Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 193474 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!
« Reply #2030 on: July 28, 2014, 01:01:39 AM »
I think it's a nice approach. Overall I think artists should play what they want to play first, but dragging out all heavy songs for only clean is kinda drastic. The best way IMO is to find a balance of having both what you wanna play yourself, and something for the fans. I don't think the fans win if you play only songs they want to hear, and you're clearly not into it during the concert. It always feels better when you can tell the musicians are enjoying themselves as well.
This. I'd be ok with a set without growls, but on the other hand I'm happy that I'll hear a more diverse selection of songs at my first Opeth concert in November.

I hate it when some bands are really lazy at changing their setlist and play the same "hits" year after year and tour after tour. However, Opeth went a bit too far when they ignored all the death metal songs in favor of stuff like The Throat of Winter and Hex Omega, even though songs like Face of Melinda and A Fair Judgement are pretty popular. I think every band needs to find a good balance between crowd pleasers and obscurities to try and make everyone happy: casual fans, diehards and the musicians themselves.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2031 on: July 28, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
I like the new album quite a bit, although it's not as exciting as Heritage. It's a bit more refined and it truly sounds like Mikael knows how to approach prog, which isn't surprising knowing the amount of music he listens to and collects. Favorites: Moon above sun below, River, Cusp of eternity.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2032 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
While I had seen Opeth play live three times before, I really enjoyed the Heritage tour.  I only hope that the next live Blu-ray/DVD includes a lot of Heritage and Pale Communion, because I'm not a big fan of the mixes (kick drum is a little muffled for my taste).  They get the job done in the end, but the Heritage tracks hit much harder live.  Plus, that Folklore jam.   :metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: August 01, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
A short interview with Mikael and Fredrik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqTkrijivII
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2034 on: August 01, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
This new song eternal rains is pretty damn good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: August 01, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »

:lol

:|

But, you know...on second thought...Fredrik did look a bit constipated. Hmmm...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2036 on: August 01, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »
Ugh. I hate having to stop reading threads because people are too impatient to wait for albums to actually be released. Maybe I'm turning into an old geezer (i.e. Steven Wilson), but it's fucking annoying.

What gets me is if you even mention a leak of a Dream Theater album here you'll get the ban hammer, but it's open season on anything else. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2037 on: August 01, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »

Fredrik didn't say a word in this part 1. :lol Hoping he gets to contribute in later sections.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adace

« Reply #2038 on: August 20, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »
Just wanted to point out that the lyrics for this album are fantastic per usual.
https://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/opeth/palecommunion.html

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2039 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Yeah, that's one area that has definitely improved from Heritage.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: August 22, 2014, 03:05:38 AM »
I got my CD + T-shirt package in the mail! :metal I'm not able to listen to the album yet, but the back cover looks awesome! :D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2041 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:54 AM »
After more than a few listens I really like whole album. Definitely better than Heritage.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2042 on: August 22, 2014, 05:17:07 AM »
I've only listened once so far, but my thoughts can be summed up as:

1. Overall a pleasant surprise, and I could see this working its way up to being somewhere in the middle of their discography (6 or 7 at best)
2. Much better than Heritage
3. Still not too excited about the 70's direction, so while this was good and better than I thought, I don't see myself going "I wanna listen to some Opeth, I'm gonna put on Pale Communion"

But I'll listen again today for sure.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: August 22, 2014, 05:36:20 AM »
There are more songs I like on this one than on Heritage (Eternal Rains Will Come, Cusp Of Eternity, Goblin, and Faith In Others so far).

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2044 on: August 22, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »
So the album has leaked weeks ago, and Opeth decides to offer a low quality stream. :facepalm:
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2045 on: August 22, 2014, 09:20:58 AM »
So the album has leaked weeks ago, and Opeth decides to offer a low quality stream. :facepalm:

It came out in stores yesterday as far as I know.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: August 22, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
Just got through my first listen and I like the album! :tup Real strings definitely add to the last two songs, River is surprisingly poppy (the first half anyway) and Mikael's raspy vocals are cool in Moon Above, Sun Below.

I got the latest issue of Soundi (a Finnish rock mag) two days ago and there's an interview with Mikael. Some interesting bits:

-The article begins with a conversation between Mikael and Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains) - they were playing at the same festival in Finland in July. Mikael reveals Dirt was the first CD he ever bought, and Cantrell says he saw Opeth live when they were touring with Mastodon and he was hooked immediately.
-Axe and Mendez rehearsed together for two weeks at the latter's home in Barcelona, and they arrived in Wales a couple of days before Mikael. By the time Mikael got into the studio they had recorded their parts for six songs already. As a self-confessed control freak Mike was like "what the hell", but after listening to the tracks he was blown away.
-Mikael and Steven Wilson had a fight over some vocal effects that SW thought would ruin Faith in Others, but they eventually reached a compromise.
-The working title of MA,SB was "Floyd", as the first version of the song was heavily influenced by the first PF album. Fredrik thought the song was fantastic, but Mikael reworked it almost completely, and when Fredrik heard the new version a couple of weeks later, he said "if you can afford to throw melodies of that caliber away, this must be one hell of an album".
-The working title of Eternal Rains was "Scott" (after Scott Walker), while Cusp of Eternity was called "Zep" after a drum beat reminiscent of Immigrant Song.
-Mikael admits he has a tendency to worry too much about all kinds of things, and he jokes that if Manowar are "warriors of the world", then Opeth are "worriers of the world".

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2047 on: August 25, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
I would have liked to have heard the original iteration of MA, SB as I think that songs as is completely kills the momentum of the album.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2048 on: August 25, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
My Pale Communion box set arrived today, so it'll be my first time I'll be listening to the album. For anyone who bought the vinyl or box set, are you having trouble with the link to the download code? Whenever I type mine up, all I get is "coupon is invalid".

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #2049 on: August 25, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Has anyone purchased Pale Communion on HD Tracks? I'm curious if there is sound differences between the CD, Blu ray, and HDTrack versions.

https://www.hdtracks.com/pale-communion

Edit: This DR Database entry looks the same as the cd version (at least in terms of dynamic range).
https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/72229

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: August 25, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
Is the bonus DVD on the deluxe edition just the 5.1 audio?  Is there any video extras?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2051 on: August 25, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
Is the bonus DVD on the deluxe edition just the 5.1 audio?  Is there any video extras?

No video extras on the BluRay, just a 5.1 and Stereo mix of the album plus two bonus live tracks recorded during one of their unplugged shows in 2012. One of the live tracks is a cover of Black Sabbath's Solitude and the other is a cover of Var Kommer Barnen In by an obscure (presumably Swedish) band called Hansson de Wolfe.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2052 on: August 25, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
This is a weird album for me. I definitely like it, it's imaginative and musically strong and all that, but somehow I need to force myself to listen to it. The last track is something different though. Faith in Others is very moving and definitely the best track on the album for me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2053 on: August 25, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
Faith In Others is my favorite track off of Pale Communion as well. I definitely like it, and it left me a better impression that Heritage did but it's too early to tell if this will grow on me much more than Heritage did. Maybe repeated listens will help.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2054 on: August 26, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »
Just got my CD today! Will have my first listen this evening :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: August 26, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »
The album starts off very strong with my two favourite tracks right away.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2056 on: August 26, 2014, 07:05:57 AM »
I would say the album gets stronger the more it goes on. I like the first track, but the second one is probably the weakest on the album for me. Still, I think this album is really good and much better than I thought it would be.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2057 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:14 AM »
I really like this album. Even though I always thought Heritage was solid, I always felt it lacked direction. I don't get that feeling from this album at all.

I will need more listens before I can provide any deeper analysis though.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2058 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
After one listen, I like this album a lot.  Of course, I didn't have as bad a reaction to Heritage as everyone else did, either.

The RORORO is still an acquired taste for me, and although I think Opeth has always done a fantastic job with them, it is most definitely NOT a quality I go in search of in my music, so a lack of them is not a negative with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #2059 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
I finally gave this one a listen yesterday. It sounds promising, I'm sure it will grow with repeated listens. I rather enjoyed Heritage as well, even though it's of course not even near the quality of their previous records.

I'll post more after a few more spins.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2060 on: August 26, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »
I really like this album. Even though I always thought Heritage was solid, I always felt it lacked direction. I don't get that feeling from this album at all.
Sums up my feelings exactly. There is some lovely stuff on Heritage, particualrly at the start and end of the album, but it meanders a lot in the middle. Not so on PC.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: August 26, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
Eternal Rains has already become one of my all-time favorite Opeth songs :hefdaddy
My Pale Communion box set arrived today, so it'll be my first time I'll be listening to the album. For anyone who bought the vinyl or box set, are you having trouble with the link to the download code? Whenever I type mine up, all I get is "coupon is invalid".
I got the download code with the CD+Bluray as well and it didn't work yesterday, but I just tried it again and I managed to dl the tracks.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2062 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:41 AM »
I still need to check out this album. I think I liked the song they released, but honestly I can't even remember what it sounded like. :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2063 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
I don't see Martin Lopez' name on the credits. I thought I read earlier on this thread that Martin played drums on two tracks.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2064 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
OK i'm off the loop...why two threads?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls