Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 92707 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Just a stupid meme.

I know this, but what was the relevance of that in relation to my post? :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
You forgot a verb as well.
Also, Savatage is cool, maybe we'll Streets or Gutter Ballet later?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Oh, I completely the word 'see'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
And two more bands I haven't listened to
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Insanity and Persuasions
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
42. In Flames - Reroute to Remain (2002)
IMO, this is In Flames best work. 

Well, I respectfully disagree on that, but nice pick :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Cool list so far, and great to see Reroute to Remain in there, definitely one of IF's best!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
RtR is a pretty good album definitely the album that made them go big in the states and made them huge!

But for me Colony is my favourite In Flames album! If you haven't seen IF live i can highly recommend it, they often sound amazing live and with alot of pyro to top if of!  :metal

Edit: Nugget for those who didn't know: Peter Wildoer worked as drum tech for Daniel on Colony!  :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:02:02 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Dont know much about In Flames but Savatage rock like you wouldn't believe.  Nice to see them showing up on people's lists; hopefully more to come!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
RtR is a pretty good album definitely the album that made them go big in the states and made them huge!

But for me Colony is my favourite In Flames album! If you haven't seen IF live i can highly recommend it, they often sound amazing live and with alot of pyro to top if of!  :metal

Schweet, Colony is my favourite too! o/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BanksD

Nice to see RtR getting some love, even though I don't think it's as good as their work before it (Jester Race thought Clayman, haven't listened to Lunar Strain really) it will always have a place in my heart as one of the first metal albums I listened to, and I still love the title-track, Metaphor and Trigger quite a lot.

Overall a good pick :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I cannot do In Flames. Those vocals.. :yeahright
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I know it's a big call calling RTR their best work especially since the made mad Clayman, Colony and Whoarcle.  I guess it's just my fav from them so, I'm a little biased towards it.

Cool list so far, and great to see Reroute to Remain in there, definitely one of IF's best!

42. In Flames - Reroute to Remain (2002)

IMO, this is In Flames best work.

You're not alone on that

and Savatage  :tup  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal

Glad to see some of you agree!

I always wondered what would have happened if Criss were still alive, he was a great guitarist, one of my own inspirations.

Criss was one of my early inspirations as I guitarist too when I discovered Savatage.  His style, phrasing and sense of melody was just amazing.  I think the band would still be going strong if he were with us today.  He was definitely taken too soon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I really should give Savatage more of an effort.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Love Savatage, at least from Gutter ballet on. I find i tolerate Jon's vocals rather than love them though- sacriligious I know. I bought Gutter Ballet on release and worked forward in order. I found P&M to be a bit of a disappointment tbh, and it's years since I played it. Got the special edition box set of it. Will dig it out and have another go.
My tattoo has Silk & Steel as the motto in honour of Chris, though it's getting a bit unreadable now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I really should give Savatage more of an effort.

Yes you most definitely should.

My tattoo has Silk & Steel as the motto in honour of Chris, though it's getting a bit unreadable now.

That's incredible.  I'd love to see a pic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
40. Pain of Salvation - Scarsick (2007)

ib4 'lol music fail.'  I know people hate this album.  For a large selection of the fan base, this is where POS became stale and somewhat insignificant.  I applauded Nick for putting this in his list, and even know he copped it from everyone, I'm pleased to have it in my top 40 albums.  This is my favourite POS album, but it may be of interest that it was my first POS album.  I discovered this about 2 years ago when I was in a bit of a music rut.  I kept discovering bands but nothing had really grabbed me for a while, this changed everything.  After hearing so many good things about this band here on DTF, one day randomly when I was out looking at some cd's I picked this up and bought it without hearing a thing.  The cover hypnotized and scared me at the same time.  At first this was not what I expected, but the variety and experimentation grew on me and it was something that I got addicted to.  I was having a rough time with work and my relationship and this record just helped me, it was a bit of a safety blanket for me at times.  Every song has something to offer based on the variety and experimentation, and the musicianship even though not as technical as their earlier stuff is really tight and solid and everything is well produced and performed. 

Best tracks: Scarsick, Spitfall, Cribcaged, Disco Queen, Flame to the Moth, Enter Rain

Spitfall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlorPypVj4
Cribcaged - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xjF_QyeTMY

39. Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn (1988)

The sad thing about this album is hearing the incredible talent displayed and the simply unfair fate Jason Becker is living with.  This album is at the top of shred albums, you will not hear better shred than this.  Jason was simply in another league at this time.  After two great records with Marty, he released this album which is just a stunning technical display of guitar playing.  This is shred but shred filled with passion, melody and feeling.  Jason simply understood the guitar better than anyone else at the time.  After discovering Macalpine, I heard this and I have never looked at the guitar the same way.  Anyone remotely interested in guitar solos in any shape or form, needs to hear this album.  It's a shame Jason got ALS, he would still be at the top of the guitar mountain.

Best tracks - Pretty much all of them

Altitudes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFoSbjXB68
Eleven Blue Egyptians - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9igerT86g

Offline Lowdz

Haven't heard the PoS- only got Remedy Lane and didn't like it much.
The Jason Becker is an awesome statement of intent. A genius, and on top of his personal suffering (which he faces far more bravely than I ever could) mankind has been robbed of some great music with his illness.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni

39. Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn (1988)

The sad thing about this album is hearing the incredible talent displayed and the simply unfair fate Jason Becker is living with.  This album is at the top of shred albums, you will not hear better shred than this.  Jason was simply in another league at this time.  After two great records with Marty, he released this album which is just a stunning technical display of guitar playing.  This is shred but shred filled with passion, melody and feeling.  Jason simply understood the guitar better than anyone else at the time.  After discovering Macalpine, I heard this and I have never looked at the guitar the same way.  Anyone remotely interested in guitar solos in any shape or form, needs to hear this album.  It's a shame Jason got ALS, he would still be at the top of the guitar mountain.

Best tracks - Pretty much all of them

Altitudes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFoSbjXB68
Eleven Blue Egyptians - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9igerT86g

:hefdaddy   he is am amazing composer still is even with the ALS his dad built him a computer program that allows him to compose music through the movement of his eyes

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Not familiar with either album

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Scarsick is the only album I listen from PoS. Well placed.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I don't really like PoS, tbh, but Jason Becker is a genius. I love his solo work, though I actually prefer what he did with Friedman in Cacophony.

Offline senecadawg2

PoS has never done anything for me... Jason Becker on the other hand, is incredible.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My last update for about 36 hours;

38. Kotipelto - Coldness (2004)

I don't expect many people to know this one.  It's the second solo outing from Stratovarius singer Timo Kotipelto.  Being a huge Stratovarius fan at the time I was delighted when Timo came out with Waiting For The Dawn, a terrific power metal album.  With Coldness it is just straightforward, simple, melodic and well written music.  Timo sounds great and having Michael Romeo and Janne Warmen makes this album extra special again.  I love the simplistic nature of this record, and hearing Romeo in this zone, he plays incredibly, I wish he would do more stuff like this more often.  This is another album I just got addicted to playing and would be my winter album where I would bring it out every winter and it would fit the season so well, as the atmosphere of the record portrays the album title and lyrics so very well, terrific album.

Best tracks: Seeds of Sorrow, Coldness, Around, Journey Back, Coldness of My Mind

Reasons - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6UITOwSOmo
Seeds of Sorrow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFfNvgtGIys

37. The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre (1997)

Here is my favourite Offspring album, and one of the main album of my high school years.  Smash of course was mind blowing but Ixnay soon became my favourite.  This record showed a great mix of the well written funny side of the band as well as embarking in some unmarked territory with more mature writing.  The balance of songs worked so well and leveled the album out perfectly.  It contains some of Offsprings best songs, biggest hits and some of the rawest, hard rocking moments that we will ever see from the band again.  This is the perfect Offspring record.  Nothing bad to say here, great songs, great variety, well written cd.  Great punk.

Best tracks: The Meaning of Life, Mota, Cool to Hate, All I Want, Gone Away, Leave it Behind, Amazed

All I Want - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8OhI-OTHg
Amazed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVTlH3NOdaM

Offline Lowdz

Played Coldness a couple of days ago in the car and it's a great album.
The highest compliment I can pay it is my other half didn't say "what's this cheesy shit? Put something nice on".

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Ixnay is fucking fantastic. I just listened to Coldness though, and it's pretty bland, imho. Standard, run-of-the-mill power metal. Not that it's bad, but it wouldn't make my list, or even close to my list.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I know Coldness quite well actually, but I'm surprised to see it here as I never found it very interesting at all. If anything I preferred his first album. Overly cheesy, but it has some really fun and catchy stuff.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Scarsick is a top5 '07 AOTY for me.
Scarsick is also a perfect example of how to essentially eliminate the guitar solo from one's style and still create awesome music (St.Anger, i'm looking at you).

Jason Becker is an artist i need to check out. i used to be pretty into the guitar hero thing and still regularly (to varying degrees) spin vai, macalpine, and friedman.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:42:38 AM by pain of occupation »

Offline senecadawg2

hmm... punk rock.

BTW, I appreciate how you always give links to a couple songs! It has been very helpful, for bands I haven't heard.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Scarsick is amazing!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Kotipelto is a good singer but his solo stuff has never interested me much. I actually liked Waiting for the Dawn, Coldness is just ok but nothing special and Serenity only had a few good songs. It's no wonder most Stratovarius songs were composed by Tolkki and now by Matias, Jens and Lauri.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Played Coldness a couple of days ago in the car and it's a great album.
The highest compliment I can pay it is my other half didn't say "what's this cheesy shit? Put something nice on".

:lol I agree. You know when you are on to something when your other half doesn't have some sarcastic comment.  Good to see you know that one also.

Ixnay is fucking fantastic. I just listened to Coldness though, and it's pretty bland, imho. Standard, run-of-the-mill power metal. Not that it's bad, but it wouldn't make my list, or even close to my list.

One of the main reasons I like it is because of how simple the album is.  To some people they may classify it as bland, I know the reviews have always been mixed on the album, just have always loved it myself.

I know Coldness quite well actually, but I'm surprised to see it here as I never found it very interesting at all. If anything I preferred his first album. Overly cheesy, but it has some really fun and catchy stuff.

WFTD is an excellent power metal album.  I think Coldness has more consistency and less filler, but WFTD probably has more standout tracks.

Scarsick is a top5 '07 AOTY for me.
Scarsick is also a perfect example of how to essentially eliminate the guitar solo from one's style and still create awesome music (St.Anger, i'm looking at you).

Jason Becker is an artist i need to check out. i used to be pretty into the guitar hero thing and still regularly (to varying degrees) spin vai, macalpine, and friedman.

Defintitely check PB if you are into guitar heros.  And yes Scarsick  :metal

hmm... punk rock.

BTW, I appreciate how you always give links to a couple songs! It has been very helpful, for bands I haven't heard.

No worries, I thought it may help.  I'm not a big punk rock fan normally but Ixnay is something special.

Scarsick is amazing!

:metal

Kotipelto is a good singer but his solo stuff has never interested me much. I actually liked Waiting for the Dawn, Coldness is just ok but nothing special and Serenity only had a few good songs. It's no wonder most Stratovarius songs were composed by Tolkki and now by Matias, Jens and Lauri.

Serenity was a let down IMO.  It was okay, but the first three songs were the strongest and it just dropped off after that.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
When you said "Obscure pick" I had something else completely different in mind - namely that obscure picked the album for you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
36. Gamma Ray - Powerplant (1999)

Gamma Ray IMO, are the definitive band when it comes to power metal, and Powerplant could be the definitive power metal album.  This is classic.  It's melodic, very cheesy, fast paced, ripping solos, soaring vocals, boombastic, cheese fest lyrics and some complex yet well thought out song structures.  Every song on this album really shines and a special mention to the amazing Pet Shop Boys cover of its a sin.  Kai Hansen and the boys deliver a terrific album filled with some nice variety in the songs and just an overall kick ass power metal album. This album had incredible lasting power and got so many spins from me.  Power metal heads should already own this.

Best tracks - Anywhere in the Galaxy, Razorblade Sigh, Send Me A Sign, Strangers in the Night, Gardens of the Sinner, Armageddon, It's A Sin

Anywhere in the Galaxy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cbnes-Q9ZE
Gardens of the Sinner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wDig7BQM9c

35. Last Tribe - The Uncrowned (2003)

Here's a virtually unknown melodic power metal band.  Magnus Karlsson is the mastermind behind this band.  Some of you may know him from the Allen/Lande projects and currently in Primal Fear, plus many, many other projects and guest apperances.  Magnus is pretty much the king of melodic rock, and has been for quite a few years.  This was his first real musical output.  His was in a band called Midnight Sun, but was just a guitarist, Last Tribe is his first real idea and creation of his amazing brand of melodic power metal.  I have been hooked on this album since about 2005 and I still listen to it regulary.  It is simply some of the best melodic power metal ever created.  Every song has a chorus that is just gold, brilliant melodies, a stunning rhythm section, great vocals and flawless melodic guitar playing.  It may interest some of you that the bass player is Dick Lovgren from Meshuggah.  I have many great memories of good times meeting my current girlfriend around the same time as discovering this band, so there is a strong nostalgic connection also.  But simply, this album is stunning and anyone remotely into power metal should check it out, it's simply incredible.

Best tracks - Healer, Sacrifice, The Otherworld, The Uncrowned, Sound of Rain, Call of the Tribe

Healer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUije2FW-i0
The Uncrowned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kxQckq9-g

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Fuck yeah Gamma Ray! The Pet Shop Boys cover is phenomenal, like nearly every track on the album.  :metal :metal

Haven't heard Last Tribe, but they sound pretty cool. I'll give them a spin.