Author Topic: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?  (Read 27053 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
I'm not arguing that soccer is any more or less popular than you think. I'm arguing about the simplicity of the game. And, I'm not saying it's as simple as you say. I'm arguing that other sports are JUST as simple.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
But can you say you actually played rugby?

Actually yes, I believe I can.  This was at recess at school, so there were a few of us, and the only rule we actually understood was that the ball couldn't be passed forward.  And we did have scrums, too, although they were more or less just reverse games of tug of war with everyone trying to push everyone else away from the ball. 

Also, even getting your point, I don't understand why it has to be just two kids.  The number of people it takes determines popularity of the game?  That explains why solitaire is so much more popular than poker, I guess...

EDIT: Ninja'd!

:neverusethis:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
@Snapple: American Football and Baseball are as simple as soccer, both in terms of necessary equipment and rules? Wtf dude.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »

Also, even getting your point, I don't understand why it has to be just two kids.  The number of people it takes determines popularity of the game?

Of course it does. A sport that can be played by 2, 3,4,5, etc people is more likely to be played than a sport that needs at least 5 people to become the "real game". That's just plain mathematics.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
as far as rules go, soccer is the simplest, even idiots who play in the world stage can figure out what to do. american football has a shit ton of rules and playbooks that idiots have to remember so the media can claim it's like a chess game when it's just run forward a few steps then turn moron. soccer has a ball, pass it forward and score on the goal, nothing more to it. so even though equal levels of moron play both sports, soccer is the winner by the rules to play on a pick up game and casual fan to figure out what is happening apart from off sides, that's probably very confusing in both soccer and hockey to figure out if you are a casual on looker.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
Of course it does. A sport that can be played by 2, 3,4,5, etc people is more likely to be played than a sport that needs at least 5 people to become the "real game". That's just plain mathematics.

All other things being equal, yes.  But I don't think it alone answers a question like 'why isn't football popular elsewhere' when kids actually CAN play it without much trouble, it just takes more than two of them. 

american football has a shit ton of rules and playbooks that idiots have to remember so the media can claim it's like a chess game when it's just run forward a few steps then turn moron.

... Well, if it's just run forward a few steps and then turn, then it's not really complicated at all, is it?   ???  Not saying football is that simple, just saying you're contradicting yourself. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »
American Football and Baseball are as simple as soccer, both in terms of necessary equipment and rules? Wtf dude.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
To be fair, I think soccer (hate that word) being as simple as it is, is the main reason why it is so loved. People don't want 3000 rules they need to learn, they just want something simple and entertaining.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
Dude, snapple, I agree with you on this, but I don't have the faintest idea what those pictures were meant to prove.   
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »

All other things being equal, yes.  But I don't think it alone answers a question like 'why isn't football popular elsewhere' when kids actually CAN play it without much trouble, it just takes more than two of them. 

american football has a shit ton of rules and playbooks that idiots have to remember so the media can claim it's like a chess game when it's just run forward a few steps then turn moron.

... Well, if it's just run forward a few steps and then turn, then it's not really complicated at all, is it?   ???  Not saying football is that simple, just saying you're contradicting yourself.

well that's just the main play, there are blocks on the offense, defense lines, people running fake routes, but individual player just has to do what he is told, which is essentially block to the right/left, run a route, or throw a ball, so the sport is confusing to watch to an outsider but individual player doesn't have to do much but run and turn in a very fast pace, which takes athleticism. blockers just have to be really big, muscular and at the same time fat so they can't be moved.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Dude, snapple, I agree with you on this, but I don't have the faintest idea what those pictures were meant to prove.

because he isn't going to listen either way on this. therefore, an example from each sport showing a professional getting hit in the game.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
American Football and Baseball are as simple as soccer, both in terms of necessary equipment and rules? Wtf dude.

in baseball you get a walk whether you get demolished or grazed. in soccer, you have to really sell it to get anything from the ref.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
or, pretend to get injured (a.k.a. "diving")

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
... So it has nothing to do with the point about simplicity?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
... So it has nothing to do with the point about simplicity?

Nothing at all. Well, other than men being men as opposed to men being pussies.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »

Have you ever tried to explain baseball to someone who's never heard of it? It takes a loooong time. There's innings (bottom & top), strikes and balls, bases, different things happening whether the ball was caught or not...
The most complicated rule of soccer is offside , seriously.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
So, soccer just caters to a bunch of idiots? *reloads with his new ammo*

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »

Also, look at Aqua Velva commercials. Or shit, ANY commercial where it shows dad bonding with his son. I'll bet you 9/10 times they're playing catch. It will be football or baseball (usually baseball, but they show it both ways). I understand what it is you're trying to say. But, it's one of those things where your recollection of what may actually be the case isn't the case at all.

This actually made me realize something. In male bonding commercials, most of the time it's a football being passed around like you said. But change the commercial to one for minivans or laundry detergent, and suddenly most depictions are of women being soccer moms.

Maybe there's some sort of sexist subliminal messages going on there. Saying soccer isn't manly or something. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »

Also, look at Aqua Velva commercials. Or shit, ANY commercial where it shows dad bonding with his son. I'll bet you 9/10 times they're playing catch. It will be football or baseball (usually baseball, but they show it both ways). I understand what it is you're trying to say. But, it's one of those things where your recollection of what may actually be the case isn't the case at all.

This actually made me realize something. In male bonding commercials, most of the time it's a football being passed around like you said. But change the commercial to one for minivans or laundry detergent, and suddenly most depictions are of women being soccer moms.

Maybe there's some sort of sexist subliminal messages going on there. Saying soccer isn't manly or something. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Most likely something sexist and subliminal. But, my dad taught me how to throw a football and swing a bat. He also played catch with me and all that jazz. Never will forget that kind of stuff.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
So, soccer just caters to a bunch of idiots? *reloads with his new ammo*

Sure, why not? This thread isn't about" which is the best sport" (which is what you seem to get hung up on), it's which sport is easiest to pick up or watch.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
"Re: Why Isn't American Football More Popular Outside of America?"

That's actually what it says above my post. It appears we're both off topic.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
Good point :lol

You still haven't told us what your theory is.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

Snapple, you're on your own.  You lost me saying soccer players are idiots and pussies.  Have fun. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:57:37 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
Good point :lol

You still haven't told us what your theory is.

It's already been said in the thread by other members: you love what you grow up with. I think, that, you have a sport like soccer that has been around for a long time and you mix that with the way Europe and the rest of the world (minus the USA) was kind of held together, it's inevitable that soccer is as popular as it is globally. Europe controlled most of the world for a long period of time. It's just natural that thing would spread. Look at the Meiji period in Japan. Now, I know the Japanese do everything to the ^n, but they went through radical changes based on their trading with Europe and the Americas.

So, what happens is what you have generations of clubs being passed down, fan bases along with them and you get the climate we have today. It's 100% the same in the USA. Different sports of different ages, but the most popular (football and baseball) have very old roots in American society. I mean, the US would ask suspected German spies who won the World Series the previous year (to see if they were truly American or not).

EDIT: Look at how nations like Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Panama and Venezuela churn out top-tier baseball talent year after year. Most of those countries were under US rule at some point.

I could probably write a dissertation on the subject, but I haven't the time. I hope the point is understood, however.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:56:25 PM by snapple »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
The US has dominated a lot of the world in the 20th century. With your theory there should be a lot of pockets in the world where American sports are played. Other than Japan I can't think of any really

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
The US has dominated a lot of the world in the 20th century. With your theory there should be a lot of pockets in the world where American sports are played. Other than Japan I can't think of any really

I just edited my post to add a few countries. and another edit: that's for baseball. The ethics behind what those countries do to get these top level players is awful and will probably exist as long as there is a payday.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »

I was under the impression Koreans also were really into baseball? Although if not, I still have Korean StarCraft to fall back on. :p
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »

I was under the impression Koreans also were really into baseball? Although if not, I still have Korean StarCraft to fall back on. :p

Yeah. and Australian baseball is booming every year.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
That says something about baseball but nothing about gridiron football.   ???
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »

using baseball to kind of support my thesis about why soccer is so globally important and why football isnt + baseball is a bit older than football*

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
I'm btw not disagreeing with the theory that tradition has a big influence on things. But, most places have sports coexisting, so it's not as if some sports are shut out. Nonetheless soccer continues to increase its popularity, even in the presence of other sports.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
Interesting stat: The 2010 Soccer World Cup Final was watched by 24 million Americans, up from 19 million in 2006. My theory is that once the men's US soccer team becomes internationally competitive, soccer will make massive inroads in the US.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

using baseball to kind of support my thesis about why soccer is so globally important and why football isnt + baseball is a bit older than football*

Baseball, Basketball, and American Football were all invented in the 1800's.  I cant see how the differences in dates of origin matter if they were all invented more than 120 years ago.  The time the sport has been around is not really relevant in this discussion IMO.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »
Interesting stat: The 2010 Soccer World Cup Final was watched by 24 million Americans, up from 19 million in 2006. My theory is that once the men's US soccer team becomes internationally competitive, soccer will make massive inroads in the US.

Regular Season NFL games alone get 20 million viewers.

Superbowl?  111 million.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »

most likely. At least on that level. But baseball and football will continue to reign supreme.