Author Topic: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)  (Read 27946 times)

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Hey everyone i was hoping that i wasn't the only one who's pumped about the the new Superman movie.. it sets to be released next summer June 14th.. and today we got a new trailer of that movie!!..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U&feature=youtu.be

what do you guy's think of it :)?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Man of Steel (Zack Snyder's Superman)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
I thought Christopher Nolan was directing this.  Looks like he's producing, but still, I'd been really looking forward to seeing how he would handle a Superman movie.  Oh, well. 

Anyway, trailer looks cool. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »
I will most likely see it at the cinema when it comes out. Superman was never one of my favorite heroes, but it looks much more interesting than any of the older movies.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
Cautiously excited. I'll admit the reason I liked the trailer was because it seemed very un-superhero.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
I wanna see this just for Michael Shannon's portrayal of Zod. That man can churn out some serious hardcore emotion, and Zod seems like the perfect fit for his demeanor. We'll see if this is just another rehash, which I'm betting it will be, or if it will actually do what fucking Hollywood has labeled it as and 'reboot' the series. I really am getting sick and tired of these stories being retold over and over though. I mean, I know all stories are being retold, but c'mon, sprinkle some goddamn sugar on it, spice it up just a wee bit. After The Amazing Spider Man, I have little faith in any kind of reboot from anyone though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
I will most likely see it at the cinema when it comes out. Superman was never one of my favorite heroes, but it looks much more interesting than any of the older movies.
This, I've never liked Superman because he's just an overpowered unimaginative super hero in my eyes, but the trailer looked alright.  I thought it was for Aquaman at first when it was showed in theaters before TDKR

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
This, I've never liked Superman because he's just an overpowered unimaginative super hero in my eyes

Yeah, this is why I've been excited to see Nolan's input on the character.  If there's one thing I like about him as a director, it's that he has a way of taking concepts and making them feel very real.  I hope that carries over when he's producing, because Superman could use a dose of reality. 

Anyway, I wasn't sure who Zack Snyder was, so I just looked him up.  Looks like he's done some great stuff, too, so that gives me some hope. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
That trailer sucked. It left me wondering if Superman was on deadliest catch.

Superman the movie was awesome. Superman II was awesome. Superman II the Richard Donnor cut was pretty cool. The best part of Superman III was when he gets cocked lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_XjgF43U4U

Christopher Reeve was awesome and I can only hope they do it some justice. Some people just want to see action but Superman is more about a man who basically struggles with his identity living a double life. The story gets more interesting by bringing in the aspects of his Kryptonian side like Zod and hopefully it will be a good flick worth watching over and over again like the originals.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
All i could think of was LOTR!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
You should never bring Superman III & IV into the equation.  Both sucked. :lol  One was good and 2 was great.

Also as much as Nolan is my favorite director he's not the director here and who the hell hasn't heard of Zack Snyder?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »
Also as much as Nolan is my favorite director he's not the director here and who the hell hasn't heard of Zack Snyder?!

Forgive me.   :sadpanda:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
I'm shocked Jaffa!!

I loved his work but his last movie, "Sucker Punch"  sucked.  Visually is was awesome but the storyline was terrible.  Maybe that's where Nolan comes in.  I nice tandem it seems.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
I didn't even see Sucker Punch.  Or Legends of the Guardians, whatever that is.  Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead are great, 300 is pretty good, and if he's made anything else, Wikipedia isn't telling me about it.  So I don't really have all that much to judge him by. 

As for Superman, my feelings on the Christopher Reeve movies are that the movies were entertaining, and certainly groundbreaking for their time and genre, but really not all that captivating for me.  Superhero stories are definitionally unreal, but I don't like them to feel completely unreal, and the original Superman movies do feel that way to me.  To be honest, though, that might just be me projecting my problems with the character of Superman itself (something about nobody recognizing Clark Kent just because he takes off his glasses - it's always bugged me). 

At any rate, I'm curious to see a modern take on it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
I am too.  I think well all have to remember when Superman was written and what he stood for at the time.  So He's a very wholesome character and it will be nice to see a darker version of him.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
I'm not the biggest Zack Snyder fan to be honest. Dawn of the Dead was brilliant, 300 was okay, but Watchmen and Sucker Punch were both slow as hell. Hopefully he will deliver here though, I really like Dawn of the Dead as I said, so he has it in him.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
I sure wish C Nolan was directing it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
Also, this...

All i could think of was LOTR!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »
(something about nobody recognizing Clark Kent just because he takes off his glasses - it's always bugged me). 

Seems like I heard about some explanation where there's some sort of Kryptonian material in his glasses lenses that change his face to observers.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 05:45:05 AM »
I wanna see this just for Michael Shannon's portrayal of Zod. That man can churn out some serious hardcore emotion, and Zod seems like the perfect fit for his demeanor. We'll see if this is just another rehash, which I'm betting it will be, or if it will actually do what fucking Hollywood has labeled it as and 'reboot' the series. I really am getting sick and tired of these stories being retold over and over though. I mean, I know all stories are being retold, but c'mon, sprinkle some goddamn sugar on it, spice it up just a wee bit. After The Amazing Spider Man, I have little faith in any kind of reboot from anyone though.

I preferred Superman Returns to Superman 3 or 4 though by miles.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
(something about nobody recognizing Clark Kent just because he takes off his glasses - it's always bugged me). 

Seems like I heard about some explanation where there's some sort of Kryptonian material in his glasses lenses that change his face to observers.

I think this explanation probably bugs me more than just not having an explanation, to be honest with you. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 06:57:56 AM »

I think this explanation probably bugs me more than just not having an explanation, to be honest with you.

This. It's a comic book movie. just go with it. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »

I preferred Superman Returns to Superman 3 or 4 though by miles.

Ranking:
The first Superman
Superman II
Superman Returns
Superman III
Superman IV

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »

Ranking:
The first Superman
Superman II
Superman Returns
Superman III
Superman IV

This exactly.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

Ranking:
The first Superman
Superman II
Superman Returns
Superman III
Superman IV

This exactly.

I liked II better than the debut, but only marginally.

Superman III and IV have been purged from my memory fortunately.  The only things I vaguely remember are Richard Pryor, and some robot thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »
Flip I & II for me.

Curious, What trailer does everybody like more the one with the voice over from Jonathan or from Jor El?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
A Chris Nolan Produced Superman film ? My favourite superhero ?

Oh yes please.

I'm hoping not even Zack Snyder can make a film as bad as any of the last 4 spiderman films.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »
For fucks sake. They are having Zod in this movie? Terence stamp owned that role in the first two. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!  Aren't there other villains in the Superman universe?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 10:43:49 AM »
The new trailers are a bit underwhelming compared to what was shown at comic con, that footage looked awesome, even through a bad cam recording from far away.

I am actually looking forward to this movie very much. I have got a good feeling about it. Never liked the old ones actually because they are very slow and dull and boring, but that's understandable since they are old.

Also, am I the only one who really liked Returns?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
I'm a Zack Snyder fan. I loved Watchmen, and 300 was good. Dawn of the Dead was also great, though I didn't see Sucker Punch.

I think Christopher Nolan is a much better director, but it's nice to see him producing. Maybe if he keeps Zack Snyder on a leash, it'll turn out awesome. Zack Snyder is kinda infamous for his slow motion.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
Superman has never been at the top of my favorite superheros but this movie looks like it would grab my interest.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »
I'm going to wait and read a few reviews on the movie before I see it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
As far as the not recognizing Clark Kent as Superman thing....

Actually, as I grow older...that part becomes MORE believable, not less.    Because people often have an immediate disbelief when they first look at something that's way too obvious.    Psychologically, I think it works perfectly.   He changes *his demeanor* so much, that even though people see the resemblance, they immediately tell themselves..."NAAAAHHHH!"   

It's like if you worked at Target, and you were co-workers with someone who looked exactly like Lady Gaga...but they showed you ID to prove they weren't...you'd marvel at the resemblance, but then you'd blow it off and laugh.  "Like Lady Gaga would ever work at Target!" 

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
As far as the not recognizing Clark Kent as Superman thing....

Actually, as I grow older...that part becomes MORE believable, not less.    Because people often have an immediate disbelief when they first look at something that's way too obvious.    Psychologically, I think it works perfectly.   He changes *his demeanor* so much, that even though people see the resemblance, they immediately tell themselves..."NAAAAHHHH!"   

It's like if you worked at Target, and you were co-workers with someone who looked exactly like Lady Gaga...but they showed you ID to prove they weren't...you'd marvel at the resemblance, but then you'd blow it off and laugh.  "Like Lady Gaga would ever work at Target!"

While you have a point, Lady Gaga isn't a mysterious character who only shows up once in a while and only when your friend who works at Target has mysteriously disappeared and then returns right as Lady Gaga leaves.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
Ya, but what if she wore glasses and her *entire* demeanor changed?    Like, what if she was really good at pretending to be retarded?   And every time she came back from a world tour, she had the excuse that she has Lupus and sometimes has to stay home from work for extended periods of time? 

You'd believe it, because if you told anyone that you thought Lady Gaga was the retarded chick with Lupus who works at Target down the street, they'd haul you away. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
^ All this is pretty much exactly what happened in Returns when Richard starts to point out resemblances between Clark and Superman but then they laugh about it because Clark acts all goofy and stuff.