Author Topic: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man  (Read 74453 times)

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: P/R side chat thread, v. I am not a number I am a free man
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Obviously I'm married. I was trying to find practicality for you.

And I did. A god damn army of transformer toys.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline snapple

• The last hurrah? Nah, I'd do it again!
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
somewhere bosk is upset that he granted access to this exclusive section to us and we're talking about fleshlights and Transformers.
MLB 2014 Thread
DTF Cookbook

Driftin' away like a feather in air. Letting my words take me away from the hurt and despair

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
somewhere bosk is upset that he granted access to this exclusive section to us and we're talking about fleshlights and Transformers.

You can distract Bosk with your fleshlight and my army of transformers will claim victory over him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
I would print a 3D printer. And watch the singularity happen in front of me.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2012, 06:39:54 PM »
I would print a 3D printer. And watch the singularity happen in front of me.

rumborak

Since the inputs are done via computer, you should input a 4D image and stand back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
This was not the direction I expected my post to take this thread.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Remember the fear mongering about Glocks being plastic and able to skate past airport metal detectors?  I think John McClain might have started that nonsense. This is similar.  You can already buy the upper receiver that he printed without many questions.  If you buy a used assault rifle form a second party, which is already perfectly legal, it's no problem to turn it into a full auto.  There's really no threat here to registration of ownership, since it's fairly bogus anyway.  Another problem is that full autos aren't particular practical, as all of us gamers can attest.  There's a reason why the military use their weapons in a select fire mode (Bosk can correct me if I'm wrong).  Assholes like Aurura dude are better off using standard assault rifles than machine guns.  Moreover, there are still parts you won't be able to print.  I'm somewhat up on 3d printing, and I've heard nothing about printing metals.  A plastic barrel isn't going to help.  Springs?  Frankly, this is just being alarmist over something that won't matter for a variety of reasons.

As for 3d printing, groovy stuff.  The more fascinating implication will be what it does to the world job market.  For some reason, shoes are the thing that always gets cited as an example.  What happens to Nike, Reebok and Adidas when everybody's printing their own shoes?  Yeah, I'm gonna pay $120 for something that can be printed for $5.  LOL.  A well known torrent site already added a category for printable, BTW.  If they can make conductive components printable, then there goes a huge chunk of the electronics industry.  You'll be able to download an opensource motherboard and suddenly a million guys at Foxxcon are SOL.  In fact, an Xbox shouldn't be too hard to print up, except maybe the drives, and the opensource MOBO's would allow you to use off the shelf parts, unlike those bastards at M$. 

I'll also point out that plenty of people are building their own 3D printers.  The technology isn't all that complicated, and plans are readily available.  You can find plenty of DIY versions on youtube. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
An addendum to that post.  It occurs to me that a person could use such technology to print custom receivers, which means they could invent weapons that don't technically exist as of right now.  If you build a full auto upper receiver to a 22LR rifle, you've just created one vicious piece of weaponry.  Large ammo capacity.  Quiet. Zero recoil.  Great accuracy. Nasty business.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:16 AM »
I like the potential of 3D printers, but we're lightyears away from printing anything more complex than mechanics parts at home. The complexity involved in printing a mobo would just kill any monetary benefit.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »
And may it stay that way during my lifetime. The thought of such easy access to gun parts is horrific.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
And may it stay that way during my lifetime. The thought of such easy access to gun parts is horrific.

Yes, but imagine such easy access to an army of Transformer toys!

It's worth it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
Ye Gods.  You'd write off what could be one of the most important developments of the modern era because some people might print gun parts?  Were your parents hunted for sport or something?
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
Ye Gods.  You'd write off what could be one of the most important developments of the modern era because some people might print gun parts?  Were your parents hunted for sport or something?

It's pretty likely that many of his ancestors were, as were mine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »
That wouldn't contribute to an irrational fear of guns, though. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
That wouldn't contribute to an irrational fear of guns, though.

It should also be noted that the film "The Pest" is based directly on SuperDude's life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
 :lol

To be serious, I'm not necessarily writing off 3D printing as a whole. I mean, it does by its own nature bring the emerging world of post-scarcity closer by like twenty steps. But hey, even inventions capable of producing great good are capable of producing great evil. I hate guns. I see absolutely no redeeming qualities in owning or being capable of using guns. What great benefit does one get out of being able to kill people? And I do hate the idea of hunting, especially when it's for sport.

And yes, what Adami said.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
I see absolutely no redeeming qualities in owning or being capable of using guns. What great benefit does one get out of being able to kill people?

A family member of mine had someone break in to her house last week. While trying to rape her, he choked her to the point that her vision is still blurry. She could have benefitted greatly from owning a gun.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
I'm sorry that happened to your family member and I hope she's okay. That said, there are hundreds of other occasions in which that gun was used not to defend but instead to cause suffering. Heck, guns are used to get into people's houses and murder them. Or, the person in the house may decide arbitrarily that someone, of no fault of their own, is encroaching on their property, and promptly shoot and kill them. Or you could take the countless examples of times when dear ol' dad decides to teach his son the magic of learning to shoot his first gun, and junior ends up blowing his own head off.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
I didn't mean to throw that out there to stir the pot. I am obviously upset and angry and saddened by it all and felt like being argumentative. I think possibly a good can of mace would have done the trick. But I also know she is a single gal living alone in a crappy neighborhood, and she shouldn't have to fight for her life with nothing but her fingernails.

She is a fighter and a great woman, and getting better every day. She might be back at work today even, I haven't checked in.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
I realize you hate guns, SD, and that's perfectly cool, but your logic here is really poor.  First off, the overwhelming majority of guns are never fired at anything other than a paper target or a water bottle.  They're on hand just in case, and there's a certain sporting quality to them, as well. 

As for your countless examples of suicides, the Japanese kind of screw that one all to hell for you.  Interestingly, between filling their apartments up with hydrogen sulfide, which kills the first responders, and jumping in front of trains and making half of Tokyo late for work, I suspect they'd greatly prefer people to have access to guns. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
I don't believe civilians should have guns.

However everyone should be free to have one if they so choose.

Then again I welcome the complete destruction of humanity by their own hands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
I realize you hate guns, SD, and that's perfectly cool, but your logic here is really poor.  First off, the overwhelming majority of guns are never fired at anything other than a paper target or a water bottle.  They're on hand just in case, and there's a certain sporting quality to them, as well. 

As for your countless examples of suicides, the Japanese kind of screw that one all to hell for you.  Interestingly, between filling their apartments up with hydrogen sulfide, which kills the first responders, and jumping in front of trains and making half of Tokyo late for work, I suspect they'd greatly prefer people to have access to guns.

No, I think they'd prefer to crack down on suicides.

And honestly, I don't understand what's so sporting about having a gun. Must be a goyishkite thing.

Offline snapple

« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Just because you don't understand why doesn't mean people shouldn't have them. I don't understand why people do many things, but I just accept the fact that they do and it doesn't really matter to me.
MLB 2014 Thread
DTF Cookbook

Driftin' away like a feather in air. Letting my words take me away from the hurt and despair

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
I don't understand why people do many things, but I just accept the fact that they do and it doesn't really matter to me.

Well, I think I agree with you on the overall issue of gun control, but this particular logic doesn't apply very well here.  It's hard to say 'it doesn't really matter to me' about an issue that potentially determines safety.  I think gun control matters to pretty much anyone provided someone is aiming a gun at them. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
Example: I have a former friend who has a couple of screws loose and thinks the government is out to get him. He also believes that the government put fluoride in the water system in order to enable mind control (not indoctrination, mind you, actual mind control). He recently bought a gun, with a laser sight. I am very afraid of this fella.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »
Example: I have a former friend who has a couple of screws loose and thinks the government is out to get him. He also believes that the government put fluoride in the water system in order to enable mind control (not indoctrination, mind you, actual mind control). He recently bought a gun, with a laser sight. I am very afraid of this fella.

As you should be. But most gun owners are not your whacked out former friend.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
But a non-negligible amount of people are as whacked-out or more, right?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
And with 3D printing, it would be easier for those other known whackos, who may or may not be barred from possession of weapons for fear of inducing harm on others and/or themselves, to gain access to weaponry.

Offline snapple

« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »

Your fears and personal experiences =/= my fears and personal experiences.
MLB 2014 Thread
DTF Cookbook

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
I've been catching up with those assholes at the cop forum, and a lot of their recent discussions are interesting in relation to our current gun control motif.  For one thing, cops tend to be very much in favor of civvies owning and using guns, and they're pretty cool with CCW.  Regarding the notion here that guns turn normal people into deranged lunatics, the self-appointed protectors of the sheep think the opposite.  Given their attitudes towards their own safety and our worthlessness, I find that quite telling.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »
Regarding the notion here that guns turn normal people into deranged lunatics, the self-appointed protectors of the sheep think the opposite.  Given their attitudes towards their own safety and our worthlessness, I find that quite telling.

I wouldn't go as far as "deranged lunatics," but you gotta admit that holding a gun changes your perspective, and might make you do something you otherwise wouldn't do. Not just because you cant' do it, but because you now feel safe enough to do it.

But of course, that's not really going to be a problem for a law abiding citizen. Guns present more of a problem for crimes, because I'm willing to bet one of the biggest concerns for criminals is fear. Having a gun does away with that fear.

Anyways, came here to post this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/01/georgia-businessman-posts-sign-after-didnt-build-that-debate/#ixzz22K2GACc1

Times like this, democracy seems like a stupid, stupid fucking idea.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »
Regarding the notion here that guns turn normal people into deranged lunatics, the self-appointed protectors of the sheep think the opposite.  Given their attitudes towards their own safety and our worthlessness, I find that quite telling.

I wouldn't go as far as "deranged lunatics," but you gotta admit that holding a gun changes your perspective, and might make you do something you otherwise wouldn't do. Not just because you cant' do it, but because you now feel safe enough to do it.
Holding a gun absolutely changes your perspective.  In my case, it makes me acutely aware that I've got a deadly weapon in my hand, and any lapse in judgment or care can kill me or someone else needlessly.  I know you're not trying to argue with me about it, but it merits mention that for the law abiding, the extreme sense of necessary responsibility far outweighs the possible power trip.  The people who feel empowered because of gun ownership are the sorts that are just as likely to cause problems with or without a gun. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
But of course, that's not really going to be a problem for a law abiding citizen

Ya, definitely not arguing with you. Just playing devils advocate a little. If I truly had a problem with guns, I wouldn't live in Montana.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_CHINA_KNIFE_ATTACK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-02-06-05-46

A teenager killed eight people with a knife and wounded five more in northeast China after falling out with his girlfriend, state media said Thursday.

Figured this fit the discussion going on in this chat.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
On the lighter side of things. Sorta.