Author Topic: Will Dream Theater ever play (X song) again?  (Read 12876 times)

Offline IdoSC

Re: Do you think that they should/will play Repentance again?
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
Maybe in an acoustic setting where the band would feel comfortable about cutting it short by like 50%. Other than that, honestly, it's too damn long and tedious, and those ~10 minutes are better spent with a song that doesn't scream Opeth influences.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
They should when they play the 12SS for the MP reunion show (which should happen). Other than that, no.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
I hope they don't so I can be one of the few to ever see it live... but also its not a great live song with thr long drawn out ending.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Plus Flying Colors is playing it, 
Are they really?

Yes.  On the current tour, they're playing mostly the album, but also one song from each guy or band he was/is in.  "Repentence" is the DT song they're doing.

Not only that, but it's pretty much "Mike's song" as are all the songs in the AA saga.  That's not to say that DT will never or can never play them, but between the fact that it's a very personal song for Mike, and he's singing it with Flying Colors (yes, he sings it) it just doesn't make sense for DT to do the song.  There are plenty of other songs to choose from.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
Plus Flying Colors is playing it, 
Are they really?
That's not to say that DT will never or can never play them,

I think this point is pretty obvious now that they've been playing The Root of All Evil regularly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
But that wasn't actually the point.  My point was that the entire AA saga is pretty much Mike's thing, but "Repentence" seems particularly personal because of its tone.  So even though DT plays "The Root of All Evil" it just seems to me that "Repentence" is much less likely to come up when it's time to make up the setlist.

It's kinduv like "Space-Dye Vest".  Songs generally get played because either (a) one or more members really like them or otherwise have a strong connection to them or (b) audiences really want to hear them and/or they're proven crowd-pleasers.  "Space-Dye Vest" is a DT song, but because it was very much Kevin's song, why would they want to play it?  It's not like it's a super rocker that gets the crowd going or lots of fans have been crying that they never play it.  (Or maybe they have, I don't know.)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:59 AM »
Orbert makes good points, but I'd still like to see it live, Flying Colors or DT, whichever. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
I hope they don't. I imagine the tune being a borefest live.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Will Dream Theater ever play (X song) again?
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
If I ever get to see DT live, I would love to hear The Shattered Fortress :metal.  Also, would like to here The Glass Prison.  Not sure they would play either of these two. 

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
If I ever get to see DT live, I would love to hear The Shattered Fortress :metal.  Also, would like to here The Glass Prison.  Not sure they would play either of these two. 

Definitely agree with The Glass Prison. Also A Change Of Seasons.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
They lifted the taboo on the AA songs playing TROAE, so TGP is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. I wouldn't hold my breath for TSF, though. And ACOS needs to return with the evening with shows, yes.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Wasteland, Curious why you think they may play TGP over TSF.  Like both songs, but TSF gets my motor running.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
Well, TGP had been such a great live song since it came out. I actually expect it on the next tour.
I'd be shocked if they played TSF. It's such a mishmash which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless it is taken in the context of the 12 Step Suite.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »
Well, TGP had been such a great live song since it came out. I actually expect it on the next tour.
I'd be shocked if they played TSF. It's such a mishmash which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless it is taken in the context of the 12 Step Suite.

I agree. I don't see TSF being played unless they play the 12SS in full. I don't think TSF holds up too well on its own, and TGP is a much more popular song among the fanbase.
I'm kind of expecting TGP next tour too. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. But a man can dream, right?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
I am half expecting TGP to show up too myself, but of course the feelings that this happening would stir are very different than yours :D

However, I was thinking that maybe they could be tempted to play TSF as a sort of "synthesis" of the whole suite. With a reworked intro it could even actually work, I think.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
I don't know, I just don't see it being a popular enough song for DT to decide to play it, especially being a bit longer song. I would almost bet that they'll never play TSF unless it's part of the 12SS (or in the lead up to playing it).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
I don't think DT would want to premiere The Shattered Fortress without MP, and originally it was supposed to be played as part of the full suite anyway. I could see The Glass Prison making a comeback, though - MM seems to play the songs pretty close to their original tempos so the arpeggios could be less impossible for JP to play if they didn't speed it up.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
 Now that the "Evening With" format is back, it´s time to play Octavarium in full again. I´m sure it will come back to the set eventually.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
It's time to play freakin A Change of Seasons for once. It's regarded as their best song pretty much, yet they refuse to play it nowadays for some reason.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
It's time to play freakin A Change of Seasons for once. It's regarded as their best song pretty much, yet they refuse to play it nowadays for some reason.

The alledged conection with MP may be one reason. But I agree, they should bring back ACOS ASAP!!!! The current lineup would kill on that one.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »
Songs that should come back on the next tour (not necessarily all of them, but any of them would be fine with me) are TGP, 8VM, ACOS, ITNOG, and the other lengthy, "epic" tracks.

I thought I never had a hope of seeing ACOS or 8VM, but I hope either one comes back for this tour. I'm simply afraid that neither will show up due to Illumination Theory likely being played.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
I read an interview with JP and James in a Finnish music mag and JP said Illumination Theory will be in the setlist, but they'll also take advantage of the "evening with" format by playing some "longer and more challenging" songs that weren't heard on the previous tours.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
I'd kill to see ACOS played in full.I saw the FII tour, so I only caught the "split" version of it - similar to what's on Once in a Livetime.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
Now that I think of it, ACOS has never been played in the southern emisphere (in its entirety). You people will definitely get it on the SA leg. It's unacceptable and I'm sure the band will make it happen should they be pointed this out.  :tup
- Marco

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »
Now that I think of it, ACOS has never been played in the southern emisphere (in its entirety). You people will definitely get it on the SA leg. It's unacceptable and I'm sure the band will make it happen should they be pointed this out.  :tup

Great argument! How do I get this message across to them?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
Ah, I don't know! Not at all! But if you come up with a way to let the message filter through, I suggest you do so quickly, before the great tour plan is set in motion. Having to incorporate a big song in the set is not something you can't ask a band on the eve of the tour, there must be preparation and thinking.
- Marco

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
I' have a meet and greet in Spain...maybe then I can talk to them about the SA tour -which jasn't even been booked yet,but I know it wil come, given the great response they get here every time they come.

Offline Fronobulax

Do you think they should/ will play take away my pain again
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:19 AM »
I know this probably an unpopular opinion but i think its a really great song. Especially the demo version without all the keyboard overdubs on the album version. I think if they did a section of the show playing stripped down versions of songs like they did last tour this song would fit really well in that kind of arrangement. Although im highly doubtful theyd ever play it again.