Author Topic: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)  (Read 28080 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
I guess I'll put it in my Netflix queue when it comes out on DVD.

From what I've heard the flick seems like it might be fun.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »

He was bred for the purpose of of defending Krypton - he said that himself in the film.  And there is no indication that he was ever any kind of villain on Krypton.  Even his actions at the council, he saw as being in the defense of his world.  I just don't see what destroying another civilization has to do with that, and I think that is a weak point of the script.

Now, like I already said, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and can't wait for the inevitable sequel.  But unless I'm missing something here, I'm not going to give it a free pass on this point.

Not commenting on th writing,  weak or not.  But I will say that the circumstances *did* actually make Zod a bit sympathetic,  IMO.  Because of duty and who/what he was, what he did he was compelled to do.  His *own* people's survival was his only concern.  That is relatable to me.

I couldn't view him in the usual "bad guy" light.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »

He was bred for the purpose of of defending Krypton - he said that himself in the film.  And there is no indication that he was ever any kind of villain on Krypton.  Even his actions at the council, he saw as being in the defense of his world.  I just don't see what destroying another civilization has to do with that, and I think that is a weak point of the script.

Now, like I already said, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and can't wait for the inevitable sequel.  But unless I'm missing something here, I'm not going to give it a free pass on this point.

Not commenting on th writing,  weak or not.  But I will say that the circumstances *did* actually make Zod a bit sympathetic,  IMO.  Because of duty and who/what he was, what he did he was compelled to do.  His *own* people's survival was his only concern.  That is relatable to me.

Well-Intentioned Extremist?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
I fucking loved this movie. Awesome addition to the Superman mythos; I really think the sequel will solidify as a true contender in the superhero movie race but this is an adrenaline-pumping (and still somehow heartfelt) beginning to what could be an awesome series. Definitely need to see this again, perhaps in Imax.  :heart Faora.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline sueño

« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »

Not really in the way one normally thinks.  I don't see Zod as actually evil because choice doesn't seem to be bred into his DNA.  He was purposeful only in what he was designed to do.  That evoked a bit of understanding in me,
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:21 AM »
I fucking loved this movie. Awesome addition to the Superman mythos; I really think the sequel will solidify as a true contender in the superhero movie race but this is an adrenaline-pumping (and still somehow heartfelt) beginning to what could be an awesome series. Definitely need to see this again, perhaps in Imax.  :heart Faora.
As someone who enjoys Imax 3D if it's well done, it actually felt like a hindrance in MoS. It was hard to keep track of the action. I plan to see it again in 2D.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
I'll post this here as well and was wondering if anyone could confirm this.

Can any music aficionados confirm this about the score, my coworker said that the music in the trailer and also found throughout the movie and OST (which is glorious, worth purchasing) is a slowed down version of the classic John Williams theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

For reference in this trailer at 2:00 the soaring orchestral score he says is the same thing as the superman theme we all know. I can't really tell. Anyone say for sure?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:30 AM »
I don't hear it myself.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:22 AM »

Not really in the way one normally thinks.  I don't see Zod as actually evil because choice doesn't seem to be bred into his DNA.  He was purposeful only in what he was designed to do.  That evoked a bit of understanding in me,

Kind of like Clu in Tron: Legacy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
I'm seeing this tomorrow and i'm going in with ZERO expectations or preconceptions.

I've heard the full gamut from " It's awesome - better than The Dark Knight "

to " Worst movie ever made - huge disappointment. "

Offline Lucien

« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »
I saw it again today, and this time, afterwards, my father started talking about all the Christian references.

There are A LOT more than I thought there were.

Offline sueño

« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
Oh, Superman as a Christ metaphor has always been blatant to my eyes.  Father sending son with superhuman powers to Earth to save an ungrateful population.   ;)

In the "Superman Returns" film, there is even a shot of him in an obvious crucifixion pose.  Check here:  https://davidcove.webs.com/comparisonstochrist.htm

The references are legion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
I saw it again today, and this time, afterwards, my father started talking about all the Christian references.

There are A LOT more than I thought there were.

I wonder if the curse will affect anyone in this movie ;D

Margot Kidder went nuts and Superman was an allegory

Also - ET had a christ story ( comes to earth, can heal, returns to heavens ) - Drew Barrymore got messed up.

;D ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
Oh, Superman as a Christ metaphor has always been blatant to my eyes.  Father sending son with superhuman powers to Earth to save an ungrateful population.   ;)

In the "Superman Returns" film, there is even a shot of him in an obvious crucifixion pose.  Check here:  https://davidcove.webs.com/comparisonstochrist.htm

I wince every time i see genius spelled with an o.

Offline sueño

« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »

I wince every time i see genius spelled with an o.

I see where that is.  ;)  I KNEW it wasn't me!!!   :eek

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2013, 02:54:08 PM »
Saw it today, fucking LOVED it. I have none of the usual complaints, provided that Superman killing Zod is what motivates him in future installments to never kill again. Spectacular movie, loved how it handled the Lois/Clark dynamic, amazing fight scenes, Russell Crowe was awesome as Jor-el and Kevin Costner was bloody fantastic. Amazing fight scenes-the standard for superhuman fight scenes was set here. A great movie, and at risk of starting a nerd war, one I enjoyed more than Dark Knight Rises and nearly as much as Avengers. It's not perfect, but it's the best possible modern launch for Superman in films you can get.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
Agreed on all accounts, Jaq. I definitely liked it much, much more than TDKR (still hold TDK as my favorite superhero movie though, although this came pretty close) and a bit more than Avengers. This to me was a near perfect reboot as it touched upon the aspects that have already been established, albeit with a new coat of paint, while still making it feel fresh and adding plenty of new elements to make it their own. I didn't think at any point in the movie "I've seen this already, get on with it" like I did in, say, The Amazing Spiderman (which I think was mostly a failure and a piece of poopyshit); but it was enough for me to be reminded of Supe's origins in a new manner. Great film and I think I might go see it again tonight by my lonesome.

RIP DTP.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2013, 06:02:39 AM »
Glad to see others liking this movie as much as I did. I always held the first Superman movie as the greatest super hero movie ever made as it still holds up today, but I have to admit I like this new movie more. I was like a kid again watching the the first Superman movie for the very first time.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
I watched Superman: The Movie on Monday with my folks after not seeing it for about 10 years.  It's still a great movie, touching on a lot of the same notes as this new one with regard to the origin story.

The only thing holding it down is the Special FX.  You can tell that they obviously wanted to illustrate his powers in a variety of outlandish scenarios, but it comes across as cheesy because it looks so fake. Man of Steel manages to emulate the spirit of the first two movies while allowing us to suspend our disbelief throughout, thanks to advances in CGI coupled with Snyder's unique visual style, which was thankfully toned down (relatively).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
I recently saw it. It was not very good. I did not care about any of the characters and it was so action-packed that there was no room to breathe. It was like they turned it up to 11 and left it there for the entire movie. Very disappointing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
FInally saw it :

Very briefly : 50% a great film with awesome visuals and acting and story

50% Over the top CGI fighting and action.

I'd give it 7/10 overall.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
It seems like everyone is forgetting that Superman and Lois killed Zod, Non, and Ursa... and seemed to take pleasure in it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »
It seems like everyone is forgetting that Superman and Lois killed Zod, Non, and Ursa... and seemed to take pleasure in it.
What movie are you talking about?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2013, 05:20:28 AM »
He's talking about the second superman. Though it's not graphic those 3 do get killed by supes and Lois in the end.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2013, 07:45:09 AM »
If Blob thought there were too many explosions in Star Trek InTo Darkness and no mention of a few buildings getting toppled -

- then he's going to hate Man Of Steel.

I was getting really bored of the constant explosions and smashing and bashing by the end.

Offline sueño

« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
I was getting really bored of the constant explosions and smashing and bashing by the end.

This.

I rarely think a movie is "too long".  The amount that's charged for first-run films these days, it BETTER be longer than 90 minutes.  I've sat in three-hour movies and found myself wondering where the time went and sad when it was over.  And I definitely don't mind some good blowing up in a movie.   :xbones

It just seemed to be SO MUCH of it at the end without really good reason (IMO), I found myself wondering when they were going to simply get on with it.   :|

Still a decent flick.   :tup

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
My lord, the action sequences were fantastic.  I love the imaginative sci-fi aspects.  Zack Snyder never fails to disappoint.  And I am not usually the type easily swayed by eye-candy.....

Not great as a serious flick for, but one intense hell-of-a roller coaster ride.  The POV shots of Superman while fighting Zod in the air was sick!  Would watch again.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
Superman 2. He reverses the chamber to strip them of their powers, breaks Zod's hand, and throws both Zod and Non into the icy depth. Then Lois slaps Ursa before tossing her over.  "You know what? You're a real pain in the neck."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2013, 04:52:07 AM »
Superman 2. He reverses the chamber to strip them of their powers, breaks Zod's hand, and throws both Zod and Non into the icy depth. Then Lois slaps Ursa before tossing her over.  "You know what? You're a real pain in the neck."
:tup

Another reason that the Donner films are nowhere near as good as their nostalgic reputation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
:tup

Another reason that the Donner films are nowhere near as good as their nostalgic reputation.

Superman 2 is way overrated. I can't watch it anymore it drives me nuts. First off Lois Lane is in love with SUPERMAN not Clark Kent. She loves Superman for who he is, so when he made the choice to lose his powers, their was no reason for Lois to love him because he was no longer Superman! He was just a big old wimp that got his but kicked by a truck driver! That's not who Lois Lane is infatuated with!

Anyways the original Superman is a classic to me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Saw it again. Loved it even more. Speaking frankly, if you expected some ginormous expose into the lore of Superman in this singular introductory movie, you're kidding yourself and set yourself up for disappointment. As an introduction into the Superman world and as a full-on 'reboot', this was a fantastic way of showing the brutality of an alien race that sees nothing but potential to destroy, procreate, and repeat. Granted, this is my drunken opinion and I'm not out to offend anyone that hated the movie. In fact, I can completely see that point of view, but it really is all about expectations and what the movie actually brings to the table. If this were the third installment, I'd be right there with the naysayers. But this is almost 'meant' to be shallow in a way; it's a very simple intro, is how I see it. That line of thinking led me to take it as it is and enjoy every single brutal moment; and there were a lot.

It did feel a bit dragged out, that much I agree on. It could have easily cut out about 30 minutes and still been completely fine if not better for it. But as a beginning to what will more than likely be a series of installments, this is a fantastic start. No doubt that the next movie will expand upon the story, lore and general mysteries of the Kryptonian race, the 'true' power of this being dubbed the Superman, and his adversaries. I am so excited to see where this goes and I really think that Snyder, who I have paid absolutely no attention to as a director until now (hated 300, that god damn fucking bandwagon had burned and collapsed, and didn't even scoff at Blowjob Drunkpunch whatever the fuck), but he did justice to the Kryptonian race. Yeah, it could have been better, but it's a great start and I think that if he sticks to his guns, this could be a seriously amazing superhero series that puts Avengers in its place.

As it is, I really enjoyed this more than any of Marvel's movies if I'm really honest. I mean, I like the superheroes of Marvel more, but the way that the Marvel movies portrayed them were far less enjoyable than Man of Steel's rendition, in my puny little dumb opinion. So, hopefully they will delve more into the mysteries and lore of the Superman series instead of showcasing more of the brutality. We've seen what they can do and how otherworldly they are; it was fun and it was a good ride. Now let's see where they go, who can stand up to them, and their 'true' origins. Comic storylines FTW. There's amazing material to be used, fucking use it. Snyder is not an intellectual man, clearly...use what you already have and maybe put a spin on it. As long as his ego doesn't get in the way, I don't see why this can't turn into something incredible.

Just my drunken thoughts...after a bottle of wine and three shots. Little late disclaimer there....fuck broman.

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
As for Superhero movies - I preferred both Avengers Assemble & The Dark Knight Rises.

For movies i've been to see recently - i preferred Star Trek Into Darkness.

Man Of Steel could have downright amazing but the excessive destruction just ruined it for me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
I can completely see that point of view. But I love a good show of realistic (as realistic as showing aliens and superheros can be...) carnage, and for me this just hit the spot. Granted, my usual dose of carnage in the form of my bi-weekly/monthly manga called Gantz just ended so I am really starved for some serious gore and destruction. Too bad coliseums aren't still active and accepted; that'd be really good for both my entertainment (I AM) and population control; cause fuck humans.  :huh: /kyptonian

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »
Except there was excessive destruction in The Avengers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Right...portrayed completely different. Man of Steel was a jarring expose; up-close-and-personal and in-your-face carnage for as hardcore as you can get with a PG-13 rating. Avengers was a broad-scale, open-ended, 'world invasion' movie. It wasn't nearly as detailed as Man of Steels view of the actual destruction. I mean, Man of Steel was also, very clearly, a world invasion and was still that scale, but it showcased it in a very different way. I personally prefer the more detailed, up-close-and-personal showcase.

Or maybe we watched completely different movies. I don't fucking know. Opinions. Assholes. What was the purpose of that post? Because clearly Avengers didn't satiate my despicable desires. (Please don't take this for like...anger or purposeful offensiveness. I'm drunk /pointlessdisclaimer) Either way...I'm not actually asking...it's just...a weird post...at this moment...i...n...tim.....e.........tiiiiiiiiime....space...the UNIVERSE love you king shut up  :heart :millahhhh :millahhhh :millahhhh :millahhhh

RIP DTP.