Which album do you like better?

Awake
121 (79.6%)
Falling Into Infinity
25 (16.4%)
I like/dislike them both equally
6 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Awake vs. Falling Into Infinity  (Read 5932 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Awake vs. Falling Into Infinity
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »
FII is great, but Awake is better.  Awake has nothing but killer song after killer song - no weak spots at all - while FII has You Not Me.  I rest my case. :hat

this. well, except for I like YNM

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 06:16:01 AM »
6:00 vs New Millennium
Caught In A Web vs Hollow Years
Innocence Faded vs Peruvian Skies
Erotomania/Voices/The Silent Man vs Burning My Soul/Hells Kitchen/Lines in The Sand
The Mirror vs Take Away My Pain
Lie vs Just Let Me Breathe
Scarred vs Trial of Tears
Space Dye Vest vs Anna Lee

Awake wins 9-2.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »
Awake easily is my favorite but I also love FII. It's a great album where Derek is the one who shines. FII is to Derek as ADTOE is to Jordan. I rather enjoyed the numerous (and still do) hipster movements against it where it was panned as "too commercial" or "too many short songs" or "sell out" or "its the producers fault". All in all, whether it really is commercian, a sell out, there are too many short songs or the producer ruined it, I don't care. It's a fantastic album, period.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 07:06:28 AM »
Awake, no doubt about that.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 07:08:56 AM »
i really like FII, but i would never vote against my favorite DT album

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »
Lines In The Sand, bros... Lines In The Sand.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
Both are completely different experiences. When I listen to Awake, I'm listening to an album, whereas when I listen to Falling into Infinity, I'm listening to a bunch of good songs. I hope that makes sense. It probably doesn't. :lol

Anyhow, if I had to pick, I'd pick Awake.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »
Well, the song vs. song thing is an interesting way of doing it.  Of course, it doesn't take into account how much more someone likes one song over another.  But what the heck?  I'll play.

6:00 VS New Millenium - Tough choice.  This one is close to even.
Caught In A Web VS You Not Me - This one is also close, but that's because I don't like either one very much.
Innocence Faded VS  Peruvian Skies - Easy choice.
Erotomania VS Hollow Years - Not close.
Voices VS Burning My Soul - Same
The Silent Man VS Hell's Kitchen - Again, I don't like either one.
The Mirror VS Lines In The Sand - This is HARD!  Both are amazing.
Lie VS Take Away My Pain - Same.  Rrrrgh!
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream VS  Just Let Me Breathe
Scarred VS Anna Lee - I like Anna Lee, but no contest here.
Space-Dye Vest VS Trial Of Tears - Lightyears apart

Interesting.  Just by the way the matchups played out, it is 5-6 in favor of FII.  But Awake still wins by far.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
Consistently decent vs. Amazing with a few crap parts

Both are fairly close for me but I feel like I've just been appreciating Falling Into Infinity more and more. Nothing on Awake comes close to stuff like Trial Of Tears and Lines In The Sands, I really like a lot of the other stuff on FII and I don't absolutely hate any of the weaker songs on it. Awake is very good overall but even then there are songs that, while I don't consider them as my least favourite from FII, have never really appealled to me anywhere near as much as they seem to to people on this board seem. 6:00 and Lifting Shadows Off A Dream would both be down near the very bottom of my DT rankings.

So yeah, going to go with FII, although it's fairly close.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
I picked FII. Awake has that horrible triggered snare that is like nails on a chalk-board. I can only listen to one or two songs at a time before I have to stop.  Also, Awake has more songs in general that I would skip (actually, 6:00 and Erotomania are the only ones I really like).  FII has a few I skip (You not me, Hollow Years, Take Away My Pain, Anna Lee), but there are still more that I like than on Awake.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
6:00 vs New Millennium - Easy choice, NM is one of my favorite songs.
Caught in a Web vs You Not Me - Both aren't very good, but YNM has the edge here.
Innocence Faded vs Peruvian Skies - IF is one of my least favorites of theirs, and PS is pretty rockin'.
Erotomania vs Hollow Years - HY is a classic DT ballad, Erotomania is a solid instrumental. But I'm more inclined to listen to HY these days.
Voices vs Burning My Soul - Voices is Awake's best song, and BMS is not awful but doesn't hold a candle to Voices.
The Silent Man vs Hell's Kitchen - HK is my favorite DT instrumental, TSM is not bad though.
The Mirror vs Lines In The Sand - I never really got TM. LITS baby.
Lie vs Take Away My Pain - TAMP is slightly more interesting to listen to these days, but it's very close.
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream vs Just Let Me Breathe - JLMB is not bad but LSOAD is one of their best ballads.
Scarred vs Anna Lee - AL is very forgettable, but Scarred is, well, Scarred.
Space-Dye Vest vs Trial Of Tears - S-DV is amazing, but TOT is, well, TOT.

Awake - 3
FII - 8

So yeah, FII. It would win by an even wider margin if I matched the songs up according to quality (e.g. Scarred vs Trial of Tears).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »
Well, since all the cool people are doing this now, I might as well join in:

6:00 vs. New Millenium - 6:00 is one of the weaker songs on Awake, but I don't like New Millenium at all.
Caught in a Web vs. You Not Me - Same as above.
Innocence Faded vs. Peruvian Skies - Peruvian Skies is one of the first DT tunes that I ever got into, whereas Innocence Faded is, like the two songs preceding it, some of the weakest stuff on Awake.
Erotomania vs. Hollow Years - This was a tough one. The L@B version of HY would absolutely slay Erotomania, but even the studio version wins by a hair.
Voices vs. Burning My Soul - Voices is one of my Top 10 songs, whereas BMS is only a fun song (though not as bad as many pepole make it out to be).
The Silent Man vs. Hell's Kitchen - Hell's Kitchen is orgasmic, whereas The Silent Man is just plain good.
The Mirror vs. Lines in the Sand - Again, a tough one, as both are some of my favourite DT tunes. However, LITS gets the edge here, though the live version of The Mirror would probably win this one.
Lie vs. Take Away My Pain - While the demo version of TAMP would probably win this one, the studio version is pretty forgettable, whereas Lie is pretty badass and features some of JP's best guitar work.
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream vs. Just Let Me Breathe - Easy. LSOAD is a beautiful ballad, whereas JLMB is Bottom 10 material for me.
Scarred vs. Anna Lee - While both are very good songs, it's not really a contest.
Space-Dye Vest vs. Trial of Tears - Trial of Tears is my second favourite DT song (and my favourite on certain days), so I'll go with this one, even though I absolutely love SDV as well.

That's 6 to Awake and 5 to Falling Into Infinity, I'm okay with that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
I'm not cool, so I'm not doing the track-by-tack breakdown.

It's really, really close... so close that I can't decide.  :facepalm:
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
Awake.
Both have less than awesome songs but Awake has 6.00, Voices, SM, LSOAD, Lie, The Mirror, SDV and the last 2 minutes of CIAW.
I do like FII though, just not as much.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
Man this is a tough one... both are in my top 5 DT albums......  Awake takes it though.

6:00 VS New Millenium - The nod goes to 6:00 seeing it was the first DT song I ever heard
Caught In A Web VS You Not Me - Hear this.... I LOVE YNM!!!!!!!! :metal  Love the lyrics
Innocence Faded VS  Peruvian Skies - This one was very close
Erotomania VS Hollow Years - never been a HY's fan, except for live  :tup
Voices VS Burning My Soul - ummm....no contest
The Silent Man VS Hell's Kitchen - Hells Kitchen for the win!
The Mirror VS Lines In The Sand - Love The Mirror, but LItS is by far better
Lie VS Take Away My Pain - Lie by a mile
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream VS  Just Let Me Breathe - Easy choice here
Scarred VS Anna Lee - LOVE Scarred!!!  Anna Lee is my least fav. DT song......period.
Space-Dye Vest VS Trial Of Tears  Still love SDV, but TOT is just outstanding

Offline Ruba

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 06:19:30 AM »
Awake. I adore FII also.

The Letter M, that's an interesting way to compare these two. I try it also.

6:00 VS New Millenium - Very different songs here. Rock vs prog, hmmm... I'll go with 6:00, but this gave some food for thought.
Caught In A Web VS You Not Me - Even though You Not Me is good, Caught in a Web is just better. It has more character with its darkness and heaviness.
Innocence Faded VS Peruvian Skies - Two of my top ten songs... really bitch one, but IF wins. The second verse is the best DT verse ever.
Erotomania VS Hollow Years - I like them both, but I'm not really into instrumental music and Hollow Years is very beautiful.
Voices VS Burning My Soul - Voices has grown on me, but the overall badassness of Burning My Soul is enough to win.
The Silent Man VS Hell's Kitchen - Gaaah! Not again. Hell's Kitchen is such an uplifting piece of music, but this one was the hardest yet.
The Mirror VS Lines In The Sand - Lines in the Sand is my second favourite DT song after ITPOE, so it wins. It has my favourite DT guitar solo and my second favourite guitar solo ever. The Mirror is awesome though, the heaviest DT song IMO.
Lie VS Take Away My Pain - TAMP is meh, so Lie wins. How much I like Lie, it depends on the day. I think it has the hit potential of Pull Me Under. TAMP with the sax is much better.
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream VS Just Let Me Breathe - JLMB is good, but LSOAD is maybe the best DT ballad.
Scarred VS Anna Lee - Anna Lee is massively underrated, but Scarred is better.
Space-Dye Vest VS Trial Of Tears - Fuck. SDV with a little marginal. Trial of Tears has a great guitar solo, but Kevin Moore's goodbye is more emotional.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »
I might be in the minority, but FII had hands down the best production of any DT record. Awake is very good, but FII slays it.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
I might be in the minority, but FII had hands down the best production of any DT record. Awake is very good, but FII slays it.

I'd agree, but I don't judge an album based on its production. Otherwise Images and Words would be pretty low for me.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

Change 'FII' to 'Awake' in those sentences and vice versa and that's how I feel about the two.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 09:24:17 PM »
Awake. It's at my #5 spot, inbetween 8V at #4 and I&W at #6. FII is my #9, above BCSL and WDADU. It has great moments, but the stress from the record company and Desmond Child's contributions brought it down a LOT.

Favourite songs on Awake are easily The Mirror, Voices, Scarred, and Space-Dye Vest, but every song is great. Least favourite is Innocence Faded, but still a great rocker.

FII, on the other hand, has Trial of Tears, which is my #2 DT song of all time, which is surprising considering the album's low rank, but it's their least consistent album by far. NM is decent, followed by the cheesy YNM, followed by the great PS, followed by an okay HY, and then BMS, which is a cool song in its own right. And then comes HK which is epic from beginning to end, leading into LITS, a great song, the only spot on the album where two great songs are next to eachother. Afterwards it's a similar pattern until the end.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »

I think most people agree that at the very least, FII has amazing production. I'd probably have to agree it's the best in that regard. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
I recall in one of the interviews with JP he said the production for FII was done in an archaic way...like...not computers I guess?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
I recall in one of the interviews with JP he said the production for FII was done in an archaic way...like...not computers I guess?

Correct. It was recorded analog to tape. It's shown/mentioned on 5YIALT. Every album since has been recorded digitally (that I know of).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »

Correct. It was recorded analog to tape. It's shown/mentioned on 5YIALT. Every album since has been recorded digitally (that I know of).

My friend has recorded an album that way recently, just as an experiment. He kept going on and on about how great it sounded. I kinda wish they still recorded that way. The vinyls pressed from an analog recording would probably sound so much nicer.

Offline Fourth Horseman

• I know all about the honor of god, Mary Jane.
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »
Awake because I don't really like New Millennium, You Not Me, Take Away My Pain, and Burning My Soul. I do think Hell's Kitchen/Lines In the Sand is the best song on either of those albums though   :metal

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 03:02:37 AM »
I've always thought that FII was very underrated, I think it brings great balance to DT's catalogue as a whole.
But......Awake is a masterpiece full stop ! So yeah Awake, but its an unfair comparison because for me, with the exception of I&W and SFAM, everything else pales in comparison.

Offline krands85

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
Although FII has probably the best 2 tracks of both albums in ToT and LitS (just ahead of Voices), it's far too inconsistent for my liking. Plus Awake has the sheer  :omg:  of early JLB.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
Song-by-song comparisons are more fun than illustrative. But I'll play.

6:00 VS New Millenium – NM is my least favorite opener
Caught In A Web  VS You Not Me - Easy
Innocence Faded  VS Peruvian Skies – Not easy
Erotomania VS Hollow Years – Push. Both solid tracks, but middle of the road on their respective albums
Voices VS Burning My Soul – Voices is a top 10’er
The Silent Man VS Hell's Kitchen – Push. Comparisons with instrumentals is hard
The Mirror  VS Lines In The Sand
Lie  VS Take Away My Pain
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream VS Just Let Me Breathe
Scarred VS Anna Lee – as someone said “Anna Lee is massively underrated, but Scarred is better.”
Space-Dye Vest VS Trial Of Tears – Two great songs. One is just a little greater.

8-1-2 in favor of Awake. Song-by-song ratings aside, I love Awake. I have since I first heard it, and I always will, start to finish. I never thought FII was very good, from the first time I heard it back in 1997(?)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
These two albums have some of DT's strongest songs in their entire career. When you look at LSOAD, 6:00, AMBI, then NM, PS, LITS, ToT...really hard call. I'd have to say Awake for songs and atmosphere, FII for experimentation and production. The production tops anything they've ever done. One of the greatest albums to listen to on headphones, right up there with Night At The Opera and Revolver.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 03:17:25 AM »
track by track? ok let's play.

6:00 vs New Millenium -   Never got into 6:00 for some reason  :-\  except for the drum work....
Caught In A Web vs You Not Me -  Love both songs but CIAW!!!!!! Hot damn.... never can get enugh of it.. masterpiece! I mean MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Innocence Faded vs Peruvian Skies -   yes.. FII gets this one for sure in relative terms... Innocence Faded is not a bad song though.. doesn't ruin the awesome flow of the album...
Erotomania vs Hollow Years -    Easily...
Voices vs Burning My Soul -   Easily...
The Silent Man vs Hell's Kitchen -   both are relatively meh....
The Mirror vs Lines In The Sand   Both great tracks... but have to go with The Mirror as it has ruled my world since day 1 .... friggin awesome!!!
Lie vs Take Away My Pain -    love both .. but "The Mirror - Lie" back to back is one of the biggest presents DT has ever given to me....  sigh!
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream vs Just Let Me Breathe   -   mmm there are times that I might vote the other way around though...
Scarred vs Anna Lee  -    I mean... do I have to say anything here?
Space-Dye Vest vs Trial Of Tears  -   again.. goes without saying... FII's priceless gem... wouldn't think for a millisecond...

self observations:
#1 ok.. it's 5-6 after all ... not that much of a difference at first glance... but under close scrutiny... I can't compare my love for the ones I picked from Awake over the ones from FII to my love of vice versa.. what? I mean the scale is different there. the only exception being the legendary Trial Of Tears...

#2 it's incredibly similar to bosk's... almost identical.. except for The Mirror....  it's a love affair that's gonna last forever!!!!

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:47 AM »
I don't see why people compare the tracks from the two albums in order. The way The Letter M did it made a lot more sense (Although I would've separated AMBI and just kept all the tracks separate for the purpose of the comparison), since it compares the songs by the relative tone they convey, or the relative 'type' of DT song each one is, whether it's heavier songs, or ballads, or longer, more progressive songs. Comparing Lie to Take Away My Pain doesn't really make sense, because people who prefer heavier stuff will naturally choose Lie, whereas people who prefer more melodic ballad stuff will choose My Pain. It would really make more sense to say, "Which album's heavy song is better?" etc. So comparing Take Away My Pain to Lifting Shadows would make more sense, because then even a person who mainly likes the DT ballads, will have to choose between the better ballad. Or Burning My Soul and The Mirror or Lie, they're heavy songs, so to say, "Well, I like DT's heavier stuff, but I prefer The Mirror to Burning My Soul" makes more sense, I think.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 04:25:58 AM »
mmm... fair point.. using Marc's match-ups then...

6:00 VS Just Let Me Breathe
Innocence Faded VS Hollow Years
Caught In A Web VS Peruvian Skies
Erotomania/Voices/The Silent Man VS Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen/Lines In The Sand
The Mirror VS New Millennium
Lie VS You Not Me
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream VS Take Away My Pain
Scarred VS Trial Of Tears whoa tough one!
Space-Dye Vest VS Anna Lee

it turns out I like them equally  :lol

well of course.. there are other criteria to assess an album.. the flow for instance..  the atmosphere, the tone..
so a holistic approach gives a better idea in my book.. 

I might prefer FII for one-off listens.. but I adore Awake from start to finish....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 04:58:10 AM »
FII by a small margin. Can't tell you why.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »
FII, definitely.

6:00 VS Just Let Me Breathe
Innocence Faded VS Hollow Years
Caught In A Web VS Peruvian Skies
Erotomania/Voices/The Silent Man VS Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen/Lines In The Sand
The Mirror VS New Millennium
Lie VS You Not Me
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream VS Take Away My Pain
Scarred VS Trial Of Tears
Space-Dye Vest VS Anna Lee

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 05:09:59 AM »
Flying Into Infinity, are we?   :laugh: