Author Topic: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?  (Read 27138 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
Interesting stat: The 2010 Soccer World Cup Final was watched by 24 million Americans, up from 19 million in 2006. My theory is that once the men's US soccer team becomes internationally competitive, soccer will make massive inroads in the US.

Regular Season NFL games alone get 20 million viewers.

Superbowl?  111 million.

I'm not contesting that soccer is minor as of this point in the US. My point is rather that soccer is getting more popular in the US itself, a place dominated by other sports currently.
And overall, over 1 billion people were estimated to have watched the soccer finals around the world.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »
On a P/R-y note, i gotta say that having a good soccer team buys you a *lot* of goodwill from people around the world. I would show up in some remote corner of the world on my trip, and after hearing that I'm German they would enumerate the German soccer players they knew (Beckenbauer etc.)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
Interesting stat: The 2010 Soccer World Cup Final was watched by 24 million Americans, up from 19 million in 2006. My theory is that once the men's US soccer team becomes internationally competitive, soccer will make massive inroads in the US.

Regular Season NFL games alone get 20 million viewers.

Superbowl?  111 million.

I'm not contesting that soccer is minor as of this point in the US. My point is rather that soccer is getting more popular in the US itself, a place dominated by other sports currently.
And overall, over 1 billion people were estimated to have watched the soccer finals around the world.

rumborak

I was just throwing out stats too...not trying to make a major point.

But soccer will never be more than a fringe sport here in the US without a serious US professional league that has some seriously marketable stars.  You will need guys like Jordan/Lebron to give soccer any hope of success here.  I dont see that happening.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
This clip says a fair bit about the perspective of other cultures of American sport and in a lot of ways of American culture in general. Though to be honest, Stephen Fry was trying to create a positive image of America on this show, so he sugarcoats a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cl-f8NABMM

Maybe this is what really matters.  When the Jets flew over, all I could think was "God, America is awesome."
Whereas I find almost everything about this clip unspeakably revolting. Footage like this makes it possible for me to understand how there are people in the world who would commit terrorist acts in the hope that American influence in their own parts of the world might be adversely affected. If this is the culture that surrounds the sport, I wouldn't want to come within a thousand miles of it. And that's before you even look at the game itself.

Normally, I feel like I'm insane when I argue these things.  But in this case, I know I'm not.  It's not like Football is some marginally popular thing, and I'm explaining why the play stoppages are only theoretically part of the appeal.  I've watched Football with other human beings, and I know for a fact that the play stoppages are crucial to the viewing experience.  During parts of the game where there are fewer stoppages of play (no huddle comeback drives at the end of games for example), the game becomes a completely emotional and primal experience.  But the human brain can't watch a sporting event this way for 3 hours.  The play stoppages are chances to breathe and digest during the game.  And to socialize.  It's totally gotten a bit out of hand because of the commercials, but the natural stops in the game are good for it.
Other sports have stoppages. They're just too common, too long, and too jarring to the flow of the game in AF. I mean, the fact that it's even possible to put commercial breaks within the game without severely interrupting it and delaying live footage is absurd.

the game offers them very little opportunity to display talent, and at the end of the day, watching athletes display talent is what makes sport entertaining, to me, at least.

Mmmm?  Every play inevitably features at least one borderline super human act.

This is why I've never understood the argument that American football is more of a "coach's sport" than most other sports and less of a "player's sport", and that that's somehow a good thing.  I don't watch sports to see two coaches match wits while a bunch of players stand around doing fuck all. I watch sports to see two coaches match wits within a game system in which athletes can actually perform. If a sport is written in a way that I can't turn on the TV and rely on seeing players doing that, on a minute for minute, or even second for second basis, why would I watch it? 

- I can't think of a sport where the coaches have a bigger role than in Football.

- It's a good thing because it means that every play, no matter how interesting, has a level of overall strategic depth to it that no other sport has.  The beauty of Football is the way 11 different players are acting in concert to achieve a result, and seeing if the play succeeds or fails.  This is actually impossible in other sports because of the level of improvisation.  There's a reason stars matter in Hockey, Basketball, and Soccer moreso than they do in Football, because the team aspect of those games is less important.  The regimentation of Football means that every member of the team, from the quarterback to the right guard, is crucial.  In Basketball, you can have a bad player on the court to simply absorb a defender while your star player makes things happen.  In Football, a bad player potentially ruins everything.

- I don't feel like you're appreciating the level of split-second decision making that goes on in the game.  Partially this is because they don't really show the defensive backfield on TV, which is the NFL's fault.  But I don't see how you can't appreciate how hard it is to be an NFL QB.  I can't think of a more difficult job in any professional sport.
All I know is when I watched AF, I was sitting waiting for the players to do something that would interest me, and it never happened. If that's what happens in a coach's sport of extreme strategic depth, then no thanks.

The way you describe AF just gives the impression you think there is practically no internal strategy to other team sports, that it's just a bunch of guys running around doing whatever the fuck they want with absolutely no regard of the players around them, let alone an overall team strategy. Strategy doesn't have to mean every single play needs to be planned down to which blades of grass each player's foot is going to fall on, and that you have to stop every single time to talk about it and work it out.

And in fact, I would argue that the sheer degree of planning that goes into every play in AF severely detracts from the team aspect of the sport. In most team sports, that group of people have to be so well-practiced together, working together as a unit so cohesively, that they can create those moments spontaneously, out of thin air, in the midst of play that's already been going on for several minutes, if they even sniff the opportunity. You don't have time to stand around and talk about it, you may not even have time to communicate to each other what move or play you're going to try. A team that is well-honed enough will see the chance, and be able to just do it. I can't even imagine an AF team being able to do that, because they struggle to put together ten seconds of play if they haven't laboriously discussed it in advance. They have only the most basic sense of intuitive team psyche or spontaneous ability. They're a bunch of individuals who briefly perform a pre-planned function in coordination with other individuals to meet a temporary objective, over and over and over again.

And in any professional team sport I know of, every player in every position is crucial, and has to be excellent at what they do. The moment there's a weaker player in the chain, the opposition will exploit it. That's not something unique to AF.

Offline Cable

« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2012, 05:56:04 PM »
You still are generalizing that all football players are dumb and that all fans are over the top, and that all baseball players are intelligent which is so far from the truth.

I never said ALL, i said that many tend to be, and most of that has to do with the fans and teams i see around where i live.  and while i admit im being general, i never said every single player is a moron, because that isnt true

This is still a generalization. Do you believe that high school or college american football is at the same level as professional? How about high school real football/soccer and baseball vs. pros or the world stage? Yes, morons play at the lower levels, and should be a lot more than the pros. Look at the plays that are called; not any near the level as the pros. I would not expect a high school baseball pitcher to have 4 different pitches and be able to throw 100 MPH either.

And many fans are stupid. That cannot be held against the sport however. I doubt many know the nuances of real football/soccer or baseball.

Yes, there are some stupid football players at any level; how is this different than any other sport? There have been some really lame baseball players. I cannot speak for real football/soccer players as it gets virtually no publicity in this country.

Some defensive lineman are morons and do not require a high level of intelligence. The same goes for WR's; typically some of the biggest morons on a team, even though it is a complex position when done well. I think what may skew opinions is the background that many football players come from. It is quite unfair to think of all football players as stupid due to a bunch of low socioeconomic status players breaking it big.

When Ryan Fitzpatrick scores near perfect on the Wonderlic (intelligence) test, and typically the most successful QBs, DB safeties, Linebackers and lineman year in, year out due very well on the test, this says something about the game.
Playbooks are hundreds of pages, and change each year, if not during the year too. Each team watches hour upon hours of film, and the best players watch it on their own time too. They have lecture hall meetings about their match-ups, and what not and what to do.

And I do believe that the stoppages allow for more strategy then a lot of other games. How can a real football/soccer team and captains, or basketball players call plays when the action is more non-stop?

This is fine that we debate the original thread topic. Insulting the intelligence of american football players is missing the mark I think.
---

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
How can a real football/soccer team and captains, or basketball players call plays when the action is more non-stop?

The coach is essentially out of the equation until halftime. But that's also a nice thing, because it requires the players themselves to decide what play they will do. You can't deny that AF is very scripted.

Offline Cable

« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
How can a real football/soccer team and captains, or basketball players call plays when the action is more non-stop?

The coach is essentially out of the equation until halftime. But that's also a nice thing, because it requires the players themselves to decide what play they will do. You can't deny that AF is very scripted.

No, I cannot. I just never recall ever the attention to specific movement on plays when I played american football compared to when I played soccer, baseball and basketball as a kid.

The dumb players in american football are obvious when they blow plays and coverages. Maybe the overall intelligence is higher for players in other sports, I could go with that. But to say the sport as a whole, and those involved are not as intelligent as in other sports is off.
---

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
On a P/R-y note, i gotta say that having a good soccer team buys you a *lot* of goodwill from people around the world. I would show up in some remote corner of the world on my trip, and after hearing that I'm German they would enumerate the German soccer players they knew (Beckenbauer etc.)
Yep, same here. When I mention the Netherlands, the first thing that comes up is soccer. Bus driver in Sweden gave me a discount because I said I preferred PSV over Ajax  :lol.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
I think that game plans are made for both AF and Soccer and yet it's the players that need to execute what the coaching staff puts in.

No doubt soccer is a faster, non stop paced game.  Some Americans would say a 0-0 soccer game is boring but I think real sport fans know better.  It's all about upbringing.  I'm just happy to love American football and love the Soccer is gaining popularity in the USA.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
Yep, same here. When I mention the Netherlands, the first thing that comes up is soccer. Bus driver in Sweden gave me a discount because I said I preferred PSV over Ajax  :lol.

Just hop over the border to Germany, you'll be safe from any compliments to your country's team :lol

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »

So is war.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »
baseball is only still very popular because it's the only sport in the designated time of the year. what else is there to watch in summer? no prime time shows, no sports, just baseball.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2012, 07:26:27 PM »
baseball is only still very popular because it's the only sport in the designated time of the year. what else is there to watch in summer? no prime time shows, no sports, just baseball.
I don't agree. I love Baseball. I would watch it no matter what time of year it was on. Its not for everyone I guess.
I'm a Met fan and I still love Baseball! Now that is a fan!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
Whereas I find almost everything about this clip unspeakably revolting.

Why?  I don't understand this.

Other sports have stoppages. They're just too common, too long, and too jarring to the flow of the game in AF. I mean, the fact that it's even possible to put commercial breaks within the game without severely interrupting it and delaying live footage is absurd.

The commercial breaks are horrible for the flow of the game.  I'd completely agree with you there.

All I know is when I watched AF, I was sitting waiting for the players to do something that would interest me, and it never happened. If that's what happens in a coach's sport of extreme strategic depth, then no thanks.

Personal taste dude.

The way you describe AF just gives the impression you think there is practically no internal strategy to other team sports, that it's just a bunch of guys running around doing whatever the fuck they want with absolutely no regard of the players around them, let alone an overall team strategy. Strategy doesn't have to mean every single play needs to be planned down to which blades of grass each player's foot is going to fall on, and that you have to stop every single time to talk about it and work it out.

It's not that the other sports have no strategy.  It's just that Football exists at another level.  If you tried to play Football without a playbook, the sport would be a disaster.

And in fact, I would argue that the sheer degree of planning that goes into every play in AF severely detracts from the team aspect of the sport. In most team sports, that group of people have to be so well-practiced together, working together as a unit so cohesively, that they can create those moments spontaneously, out of thin air, in the midst of play that's already been going on for several minutes, if they even sniff the opportunity. You don't have time to stand around and talk about it, you may not even have time to communicate to each other what move or play you're going to try. A team that is well-honed enough will see the chance, and be able to just do it. I can't even imagine an AF team being able to do that, because they struggle to put together ten seconds of play if they haven't laboriously discussed it in advance. They have only the most basic sense of intuitive team psyche or spontaneous ability. They're a bunch of individuals who briefly perform a pre-planned function in coordination with other individuals to meet a temporary objective, over and over and over again.

This doesn't sound like something written by someone who understands Football.  There's a reason Quarterbacks and Receivers spend time practicing together in the off-season.  The QB needs to understand how the receiver runs.  The receiver needs to understand how the Quarterback makes reads and decisions.  Linebackers are coached as a group so they know how to best maximize each other's potential of making a play when the opposing team runs the ball, as opposed to all doing the same thing and running into each other.  Offensive linemen coordinate with each other like synchronized swimmers to provide coherent protection from the ball.

The players aren't incapable of performing without a playbook because Football isn't a team sport.  They're incapable of performing without a playbook because Football is fucking complicated.

And in any professional team sport I know of, every player in every position is crucial, and has to be excellent at what they do. The moment there's a weaker player in the chain, the opposition will exploit it. That's not something unique to AF.

Purely comparing Football to Basketball, I find that weaknesses are far easier to exploit in Football.  I could be wrong.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »

You know how often a football team has to be so well practiced together that they can create plays out of thin air?

Every snap of the football.

Every play on each side of the ball requires 11 people doing the right thing, being in the right place, and reacting in the moment to what 11 other people are doing at the same time. Just because there's a break between each play doesn't make football any less complex than a sport like hockey or soccer where the play is more wide open. It looks simple only because they spend the season AND the off season practicing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2012, 07:02:26 AM »
ITT: American football fans don't understand why other people (US or not) don't like the sport as much as they do.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »
ITT: American football fans don't understand why other people (US or not) don't like the sport as much as they do.

I disagree.  We understand it's more of the pace of the game where there is stoppage after every play and the micro managing of each play.

I feel that's what's killing baseball here in America.  4 to 5 hour games ar out of control.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2012, 07:53:44 AM »
But think of the amount of food and beer you can get in 4 to 5 hours!!! When you're half way through you are already so drunk you don't care that it's up for 2 more hours  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »
But think of the amount of food and beer you can get in 4 to 5 hours!!! When you're half way through you are already so drunk you don't care that it's up for 2 more hours  :lol

With football you get your beer and food tailgating 4 hours before!

I KNOW! :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
That was a great three pages of reading. The horse is dead, you guys are just pissing on the body now, I love it. :lol

Part of the problem is the fans too, I'm in norcal and have to deal with raider fans, the whole mentality of these over the top football fans can just be too much to handle for me.

As someone who has lived in the Bay Area his whole life, don't base anything on the Raider Nation, they are a "special" type of fan unto themselves.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
I've got absolutely no dog in this race because I don't really watch ANY sports, including Football, but man, some of the responses in this thread are extremely funny  :lol

I played football in high school.  It's not quite the knuckle-dragging drool-fest that some of you make it out to be. Don't think so? Memorize a 150-page playbook -and properly execute your part in those plays- then get back to me.   

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
I certainly don't see how Football players are any dumber than soccer players on average. Anybody who's seen enough soccer player interviews knows that very well. They can say the dumbest things.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
Totally agree with you there, rumbo.

"Milan or Madrid, the main thing is that it's in Italy!" is my personal favourite quote by a soccer player.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
One interesting note:  Football video games are great for the sport because they let you actually call plays and understand what goes into making a Football team work. 

Agreed.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »

"Milan or Madrid, the main thing is that it's in Italy!" is my personal favourite quote by a soccer player.

Jürgen Wegmann - "At first we weren't particularly lucky, but then bad luck came on top of that"
Rolf Rüßmann - "If we can't win, at least we're gonna mangle your lawn!"
Franz Beckenbauer
    - "The Swedes were no Dutch, that was plain to see."
    - "You know who I felt most sorry for? The ball."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »

Jürgen Wegmann - "At first we weren't particularly lucky, but then bad luck came on top of that"
Rolf Rüßmann - "If we can't win, at least we're gonna mangle your lawn!"
Franz Beckenbauer - "The Swedes were no Dutch, that was plain to see."

Well, the first two aren't really that stupid, they're just good quotes. The third one is the kind I'm talking about. :lol

Also, I just remembered another one, by Mario Basler. "Congratulations to [some guy whose name I forgot], his wife become a father for the second time today."

:rollin
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jsem

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
I completely agree with Rumborak on this thread.

However, let's meet somewhere inbetween. Everyone should become an avid follower of Australian Football (aussie rules) and/or Gaelic Football. Those sports are kind of a mixture, and the sports are some of the best entertainment you'll find.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
One interesting note:  Football video games are great for the sport because they let you actually call plays and understand what goes into making a Football team work. 

Agreed.

Holy crap - I saw that and heard the buzzers and whistles in my head

But really,

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2012, 02:56:38 PM »
Oh yeah?  Then how about THIS bit of awesomeness?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfAYq0DZJs
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:53 PM »
I'm not certain, are you talking about those quick logo on the screen commercial breaks?  At a game, you certainly can tell when it's televised or not, Breaks in play are extended regularly to accommodate commercials.  20 years ago you could go to a major DI college game that wasn't televised.  Those games went a lot swifter, things like change of possession are much, much faster.  What you're not seeing during those commercials is a field full of players, refs, and whatnot just standing and waiting.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »

Agreed.

Oh yeah?  Then how about THIS bit of awesomeness?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfAYq0DZJs

I'm 12 all lover again.  My thumbs were lighting fast.  And Activision should have made a football game.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
Btw, an interesting associated fact, and disproving Snapple's "tradition" theory, two other American sports, Basketball and Volleyball, successfully transitioned out of their home country and are played worldwide.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
Because:
There are no local leagues.
It's complicated.
It has way to much stoppage time.
It's commercialsbowl.
It's not implemented in other cultures as much as it is on the USA.

If America wanted Football Soccer to be big, it would be big. They would beat you over the head with it on Movies, TV shows, Songs, Commercials and stuff, until it is accepted.
Case in point:
But soccer will never be more than a fringe sport here in the US without a serious US professional league that has some seriously marketable stars.  You will need guys like Jordan/Lebron to give soccer any hope of success here.  I dont see that happening.
If someone wants to make the NFL as big as it is in US you have to market it. That means you have to:
Make domestic leagues
Create teams
Basically form markeatable palyers and shit.

So the NFL would have to transform in some sort of FIFA-like organization. An THAT I don't see it happening any time soon.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
I'm 12 all lover again.  My thumbs were lighting fast.  And Activision should have made a football game.
I always played this one growing up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yg9A3Y3q4

I still think that's the best one on the 2600, although Super Football was cool if only for having a 3D like appearance.  Super Challenge Football biggest flaw as that you could run off the back of the screen and show up on the other side after awhile.  Really nice for mixing in strategy and reflexes for an early sports simulation, though.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »
Look, this is all culture-based.  American football will always be top dog here in the USA and misunderstood or disliked everywhere else.  And soccer will always be top dog in the rest of the world, and a fringe sport here in the USA.  And that's fine.

But to all the Europeans and others who are insulting American football for its complexity and how long it takes, I give you cricket.  WTF is that fucking bullshit.

BTW, I can't stand soccer.  Sure, it's quick-paced and non-stop action, but it bugs the shit out of me that a game like that ends up with a score of 2-1, or 1-0.  Boring.  But if you like that sort of thing, hey, more power to you.  But I like offense, and lots of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.