Author Topic: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. A New #1 Has Been Crowned  (Read 34677 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. We're Closer to the End
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:03 AM »
 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2012, 04:30:18 AM »
Interesting to see Nine so high, but really, I'm not gonna complain, it's magic.  Awake!!  :metal  And Burnt Offerings is amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2012, 05:08:46 AM »
I agree that Nine is a great album, but I'm not sure how any album that's only a few months old could be so high in a Top 50 of all time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2012, 05:11:47 AM »
I agree that Nine is a great album, but I'm not sure how any album that's only a few months old could be so high in a Top 50 of all time.

I love the album a lot, but I agree here, especially since my list the most recent album is as you know 5 years old.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
None of my top 50 albums contain a bad song, but there may be a song on some that isn't up to par with the rest. Every song on Nine is brilliant. Will it be that high next time around? Possibly not, but only time will tell...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Not heard this IE album yet, but as a fan I will get to it.

Awake is a great album, if not top tier DT for me. I struggled with it for years following the awesomeness that was I&W. Maybe it would have been different hearing it at a different time as younger fans would have. Anything would have struggled to follow I&W for me.

CM are really good, and this album continues that. Not sure I'd be comfortable putting something that recent on my top 50 but this isn't my list  ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »
You and I feel exactly the same about SDV and Awake. :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
None of my top 50 albums contain a bad song, but there may be a song on some that isn't up to par with the rest. Every song on Nine is brilliant. Will it be that high next time around? Possibly not, but only time will tell...

Fair enough.  It's really interesting the diverse takes everyone has on their own top 50.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »
SFAM at 18 is too low though I wasn't expecting to see it at all in your list so we're cool  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
AWAKE :letam: :2metal: :metal
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »
Not heard this IE album yet, but as a fan I will get to it.

Yes you do. Zook is correct with pretty much everything that he has written about the album. Especially the title track and Dante's Inferno are masterpieces.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
12. Kamelot – The Black Halo (2005)

Memento Mori. Nuff said. The Black Halo was the last great Kamelot album before they got all gothic on us and started writing boring elevator music. The album starts off with their heaviest track, March Of Mephisto. Kamelot is known for being a power metal band, but this is some pure Heavy Metal. Featuring vocals by Demon Booger’s Shagrath, who plays the role of Mephisto, adds even more heaviness that’ll blow Doc Brown’s mind. When The Lights Are Down is a more traditional power metal tune, but still keeps it heavy. Kamelot has never really written the rainbows and unicorns poppy power metal like Sonata Arctica used to, at least not to my knowledge. They’ve always had a darker heavier tone, and it’s much more present on The Black Halo, even on the fast tracks. But there are also more mid tempo moodier pieces like This Pain and Moonlight. Roy Khan gives us an exceptional performance on Abandoned, which also has a reprise from Epica that is really beautiful, haunting and epic. I’m not much for the interludes of Epica and The Black Halo, but Interlude I: Dei Gratia, which comes before Abandoned is also really eerie and haunting and opens the track well. Back to Memento Mori now. The almost 9 minute masterpiece is Kamelot’s crowning achievement and I don’t think they’ll ever surpass it. They pulled out all the stops for this song, and within in it, created an intense and just bad ass instrumental section which isn’t common in Kamelot’s music. Some say having Serenade as the closer track kills the epic finish from Memento Mori, but I rather like Serenade, and it works as a cool down from the epic ear fucking that Memento Mori just gave us. A lot of sequels suck, but The Black Halo surpasses Epica in every regard, and is Kamelot’s best album. AND THAT’S OBJECTIVE BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Recommended tracks: When The Lights Are Down, Soul Society, Abandoned, Moonlight, The Black Halo, Memento Mori, Serenade

11. The Magnificent – The Magnificent (2011)

This was the album where Michael Eriksen knocked Russell Allen out of my #1 singer spot. I was quite amused and put off when I saw the track list for this album because of all the cheesy song titles which screamed 80s hair metal, but once I listened to it I was surprised by how good these songs were. Yes, they are very cheesy 80s inspired hair metal love songs, but they are written really well, and I don’t think the album as a whole would have worked with someone else singing. Michael Eriksen has so much charisma and passion in his singing and fits in so well. As a homage to 80s hair metal, they do it better than every band I’ve heard from that genre (Come at me, Kangaroo Humper) and have way more class. Holding On To Your Love, Cheated By Love, and Memories start off the album with a 1-2-3 punch from hell. Seriously, not many albums start off this strong. Memories, my favorite from the album is so much fun to sing along to and the song in general is just so…. Happy. Sometimes that’s just the best kind of rock/metal to listen to. I cannot say enough good things about Michael Eriksen’s performance here, but it would be a crime not to mention the brilliance of the other musicians. I believe if The Magnificent would have come out in the 80s, they would have been bigger than Bon Jovi. I’m going to be a broken record again, but every song on this album could be a hit. Pretty much every song follows the same formula and structure which is certainly a deal breaker for some, but The Magnificent isn’t a prog band, and other than the song structures, these songs sound nothing alike. I hope The Magnificent isn’t a one off project, because I WANT MORE. As I said, I was never a big fan of hair metal. Bands like Whitesnake have several good songs, but they also produced a lot of limburger. Only grade A Cheddar with The Magnificent :biggrin: If you like hair metal, and want something modern, check this album out NOW!

Recommended tracks: Holding On To Your Love, Cheated By Love, Memories, Love’s On The Line, Tired Of Dreaming, Lost

HM's:

Crimson Glory - Transcendence (1988)
I haven't listened to this that much, but giving it props for the holy shit vocals and catchy, but badass metal.

Loreena McKennitt – The Book Of Secrets (1997)
Nice new age folky stuff. You may have heard the remix of The Mummer's Dance. McKennitt has a nice voice, and there are some cool instrumentals here too.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)
Although I think this album is highly overrated, at the same time, it deserves the praise. I haven't heard every Pink Floyd album, but of the run from '73 to '79, this album is the most consistent, and doesn't have any weirdness going on (debatable I'm sure). I don't listen to this album much at all, but when I do, it's quite an enjoyable 40 minutes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. Entering The Top 10! (Finally)
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »
Black Halo  :metal

The Magnificent is a fantastic record, but number 11 of all time, wow!  You nailed the best tracks on the album though.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
I've heard lots of good things about the magnificent; should check them out. Nice to see CG get some attention

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2012, 10:00:06 AM »
I've heard lots of good things about the magnificent; should check them out. Nice to see CG get some attention

You should. Top notch melodic rock. In a similar vein is Leverage if you haven't heard them. Great riffs, great vocals.

Black Halo is good, but I preferred Kamelot around the Fourth Legacy, Siege Perilous, Karma time when everything wasn't so intense and serious.

Crimson Glory Transcendence is cool too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
And now for something controversial.

Coming in at #10

10. Disturbed – Believe (2002)

After waxing my carrot to The Sickness for a year, I was ready for new Disturbed. I downloaded a soundboard bootleg of them playing Prayer for the first time, and this live version also made it to radio. A little off topic side note about the bootleg: it provided me with a slew of great sound bites for my custom Disturbed Worms team in Worms Armageddon. Anyway, Prayer was certainly different than anything on The Sickness, most notably being more melodic. I liked it A LOT though, and got me super pumped for the next album. In early 2002, Disturbed released two new songs to the fans, being Intoxication and Bound. I couldn’t stop playing these songs. Now, being a rabid Disturbed fanboy at the time, I would have eaten up anything they released, but almost 10 years later, the only thing from Believe that didn’t age well was the production, but even that isn’t that bad. This album is damn near perfect, but there is one thing about it that is a little lacking. “But Zook, this album is in your Top 10. How could it be lacking anything?” Good point, Timmy, but aside from the Nostalgic, sentimental and life defining aspects, this album fucking OWNS. The lacking part I was referring to is the lyrics. I think David Draiman is a good lyricist, and all the songs on Believe have good lyrics but – “All the songs have good lyrics? You’re joking right? Liberate your mind, mother fucker?” Timmy, shut the hell up. But speaking of Liberate, and before I was rudely interrupted, 3 of the songs just repeat the first verse over again, like Liberate. With Awaken, when they repeat the first verse again, the music is slowed down giving it a less repetitive feel, but then Intoxication does what Liberate did. Also, a lot of the second verse lyrics in the other songs are only changed slightly from the first verse. These are tiny little nitpicky things that don’t bother me, but would paint Draiman as being a little uncreative. He would repeat this again on Ten Thousand Fists.

Now that that is out of the way, back to what I love about this album. I’d say Believe is the album where I really fell in love with drums. Mike Wengren is a great drummer, and his double bass work on this album is killer. I mean, it’s nothing crazy, but it SOUNDS so good. The bridge of the title track when the double bass comes in is so intense and adds a lot. Also to note is Draiman’s new more melodic approach to singing. Well, he can actually sing, and that also adds a lot of dynamics to the sound. Rise is just a straight up ass kicker with a great riff, and the mini instrumental section is the tits. Bound has a great mini instrumental section as well. Maybe repeating the same badass riff over again doesn’t count as an instrumental section, but if you have a better name, please enlighten me. When the samples showed up online of all the songs, the one song everyone was talking/complaining about was Darkness, an acoustic piece with a cello and Draiman singing with his surprisingly awesome melodic clean voice. No drums, electric guitar, just a haunting mellow acoustic song. I was hoping the song would pick up after the second chorus, but it stayed mellow. Very controversial for a band like Disturbed to make a song like this, but I really like it. A lot of fans cried sell out when Believe came out, but I think they got better. The songs were more personal and mature (But Liberate!) and they proved they weren’t just a dime a dozen nu metal band screaming obscenities. Despite its minor flaws, I’m content in having this in my top 10 as it’s just a truly great album from a once great band. Also, the Believe pendent is fucking awesome.

Recommended tracks: Prayer, Believe, Remember, Intoxication, Rise, Mistress, Bound

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
In 2003 or so, I was in a music store that was having a closeout sale and I was looking for a new band to check out.  The two CD's I was trying to decide between were Believe and Opeth's Damnation.  I chose Damnation and soon thereafter became a HUGE Opeth fan.  To this day even though I don't dislike Disturbed and probably would be into them if I gave them a chance, I do not own a single album of theirs.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
There are a few things on this list that I'm not into, but well over 90% of this stuff is top notch in my zbook :hat

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »
Fuck yes Believe. Though I prefer The Sickness, it's a great record.  :hat
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
Loreena Mckennitt is wonderful.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »

You should. Top notch melodic rock. In a similar vein is Leverage if you haven't heard them. Great riffs, great vocals.

Black Halo is good, but I preferred Kamelot around the Fourth Legacy, Siege Perilous, Karma time when everything wasn't so intense and serious.

Crimson Glory Transcendence is cool too.
Huuuuge thumbs up for this suggestion. Major fan of Leverage.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
I really like Disturbed, cool pick!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »
I was going to have an update tonight, but had some family matters. In the meantime, let's take a look at the road so far:

50.   Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow
49.   Green Carnation – Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
48.   Def Leppard - Pyromania
47.   Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory
46.   3 Doors Down – The Better Life
45.   Alyson Avenue – Presence Of Mind
44.   Nightwish – Imaginaerum
43.   Judas Priest – Painkiller
42.   Stone Sour – Come What (Ever) May
41.   Blind Guardian – A Night At The Opera
40.   Evanescence – Evanescence
39.   Within Temptation – The Silent Force
38.   Missy Higgins– The Sound Of White
37.   Metallica - …And Justice For All
36.   Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast
35.   Pathosray – Pathosray
34.   Disturbed – The Sickness
33.   Suspyre – The Silvery Image
32.   Megadeth – Countdown To Extinction
31.   Iron Maiden – Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
30.   Star One – Space Metal
29.   Blind Guardian – Nightfall In Middle-Earth
28.   The Offspring – Ixnay On The Hombre
27.   Pyramaze – Immortal
26.   Circus Maximus – The 1st Chapter
25.   Iron Maiden – Somewhere In Time
24.   Into Eternity – The Scattering Of Ashes
23.   Within Temptation – The Unforgiving
22.   Symphony X – V: The New Mythology Suite
21.   Redemption – The Origins Of Ruin

20.   Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes
19.   Redemption – Snowfall On Judgment Day
18.   Dream Theater – Scenes From A Memory
17.   Redemption – This Mortal Coil
16.   Theocracy – Mirror Of Souls
15.   Circus Maximus – Nine
14.   Dream Theater – Awake
13.   Iced Earth – Burnt Offerings
12.   Kamelot – The Black Halo
11.   The Magnificent – The Magnificent
10.   Disturbed – Believe

Bedtime!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. The Road So Far
« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
9. Queensryche – Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

My familiarity with Queensryche goes back to the early 90s, but I didn’t get into them until October 2004. My step-dad took my brother and me to an Evening with Queensryche concert where they played Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety. I bought the album the day of the concert and we listened to it on the way to the venue. I believe we only got to The Needle Lies, but what I heard peeked my interest. The show of course was amazing, but I’d never seen anything like that. We got a best of set before the album, so I got to hear some familiar tunes. Also to note is that my step-dad had Queensryche’s greatest hits, so I was reminded of the songs I hadn’t heard on the radio in a long time. After the concert I listened to O:M pretty much nonstop. I Remember Now and the short but sweet instrumental, Anarchy X set the tone for this dark depressing story. lol Geoff Tate shines and I love singing to these tunes. The bass and drums complement each other so well to create awesome groove. The guitar work is also great, with catchy solos and stellar rhythm work. Operation: Mindcrime gets better with every track, especially the haunting 10 minute Suite Sister Mary. You can feel Nikki’s pain and dread as he makes his way to kill Mary. I used to not like The Needle Lies, but it’s grown on me a lot. Breaking The Silence is what Fates Warning based their career around :P and the singles, I Don’t Believe In Love and the epic closer Eyes of a Stranger (along with the shorter interludes) bring the album to an epic finish. EPIC EPIC EPIC. Operation: Mindcrime is one of the greatest concept albums around, showcasing different moods and delivering quality metal. If you’re intrigued by my crummy write-up and like the album, do not, and I repeat, do not by any circumstances listen to the sequel. It sucks. My write up doesn’t do the album justice, so just listen to it. It’s amazing.

Recommended tracks: Operation: Speak, Spreading the Disease, The Mission, Suite Sister Mary, I Don’t Believe In Love, Eyes Of A Stranger

HMs:

Anthriel - The Pathway (2010)
This album almost made it to my top 50, but the last couple songs are on the meh side. Promised Land rips off DT's Afterlife, but it does have a great chorus. These guys are in love with Symphony X, so if you like them, check out The Pathway.

Godsmack - Faceless (2003)
Lyrics aside, Godsmack pulled out all the stops on this album, and the addition of new drummer, Shannon Larkin make it that much better. Unfortunately, they turned to suck after this one, and never recovered.

Missy Higgins - On A Clear Night (2007)
Sophomore album by the Australian singer/songwriter. It doesn't have the same flare as her debut, but most of the songs are excellent. It has my favorite song of hers, Warm Whispers.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Zook’s Top 50 Albums Thread! v. 25 bucks a @#$%
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »
O:M rules!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »
No argument here. A true metal classic. Ahh, when I think of how great they were, and what they became just a few years later, it makes me so mad. It should  not have come to this. If the band and TLT can record a great album I can pretend the last 18 years never happened.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
Mindcrime :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2012, 02:24:53 AM »
Out tastes are so much alike!!! I mean incredibly similar.. so much so that I could have written almost the same list!

When I'm done with the reviews at hand.. I'll read through the whole thread!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
Top 10 album for sure.  Good pick.

And you're right, the sequel sucks.  I refuse to accept it's existence.  Bastard child for sure.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2012, 04:55:17 AM »
You know, I've tried many times to approach the sequel with an open mind, but I simply cannot accept it either.  If it were an album in its own right and it didn't try and leech of the beauty of the original, it wouldn't be a half bad Ryche cd, but, as it is, no thanks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:45 AM »
Feel the same... couple of songs standalone aren't too bad (I like Signs Say Go), but it does just try to ride the coat-tails of the original, with about 2% of the effort (and the result shows).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
You know, I've tried many times to approach the sequel with an open mind, but I simply cannot accept it either.  If it were an album in its own right and it didn't try and leech of the beauty of the original, it wouldn't be a half bad Ryche cd, but, as it is, no thanks.

When I heard they were doing I was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".  and when I heard it I wanted to strangle Tate. There are a couple of the better Tateryche songs on it but it was always going to be awful. Had the original band wrote it (CDG included) I doubt it would have lived up to expectation, but it was dire. As everything Queensryche has been for a generation.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
O:M was one of the first metal albums I ever got. Good stuff.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
When I first got OM2 I was fairly happy because there were some heavier tracks (ReArrange You, The Chase, Murderer, Im American) so I took that as a positive.  But there was a lot of crap on it too, which turned me off.  If the disc was condensed I believe it would have been better.  I dont dislike part 2 by any stretch though.