Author Topic: 10 Years  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
10 Years
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
It occurred to me earlier: 
I don't remember the exact date, but I registered on the old dreamtheater.net forum 10 years ago this month.

I can't believe it's been 10 years already.  I don't know that I can really do justice to how much this band and this community has meant to me.  Some of you are still around from the old days, and it's great that so many new people are always joining.  Although I'm not as rabid a DT fan as I once was, their music stills means so much to me- for all that they have come to symbolize in my life, for all of the people they remind me of.  I have met some of my closest friends through this community and I have had some of the most fun times and adventures of my life thanks to them.  I have been introduced to countless bands that I probably never would have found had it not been for this community.  There's been some great laughs, and whenever I've needed advice or just an outlet to vent, you guys have always been here for me. 

I love you guys.  Here's to the next 10 years.   :metal
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: 10 Years
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
This is a thread I can support  :heart :heart :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »
I have probably been here over 10 years, but I have no clue when I joined. Maybe it was 10 years ago, maybe it was 40. Maybe I never joined. Who knows?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
Glad to have you around Neon :) My only request is that you post more in the pics thread. You're too cute not to.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »
Yup, also over 10 years for sure. Was reading on SFAM on the old EZ board, and that's more than 10 years ago.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
Anybody got a screencap of that SFAM motif board? That's my earliest memory of this community.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »

I love you guys.  Here's to the next 10 years.   :metal

:metal :metal

Myself, I am over 12 years now in this community. :eek :eek :eek :eek

I occasionally think I still waste too much time here, but then again, I love talking music and sports and whatever, and this has almost always been a great place to do it, so there ya go. :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
I actually just searched my Gmail account, and the oldest dt.net related email I have is from Septermber 2009 where Cheesus reports a post :lol
Then Richey, then LTD and then ... AndyDT :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »
I feel so young, after just a couple of years. I hope it's around long enough for me to start my own 10 year thread, and I hope all you great people are still around to make it the special community that it is.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
Anybody got a screencap of that SFAM motif board? That's my earliest memory of this community.

Doesn't JustJen have these pages archived somewhere?  I know she has some 6DOIT but I don't know if it goes any further back.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
10 years, pretty impressive. I barely got three.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
Half way there. 10 years... that's a decade of dt forums.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
I first joined as a junior in high school, right around when Train of Thought came out, which I guess puts me at nine years... holy shit, can't believe it's been that long :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »

Doesn't JustJen have these pages archived somewhere?  I know she has some 6DOIT but I don't know if it goes any further back.

She used to. The forums from 2007 and 2008 are available, but the actual threads/posts aren't up on her site anymore. Just empty content. https://www.h-fangirl.com/SMF/index.php
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
The earliest it goes back:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021017033814/https://www.dreamtheater.net/bb/

6 years for me in September.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
12 years for me! 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
75 years for me.

When I said twelve.... I meant twelve HUNDRED. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online Adami

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
75 years for me.

When I said twelve.... I meant twelve HUNDRED.

I saw the creation of the universe.......after I joined the forum.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
I think I joined towards end of 2005. 

Been many years of good times

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
Ten years for me too, kinda sorta.  Joined up in August of '02, posted a setlist/mini-review of a Dallas gig, and then disappeared for 6 years.  When I discovered this place 4 years ago, I was surprised to find I already had an account, and for some reason I was called El Barto.  I guess Jesus was already taken.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
9 years here for me. Registered on mp.com in 02, dt.net in 03. Where have the years gone?

Always a pleasure to read your posts neon. The 4/1 meetup comes to mind when I see your username.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
you guys are a nice group, this site is a good one, even if I dont participate anymore I always liked the vibe you all have with each other.. and I lurk from time to time, and sometime you guys make me laugh or smile and thats cool...

I invented the internet so I have lots of pixels to monitor.. : )

peace.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Thread needs pictures.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
Did pictures exist back then?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
November 2004 - I'm pushing eight. And that's very on-off. Still amazing though. When I registered, three years would've seemed unthinkable. Look how it all sneaks up on you!

As hobbies go, though, I'd say it's a fun one. No regrets here - been great, here's to eight more. And congrats on your decade, Neon.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »
13 or so for me.  We were discussing the new album, which a lot of people just called "Metropolis, Part II" because saying the whole thing seemed so silly, and abbreviations hadn't been invented yet.  Also, the new keyboard player, some long-haired punk named Jordan.

Glad to have you around Neon :) My only request is that you post more in the pics thread. You're too cute not to.

Seconded.  Very few things in life cannot be improved by more pictures of cute girls.

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
and abbreviations hadn't been invented yet.

Wtf?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
People were talking about how their presence on DTF actually predates the internet, and whether or not pictures existed.  When the album Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory came out, it was the longest album title yet (our fingers were still sore from typing Falling Into Infinity) and we hadn't yet adopted SFAM as the "official" abbreviation for it.  I remember some people just calling it Metropolis Part 2 or even M2.

Online Adami

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
People were talking about how their presence on DTF actually predates the internet, and whether or not pictures existed.  When the album Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory came out, it was the longest album title yet (our fingers were still sore from typing Falling Into Infinity) and we hadn't yet adopted SFAM as the "official" abbreviation for it.  I remember some people just calling it Metropolis Part 2 or even M2.

Come on Bobbo, I replied to your statement about a lack of abbreviations with an abbreviation. Don't take me so seriously. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
I've also been around for about 10 years. I forget exactly when I joined up, but I it was sometime in 2001 or 2002. Amazing how the time passes. This place is as pointlessly entertaining as ever though. :)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »

Come on Bobbo, I replied to your statement about a lack of abbreviations with an abbreviation. Don't take me so seriously. :)

Abbreviation ≠ acronym  :P

I remember some people just calling it Metropolis Part 2 or even M2.

The 3DO's never-to-be-released followup?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »

Abbreviation ≠ acronym  :P

True, but it works in context.  An acronym is a type of abbreviation.

Adami, my sarcasm and humor detectors have both been fucking up pretty badly lately.  I think the firewall at work interferes with them.