Author Topic: What is your heritage?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline AMindBesideItself

What is your heritage?
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
3/8 German, 1/8 Danish, 1/4 Italian, 1/4 Polish

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: What is your heritage?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:21:25 PM »
I never really got why people care so much, especially since most people know next to nothing about the countries they list.

I'm Israeli, the rest doesn't matter much to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
British since at least 1800.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
My grandmother's family, the Sandersons, we're apparently the 4th or 5th boat after the Mayflower. After that was nothing but a couple hundred years of whoring. I was eventually born with more nationalities in my blood than I care to know about. I just tell people I'm HomoSapien.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
Armenian

I think there was another thread on this ages ago.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Scotch and Irish, for whatever that's worth.  Might explain my fondness for whiskey, though.  Only ancestor of note was an uncle who helped shoot Bonnie and Clyde a few hundred times.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
I absolutely loooathe when people say I'm 100% something or other. Bitch, please. If you go back 10 generations you have 1024 grandparents. I highly doubt you are 100% anything. Odds are a rape or accidental pregnancy with a foreigner happened at some point. It may not be the case for all countries. I imagine their are pure Chinese or Monk people somewhere... But here in 'merica, the only thing you are 100% of is uncertainty.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »
Mainly Irish, English, German, also heavy mounts of Polish and Czech and who knows what else.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »
Pretty sure we've had a couple threads like this already, but I'm 50% Polish, 50% Russian, 100% Semitic Stallion.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
I absolutely loooathe when people say I'm 100% something or other. Bitch, please. If you go back 10 generations you have 1024 grandparents. I highly doubt you are 100% anything. Odds are a rape or accidental pregnancy with a foreigner happened at some point. It may not be the case for all countries. I imagine their are pure Chinese or Monk people somewhere... But here in 'merica, the only thing you are 100% of is uncertainty.

I'm 100% Chinese, and 100% sure of it.  All four of my grandparents came from small villages in mainland China, and there's no reason to believe that their grandparents and ther grandparents' grandparents didn't as well, because the only commuting or travel anyone did back then was on foot, and everywhere they could possibly go was still in the middle of China.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »
Well, I'm a bit Mexican, Irish, Dutch, and Native American.  I look very white, though.

But that list is rather misleading, because I don't consider myself to be a part of any of these "heritages".  If the question is "what is your heritage?", I have to say that I'm a mutt - honestly, I'm just American.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »
My mother's family is from Spain, but have been in America since the early 1800s. My father's family came over to Nova Scotia from Ireland during the potato famine. During prohibition, they were the top bootleggers into NY city. :hat

Both gene pools are heavily diluted with English, French, Cherokee, and awesome.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »
I never really got why people care so much, especially since most people know next to nothing about the countries they list.

This. Despite my ancestry, I have been born and raised in the U.S. Therefore, I am American.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:59:56 PM »
Dad was born in Scotland. On my mom's side she's got mostly Irish with Metis. Apparently even some african american in their as well.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
<--- is a mutt

German
Hungarian
Scotch-Irish
English
American Indian

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
I believe mainly German. Although, Native American, Romanian, and a drop of Irish flow through my veins.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »
I don't know specifics and at this point in my life I don't feel the need to know any more than I do. Mexican from my father's side, and is the side I identify with most and take pride in. When I say Mexican, I mean fucking dirty-stanky-ass Mexican. My mother's side I believe is...Oh I almost forgot I'd chop that woman's body into tiny little pieces if I knew I could get away with it so I don't give a fuck. But just because I love this place so very much I shall say: Coonasses. All of them. I do indeed love cajun food, so...fuckin' wrangler.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Kosmo

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
My family's roots are mainly in Finland, Sweden and Norway but apparently there's some Scottish and Irish in the mix as well.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »
French, german, and british primarily. But from what I've seen most of my ancestors have been in America/Canada for the last 200-400 years (I believe the earliest on my dad's side came to Canada in the early-mid 1600s), so it's pretty irrelevant.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »
As far as i know i'm a 100% swedish dude.....except for the tiny little string of danish that i refuse to accept!  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:34 AM »
My mom's side - Norwegian. They moved to the U.S. in the late 1800s from a middle-of-nowhere village covered in snow. Sadly, I don't know much about that side of my family.

My dad's side - Irish and Scottish. I'm not sure why they came here. I know my direct ancestor's brother (who looks exactly like my uncle, with a handlebar mustache) managed to piss off the King of Prussia at some point, and we even have the letter in a book somewhere where the king basically said "If you come back here, we'll execute you" and that's why he decided to get the fuck away from that part of the world. I think my ancestor just went along because it was a good excuse to move to the U.S. Funnily enough, one of my great (maybe add another "great" in there, I don't know) grandfather's brothers was an amateur boxer in the 1910s and 1920s, and he looks exactly like my dad... with a handlebar mustache. When I first saw that photo of him, I laughed so hard.

It's not so much just labeling where we came from that I find fascinating, it's who my ancestors were, and what they did individually. Things like receiving death threats from the King of Prussia just seem like gems in my family history that have been lost in time.  :lol Luckily, both of my grandmothers had books full of old photographs and letters. It's all I really have to go on, but I cherish those scrapbooks.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 02:54:36 AM »
Mostly Scottish.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »
Mother's side: Welsh and some more welsh with a bit of somerset thrown in. My father's side: scottish (although he keeps that quiet), midlands and south eastern england, but my surname comes from someone way back having been an arming squire, so there's a pretty high chance there's some norman invasion in there somewhere. It is sometimes commented (due to my straight, blondish hair) that I look pretty viking at times, which isn't really surprising as a result of the Scottish and the Normans (seeing as Norman comes from North Man, as the normans originally invaded France from northern europe, although many of the ones in the invasion were probably mercenaries from all over europe).

Amusingly: In the town where my great grandmother (maternal grandmother's mother) was a milliner (she made hats), there was a man who had been engaged to the primary school teacher, but then got an icelandic girl pregnant and ran off with her. It turns out that this was the grandfather and grandmother of one of my aunts (she's married to my father's brother).

She's scary, she is.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:44 AM »

I'm 100% Chinese, and 100% sure of it.  All four of my grandparents came from small villages in mainland China, and there's no reason to believe that their grandparents and ther grandparents' grandparents didn't as well, because the only commuting or travel anyone did back then was on foot, and everywhere they could possibly go was still in the middle of China.

You are now, but the word Zhonghua minzu didn't even exist until like a century ago, so there's a very real chance that generations ago your ancestors considered themselves something different, because they made some ethnic distinctions that aren't made anymore now.

I get what Chino is saying. But, practically speaking, there's no need to be so discerning. I guess we're all African at the end of the day! When people ask about one another's heritage, they're not asking for the complete story; just the last 100-200 years or so.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 03:52:11 AM »
My mother is British, my father is Dutch, but his mother (my grandmother) and grandparents from that side were from Indonesia.

Therefore I'd say I'm 50% British, 25% Dutch and 25% Indonesian, though you can't really see anything about the latter in my appearance and I know next to nothing about Indonesia. However, if I'd look further back, there is no doubt there would be other ancestries as well at some point in my family's past.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 04:05:18 AM »
Human.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 05:33:22 AM »
Hungarian, Italian, Irish

a bad ass combination! BOOO YAH! :hat
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »
Mostly German and English.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 07:03:14 AM »

You are now, but the word Zhonghua minzu didn't even exist until like a century ago, so there's a very real chance that generations ago your ancestors considered themselves something different, because they made some ethnic distinctions that aren't made anymore now.

I get what Chino is saying. But, practically speaking, there's no need to be so discerning. I guess we're all African at the end of the day! When people ask about one another's heritage, they're not asking for the complete story; just the last 100-200 years or so.

I guess I just have my buttons pushed a little more than other people because of where I live. We have indescribable amounts of Albanian and Italian pride in my town. It makes me sick. When Italy wins a fucking soccer game and people come marching through my store with Italian flags waving while chanting "IT-A-LY! IT-A-LY! etc". Shut up assholes. You live in America. Cheer for Italy if you wish, but don't act like your better because a country that you've never been to can kick a ball better than another country you've never been to. The same goes for all the Puerto Ricans in the neighboring city who drive around with their flag draped over their hood or painted on the side of your car. If your homeland is so fucking great, go back home and stop bringing down the property values around my town. Thanks.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
Mostly German and Italian, but also a little bit Ukrainian and Irish as well.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
100% British dating back to the 17th century.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
Lebanese
Irish
French

So I'm mostly a terrorist.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »

I guess I just have my buttons pushed a little more than other people because of where I live. We have indescribable amounts of Albanian and Italian pride in my town. It makes me sick. When Italy wins a fucking soccer game and people come marching through my store with Italian flags waving while chanting "IT-A-LY! IT-A-LY! etc". Shut up assholes. You live in America. Cheer for Italy if you wish, but don't act like your better because a country that you've never been to can kick a ball better than another country you've never been to. The same goes for all the Puerto Ricans in the neighboring city who drive around with their flag draped over their hood or painted on the side of your car. If your homeland is so fucking great, go back home and stop bringing down the property values around my town. Thanks.

Some people take great pride in their heritage, others do not.  Also, for a lot of people it's natural to want to associate themselves with something.  When you're watching a game, and one of the teams is from your home town, or state, or your school or whatever, you feel a connection to them and somehow you want them to beat the other team (who is obviously full of losers that you don't care about).

I can see how it'd get on your nerves, but there's nothing wrong with celebrating something you have in common with other people.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »
Lebanese
Irish
French

So I'm mostly a terrorist.

Also a frog-eater and (in spare time) protester!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
I find it more of an interesting look at how people have moved around over the centuries. Insignificant things like that really interest me.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D