Author Topic: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Roulette Over, Heretic Wins!  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Hey folks!
The time has finally come for me to start my roulette, and hopefully it will run quite smoothly. Unlike many other members who are busy with school or work, I currently have nothing on my schedule (since I continue studying halfway through September), so getting regular updates should not be a problem on my part. :)
In this post I will try to explain the details for the roulette, also the participants and the different rounds. I think most of you should be familiar with the "deal" by now, but if someone isn't 100% sure of the rules, they are quite simple.
Everyone sends me a song fitting under the Round-theme by an artist or a band that I don't know but you think I might like. I check the songs out and score them, eventually we get a winner after all the rounds are done.

The Participants:
*Ravenheart
*Heretic
*Gorille85
*kári
*Lateralus88
*ClairvoyantCat

So 6 participants, all are cool dudes.
Before I go through the most important information, I thought I would already give you the rounds. This way, it might help with planning or some thinking about what to send for which round, and if you feel like it's too much to take in right now, you can skip the Round-section for now and come back to it as the roulette moves forward. However, make sure you check out the last section of this post since it will have some key information.  :tup

Rounds:

Round 1 - Open
Like the title suggests, an open round where you can send pretty much whatever you want. Maybe something that doesn't quite fit into the other categories, or just something cool overall.

Round 2 - Dark/Layered
For Rounds 2 and 3, my initial idea was to have two opposite rounds. At first I played with the idea of a Heavy round and a Soft round, but I know that some people listen to more softer music and some listen to more heavier, so I think that would have been unfair. My idea instead changed to this, the thought of a Dark round and one Light round.
The title is fairly open to interpretation, and what's dark to someone might not be as dark to someone else. But when I think of "Dark", I think about the words "dense", "layered". Perhaps also a bit "depressing" or a sad atmosphere.

Round 3 - Light/Scaled Down
So, as the opposite round of Round 2, here I want something drastically different from the previous round. To me the word "Light" could be used in the same context as "Scaled Down", "Positive" and maybe "Uplifting". If the previous round had a song with lots of layers and lots of things going on, then I would want this to be something more simple, something more basic.
But again, the title is very open to interpretation, and I will have a fairly open mind regarding what you might send.

Round 4 - Avant-Garde/Experimental
Bring on the odd stuff! This round will also be a bit vague in the sense that "Avant-Garde" and "Experimental" can have different meanings to different people. I'm looking for something that isn't your typical song structure, but instead a song that takes on some twists and turns and has something related to the round-title. Avant-Garde or Experimental? It's your choice.

Round 5 - Fusion
Sort of inspired by Xanthul's roulette. In this round I'm looking for a song that blends different elements together. It could be Metal and Electronica or Jazz and Progressive Rock, I'm more interested in how these elements work together and how good the song is, than what the elements are. It can be more than two musical styles in one song as well, but at least two fairly obvious influences should be clear in the song.

Round 6 - New
Two more opposite-rounds. As the title suggests, here I'm looking for something new. A band or an artist with only one album out would be pretty optimal, but if you have one with two albums out, then it's not a big deal.

Round 7 - Old
"Old" can have different meanings. For some, music from the 90's is old, for others the same word applies to music from the 70's. I'm not going to set a year, but I'm thinking pre-90's. If you happen to have something to send from the first years of the 90's, then that's fine too.

Round 8 - Band Round
Sometimes it's hard to get someone interested in a band or an artist just with one song. This is where Round 8 comes in. Here you will send 3 songs by one band/artist, and the score will be based on how good those 3 songs are. Apart from that, the theme is open. It can be 3 songs by a singer/songwriter or by a metalband, or anything else. Your pick!

Rules/Information:

*The scoring system will be 0 to 10 for each song in each round, and there might also be a bonus point if I've been meaning to check out the band/artist or if the song fits perfectly into the round-theme.

*Sending the songs and how you do it might be very different. A Grooveshark or a Youtube link in a PM with some basic information about the song/artist, but sending an .mp3 file also works. If you want to do the latter, my email is: jimmy.olofsson@outlook.com

*Knowing what to send and what you can't send, use my lastfm profile: www.last.fm/user/Zantera/library?sortBy=name
It should be sorted alphabetically, and here you can simply browse through what I have listened to and what I know.
HOWEVER.. I do happen to have some artists scrobbled, but I don't quite know them. The reason is that I used Spotify a lot last summer, added lots of stuff to my list, and had the list on random. So I'm gonna allow some exceptions if I have less then 20 scrobbles of something, but if I have scrobbled the song itself then I can't really allow it. (20 is a high number, but in some cases I might have one song scrobbled that many times and not much else)

So, I'm gonna send out some PMs and hopefully we can get this show on the road. :)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:00:49 AM by Zantera »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Re: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Cool!! I'll send you one tonight :)
BTW is there any format you prefer? Like if you prefer grooveshark/youtube over MP3, or prefer MP3 in your inbox? 'cause I can do both :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:57:57 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:59 AM »
Well, I do most of my listening with .mp3 files, when it comes to Youtube or Grooveshark I don't really have any preferences. Both works fine. :)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
Sent my song for the first round. I have the perfect ideas for the next two rounds as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:09 PM »
Just writing to say that so far I've gotten kári, Heretic and Ravenheart. Won't have time to listen tonight, but I will listen first thing tomorrow. :)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
Sent
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
Going to assume that spotify submissions are fair game.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:42 AM »
Only missing Marc's song now. Listened to the other 5 though, some great stuff. Will try to have results up tomorrow, but I need to get Marc's submission as well.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
Go Marc!!!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »
D:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 1 Results!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 02:59:17 AM »
Okay, so Round 1 has been really great. I'm aiming at listening to each song 4 times, but I don't want it to be too drawn out either, so if there's a round with longer songs, I might just spin them all 3 times. However, that should be enough to form an opinion.
Round 1 has been pretty even, but here are the results:

ROUND 1 RESULTS

*[Ravenheart] Poe - Haunted - 8 Points
Initial reaction hearing the song: "this sounds vaguely familiar". So I go and google the song, and see that it was indeed featured in Alan Wake, at the end of the second chapter. I thought the game had some great songs when I played through it, but I didn't really look them up afterwards. This is a very cool sort of Alternative Pop/Rock song, with some really nice vocals in it. I especially love the chorus and the way she sings it, really good stuff. I do think the title "Haunted" fits the song, because the keyboard/mellotron gives it a bit of a creepy vibe when it's used, the outro was also a bit creepy.
All in all a very solid submission, and I give it 8 points out of 10!

*[Gorille85] Modeselektor - Shipwreck (feat. Thom Yorke) - 8 Points
The song I received last out of the submissions, but it was really worth waiting for. When I saw that Thom Yorke was featured I became even more excited, I know he has done some stuff outside of Radiohead and his solo-album, like singing with Björk, appearing on a Flying Lotus album, but I had never heard about this appearance.
Song was very groovy, the way Thom's voice worked in the electronic soundscapes was interesting, and Radiohead have done a couple of tunes that aren't exactly too far from what's happening here. This was more electronic though.
I really liked this. Hard to put my finger on any specific details, it was just a great listen. 8 points out of 10.

*[Lateralus88] Red Fang - Wires - 7 Points
Some really cool stuff right here. At first I thought a bit about Intronaut and "Valley of Smoke". I'm not sure if it's a good comparison, maybe not so much in the songs being similar, but sort of threading a bit in the same waters.
Sort of a mixture between Stoner and Metal I'd say, and it had some really groovy guitars. I really enjoyed the outro of the song, instrumentally it was just such a joy to listen to.
Another solid submission, and 7 Points out of 10.

*[Heretic] The Mayan Factor - Warflower - 7 Points
Hmm, where to start with this one? It was a very solid song, and probably the song that "clicked" the first, already through my first listen of the song I could remember the chorus and the intro, good features obviously.
The intro being acoustic has a nice feel, and the acoustic guitars pretty much stays for the whole tune. It was an interesting use of them, because many other "modern prog" (or what you want to call it) bands have a tendency to only use them for ballads, but here they were used for a more up tempo song, which was interesting.
The chorus was really catchy, and I liked the song being progressive without being too progressive. From what I read they haven't released anything in a while though, did they split? :/
Anyhow, I give this 7 points out of 10.

*[ClairvoyantCat] The World/Inferno Friendship Society - Brother of the Mayor of Bridgewater - 6 Points
Despite ranking in slightly lower than the previous submissions, I still very much liked this song. It was an up tempo, crazy and just fun song overall. As you said a bit yourself, "Punk that is fun", and this song certainly had that going on.
It's really a good song to just sing a long to, and it really did seem to cheer me up. This has me intrigued to check out the full album, because I did still like it quite a bit.
Also, that band name.  :biggrin: 6 Points out of 10!

*[kári] The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey - 6 Points
Like with Zander's song, something felt familiar about it. Did some googling and saw that it was used for Lost in Translation. I've never seen the whole movie, but I have seen glimpses of it when it has been on TV, so maybe I picked it up from there.
Still, despite this song being among the lower score-wise in this round, I really enjoyed it. I cranked it up as you suggested, and the noise-effects were really interesting. The song was fairly catchy in a non-obvious way, and it was a really interesting listen. If the band has more stuff like this I might just have to write them down.
6 Points out of 10!

Okay, so that leaves us with this ranking after 1 round:
1. Ravenheart - 8 points
    Gorille85 - 8 points
2. Lateralus88 - 7 points
    Heretic - 7 points
3. ClairvoyantCat - 6 points
    kári - 6 points

Pretty even so far, and don't be sad if you got low, there's still plenty of time to climb. :)

ROUND 2 - Dark/Layered
For Rounds 2 and 3, my initial idea was to have two opposite rounds. At first I played with the idea of a Heavy round and a Soft round, but I know that some people listen to more softer music and some listen to more heavier, so I think that would have been unfair. My idea instead changed to this, the thought of a Dark round and one Light round.
The title is fairly open to interpretation, and what's dark to someone might not be as dark to someone else. But when I think of "Dark", I think about the words "dense", "layered". Perhaps also a bit "depressing" or a sad atmosphere.

So go ahead and send songs. :)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 1 Results! Round 2
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 06:56:57 AM »
Good songs sent so far :tup, I love Poe, 5&1/2 Minute Hallway is a great song off that album.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
Glad you liked it! Unfortunately yeah, they're no longer together because their lead singer passed away :(

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
Glad you liked it! Unfortunately yeah, they're no longer together because their lead singer passed away :(

Oh that's sad to hear. :(
Also, I have two submissions for round 2 so far, from Gorille and Lateralus.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »
I'll send one in a few moments. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »
Okay, so far I have kári, Lateralus and Gorille's songs for Round 2. So waiting for the rest of you. :P
I'm a bit busy today and tomorrow, but hopefully I want to have the results up by Monday night, so make sure you send something. :)

Just editing to say that I've gotten all submissions and started listening through it all. Results will most likely be up later tonight, unless something unexpected happens, but I'd say that there's at least a 90% chance they will be up tonight.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:25:30 AM by Zantera »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 2 Results! Round 3
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
Time for Round 2 results! I must say that I've really enjoyed the submissions. Like the previous round, lots of variety in the songs sent, and that is really cool for listening to the songs.
I will also point out that two of the songs sent are collaboration-songs where I'm familiar with one of the bands in each song, however, after some reading up it was quite clear that the other band was the most influential on the songs sent, so I decided to allow these songs.

ROUND 2 RESULTS

*[Heretic] World's End Girlfriend & Mono - Untitled #5 - 8 + 1 Points
This was actually the last song I was sent, and I was a bit hesitant when Adam told me that it was 19 minutes long. I love plenty of long songs, but there's always the question of "is the length justifiable by the content of the song?", a question that is very tricky to get right with a long song.
My first reaction when spinning this the first time was that the "dark" aspect of it was not that obvious. I was kinda searching for it, but at the end of my first listen I just felt like I had found it. The song is instrumental and has a very nice build-up. The atmosphere is haunting and in my opinion very sad. The sadness feels very dark, and I think it really fit with my description for the round theme. The dark aspects of it wasn't in my face right away, but once I started really absorbing the song I couldn't miss it, because it's everywhere.
I really love this. The piano intro is beautiful, the way the song slowly keeps building. The main melody is really beautiful, and it's already stuck in my head. It feels like one of those melodies that is so good that everyone would appreciate it. It's just something else.
So, this song gets the highest score this round. While there were many good songs sent (I liked all of them really), this one stood out, and I think it deserves a bonus point. So 9 points!

*[Ravenheart] Dead Can Dance - Enigma of the Absolute - 8 Points
Another very strong submission. I remember you praising this band in your favorite albums thread, and I especially remember a cover that featured some statue. There's also a band called "Gang Gang Dance" which I always seem to get confused with this band, must be something with the names. I've heard an album by the latter which was pretty cool stuff, but that is beside the point in this write-up really.
So I went into this song knowing literally nothing about what to expect. The intro starts out very majestic in my opinion, and it really gave me a cool vibe. The vocals were quite interesting as well, not quite sure what aspect of them made me interested, but there was just some quality to them. The song felt very dark indeed, and I especially loved the Cello-work in this song, simply amazing. After listening to it several times there was still one question unanswered in my head. How would you categorise this music? What genre would it fit under? Not that it matters really, I still very much dug the song, just interested. :P
8 points!

*[ClairvoyantCat] - Martin Grech - I am Chromosome - 8 Points
The biggest "WTF"-reaction this round, in a good way. Song starts out pretty mellow, some creepy ambience which led me to think that this would be some sort of slowly building, dark instrumental & electronic song. Boy I was wrong!
After the calm intro, I was just hit in the face when the song really kicked off. It really didn't take the path I expected, and that was one of the most positive feelings about the song. It was very dark, but I didn't know what would happen next.
I feel like the words "madness" and "twisted" works very well. I don't think I could describe the song in more details, but I really liked it. 8 points!

*[kári] Boris & Sunn O))) - The Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep) - 7 Points
The other collaboration song. I do know Sunn O))) to some extent. Monoliths and Dimensions is a pretty cool album, but apart from that I'm no expert. Boris is one of those names I've seen here and there, but I haven't actually heard any music.
The song had sort of a Post-Rock vibe going on, which made me pleasantly surprised since I didn't quite expect it. I had actually expected it to be more focused on Drone/Noise since Sunn O))) were featured, but I guess that Boris´ sound was a bigger influence on the sound.
The song also had some really moving vocals which I enjoyed. The song was really nice, and I have to check out the full album/EP or where the song is from. Very solid 7 points.

*[Gorille85] Music For Money - La Marche - 7 Points
Another really good submission. Very haunting and dark instrumental, pretty electronic stuff. I really love the piano, because it gave me a very haunting feel, and it was certainly one of the parts that I could remember almost immediately after hearing the song the first time. About halfway through the song it has some very interesting changes, and I thought there were some really good rhythmic parts. All in all just a very good song. Another solid 7 points!

*[Lateralus88] - Novembre - Nothijngrad - 7 Points
Last off we have this song, and "last" doesn't suggest that it was the song I liked the least or anything. Three songs ended up on 7 points so it was just a matter of what order to write them in. :P
This band has also been on my "need to checkout-list" for quite a while. I first heard about them when I was in my huge Opeth-phase, and I've heard a lot of good things about them. I've even seen an album by them in a recordstore here locally, I've actually held the album several times thinking about buying it, but always ended up buying something else or nothing at all. (after some googling, that album is "The Blue")
Since I never got around to checking the band out when I was heavily into Opeth, it has just been one of those things I've never gotten around to. But getting a song sent for the roulette, I was quite happy. Finally I would get to hear something.
The song was fairly what I had expected it to be sound/style-wise, but I must say that I didn't think it would be this good. For some reason I was surprised with the English vocals/lyrics. I always thought they were sung in Italian? Maybe I'm totally wrong now and have them mixed up with another band, or maybe they have songs in Italian too. Or I'm just totally wrong.
Anyhow, the song was really good. Nice acoustic guitars, some really awesome heavier guitar riffs towards the end, great vocals. Very atmospheric, yet heavy. I really liked it. 7 points!

All in all a very good round. The scoring as it looks now:

1. Ravenheart - 16 points
    Heretic - 16 Points     
2. Gorille85 - 15 points
3. Lateralus88 - 14 points
    ClairvoyantCat - 14 points
4. kári - 13 points

It's still very even, and we still have 6 rounds left so don't worry. :P

ROUND 3 - Light/Scaled Down
So, as the opposite round of Round 2, here I want something drastically different from the previous round. To me the word "Light" could be used in the same context as "Scaled Down", "Positive" and maybe "Uplifting". If the previous round had a song with lots of layers and lots of things going on, then I would want this to be something more simple, something more basic.
But again, the title is very open to interpretation, and I will have a fairly open mind regarding what you might send.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 2 Results! Round 3
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »
Awesome, glad you enjoyed it so much! It's a good feeling when you introduce something to someone and they totally enjoy it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
ARGH I'M LAST WHAT IS THIS?????

:)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »
Heretic @ Yeah it's a great feeling totally.  :D
kári @ Don't feel bad, I've liked both tracks you've sent and in another 2 round you might be first considering how even it has been.  :lol

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »
Sent :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 02:48:50 AM »
I have received all songs now, will begin listening after I've had breakfast. Hopefully results will be up tonight, if not then they won't be up later than tomorrow morning.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 3 Results! Round 4
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Results!

*[Heretic] The Cinematic Orchestra - Transformation - 9 Points
Wow. Just wow. This song really moved me. Beautiful piano, beautiful orchestration and amazing melodies.
It's really hard to put it in words exactly how I felt about the song, but it was everything I would want from something that has the word "Orchestra" in it. Really moving, and I understand it's from a documentary soundtrack? I might have to check that documentary out, because this was really beautiful. I would love to have more music like this. Made me feel at peace.
While it is sort of a big orchestra-song, it felt very light somehow. It didn't feel layered, everything just worked together in such a wonderful way. :) 9 points!

*[Lateralus88] Buckethead - Hills of Eternity - 8 Points
First off, I do have some Buckethead scrobbled on my lastfm. Two of the newer albums, one from 2011 and one from this year if I'm not mistaken. But as Alex pointed out, this man has a huge discography, and he has covered a lot of ground over these years. From what I've heard, the new albums aren't exactly the best representation of how he sounds, so I decided to accept this one.
The song itself really surprised me. Very mellow, some wonderful acoustic guitars and just a dreamy and uplifting atmosphere going on throughout. Very different from the Buckethead I know, but it's really nice to hear something different. Very nice chill-out song, and some great melodies. 8 points!

*[Ravenheart] Faith and the Muse - Patience Worth (Piano Version) - 8 Points
Another submission that really impressed me. Very nice piano work on this one, sort of reminded me a bit of Tori Amos at times. Very nice female vocals as well, very moving piece.
If there's anything negative to say at all, I would say that the song being longer would be cool. It's slightly shorter than 3 ˝ minutes, and it felt like it was over pretty fast. But that could also be seen as a good thing, it means that I really enjoyed the song. Still, 8 very solid points!

*[kári] Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks - 8 Points
Very cool song. It reminds me of Seth's submission for the first round in the sense that this was also a very fun song, at least that was the first feeling I took from it. Uplifting, Positive and Fun, this song brought it all. Some really lovely dual-vocals, one of those things that can be really good if used well (and with two good singers), and I think it was in this case.
Really catchy as well, just a wonderful tune. 8 points!

*[ClairvoyantCat] Sarah Blasko - Planet New Year - 7 Points
The first submission I was sent for the round. This is some really good stuff. At first this reminded me a bit of a more melodic/atmospheric Sarah Fimm but with lighter vocals. The chorus is really catchy, and one of those melodies I could sing along to. Some great guitar and keyboard(?) stuff in this song, and it certainly worked well with the theme for the round.
I will have to check out the full album, I actually got it just after hearing the song for the first time. :)

*[Gorille85] O+S - New Life - 7 Points
Another very solid song. The song definitely gave me a very "chill" vibe. Some cool vocals in this song as well, but I was particularly interested in the electronic stuff going on.
Certainly something I would be interesting in checking out further, a possible album recommendation? I downloaded the whole self-titled, if that's a good start. ;) 7 points!

That leaves us with this scoring:

1. Heretic - 25 points
2. Ravenheart - 24 points
3. Gorille85 - 22 points
    Lateralus88 - 22 points
4. kári - 21 points 
    ClairvoyantCat - 21 points

Still very even contest. And I did very much enjoy all the songs this round, just that I enjoyed some songs slightly more that is all. :)

Round 4 - Avant-Garde/Experimental
Bring on the odd stuff! This round will also be a bit vague in the sense that "Avant-Garde" and "Experimental" can have different meanings to different people. I'm looking for something that isn't your typical song structure, but instead a song that takes on some twists and turns and has something related to the round-title. Avant-Garde or Experimental? It's your choice.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Very happy you enjoyed Hills of Eternity. I highly recommend the album which that song comes from. It's beautiful and one of my favourites. Though of course, it's just a small taste of Buckethead's eclectic style.

Sent my next song. So ready to hear your reaction to it.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
I actually downloaded that whole album as well (Colma that is) so I'm ready to hear it in full. :)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »
Yes yes the love for The Cinematic Orchestra must grow......

My favorite song on that soundtrack is definitely "Arrival of the Birds," and Transformation reincorporates that theme a bit near the end. The entire album is beautiful and calming, and definitely something special.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
gay

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:19 AM »
Okay, so I still need songs from Heretic, Gorille and ClairvoyantCat for round 4.
Expect results about 24 hours after I have all songs.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
Come on guys :)

So little talking in this roulette!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
Okay, so Marc sent his. I'm still waiting for Heretic and ClairvoyantCat, originally I was hoping to have results up tonight, but it's been delayed since I haven't gotten all songs yet. So, if you guys read this, please do send. (I've also sent pokes on facebook)

So don't blame me too much for the delay, so far I've had results up on all rounds within 12 hours after getting all songs (and still listened to each song plenty of times), so when I have all songs it won't take long. :P

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 01:39:48 AM »
Don't worry :) I'd rather you take your time listening to the songs than rushing the scoring. :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »
Almost four rounds in a single page? What kind of assholery is going on here?

I guess I just want to say I'm following this.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »
Still following too, love the write-ups. I see that Zantera like "Little Talks" as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
Oh yeah. Update. I haven't gotten a song from Seth yet, and while I have waited (I had results up for r3 almost a week ago), it's not fair to keep everyone else waiting.
I've started listening to the songs and I'm very impressed so far. Apart from listening through them now, I will also listen through all songs 2 times more, and have results up by tonight.

As for what happens to Seth, I understand that real life stuff might be keeping everyone busy, he's not the only one who has been "late", so if he sends his eventually, I'll post that and rate it together with another round. :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Roulette of Awesomeness - Round 4 Results! Round 5
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
Time for round 4 results! Sorry that it took so long, as I mentioned in the previous posts I have been waiting for some people, in the end I only got 5 out of 6 songs, but for the sake of not getting stuck, I'm continuing. If Seth sends me his song for R4 later on, I will still judge it and give it points.

*[Ravenheart] Collide - Wings of Steel - 8 Points
You sure deliver when it comes to female vocals! I'm not sure if the vocals particularly stood out though. And I don't mean that as something bad, they definitely worked very well with the music, but there were a lot of things that impressed me even more than the haunting vocals. The song was certainly experimental, I felt both Trip-Hop and Goth-influences, perhaps I'm wrong, but that was the impression I got. The song also felt a bit Industrial, not so much because of the instruments, but just the whole "feel" the song had. "Chasing the ghost of time" will be stuck in my head for quite a while, very catchy stuff right there. The instruments also gave me an "oriental"-vibe, at least during the chorus. I really liked that.
8 points!

*[Lateralus88] Gonin-Ish - Narenohate (Na Re No Ha Te) - 8 Points
Okay, so when you sent the song I was really intrigued since you wrote that it would be interesting to hear my opinion about it. At that time I didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing.  :lol
Japanese Metal is very fascinating. I already know Dir En Grey (big fan of them) and Sigh (only know the latest, but it's gold), so right from the start I was interesting to see how this would hold up, and how it would sound in comparison.
This is how I would imagine that DT would sound like if they were more Avant-Garde, had harsh-vocals and were from Japan. Some of the sections (especially the keyboard-parts) reminded me quite a bit of DT, but then we had the harsh vocal-sections that instantly reminded me that this is something very different. At times the music sounded like it would have worked as boss-fight music in a videogame, at other times the song almost scared me, mostly because of the vocals.  :lol
Generally I'm not much for keyboards with this "progressive"-sound to them (I find them a bit cheesy), but in this song it doesn't bother me as much as I thought after the first listen, because the variety really adds something. Great variety in the vocals, some really nice guitar stuff, and just a great and Avant-Garde song. Nice piano-outro as well. I don't think it's on Dir En Grey or Sigh-level (just going on this song), but it's certainly a nice gem, and from what I saw on Wikipedia they haven't released much, so it's certainly a nice gem you have found! 8 points!

*[Heretic] Amia Venera Landscape - The Traitor's March - 7 Points
This is a band and an album I've heard a lot about, positive stuff. I actually had the album downloaded on my computer already (but hadn't listened), so it has certainly been on my radar. I'm not sure why I haven't checked it out, some of the stuff I've heard have been really positive, but I've also seen a few so-so reviews, so I guess that turned me off a tiny bit. Still, very excited to see you send this song, as the album has never really left my head so to speak.
The music has a very Post-Metal feel, and I get images of a world after the apocalypse, the earth being very deserted. Parts of this song really reminded me of the band Cult of Luna, which was a good thing.
Overall a very cool song, nice mix of harsh and clean vocals. Since you said this wasn't your first pick (as I wrote back, I would actually have accepted your first pick), that kinda makes me interested in what you would have sent me, but I guess I might see in a future round or somewhere down the line. :P
Still, very solid song and 7 points!

*[Gorille85] The Body - Empty Hearth - 7 Points
What the hell? This sure was random.  :lol
Sorry, that was my initial reaction. This is possibly the most experimental song I was sent this round, and it certainly lived up to the round-theme. This is very dark and experimental stuff, and it's very hard for me to pinpoint how I would classify the music. Throat-singing/crazy weirdness/Sludge/Drone/Noise/Ambient, I honestly have no idea how I would classify it. And that is part of the charm. The song is so experimental and weird, but in a good way. I should check out the full album, to see how it sounds. Probably awesome music for headphones at night time.

*[kári] múm - They Made Frogs Smoke 'Til They Exploded - 7 Points
Nice to see you send this band! I actually have an album with them in my collection that I picked up very cheap in a store a while ago, but I haven't listened to it yet. (Sing Along to Songs You Don't Know)
So I was glad to see you send them, because I've been meaning to check them out. I really like the Icelandic music I'm familiar with, for some reason it just has a very special feel, like it hasn't been affected by what's happening outside of Iceland, the music has just been made there and is very "down to earth" somehow.
This definitely felt "Icelandic". Very cool electronics and a very experimental soundscape. Some odd instruments in here that I really enjoyed as well, I think I heard Cello and Violin, maybe a Harp? It was very cool. I definitely enjoyed this.  :)

Which leaves us with this table:

1. Heretic - 32 points
    Ravenheart - 32 points
2. Lateralus88 - 30 points
3. Gorille85 - 29 points
4. kári - 28 points
5. ClairvoyantCat - 21 points (One round behind)

Round 5 - Fusion
Sort of inspired by Xanthul's roulette. In this round I'm looking for a song that blends different elements together. It could be Metal and Electronica or Jazz and Progressive Rock, I'm more interested in how these elements work together and how good the song is, than what the elements are. It can be more than two musical styles in one song as well, but at least two fairly obvious influences should be clear in the song.