Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 93161 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Awesome pick Wolf!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A couple more newer special mentions before bed;

Between the Buried and Me - Colors (2007)

Most of you know this.  Amazing technical death metal, one of the best of the genre, if not the best.  Amazing variety, musicianship, vocals, guitar, everything.  Perfect tech death metal record. 

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe (2008)

Amazing melodic death metal record.  Brilliant songs and amazing vocals from Christian.  Killer melodies and some really outstanding choruses.  Great solos and lots of variety within the songs.  Again, one of the best of this genre.

Pendragon - Pure (2008)

Only discovered this about a year ago but it's amazing.  One of the best neo prog albums I've ever heard.  Killer atmosphere, improved vocals for Nick, heavier sound, great guitars, and great songs, great package.

A couple more tomorrow then I'm definitely done.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. A couple more special mentions
« Reply #597 on: August 31, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
BTBAM- the vocals.  :facepalm:

Pendragon- Only have the Masquerade Overture which I liked. NOt dug it out in years though. Will have to put that right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #598 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »

Pendragon- Only have the Masquerade Overture which I liked. NOt dug it out in years though. Will have to put that right.

Pendragon is great.  Definitely give Pure a spin.

I'm with ya on BTBAM.  Musically ok.  Vocally I want to stick a ice-pick in my ears.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #599 on: August 31, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

Lowdz making a post expressing negativity toward growls...a truly unprecedented moment in DTF history.

*screencaps this post, prints it out, and places it in my rarities vault between Jimmy Hoffa's corpse and the Elephant Man's bones*
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #600 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »

Lowdz making a post expressing negativity toward growls...a truly unprecedented moment in DTF history.

*screencaps this post, prints it out, and places it in my rarities vault between Jimmy Hoffa's corpse and the Elephant Man's bones*

Sorry. Didn't realise an opinion had to be totally original to be valid here.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #601 on: August 31, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »
Colors is nothing short of amazing, great pick, even though it's not in the actual top 50.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DT.net Member
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »

Not so much that but the facepalm seemed pompously dismissive of it and the dude actually sings traditional style quite a bit as well if you'd care to check it out.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »

Not so much that but the facepalm seemed pompously dismissive of it and the dude actually sings traditional style quite a bit as well if you'd care to check it out.

Oh I have. I wasn't being pompous or dismissive- it was an expression of my disappointment because I would probably enjoy this band if the vocals were more within my taste zone. Should probably have just written that.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: August 31, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
Colors is the one of the best albums I've ever heard. I love the vocals.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #605 on: August 31, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Colors is the one of the best albums I've ever heard. I love the vocals.

Yeah, same. It's kind of funny, since it's the only BTBAM album I can listen to in full and it's a top 20 album for me. Their other albums I can't manage to get through for some reason.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: August 31, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
I guess I knew that Lowdz and Jingle wouldn't like Colors, but I admit, when I first listened to it, I found it quite monotonous and overwhelming, even for me who loves growls.  I needed to put it down and keep coming back to it in small doses.  From there it grew into an absolute monster and a true masterpiece.  You need time to realise how amazing this cd actually is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #607 on: August 31, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
It's the growls. I just can't get past it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
Don't like growls either

• DT.net Member
« Reply #609 on: August 31, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »
I'm more of a roars and shrieks kinda gal myself.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #610 on: September 01, 2012, 01:26:57 AM »
I'm even more particular with death metal vocalists than I am with regular vocalists, and Scar Symmetry are one of the few bands of the genre I really like. Great album. :tup
This might be blasphemy, but I think I still slightly prefer The Unseen Empire though. The old vocalist is miles better, but I slightly prefer the growls of the new guy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #611 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »
I guess I knew that Lowdz and Jingle wouldn't like Colors, but I admit, when I first listened to it, I found it quite monotonous and overwhelming, even for me who loves growls.  I needed to put it down and keep coming back to it in small doses.  From there it grew into an absolute monster and a true masterpiece.  You need time to realise how amazing this cd actually is.

The music is excellent. I just can't sit through the growly bit, or see it as another instrument. It's a shame too. I would really like them with the vocals toned down.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #612 on: September 01, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
cool list. bush in at 50 sure wasnt a big sign of things to come as...

That's a lot of metal.

FUCK YEAH!!   :metal

also:  :heart colors  :metal

• DT.net Member
« Reply #613 on: September 01, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
Just listened to Somewhere in Time for the first time ever last night. It definitely has the potential to overtake Seventh Son in my heart

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: September 01, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
I'm even more particular with death metal vocalists than I am with regular vocalists, and Scar Symmetry are one of the few bands of the genre I really like. Great album. :tup
This might be blasphemy, but I think I still slightly prefer The Unseen Empire though. The old vocalist is miles better, but I slightly prefer the growls of the new guy.

Unseen Empire was a good return from the band indeed, I liked it a hell of a lot.

Just listened to Somewhere in Time for the first time ever last night. It definitely has the potential to overtake Seventh Son in my heart

Wipes the floor with it IMO.

Sorry for the lateness, but a few more special mentions tonight.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Awesome number one! It's definitely a serious candidate for my #1 album too. :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: September 02, 2012, 02:30:42 AM »
Awesome number one! It's definitely a serious candidate for my #1 album too. :metal

Wow bro, cool to see someone appreciate it as much as I do.  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: September 03, 2012, 05:45:49 AM »
Wrapping this up.  More albums that could possibly enter my top 50 in the near future;

Masterplan - Aeronautics (2005)

Incredible sophomore album from Jorn, Roland and co.  Amazing, melodic power metal all the way through, great atmosphere and just simply a stunning album filled with terrific songs.

W.E.T. - W.E.T. (2009)

Stunning melodic rock from Jeff Scott Soto, Erik Martensson and Robert Sall.  Every song is a winner and a classic vibe with terrific songwriting.  Look forward to the follow up next year.

Star One - Victims of the Modern Age (2010)

This one was a grower.  I actually came back to this a few months ago and its really opened up to be an absolute masterpiece.  Great vocals obviously, and a heavier side of Arjen that we all would love to see more often.  Great prog metal.

Toby Hitchcock - Mercury's Down (2011)

Pride of Lions singers first album created fully by Erik Martensson.  Every song here is perfect and this is simply one of the greatest melodic rock albums I've ever heard.  Great production, solos, vocals, hooks, it has everything.

Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel the Power (2012)

Great mix of styles here.  80's glam, some growls, power metal, melodic rock, this was the biggest surprise of the year, and definitely will make top 3 of the year for me.  Again, the catchiness of this record is incredible and the hooks are some of the best I've ever heard.  Great mix of styles, unique sound, monster album.

Solution .45 - For Aeons Past (2010)

Top 5 melo death record of all time right here.  Former Scar Symmetry vocalist stunned everyone with this debut from his new outfit.  Amazing mix of vocal styles, killer production, great guitars and incredible hooks.  Killer

And the newest album that could possibly make my top 50 in the near future;

Eclipse - Bleed and Scream (2012)

Probably jumping the gun here, but wanted to mention this album.  I've only had this for about 5 days, but this is one of the greatest rock records I've ever heard.  Every song has an amazing sing along chorus and the production and musicianship here in incredible.  Erik Martensson has not run out of ideas after a busy couple of years and simply comes out with one of the greatest albums the melodic rock world has ever seen. 

Thanks again for all you guys following this list of mine, and look forward to tackling another one down the track.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out
« Reply #618 on: September 03, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
Haven't heard the new Eclipse yet - oh lord... there it is on Spotify.  *clicks play*

I think Solution .45 has growlie's?  i liked the one song that YBS used in Nem's roulette - Lethean Tears.

The rest... dynamite  VOTMA made my top 50, and continues to get spun.  Awesome album

For the others... it won't be the last we hear from them on Top 50 lists.   ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
Prepare to be amazing by Eclipse!!

Yeah, Solution .45 has growls, Tears is the only track on the album without growls.

I knew you'd like seeing Victims there.  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: September 03, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
Yeah... 7 tracks in on Eclipse, and it's awesome!

Dude... your inbox is full.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: September 03, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
Great job again with the list wolf!! I gotta check out eclipse if you're speaking so highly of it after only five days.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #622 on: September 03, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
Great additions there (except the growly one!  ;D).
The Eclipse is truly great as is the Blessed By A Broken Heart- even the shouty stuff doesn't take anything away from it. Both albums have great choruses and guitar playing.

Also had a listen to the Pendragon. Man they changed from the one album I have (TMO)! They certainly heavied it up and it sounds really good.

Great list Wolfie- enjoyed the write ups, even for the albums that aren't to my taste. A bit more variety on your list than mine.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Wolking you backwards Aussie Dingo-eater clean out your PM box  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
Inbox is cleared guys, sorry.

Great additions there (except the growly one!  ;D).
The Eclipse is truly great as is the Blessed By A Broken Heart- even the shouty stuff doesn't take anything away from it. Both albums have great choruses and guitar playing.

Also had a listen to the Pendragon. Man they changed from the one album I have (TMO)! They certainly heavied it up and it sounds really good.

Great list Wolfie- enjoyed the write ups, even for the albums that aren't to my taste. A bit more variety on your list than mine.

Thanks mate.  The last two Pendragon albums have been a lot heavier and darker than the rest of their albums.  A change for the band but in a good good way.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: September 03, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »
Omygodyes, Soulution .45!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: September 03, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »

Offline Ruba

Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. That's it....but tune in tomorrow!
« Reply #628 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
44.   James Labrie – Elements of Persuasion

I checked this out, much because I saw it on your list, and I liked it a lot. Alone, Freaks, Smashed, Pretender, Slightly Out of Reach and In Too Deep were friggin' awesome!  :metal :metal

For some reason I didn't liked Crucify much at all.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. That's it....but tune in tomorrow!
« Reply #629 on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »
44.   James Labrie – Elements of Persuasion

I checked this out, much because I saw it on your list, and I liked it a lot. Alone, Freaks, Smashed, Pretender, Slightly Out of Reach and In Too Deep were friggin' awesome!  :metal :metal

For some reason I didn't liked Crucify much at all.

Glad you liked it, it is a killer album.  :metal