Author Topic: What shaving product do you use? aka The DTF Metrosexual Thread  (Read 3833 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: What shaving product do you use? aka The DTF Metrosexual Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
I would agree with that, except that when you basically have steel wool for facial hair, and single blades don't give you a close shave, you have to make some decisions.  The way I see it, I can either (1) have my face raped by having to make half a dozen passes with a single blade safety razor, or (2) have my wallet raped by Gillette.  Tough choice, but I'll go with #2 to get a decent multi-blade that gets the job done.
Did you try more than one brand of blade?  Believe me that they're not all made equal.  You ever have a professional give you a shave?  There's really no reason why you can't do pretty close to what he does/did with a single blade.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
Did you try more than one brand of blade?  Believe me that they're not all made equal. 

No, I didn't.  Can't remember what brand I used, but it was whatever the PX sold (back during my military days).  Can you recommend a few decent ones?  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

You ever have a professional give you a shave?  There's really no reason why you can't do pretty close to what he does/did with a single blade.

No, I never have.  Even though it probably shouldn't, the prospect of having a stranger having a razor around my throat completely freaks me out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
If I didn't get the blades I get for free, I'd probably be using the $.50 ea disposables  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
If I didn't get the blades I get for free, I'd probably be using the $.50 ea disposables  :lol

My face just erupted in irritation bumps just from reading your post.  Eesh!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
I grow hair slowly, so I just shave once or twice a week with Gilette Sensor Excel with facial cleanser.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »
Did you try more than one brand of blade?  Believe me that they're not all made equal. 

No, I didn't.  Can't remember what brand I used, but it was whatever the PX sold (back during my military days).  Can you recommend a few decent ones?  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Stepping in a bit here, Wilkinson Sword blades are often considered some of the most accessible DE blades because they are very sharp but also very forgiving for less experienced shavers or those with sensitive skin. If you want some of the sharpest blades around, go for Feather. They are made in Japan and, while risky if you cut skin easily, will make unbelievably short work of almost any beard.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
I use the generic CVS shave cream currently. I switched to the 5 blade razors last time I shopped, like nearly a year ago, and I'm still on the first box. Those things last an eternity. I tend to only shave once a week.

I used to use Lectric Shave but used regular 3 bladed razors because electric razors never seemed to get close enough. I also trim my beard with the same buzzer I shave my head with.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

My face just erupted in irritation bumps just from reading your post.  Eesh!  :lol

My neck is with you.  Disposables kill me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

It's one of those things where if you ask 50 different people you'll get 50 different answers (and probably more).  The Sharks are pretty serious razors, definitely not forgiving, but damned effective.  I've also got a pack of the Personnas (Israeli) which are good.  My brother seems to think very highly of Japanese and Israeli blades (go figure).  I do recall that Derby and Dorco blades were both terrible. 

My suggestion would be to hit a place like West Coast Shaving and buy a bunch of single 5-packs for $2 each to see what works for you. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
I think some people incorrectly equate the horror of disposable single blade razors with the blades that go in safety DE razors. In reality, the blades you can use in DE razors are incredibly sharp and effective, while those in disposable razors are more like rusted sheet metal.

www.royalshave.com offers blade variety packs so you can decide for yourself what blades you like. I agree with the Japanese blade love; Feathers are damn near the sharpest things on the planet for safety razors. I started with Wilkinsons and then moved to Feathers.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
Nope.  I'm talking about the crappy plastic one's you can throw away.  I've never tried the fancy ones you and El Barto have talked about.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »
For my face, I've got Fusion.  Only buy it at Costco, and only when I get the Executive Member $7 off coupon.  16 cartridges for $35 I think.  I stock up twice a year.  As for the cream, again, whatever Costco has... currently edge.

For the noggin, I use the Head Blade and Head Lube.  The blade is a Gillette Atra (double)

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
Chad, any nicks on your head with that beast of a razor?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
Never.  It slips over your finger like a referee's whistle.  Way easier than a handle.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
Cool.  When I had the chemo I had to have my wife shave my head with my Gillette razor.  I though it was damn tough to shave your head by yourself.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
I only use a beard trimmer, I have razors and shaving cream.

Saying that, I haven't shaved/trimmed in about 3 months.  I also haven't cut my hair for about 9 months.  All my co-workers are starting to say shit like "Hey who let that hobo in here" when I walk in.  :rollin  The more they joke like that, the longer I'm not going to trim anything.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
Cool.  When I had the chemo I had to have my wife shave my head with my Gillette razor.  I though it was damn tough to shave your head by yourself.
I shaved my head for about three months with a Schick Quattro. You definitely have to get the hang of it, but after a week or two it's not bad. I couldn't stand the constant maintenance, though. I only need to shave my face a couple times a week to look reasonably well-groomed, so having to shave my head a minimum of every other day seemed like a whole lot of work for me.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
I use a Fusion Power with Nivea gel. I don't really grow that much facial hair, but for some reason I have a terribly hard time getting a close shave and not cutting myself.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »
I use a Fusion Power with Nivea gel. I don't really grow that much facial hair, but for some reason I have a terribly hard time getting a close shave and not cutting myself.

Yeah, same for the second part.  I'm not at the right age to grow it out very fully, so it comes in dumb little patches that are a real pain to get rid of. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
Nope.  I'm talking about the crappy plastic one's you can throw away.  I've never tried the fancy ones you and El Barto have talked about.

I didn't mean you were confusing the razors, but rather thinking the single blade disposables had the same sharpness as DE razors. All good.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
found a pic of hyperplex

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Just a can of Edge and a Gillette razor with Old Spice moisturizer for after. And a trimmer for my sideburns, which I need to clean up at my next haircut.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »
Gilette Fusion + Barbasol cream.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »
So I've given up on the Jack Black Beard Lube stuff — when using a DE blade, you need the foam of a real cream. I got a tub of Omega Shaving Cream and used my brush; best shave ever. I've also switch to Anthony Logistics aftershave balm and it's remarkable how much better my skin feels after a shave.