as the other lead instruments.  It's interesting.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
Such is the unique challenge of writing for a specific ensemble. Well, good luck at any rate.  :tup
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 10:53:05 PM »
Thanks.  It's fun so far.  I'm about halfway done, and I think it will work.  I'm planning on recording it, but whether or not I post it here will depend on how well it turns out.  We'll see.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
Good luck, Orbert. Rock their worlds (I know you will).

I have finally found someone willing to play some of the keyboard parts for the music project I've been in since the first year of uni, so we may actually get to play live.

Currently we have: Vox (if Zan is available, otherwise we may have to persuate Songbai to sing things in English, ie. our songs. She's a pretty damn good singer, and has sung on the west end before).
Guitar (that's David, so that's also an indeterminate number of other things too, he's played in a crazy selection of things, from orchestras to jazz bands to metal bands)
Drums (although we're working with him on 6, as we have a lot of six, and he's never really done that before, but is getting the idea, is a pretty cool dude and an orchestral percussionist, so it should be cool)
Keys (the guy has some classical training and some jazz training, and is very interested in the stuff we've written, he's played live before but not for a while or very often, he's a JR fan, so that's cool with me).
Bass (and guzheng, that's me, but I've never played live before other than one school concert and that was on piano. I was pretty crap but: oh well, it was fun)
Pipa (Songbai has played live many times and often gets paid to play for chinese new year, so she's pretty competent, but hasn't played anything other than chinese classical, and certainly not in a prog rock band before and is asking for chart, but I'm more than happy to provide that because I love the sound of pipa).

So yeah. Maybe I'm premature in this, but bring it on.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
No guts, no glory, right?  I figure getting out there and playing is always better than sitting and not playing.  In my experience, anything that's not horrible is appreciated by whatever audience you have, because they're all sitting there going "Well, it's better than I could do."  That's why we have the expression "A gig's a gig."

The only exception would be if you literally went out and totally sucked, but that rarely happens.  If you're good at all, you know when you're not ready for a gig, and as I said, pretty much anything is gonna be appreciated.  Heck, I count on my audience not being as critical as I am.

I finished my arrangement the other day and emailed the parts out.  We shall see.