Author Topic: The DragonForce Thread - Reaching Into Infinity out now!  (Read 16165 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The DragonForce Thread - Reaching Into Infinity out now!
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
No. I think I sampled a little of The Power Within when it came out, but I guess I just didn't have time for it.

I was listening to The Edge Of the World after you mentioned it while ordering. Not a fan of those growls, but yeah, that dude is pretty good. I have the pre Hudson albums. They are same, but you can tell the songwriting improved with The Ultra Beatdown. I'm also glad to hear that those weird guitar effects have all but disappeared.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »
Here's the other songs I'd suggest checking out in advance for the Marc-era, TAC, at least for starters:

- Seasons
- Give Me the Night
- Symphony of the Night
- Tomorrow's Kings
- Silence
- War!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
Tim, that's the only growls you'll hear, besides Matt Heafy doing a couple of backup growls on the last album but not really worth noting.

Herman still has that video game effect thingy going on a bit, but that's his style so you just have to cop it.  I didn't realise you had the older stuff, so yeah, you should dig these newer ones.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2019, 07:20:48 AM »
Bump. It's been a long time since this thread was posted in.

DF are currently working on their next album. They used to be my favorite metal band, but since Fred has been taking over a lot of songwriting, I've been less than impressed with some of their work after their first 3, arguably 4 albums. And on top of that, Vadim left the band last May. The band has said absolutely nothing about it and continues to give updates on a new album but how can you have a DF album without Vadim? Who's the new keyboardist, are they touring with DF, how is a lack of Vadim going to affect their sound? He's one of their three shredders and nobody plays or sounds like Vadim.

DF probably aren't going to even touch the subject until the album is ready, which is disappointing, but I'm super curious about where they go from here.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
Vadim left the band???

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »
Last May. Confirmed it a couple months ago when I asked him on Facebook; he's made a few more comments about it since. Band is silent for some reason.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »
Herman Li has a twitch account where he streams the making of the album 3 times a week. https://www.twitch.tv/hermanli  ;D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2019, 03:52:48 AM »
The first thing I saw: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/337764636

The writing is going places.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:32 AM »
On September 27th, DragonForce will unleash their 8th full-length, Extreme Power Metal, worldwide. Produced in Los Angeles, California by Damien Rainaud at Mix Unlimited, Extreme Power Metal was also recorded, in part, on guitarist Herman Li's livestream channel on Twitch.tv (www.twitch.tv/hermanli) with participation from the fans. For a first preview of the album, a video for the new single, "Highway to Oblivion", can be viewed at: https://youtu.be/Rn5CsAs798I

"Highway to Oblivion" will also appear today, July 30th as a playable level in AUDICA (www.audicagame.com), a virtual reality "rhythm shooter" from Harmonix, the makers of Rock Band and Dance Central. Armed with a pair of rhythm blasters, players will be able to step into a cosmic arena and smash targets to the beat of the song. A standard edit of the song will be available as well as the intensely challenging full-length version. Clocking in at just under 7 minutes, the full-length version of "Highway to Oblivion" on Expert will be the most difficult song on the soundtrack to date. A flawless run with precise accuracy, timing, and form will earn players one of the coveted top spots on AUDICA's global leaderboards. For a preview of gameplay, follow Harmonix’s Twitter and Facebook pages.
https://twitter.com/Harmonix

Pre-order "Extreme Power Metal" in the USA and Canada now at: https://metalblade.com/dragonforce/ - where the record is available in the following formats:
- digipak-CD
- transparent purple w/ black/red/blue smoke vinyl (limited to 700 copies)
- transparent orange / red haze vinyl (limited to 300 copies)
* exclusive bundles with shirts, plus digital options are also available!

See below to pre-order the album in other territories:
--Europe & South America: https://dragonforce.lnk.to/ExtremePowerMetal
--Japan: http://wardrecords.com/page/special/dragonforce/

"Extreme Power Metal" track-listing
1. Highway to Oblivion
2. Cosmic Power of the Infinite Shred Machine
3. The Last Dragonborn
4. Heart Demolition
5. Troopers of the Stars
6. Razorblade Meltdown
7. Strangers
8. In a Skyforged Dream
9. Remembrance Day
10. My Heart Will Go On

DragonForce Tour Dates
Tickets - http://dragonforce.com/
Aug. 16 - Summer Breeze - Wittelshofen, Germany
Aug. 17 - Elb-Riot - Hamburg, Germany

DragonForce Tour Dates
w/ special guests Dance with the dead, Starkill
Tickets - http://dragonforce.com/ + VIP - http://bit.ly/DragonForceVIP
Oct. 1 - Encore - Tucson, AZ
Oct. 2 - Sunshine Theater - Albuquerque, NM
Oct. 3 - Vinyl @ Hard Rock - Las Vegas, NV
Oct. 4 - Strummers - Fresno, CA
Oct. 5 - Cargo - Reno, NV
Oct. 6 - Hawthorne Theater - Portland, OR
Oct. 7 - The Red Room - Vancouver, BC
Oct. 8 - El Corazon - Seattle, WA
Oct. 10 - August Hall - San Francisco, CA
Oct. 11 - The Observatory - Santa Ana, CA
Oct. 12 - Ventura Theater - Ventura, CA
Oct. 13 - Megacruise - Los Angeles, CA, USA *
*=only DragonForce

DragonForce Tour Dates
w/ special guests LOVEBITES + McRocklin McRocklin Hutch
Tickets - http://livenation.uk/T9So30p44m6/
VIP - http://bit.ly/DragonForceVIP
Nov. 2 - Liquid Rooms - Edinburgh, UK
Nov. 3 - Welly - Hull, UK
Nov. 4 - Stylus - Leeds, UK
Nov. 5 - Academy 2 - Manchester, UK
Nov. 6 - Institute - Birmingham, UK
Nov. 8 - Forum - London, UK
Nov. 9 - The Waterfront - Norwich, UK
Nov. 11 - Engine Rooms - Southampton, UK
Nov. 12 - Tramshed - Cardiff, UK
Nov. 13 - Roadmember - Northampton, UK
Nov. 14 - Northumbria Institute - Newcastle, UK

DragonForce Tour Dates
Tickets - http://dragonforce.com/ + VIP - http://bit.ly/DragonForceVIP
Feb. 5 - 013 - Tilburg, Holland
Feb. 6 - TBC - Belgium
Feb. 7 - Le Forum - Charleville-Mezieres, France
Feb. 8 - La Laiterie - Strasbourgh, France
Feb. 9 - CCO - Lyon, France
Feb. 11 - La Machine du Moulin Rouge - Paris, France
Feb. 12 - Krakatoa Club - Bordeaux, France
Feb. 13 - Metronum - Toulouse, France
Feb. 14 - L'Usine - Istres (Marseille), France
Feb. 15 - Konzertfabrick Z7 - Pratteln, Switzerland
Feb. 16 - Les Docks - Lausanne, Switzerland

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »
I'm thinking about going just to see them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »
I didn't see the RII tour because Vadim (keyboardist) wasn't on tour with them for contractual reasons... which really stinks because he left early last year and the band still hasn't acknowledged his absence. He was in the band for 17 years, on 7 records, and they just act like he was never there. I think the album art is a slap in the face too, because the garnered the 'extreme power metal' moniker in part due to Vadim's crazy keyboard technique, and having their actual likenesses on an album cover for the first time - but without Vadim - just annoys me.

So after being a huge fan for 16 years, that's kind of the straw that broke the camel's back: I'm not going to buy this album or ever see the band on tour again. Vadim doesn't get the credit or respect he should by the larger Dragonforce fanbase and the unprofessionalism of this band in recent years deeply irritates me.

EDIT: After reading a reply Vadim himself wrote to me, since he's at peace with it, I guess I should be, too. So that's the final word I have to say about that and I'll finally shut up about it. :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »
Been listening to quite a bit of DF lately. I love the idea of incorporating blast beats into happy-sounding major-key stuff, sounds awesome.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
I'm curious about the keyboard player thing though.  Did he just announce on his own social media pages that he was leaving the band, and the band never announced it themselves?  That does seem really weird.  Are they using backing tracks or do they have a touring player?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
I'm curious about the keyboard player thing though.  Did he just announce on his own social media pages that he was leaving the band, and the band never announced it themselves?  That does seem really weird.  Are they using backing tracks or do they have a touring player?

So, he officially left in May 2018. Questions started popping up around then (from myself, too, I've been on this for a long time  :lol). Some months later Vadim confirmed through social media that he left the band, and he pinned a post on his Facebook page about it because as of this morning people are still asking about his status in the band. The band has never once addressed *anything* about their keyboard situation since early summer 2017 when they announced Vad wasn't going to be on tour (due to contract, if he missed one date he had to miss the whole tour, and he chose to be with his newborn kid for a couple days which cost him the tour). They still haven't. Rumor is that Coen from Epica is the keyboardist on the album but nobody knows, and nobody knows if they'll be playing to tracks like they did in 2017 or if they'll have a live keyboardist.

In short, he left, the band never announced it, and eventually Vadim had to start putting it out there himself because he kept getting asked if he was in the band still. By his own admission he's not even friends with the guys in the band, which tells me there's a lot more going on.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
Double post. I was just presented this:

Still absolutely zero comment on Vadim. Still saltier than the Dead Sea. Coen's keyboard playing is bland as hell. Not at all psyched to hear what he's laid down here.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »
Weird.  I always find it strange when bands do stuff like that.  If there's a big long story with lots of drama and they don't want to go into it, I think that's fair.  But at least acknowledge that he's no longer in the band - put out a statement that both sides have decided to go their separate ways or something.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2019, 11:05:24 AM »
Exactly. They even did that when their original singer left and apparently that was a massive blowout between him and Herman Li. Oh well.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »
Was there actually drama involving Vadim's departure? I thought everything was brought into light by the video that he himself made about the situation, & I don't believe that he expressed any form of hostility or anything. It doesn't seem like the text from that screencap is trying to cover anything up.

That said, the new song is not doing anything for me, so I'm a little nervous for how this album is going to turn out (especially after the masterpiece that was RII). :|

Also what the fuck is that album cover & title. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
The problem I have with the first single is that while it's tight and fast as usually both the verse and chorus lacks anything that hooks you. I think the melody isn't constructed well with the harmonies or something atleast not in a interesting way too me.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2019, 06:04:21 AM »
I found the track lengths if anyone's interested

1. Highway to Oblivion (6:48)
2. Cosmic Power of the Infinite Shred Machine (6:36)
3. The Last Dragonborn (6:12)
4. Heart Demolition (5:39)
5. Troopers of the Stars (5:03)
6. Razorblade Meltdown (4:45)
7. Strangers (4:29)
8. In a Skyforged Dream (4:45)
9. Remembrance Day (5:10)
10. My Heart Will Go On (3:24)
(Total: 52:51)

(source: https://music.apple.com/album/1471445986)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:26 AM »
Hmmm....didn't really dig that song.  Was hoping they would go in more of a darker sound like At the Edge of the World.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »
Cosmic Power of the Infinite Shred Machine

Is that song about this:

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »
Fred is out of the band now. It's a glorious day. The sun is shining and the birds are singing

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2019, 06:19:29 AM »
Well... this doesn't bode well for the future of the band, considering he wrote most of RII (including The Edge of the World). :|

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2019, 06:28:21 AM »
Eh they'll be fine. Fred doesn't even like power metal. Good riddance I say

EDIT: And now some YouTuber named Stevie T is replacing Fred on tour. That might actually, somehow, be worse than Fred. That's it, I'm washing my hands of this band. I'm tapping out right now. Done.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:23:08 AM by Kattelox »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2019, 09:38:23 AM »
Stevie T is great his YT amazing good and funny, he is also an amazing guitarist, so watch out for him.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2019, 09:53:05 AM »
Stevie T is great his YT amazing good and funny, he is also an amazing guitarist, so watch out for him.

I dunno, man. I don't get it. I went and watched some of his videos and... he's just so irritating. He's got a musical talent that's for sure, but man is he annoying. Hopefully he's just touring and not ending up as the replacement, otherwise I might actually wish for Fred to come back.  :lol I have a theory that this is the  beginning of the end of Dragonforce but only time will tell.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
Annoying is one word for it.  But if he's just playing bass, he's not going to be talking right?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
Annoying is one word for it.  But if he's just playing bass, he's not going to be talking right?

Pretty much. Although it's odd because Fred did the live growls/screams that added a little extreme fluorish to their music, so unless ol' Stevie T has some secret vocal chops, he'll just be on the bass.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
"Frédéric said: "I had an amazing opportunity that will be announced soon"

So what bigger band than DF are missing a bassist atm, anyone?  :biggrin:

Wait what, so the YT guy that jokingly said he wanted to play triangle in DF are actually joinging them?  :lol

I'm not sure what's real anymore!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
New video on Herman's Twitch channel... at the 1 hour mark. Can I just say how odd it feels to have looked up to this guy as a big inspiration when I was younger, only to now see him standing and calling out donations and subscribers to random people on Twitch? Feels kind of yuck

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472690455 (it'll be on YouTube tomorrow)

I've never liked Fred's songwriting and this reeks of Fred, but I do like the chorus and the use of layers. Actually pretty good, although I don't care for the rest of the song. The tonal clash between the story part of the video, the visuals of the band playing, and the song itself is confusing the hell out of me. But I've never gotten used to Marc's voice and I find him more annoying than ever.

The album leaked, too. That's all I'll say.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:49:35 PM by Kattelox »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »
Frederic is the best thing to ever happen to Dragonforce. That's all I'll say.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »
Frederic is the best thing to ever happen to Dragonforce. That's all I'll say.

You are high as a fucking kite.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2019, 07:34:44 PM »
Oh that's right, must be tough to have an actual musician in the band instead of guys that play really really fast.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »
Because the other guys aren't actual musicians. And you act as if Dragonforce hasn't always been about speed anyway.  :rollin

Anyway, apparently there's a third music video in the works