Author Topic: The Pineapple Thief  (Read 62541 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: The Pineapple Thief
« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
Always reach for Pineapple Thief!  Zantera, did you check out THE Bruce Soord/Jonas Renkse collaboration Wisdom Of Crowds?  I bet this is right up your alley!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66D8U7xxh8
I thought it was about half good, half forgettable. Jonas sounds great over the music (especially music that isn't the blandy bland typical Katatonia) and Bruce does some great work, but it just wasn't interesting enough for a full album. Too many duds, IMO. I would be interested in hearing more though.

Yes I know this post is really old, I don't care. :)

My rankings:
Someone Here Is Missing
Tightly Unwound
All The Wars
10 Stories Down

The top three are great to good but 10 Stories Down is really boring. I would skip that one entirely or just save it for last if you're a completionist. Haven't heard any of the others.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2014, 01:31:30 AM »
If we're doing rankings:

Little Man
What We Have Sown
Tightly Unwound
Variations on a Dream
Someone Here is Missing
All the Wars
Abducting the Unicorn
10 Stories Down

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
Not at all man!  I just love that it was different for both and the odd pairing seemed to work well.

I am so looking forward to the new album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xenon

« Reply #248 on: September 10, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #249 on: September 10, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
Awesome. I kinda fell out of touch with these guys, so I'll have to give this a listen and see if I want to buy it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »
Not that I didn't know this already but I'm digging the first tune already.  Always an automatic buy for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
Alright the first 2 songs blew me away! :metal

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
I dunno, I really liked the way the first song started but I didn't like the second one too much and haven't been incredibly impressed so far. I'll keep it going...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: September 10, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
Jackie, you don't disappoint ever.  Must not be your cup of tea anymore.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not too excited about this album. I like the band, and they have some great albums, but I feel like there has been a decline in their outputs, and while All the Wars wasn't bad, it was very middle-of-the-road for me. I can't remember a single moment from that album. I'm kinda at that point where I don't even really want to check out the album, but I will solely on the fact that I like the band, but my hopes are pretty low.

Who knows, maybe low expectations is good in this situation. Maybe I'll like it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
Jackie, you don't disappoint ever.  Must not be your cup of tea anymore.

I liked the 4th and 5th, then I got a bit distracted but there were moments throughout that I dug. It ends really nicely. Trumpet n shit! I have to go through it again.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
Well another 2014 album that dissapoints. Some good moments but not worth to listen the whole thing for those.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2014, 07:06:57 AM »
I just recently got into these guys.  I am actually enjoying the new album.  But I'm not a longtime fan, so I don't have a lot of background with which to compare it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
I like it a lot too.  I wish they'd come to the States.  I'd love to see them live.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »
The new album was a flat line for me sadly. Like a 5 out of 10, but I'm leaning more to a 6 because even if none of the tracks stood out, there's still some effort put into it and I like the band. But after revisiting Variations on a Dream, 137, Little Man and What We Have Sown, the new album is just so pale in comparison. I wouldn't pay 15 bucks for this.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »
I've had Little Man and Tightly Unwound chilling in my iTunes for a while, but never gave them a proper listen.

Until today.

OH MY GOD.  These guys are amazing!  Like the perfect blend of Radiohead and Porcupine Tree.  Can't wait to soak up the two albums some more and dive into their discography.

Any suggestions to the order I listen to their albums?  Should I do one listen through each album chronologically, or soak and move in more of a crawl?
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:10 AM »
IMO Variations on a Dream, Little Man and What We Have Sown are their best albums. They have a few others that are pretty great as well, but those would be at the top. 137 is also really good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2014, 06:54:54 AM »
I love 137, that's a good call Jimmy.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
So with every listen I'm simultaneously becoming more obsessed with Pineapple Thief and irritated at their obscurity (it took me until 2014 to give them a listen after all).

As of now, my favorite album is Someone Here Is Missing, but Magnolia and 137 are close behind.  I've been enjoying each album separately, but Variations of a Dream has yet to click with me.  It's just too spacy for me so far.

Anyway, I'll be digging through this thread to get a better scope of their library, but what are everyone's favorite tracks?  I want to make sure I don't miss any critical songs in their vast collection of music.

Tl;Dr  Holy balls these guys are awesome.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
So well crafted.  Great melodies.  I wish they were bigger so i would be able to see them in the US.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
I've kinda lost some interest in them, because IMO they have gotten worse and not better, which is never a good trend. Someone Here is Missing was good, but Magnolia was very underwhelming IMO. But whenever I revisit the classics, I really enjoy it. Variations on a Dream and 137 are very under-appreciated albums, both are amazing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
Magnolia is getting great reviews but I do agree out of the lest 4 it is their weakest.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
As I normally do with my favorite bands, I have a playlist called "Best of Pineapple Thief" in iTunes.  Normally, it's about 20-25 songs, but Pineapple Thief has a whopping 35 tracks.  Would you guys add any others?  (In Order of album title)

Private Paradise
What Ever You Do Do Nothing
Parted Forever
Last Man Standing
Give it Back
Reaching Out
Dead In The Water
Wilting Violet
Wait
November
Snowdrops
We Love You
Simple As That
Alone At Sea
Sense Of Fear
Nothing at Best
Wake Up the Dead
Preparation for Meltdown
3000 Days
So We Row
Different World
And So Say All Of You
Vapour Trails
Part Zero
Remember Us
West Winds
What Have We Sown?
Prey for Me
Perpetual Night Shift
Kid Chameleon
Doppler
Release The Tether
PVS
Thursday 24th
Friday 25th
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:47:43 PM by Basekick »

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
I expected to have at least something to add but no, you got so many of my favourites on there! Although I've always enjoyed So We Row.

Other then that, Remember Us, Reaching Out and Too Much To Lose are my all time favourites. Plus We Love You, Part Zero, Snowdrops and What Have We Sown? Are amazing choices.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Basekick

« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »
I expected to have at least something to add but no, you got so many of my favourites on there! Although I've always enjoyed So We Row.

Oh man, that's a top 5 song of mine!  Somehow it got deleted when making the list.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »
I'm seeing a severe lack of "I/Who Will Light Up Your Eyes" and "Burning Pieces," but otherwise you hit all my choices.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #271 on: July 21, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »
Top five songs for me would be:

3000 Days
So We Row
Different World (probably my favorite)
Simple As That
Kid Chameleon

And dang, Burning Pieces is awesome.  Added to the list!  Light up your eyes is good, but it doesn't have that extra bit that makes it fantastic just yet.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2015, 03:11:03 AM »
I'm seeing a severe lack of "I/Who Will Light Up Your Eyes" and "Burning Pieces," but otherwise you hit all my choices.

Oh man I forgot! Good catch. Especially the second part. That song got me through some real rough times.

Did you have My Own Oblivion on there? It's an underrated track, I love the fuzzy production on that and the chorus.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »
Jeez, y'all reignited a TPT phase in me! Look at you. (Also aided by the fact that I didn't have the Shoot First download EP from Burning Shed, so I got that. And 8 Days.)

Another one I'd add to the list is "Drain." However, I have an unnatural love of the first record, and also Vulgar Unicorn, so perhaps I'm not seeing it objectively. (It's also the most PT-sounding one, at least pre-IA PT, so I am further biased!) Plus, that transition out of "Private Paradise!"

Offline pfillion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2016, 12:40:31 AM »
I own Tightly Unwound and I think it's amazing.   

But then I bought Variations on a Dream and it didn't really grab me...but I haven't pulled it out in awhile so I should give it another spin. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2016, 01:05:07 AM »
I own Tightly Unwound and I think it's amazing.   

But then I bought Variations on a Dream and it didn't really grab me...but I haven't pulled it out in awhile so I should give it another spin.

Variations on a Dream is a slow grower, but I think it's worth the time invested, and it's better than Tightly Unwound IMO. I would also recommend Little Man and What We Have Sown (with an epic 27-minute title track!).

I'll check out the new album but I don't have any expectations. I thought the last one was pretty forgettable and before that one we had All the Wars, which was also quite sub-par IMO.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »
The best song on the new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnx_qgvH8xk

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2016, 07:48:56 AM »
Totally missed that Gavin Harrison played drums on the new album, will check it out. Thought their last 2 albums were fairly disappointing (alright but nothing that stuck on my mind), especially with how good some of their older albums are. Variations on a Dream and Little Man are my favorites. Still, gonna give the new one a fair chance.