Author Topic: The DragonForce Thread - Reaching Into Infinity out now!  (Read 16160 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
The DragonForce Thread - Reaching Into Infinity out now!
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
I’m aware that by posting this thread I risk being forever ostracized on these boards, but I’m genuinely curious: does anyone else here like DragonForce?  They have such a negative reputation among a lot of fan bases (read: all forums that are not explicitly dedicated to liking DragonForce) that I often feel like I’m the only one who enjoys listening to them.

Don’t get me wrong, I do understand some of the criticism they get.  I’ve seen the videos where one DragonForce solo flows into a solo from another song without any noticeable difference.  And I laugh at those videos, and I mock the band sometimes, because it is true: most DragonForce songs do tend to travel down the same road.  But for me, it’s a very fun road to travel down.  And I also think the band has more standout tracks than most people ever give them credit for.  I genuinely adore Disciples of Babylon, and I never hear anyone mention that song at all. 

In fact, I’d say the whole of Valley of the Damned is really a very good album.  And there are at least two or three songs from each other album that I really like, as well as scattered bits of musical awesomeness (for instance, Heartbreak Armageddon isn’t a song I really care about as a whole, but I love its intro). 

So I understand that the band isn’t one to be taken too seriously, and I understand they come across as cheesy a lot.  But at the end of the day, I still think that DragonForce’s music is just really fun. 

Anybody else like them? 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:13:48 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The DragonForce Thread v. Will anyone have anything positive to say?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Who's DragonForce?

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the more well known band, StudioForce, would you?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
Yes, I like Dragonforce (well, I enjoy them, but... yeah) though only the two first records are really worth to be listened in their entirity, imho. Valley of the Damned is fucking amazing (though the bonus track, Where Dragons Rule is a must), and Sonic Firestorm too, though there are some more weaknesses than on VotD.

My favourite tracks are Disciples of Babylon (especially that jazzy middle part), Where Dragons Rule, My Spirit Will Go On and Above the Winter Moonlight.

Who's DragonForce?

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the more well known band, StudioForce, would you?

You know what? I don't really care about that, tbh. I would never pay money to go and see them live anyway, and the music is music that I can enjoy, regardless of how speeded-up it has been.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
My favourite tracks are Disciples of Babylon

:metal :heart :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
Who's DragonForce?

You know what? I don't really care about that, tbh. I would never pay money to go and see them live anyway, and the music is music that I can enjoy, regardless of how speeded-up it has been.

I feel ya, I was only being halfway serious. I actually enjoy them as well, as far as power metal goes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
Love them. Kind of feel it's a shame that so many people missed their last album, they got rid of a LOT of the cliches that people hated on them for and made a pretty solid album of power metal. But that's what happens when most of your US audience is people who came to listen to you because of Guitar Hero.

Haters can suck it, I love DF.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
Love them. Kind of feel it's a shame that so many people missed their last album,

Are you referring to Ultra Beatdown or The Power Within?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jaq

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
The Power Within. For my money, more people could've missed Ultra Beatdown and I wouldn't have minded.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
Alright, just checking.  Yeah, Ultra Beatdown didn't leave the best taste in my mouth, either.  I was really skeptical about The Power Within, both because of UB before it, and because I always liked ZP Theart.  But it actually is a pretty good album overall. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jaq

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
They really need to do more songs like Cry Thunder and less of the "OMG fastest band ever" songs because WOW was that a good song or what? They also need to stay away from the seven-eight minute long songs with the four minutes of solos, because really, that went as far as it could with Inhuman Rampage. On Ultra Beatdown it just got silly.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
I'm actually on the fence about Cry Thunder.  Musically it's pretty cool, but it's also the one song on the album where I find myself not particularly liking the new vocalist.  Not sure why, exactly. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jaq

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
Well since I don't mind him I don't have that problem, and it doesn't hurt that it has perhaps one of the best choruses the band's ever written. Plus it lacks all that goofy speed and video game sounds crap they overdid on Ultra Beatdown, which is always a plus.  :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31052.msg1221983#msg1221983

Anyway i love Dragonforce and have been for a while! These clips always come to mind when speaking of DF:

DF cover.....wait for it!

Funny
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »
I dig Dragonforce. Saw Herman Li at the DT show in Anaheim two weeks ago. The show ended, and he and I were walking the same direction, and I looked at him and noticed him and he looked over at me, and I said "Looks like you better give up guitar man." and he was like "Fuck... I know." hahahaha.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »
I recently learned that Karl Groom of Threshold has produced a few of their albums. That's pretty cool.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 04:44:28 AM »
The new album is really, really good IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 04:44:22 AM »
Live At LoudPark:

Through the Fire and Flames
Holding On
Cry Thunder

Sounds pretty good for once! I hope they realise how furtunate they are to have Dave behind the drums.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 04:55:02 AM »
Saw Herman Li at the DT show in Anaheim two weeks ago. The show ended, and he and I were walking the same direction, and I looked at him and noticed him and he looked over at me, and I said "Looks like you better give up guitar man." and he was like "Fuck... I know." hahahaha.

I kind of dig some songs on their first album (Revelations, Disciples Of Babylon... that jazzy instrumental break :metal), and then I kind of dig their new singer but don't dig their latest album either so uhm... yeah I've got nothing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
I like DragonForce. I don't think they're a phenomenal band, but they're a lot of fun.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »
I'm looking forward to the new album coming soon, the last one was actually really good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:30 PM »
I need to try listening to DragonForce without being biased. What albums/songs do you guys recommend?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »
The first one or the most recent one, though I'd go with Valley of the Damned.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 02:23:29 AM »
I liked the first song I heard (the hit). Everything else sounded the same. My main gripe with them and Power Metal in general is the over-reliance on the bass drums going inhumanly fast the whole time. That's what bores me and makes everything same-y.

I do have the I Am I album from the singer when he left and that is so much better than DF for me.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
I need to try listening to DragonForce without being biased. What albums/songs do you guys recommend?

Valley of the Damned, Sonic Firestorm and The Power Within are their best three albums.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
I liked the first song I heard (the hit). Everything else sounded the same.

This, basically. When I was young I bought Inhuman Rampage because I heard the title track.  I listened to it a few times and then put it away forever, mostly because the whole album (minus that last track) sounded exactly like the first song.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
I liked the first song I heard (the hit). Everything else sounded the same.

This, basically. When I was young I bought Inhuman Rampage because I heard the title track.  I listened to it a few times and then put it away forever, mostly because the whole album (minus that last track) sounded exactly like the first song.

I did the same thing, except I ended up also buying the first two albums and found myself liking them a lot more. Not necessarily too different or anything, but there's stronger material on the older albums. The most recent album is also a bit more diverse too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
I'm trying to find evidence (live footage) of Dragonforce failing live, but so far I've been out of luck. Everything I found on youtube was at least halfway decent. Is there some infamous bootleg or live DVD that insiders usually refer to?
Now I don't mean to claim that they are any good, I don't doubt the general opinion that they suck live, I just want to see it for myself.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
^^Of course you always have this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aNr9wFk3RQ

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »
I'm trying to find evidence (live footage) of Dragonforce failing live, but so far I've been out of luck. Everything I found on youtube was at least halfway decent. Is there some infamous bootleg or live DVD that insiders usually refer to?
Now I don't mean to claim that they are any good, I don't doubt the general opinion that they suck live, I just want to see it for myself.

From what I understand, it was mostly just one tour where they had a lot of technical difficulties that gave them their bad reputation.  That's not to say that they're a great live band, because they certainly aren't, but I don't think they're nearly as bad as everyone thinks they are.  When I saw them, they were fine. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »
Apparently Jens Bogren will be mixing the next DF album.

https://www.fascinationstreet.se/blog/34-dragonforce-in-the-studio

I never had a problem with the sound on their previous recording, but as Jens is responsible for mixing some of my favorite albums, I'm rather looking forward to this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 09:04:36 PM »
I predict there will be the line, SO FAR AWAY in at least one of the songs on the new album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
I would refuse to listen to it if that weren't the case.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
Ultra Beatdown is an awesome album

They have an extremely skilled vocalist, drummer, and keyboardist.

That's pretty much all I can say.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
I never felt that they had a truly strong album, but rather some decent to great ones. Some of their songs are certainly awesome, but I can't listen to them continuously for too long anymore like I used to when I was super into fast playing. After a bit, it all becomes a little monotonous.

Though I will say, I still adore Revolution Deathsquad and Heartbreak Armageddon. They really need more moments like that mellow breakdown in the middle of the latter song.