Author Topic: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)  (Read 28027 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
With DC, I feel like they mix it up pretty well between Higher Powers and Scientific beginnings.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: July 03, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »
Kotowboy, you never heard of the Justice League?

Not really no. I'm not a comic book / superhero guy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #282 on: July 03, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
As a kid the Justice League was more popular then The Avengers.  I loved both. The Justice league had a terrible kids cartoon in the 70's (I loved it as a 7 year old).  You should rent the newer 4 season of The Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.  you'd like the storyline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_%28TV_series%29
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
Wasn't it called Justice League of America when we were growin up, King?  And yeah, on Saturday morning cartoons, DC had much more presence.  Spidey (and his Amazing Friends) was about it for Marvel.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
Wasn't it called Justice League of America when we were growin up, King?  And yeah, on Saturday morning cartoons, DC had much more presence.  Spidey (and his Amazing Friends) was about it for Marvel.

Yes, "of America".  Definitely serious Saturday morning with a bowl of cereal action!  :corn
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »
Nope.  It was on right after Alphabet Soup.

5:30am was Captain Bob painting.
6am was Barbapapa
6:30am Was Alphabet Soup and
7am was the "Super Friends"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2013, 02:32:48 AM »
If DC names the Justice League movie "Justice League of America" or something like that I will be seriously disappointed and honestly upset.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2013, 05:27:01 AM »
If DC names the Justice League movie "Justice League of America" or something like that I will be seriously disappointed and honestly upset.
Why?  Historically, that was the name of the group.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
Yes I know, I know, it's just how I'd feel. If they name it that it'll just feel like they're pissing unnecessary nationalism on the rest of us.

That was also my least favorite part of Man of Steel: "How do we know you won't turn on 'murica? You can fuck up the rest of the world all you want but don't you turn on the one country that matters".

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Yes I know, I know, it's just how I'd feel. If they name it that it'll just feel like they're pissing unnecessary nationalism on the rest of us.

That was also my least favorite part of Man of Steel: "How do we know you won't turn on 'murica? You can fuck up the rest of the world all you want but don't you turn on the one country that matters".

So members of the U.S. Military showing concern that Superman may turn on the U.S. doesn't make sense to you?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:10 AM »
When he is on American soil!! :lol

If he was in Russia, they'd ask the same thing!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
Just got back from seeing it and I thought it was incredible. Pretty much exactly what I wanted from a Superman movie.

And hot damn, that must be a world record for amount of people massacred and murder in a PG-13 movie. Damn.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »
Yes I know it's something he'd probably say it just bothers me  :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »
Just got back from seeing it and I thought it was incredible. Pretty much exactly what I wanted from a Superman movie.

And hot damn, that must be a world record for amount of people massacred and murder in a PG-13 movie. Damn.

Naw. Independence Day blew up New York, LA, and Washington DC at ONCE. That's a death toll in the tens of millions right there. Roland Emmerich specializes in massive body count PG-13 movies-half the northern hemisphere getting iced over in Day After Tomorrow, just about the entire planet in 2013. Man of Steel isn't even in that league.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
So my cousin and I had a good conversation about this movie today.  He's been a comic purist for a long time and I through him for a loop today and he agreed with me. 

Most don't like when a character, such as Superman is not like the other movies.  I explained to him that even the comic books every 10 years or so they change the characters to fit the times.  Hell, Surperman had a mullet and had a black uniform.  He then said, but this Superman killed Zod, that's not Superman!  I then asked him, has Superman killed in the comic books before?  He started to laugh, and said, "You know what?  He did?"  "I guess I just have this perception of Superman that I want or like!"

And he made my point to those who complain that it's not my Superman.  It never was,  Throughout the decades, Superman has always changed in the comic books.  People just want their Superman from "Their" era.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:03:57 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
So my cousin and I had a good conversation about this movie today.  He's been a comic purist for a long time and I through him for a loop today and he agreed with me. 

Most don't like when a character, such as Superman is not like the other movies.  I explained to him that even the comic books every 10 years or so they change the characters to fit the times.  Hell, Surperman had a mullet and had a black uniform.  He then said, but this Superman killed Zod, that's not Superman!  I then asked him, has Superman killed i the comic books before?  He started to laugh, and said, "You know what?  He did?"  "I guess I just have this perception of Superman that I want or like!"

And he made my point to those who complain that it's not my Superman.  It never was,  Throughout the decades, Superman has always changed in the comic books.  People just want their Superman from "Their" era.

:tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #296 on: July 07, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »

Most don't like when a character, such as Superman is not like the other movies.  I explained to him that even the comic books every 10 years or so they change the characters to fit the times.  Hell, Surperman had a mullet and had a black uniform.  He then said, but this Superman killed Zod, that's not Superman!  I then asked him, has Superman killed in the comic books before?  He started to laugh, and said, "You know what?  He did?"  "I guess I just have this perception of Superman that I want or like!"

That's true.  Hell, I remember when John Byrne did his revamp of Superman in the mid-80s (beginning, ironically enough, with a 6-issue miniseries called Man of Steel), he depicted Superman as killing (ironically enough again) a group of Phantom Zone villains.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2013, 05:03:46 AM »
I saw the movie yesterday and have had time to reflect. So here's my take.

All in all I thought the movie was ok. HAve to say though that it wasn't really what I'd hoped for from the trailers and from what had gone before ala Nolan's Batman.

I thought this version of Superman in isolation was a definate plus. The way that he had to learn to become Superman was a lot more present in the film rather than us seeing snippets of him growing up and the being the finished article. I thought the transition was a lot more apparant. Even to the point that he seemed like he was only just out of nappies (metaphorically speaking) when he starts getting his ass handed to him by Zod and his minions. But, I also feel that this is where the plot fell down for me.

Essentially, I feel they tried to tell too much of the story in this film. It felt disjointed and fragmented and jumped around a lot. A much more linear - this is what happened on Krypton - this is what happened to Zod - this is Soop as a boy - this is Soop learning to accept his true nature and grow in to  it - this is Soop adapting to life as an adult - and this is Soop being Super - the end would have made me a happy bunny.

Zod coming to earth to teraform and tear soopy a new one could have been a sequal no sweat; but because they put this in the first film there wasn't much chance to see Soop being very super as he was constantly fighting foes that were on a level playing field with him. Not only that, but the people of earth ('muricka) would have rallied behind Soop as they would have recognised him as one of their own had he been already established as a an earthly citizen albeit a very different type of citizen.

I also am not in to the fact the Lois Lane knows who he is from the get go. It does make a lot more sense from the journalistic POV, but then this is supposed to be fantasy.

The fight scenes although spectacular did get a bit much. The action is fast and very close up and just becomes a wash of noise and flying debris. The best fight scene for me in a Superhero movie was Spideys with Doc oc atop the elevated train. That had everything and not a soul did perish.

I'd say it's worth a watch but I really hope that much of this is there to set up a great storyline in the sequal. Otherwise, it was just a bit too much story,too much fighting between guys that can't really hurt each other and too much jumping around with the timeline.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2013, 07:34:46 AM »
Very well said.   :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
This was the best Dragon Ball Z live action movie ever made!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: December 04, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »
Cavill's favorite Superman villain is my fav too; Doomsday. I really really want to see Doomsday in a live action Superman movie. Or they could put him in the Justice League movie and do that thing where he takes out the entire JL using only one of his arms.