Poll

Should Joe Paterno's statue be taken down at Penn State?

Yes
70 (75.3%)
No
23 (24.7%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: October 05, 2013, 09:17:12 AM

Author Topic: Should Joe Paterno's statue be taken down at Penn State?  (Read 22145 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Should Joe Paterno's statue be taken down at Penn State?
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
kingshmegland is hitting it out of the park here.  And that sucks that you witnessed something like that, man, but kudos for doing the right thing.

Then it seems you are comparing your situation to Mike McQuerry as he was the one who witnesses the crime and ran away instead of stopping it, not Joe Paterno.  And in fact, Joe reported this to the head of campus police who was not a uniform officer, but none the less was a man in power of the police and the campus police at PSU are real police FYI.  People can say he didn't do enough or morally should have done more and that may or may not be true, but he did fulfill his legal olbligation.

I am sorry, but that is an awful defense.  This isn't about what his legal obligation was.

Thanks Kev.  You do what's right as an adult for children.  The kid id still messed up to this day but knows I will do whatever it takes to help him.  He lives with us now.  This legal BS kills me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
Then it seems you are comparing your situation to Mike McQuerry as he was the one who witnesses the crime and ran away instead of stopping it, not Joe Paterno.  And in fact, Joe reported this to the head of campus police who was not a uniform officer, but none the less was a man in power of the police and the campus police at PSU are real police FYI.  People can say he didn't do enough or morally should have done more and that may or may not be true, but he did fulfill his legal olbligation.

Paterno should have kicked and screamed until someone did something about it. We need to have higher expectations for each other than simply fulfilling our legal obligations.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
kings, good for you, man. :)

Sadly, far too many people in life do not what the right thing to do is.  So, Joe Paterno was not alone in that regard, but considering the power he had, he was in position to really do something about it, and it makes his failure to do so that much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2016, 06:09:46 AM »
It now looks very possible that Paterno knew about this as far as back as 1976. :eek :eek :eek :eek

:tdwn :town to him and anyone still defending him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »
And now Penn St. is going to honor Paterno?  What an embarrassment that university is.  Yeah, honor a scumbag who turned a blind eye to kids getting abused. :censored :censored :censored

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »
And now Penn St. is going to honor Paterno?  What an embarrassment that university is.  Yeah, honor a scumbag who turned a blind eye to kids getting abused. :censored :censored :censored

It's insane.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
I heard that news. It makes no sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2016, 06:19:37 AM »
Ugghghh.  Just as I was starting to warm towards PSU again.  Unfortunately there seems to be a portion of the fan base (with wealthy boosters being over-represented) that can't handle that their hero actually wasn't a very good guy, and so just stick their fingers in their ears and keep worshiping him.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »
Yep, it sounds like Penn St. fans, by and large, fully support the decision to honor, which shows they still have their heads buried in the sand (or up their own asses).  Hero worship of a guy who enabled a pedophile sure is admirable. :tdwn :tdwn