Author Topic: Meatloaf: Braver Than We Are  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Meatloaf: Braver Than We Are
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
Finally got around to giving this new album a few listens. As always, Meat delivers. Great album all around.

Offline Lowdz

Re: Meatloaf: Braver Than We Are
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
Finally got around to giving this new album a few listens. As always, Meat delivers. Great album all around.

Not heard the whole thing but I love Steinmans song writing. The two tracks I heard pre release didn't make me want to hear it as Meats voice was very weak and had no range at all.

Might have to give it a listen once it's streaming.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:24:37 AM »

Not heard the whole thing but I love Steinmans song writing. The two tracks I heard pre release didn't make me want to hear it as Meats voice was very weak and had no range at all.

Might have to give it a listen once it's streaming.

It's now on Spotify. I was thrilled when I heard that Steinman would be contributing to this album. I have no clue why they pre released the two tracks that they did. They're the weakest on the album IMO. I forgive Meat for his voice. The Dude is 70 and has pushed his voice to its limits, especially with never having an opening act or anything like that throughout his career. I'm pretty sure the guy's final life goal is to die on stage. He constantly pushes himself to the point of collapse.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
Marvin Lee "Robert Paulson" Aday.  :laugh:

Never was a huge fan of his music but appreciate the talent.

Jim Steinman wrote the new one. Does it have really long unwieldy song titles such as :

" You can lead a horse to water ( but you can't make it drink - least thats what I heard - i ain't tried it myself tell the truth ) "

:lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »
Yeah, Meat's had his problems with his voice. No one can accuse him of never giving everything.
I had tickets to see him a few years ago and it was cancelled because of his collapse. When he rescheduled the gig he was wheeled on on a stretcher with the ecg noise slowing and stopping then him jumping up to start the show  :lol

Saw him for the first time on the 10th anniversary of Bat and he was awesome. Great selist too with several o the songs from Steinmans solo album and Pandoras Box

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/meat-loaf/1988/manchester-apollo-manchester-england-7bc3a274.html

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 06:39:32 AM »
Jim Steinman wrote the new one. Does it have really long unwieldy song titles such as :

" You can lead a horse to water ( but you can't make it drink - least thats what I heard - i ain't tried it myself tell the truth ) "

Haha not as many as there usually is, although "Going All The Way Is Just The Start (A Song In Six Movements)" does cover that :D

It is quite an interesting album because most of the tracks are made up of much of Jim's earlier material. You've got the track Skull Of Your Country which was the origin of the 'Turn Around Bright Eyes' bit in 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart', Who Needs The Young which was the first song Jim ever wrote and a few others in there from Jim's many projects.

I absolutely love the album, I've been a fan of Meat for as long as I can remember. Grew up with Bat Out Of Hell 2 and since then delved into all his other records and Steinman's projects too. Meats voice certain isn't what it used to be but he manages to still bring the songs to life in such a special way.

Going All The Way is probably one of my favourite tracks Meat has ever recorded.

One thing that I have to say, I'm gutted that Meat has not recorded What Part Of My Body Hurts The Most, that is one Steinman song that is just crying out for him to do.Unfortunately contractual stuff to do with the Bat Out Of Hell musical prevents it :/

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:01:56 AM »
Going All the Way overshadows the rest of the album. It's so exagerately more awesome than the rest that it's not even funny.

I like also Loving you's a dirty job and Speaking in Tongues, and the little intro Only when I Feel.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »
Going All the Way overshadows the rest of the album. It's so exagerately more awesome than the rest that it's not even funny.

I like also Loving you's a dirty job and Speaking in Tongues, and the little intro Only when I Feel.

Loving You is a great track.

I really like Only When I Feel but it does feel more like an introduction to something, I wonder how it would have been if they had used it on Bat 3 and kept Break It spliced in there.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 09:15:28 AM »

I absolutely love the album, I've been a fan of Meat for as long as I can remember. Grew up with Bat Out Of Hell 2 and since then delved into all his other records and Steinman's projects too.

What Steinman projects would you recommend for a Meatloaf fan ?  All I have is Bad for Good (I think Surf's Up is my favorite Steinman song, but the Meatloaf version, poor Steinman tries but the song is just not in his limited range).

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »

I absolutely love the album, I've been a fan of Meat for as long as I can remember. Grew up with Bat Out Of Hell 2 and since then delved into all his other records and Steinman's projects too.

What Steinman projects would you recommend for a Meatloaf fan ?  All I have is Bad for Good (I think Surf's Up is my favorite Steinman song, but the Meatloaf version, poor Steinman tries but the song is just not in his limited range).

There isn't really a lot out there outside of the Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler stuff to be honest, mostly just a few songs here and there.

Pandora's Box is worth getting, great versions of Safe Sex, It Just Won't Quit, Future Just Ain't What It Used To Be and All Coming Back To Me Now on there. It's a bit inconsistent but worth it for those tracks alone.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »

There isn't really a lot out there outside of the Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler stuff to be honest, mostly just a few songs here and there.

Pandora's Box is worth getting, great versions of Safe Sex, It Just Won't Quit, Future Just Ain't What It Used To Be and All Coming Back To Me Now on there. It's a bit inconsistent but worth it for those tracks alone.

I go along with the recommendation for Pandora's Box. The best versions of those tracks for me.
Yeah, JS isn't exactly prolific  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
Also his musical "Tanz der Vampires" should be worth checking out.

It's basically a greatest hits of his own songs combined in a rock opera about, you'd never guess, vampires. There are german and english versions of the songs.

The duet on Total Eclipse of the Heart is especially great - it turned from an '80 power ballad to a more epic and symphonic duet between the female lead and a baritone.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
I've been sort-of rediscovering Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell II album the past few days, and I'm hooked.  I remember really loving that album -- when it came out I was in junior high school and I begged my mom to take me to see him perform at Madison Square Garden.  I really feel like this album has a lot of progressive elements, and "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" is a simply brilliant and breathtaking song.  I must admit that my Meat Loaf resdiscovery also led me to re-listen to Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back To Me Now," which was a Jim Steinman song.  That song is pure magic -- both Celine's version and Meat Loaf's version from 2006! 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Bat Out of Hell II is awesome and I possibly even like it more than the first.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 11:19:37 AM »
Bat Out of Hell II is awesome and I possibly even like it more than the first.

Well, let's not get carried away.  The original is a Top 6 Album of all-time for me, and for a long time, was my 'desert-island' pick.  II is excellent, but the original is God-tier.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 02:56:51 PM »
This will be the final collaboration between Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman. Jim passed away  :'(

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jim-steinman-meat-loaf-songwriter-dead-obituary-1158472/

Gigantic loss for the world of music. He helped to shape legendary albums that will remain forever in the history of music.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »
Dayum.  Some of the catchiest music of all-time.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 06:59:31 PM »
I am prepared to fist fight anyone who dogs Paradise by the Dashboard Light. :P

R.I.P.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »

R.I.P.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ugvzn

Possibly favorite performance of it.  Meatloaf's voice sounds halfway shot but the intensity compensates.  Bonus Jim Steinman himself on piano

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 10:21:57 PM »

R.I.P.

Not this guy.  Bat Outta Hell is a Top 10 album of all-time for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 07:35:38 AM »

R.I.P.

Not this guy.  Bat Outta Hell is a Top 10 album of all-time for me.
I don't know about Top 10, but it's definitely fantastic, and solid all the way through.  A lot of people only know the hits, but as far as I'm concerned, this album is all killer, no filler.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »
This is a huge bummer for sure.

Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are (non-radio edit) gives me goosebumps every time I put it on, and I think it might be the best song he wrote.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 08:21:06 AM »
BooH II does have a bit of bloat, but that is absolutely a fantastic song - despite the ridiculous extravagance of the song title.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »

Haha not as many as there usually is, although "Going All The Way Is Just The Start (A Song In Six Movements)" does cover that :D

It is quite an interesting album because most of the tracks are made up of much of Jim's earlier material. You've got the track Skull Of Your Country which was the origin of the 'Turn Around Bright Eyes' bit in 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart', Who Needs The Young which was the first song Jim ever wrote and a few others in there from Jim's many projects.

I absolutely love the album, I've been a fan of Meat for as long as I can remember. Grew up with Bat Out Of Hell 2 and since then delved into all his other records and Steinman's projects too. Meats voice certain isn't what it used to be but he manages to still bring the songs to life in such a special way.

Going All The Way is probably one of my favourite tracks Meat has ever recorded.

One thing that I have to say, I'm gutted that Meat has not recorded What Part Of My Body Hurts The Most, that is one Steinman song that is just crying out for him to do.Unfortunately contractual stuff to do with the Bat Out Of Hell musical prevents it :/

Agreed 100% on Going All The Way (and the rest of your post). That's such a phenomenal track. I still find myself listening to this album all the time.

I'm a real sucker for Dead Ringer For Love as well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
Jim wrote some great songs - so good he kept reusing them all the time 😁

He certainly wasn’t prolific but he had a sound all his ow.

One of the greatest gigs I ever went to was Meat Loaf in 1987 on the Losr Boys & Golden Girls tour, playing the Steinman songs from his solo album.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 08:07:53 PM »
just wanted to say that Bat Out of Hell is an amazing record. RIP
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!