Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 193443 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:28 AM »
With the previous one at 100 pages, I think it is time for a new Opeth thread! :)

:metal :metal

NP: Famine

I'd just like to say that while Heritage wasn't one of their best albums, I really like where they went on it, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next. :coolio
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:11:10 AM by KevShmev »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Lost Control
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »
Just got done listening to Blackwater Park (the song).

Yes, folks - Debbie is STILL on her Opeth binge. :caffeine:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »
Ghost Reveries is the greatest album ever.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
I heard rumor about another Katatonia/Opeth tour this fall in North America. I need that to happen! Songkick.com has a few dates listed, but no announcement yet
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:19:23 AM »
Just got done listening to Blackwater Park (the song).

Yes, folks - Debbie is STILL on her Opeth binge. :caffeine:

:metal

Ghost Reveries is the greatest album ever.

How can that be the greatest album ever when it isn't even their greatest album? ???

Hint: Still Life is better.  :)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:19:48 AM »
lol

you're funny :p

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »
Ghost Reveries is the greatest Opeth album ever.

Fix'd for teh Zydar.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
Still Life is the Best Them

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Did anyone hear the rumor that Mikael Akerfeldt is secretly a member of Ghost? I don't believe it, but I want it to be true. That would be wicked awesome.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:31:42 AM »
I feel like he'd have no time for that, and even if he was, Ghost is ALL about the Undead Pope  :hat
I love that guy.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
Did anyone hear the rumor that Mikael Akerfeldt is secretly a member of Ghost? I don't believe it, but I want it to be true. That would be wicked awesome.
I know who the lead singer is and I'm pretty sure the other members are associated with the lead singer's other bands. Check out my Subdivision thread somewhere here in the GMD
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »
So what's the word on the new Opeth album? I've heard nothing regarding any plans about it and seeing as how Storm Corrosion surely kept Mike busy for a bit I'm guessing we're still at least two years away since the last two albums were spaced in 3-year increments.

Also, do y'all think Mikes growling is on its deathbed or have any DM singers ever been able to recover their Satan?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:47 AM »
Also, do y'all think Mikes growling is on its deathbed or have any DM singers ever been able to recover their Satan?

I hope the growlies aren't gone. :'(

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »
There's a new Opeth album being worked on? EXCITED
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:39 AM »
There's a new Opeth album being worked on? EXCITED

No, there ain't as far as I know. I just didn't word my post clearly enough. I basically meant "whatever their next album happens to be, whenever it happens to come out" when I referred to it as "the  new Opeth album."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:27 AM »
Ah. ok.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:58 AM »
I'm hopefully seeing Opeth unplugged in December. Haven't gotten tickets yet, but my birthday is coming up fairly soon so I might wish for tickets. :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:46:41 AM »
So what's the word on the new Opeth album? I've heard nothing regarding any plans about it and seeing as how Storm Corrosion surely kept Mike busy for a bit I'm guessing we're still at least two years away since the last two albums were spaced in 3-year increments.

In this interview from June he says he hasn't really worked on new songs but he thinks the next album will be a bit more "hard rock". I assume this means we'll hear more energetic up-tempo songs like Devil's Orchard, Slither and The Lines in My Hand.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 06:04:21 AM »
Meh... doesn't sound so interesting to me. I'm sure it will end up being good though.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:27 AM »
Meh... doesn't sound so interesting to me. I'm sure it will end up being good though.

Count me out. It was a humongous letdown to have my first 6-8 months of owning Heritage be a "growing" period that, as of now (11 months), has plateaued at a half-hearted "it's pretty good." Opeth is one of the very few bands where I actually like the vocals and the possible permanent omission of growls coupled with what looks like possibly saying goodbye to metal altogether is borderline heartbreaking for me musically speaking.

I understand that the album that comes out after the upcoming one could feature some of their familiar style from earlier albums but that outlook is gloomy at best when you consider this will be their third straight album where the old style is basically being abandoned (Heritage), halfway abandoned with definition of the word "familiarity" being stretched a good bit (Watershed), or tentatively abandoned (upcoming album based on the hard rock mention in the interview that ? linked.)

I miss Opeth.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:33:10 AM by black_floyd »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »
I'll still be following Opeth, but if they're going for a more "Hard Rock"-sound then it's not very appealing to me. I guess it depends on how they do it, but a song like "Slither" for example was one of my least favorites from Heritage, and I'm not really that interested in Hard Rock because a lot of the genre feels very plain for me.

Still, I love Åkerfeldt and I love Opeth, and I will obviously check out what they do.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »
Hey gais. Is the new album still streaming?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »
I'm not a fan of hard rock either but I don't think they'll go all Whitesnake! :lol I enjoy Heritage and my favorite songs are Famine, Folklore and I Feel the Dark so I hope they'll concentrate on stuff like that instead of songs along the lines of Slither and The Lines in My Hand, but if he means that the next album will be a bit more rough-edged and energetic overall, I'm ok with it.

Who knows, maybe after 1 or 2 more non-metal albums Mikael might feel the death metal spark again. However, it doesn't seem like Opeth is going back to growls and heavy riffs anytime soon - Mikael seems extremely happy with Heritage and I just can't see him going back to metal right now, especially after all those comments about his lack of interest in the genre. To be honest his growls haven't been that great lately and I wouldn't mind if he never growled on any new Opeth song again. The worst thing to do would be a crowd-pleaser album written without any real passion or enthusiasm just to win the metal fans back. I mean, you can listen to the old songs from the albums or go to a concert hoping they'll play some classics or simply find a good new proggy death metal band to follow, for example Barren Earth (who are great, by the way!).

All in all, I'm curious to see what they will do in the future and hopefully I'll like it, like I enjoyed Heritage.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »
I still haven't listened to a couple Opeth albums. I think I'm still trying to let the ones I have heard sink in.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »
Interestingly enough, Opeth is the ONLY "death metal" band I've ever gotten into.  I've tried a few others and I just never could find an appreciation for them.  For some reason, with Opeth, especially the run of albums from Still Life >> Blackwater Park >> Deliverance >> Damnation >> Ghost Reveries >> Watershed

I think I started appreciating the growling more when he started doing it less.  I think it has more impact when it's used sparingly.  That's probably why Watershed is my favorite Opeth album. 

I bought Heritage, I listened a few times, but I find it to be rather "meh" for the most part.

Bands change over time, and Opeth is obviously no exception.  I'll enjoy their previous material for years to come, but I think I'll be hopping off the Opeth bandwagon if they're going to make "hard rock" now.  It's just not something I'm interested in.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
I heard rumor about another Katatonia/Opeth tour this fall in North America. I need that to happen! Songkick.com has a few dates listed, but no announcement yet
Well, they were trying to get dates after Katatonia's tour with Devin Townsend (Sept 24) and before they go to Europe (Nov 2). Two of the dates showed up on Ticketmaster a couple of weeks ago and are now listed as cancelled. Don't know if they were cancelled because the tickets went up on sale too early or they cancelled the tour. We will have to wait and see.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Online Mladen

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Should I be ashamed that I'm getting into Opeth just now?

I'm going by discography. I didn't really care for Orchid, Morningrise had quite a few great moments, My arms your hearse had few great moments, and Still life blew me away. I'm listening to Blackwater park right now, I'd say it has potential.  ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

I'm going by discography. I didn't really care for Orchid, Morningrise had quite a few great moments, My arms your hearse had few great moments, and Still life blew me away. I'm listening to Blackwater park right now, I'd say it has potential.  ;D

I feel the same way about those albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »
WHITE FACED
HAGGARD GRIN
THIS SERENITY PAINTED DEATH
WITH A HALO OF BITTER DISEASE
BLACK PARAGON IN LINGERING BREATH

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
WHITE FACED
HAGGARD GRIN
THIS SERENITY PAINTED DEATH
WITH A HALO OF BITTER DISEASE
BLACK PARAGON IN LINGERING BREATH

:2metal:

Hell no, dude - I just got into them SRSLY HARDCORE this year, so don't be ashamed at all. :)   Oh, and Still Life is awesome (it's REALLY been kicking my ass the last few weeks).  As is Blackwater Park.  AND Ghost Reveries (happy Drew? :lol ;) ).

Count me out. It was a humongous letdown to have my first 6-8 months of owning Heritage be a "growing" period that, as of now (11 months), has plateaued at a half-hearted "it's pretty good." Opeth is one of the very few bands where I actually like the vocals and the possible permanent omission of growls coupled with what looks like possibly saying goodbye to metal altogether is borderline heartbreaking for me musically speaking.

I understand that the album that comes out after the upcoming one could feature some of their familiar style from earlier albums but that outlook is gloomy at best when you consider this will be their third straight album where the old style is basically being abandoned (Heritage), halfway abandoned with definition of the word "familiarity" being stretched a good bit (Watershed), or tentatively abandoned (upcoming album based on the hard rock mention in the interview that ? linked.)

I miss Opeth.

If that's true, then I really don't know how to feel.  When my "OMG OPETH!!1 :caffeine: " binge started, I was definitely more of a fan of the growlie stuff than the clean stuff.  Case in point - it took me longer to get into Damnation than it took for Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries and Watershed.

I really really hope the growlies aren't permanently gone. :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »
I think it is easy to say, "I don't want hard rock," or, "I want growls," or, "I want metal," but what if the next album is hard rock, no metal and no growls, but is, in 80s terminology, totally awesome? ;)  I suspect most of you would change your mind real quick about what you want the most out of Opeth.

In other words, don't get too hung up on what the label is of what they are doing and see if you enjoy it for what it is. :)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »
I'm fine with whatever direction they want to take in the future. All I expect is quality.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
I think Mikael is a tremendous musician.  I love his clean voice, his harsh voice, his guitar playing style, songwriting style, everything.  His whole deal totally speaks to me.  Therefore whenever he releases anything, whether it's under the Opeth name, something else like Storm Corrosion or an Alan Parsons cover album called The Mikael Akerfeldt Alan Parsons Project Project, I will definitely check it out and most likely enjoy it to some degree.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
I've been personally been getting back into Opeth recently, listening to Morningrise right now. I have all their albums, but haven't listened to them regularly for the better part of the last 6 years, aside from the occasional listen. I got into them during the Deliverance era, when I was in high school, but my first new album as a fan was Ghost Reveries; after just graduating high school, and it became my favorite of theirs, and still is, in fact, I think it's their best one. When I got into more prog rock and jazz-fusion, I lost a lot of interest in metal, and even coming back to metal in recent years, I never went back to any death/black metal bands. I checked out Watershed when it came out, but I was not in the mood for that music.

But I always remembered how much I liked Opeth in high school, and when I heard Heritage was coming out, I listened to a couple albums here and there, and bought Heritage when it came out, and actually enjoyed it a lot. Only recently have I been digging back into their other albums again. As I said before, I'm listening to Morningrise right now, probably the first time I've listened to it in 6 years or more. I forgot how good Deliverance and Damnation were as well, along with Still Life. I re-visted Watershed, and I can't believe I panned it back when it came out. I'm re-visiting their albums, and still have to go through more of their albums like Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, MAYH, and Orchid, but it's all been good. Strange that this is happening in the middle of summer, as I recall enjoying their music in the fall, and I've been listening to jam bands a lot, which is the opposite of Opeth's music hah.

Sorry for going on a tangent there.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
I think it is easy to say, "I don't want hard rock," or, "I want growls," or, "I want metal," but what if the next album is hard rock, no metal and no growls, but is, in 80s terminology, totally awesome? ;)  I suspect most of you would change your mind real quick about what you want the most out of Opeth.

In other words, don't get too hung up on what the label is of what they are doing and see if you enjoy it for what it is. :)

Good point.  Like I said - I don't know how to feel about this, because it's still purely hypothetical/conjecture at this point.

I'm fine with whatever direction they want to take in the future. All I expect is quality.

Another good point.