Author Topic: What shaving product do you use? aka The DTF Metrosexual Thread  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
(Yeah, I care about my appearance and use moisturizer and do more than hack at my face while shaving — I am a metrosexual.  :biggrin:)

Like most guys, I used to swear by the many-bladed disposable cartridges like the Mach 3 and now the Gillette Fusion and store-bought shaving foams in a can, but in recent years I have grown to look into the finer products in shaving, like brushes, high quality creams and essential oil after shaves. I currently use Jack Black (not the actor, a non-affiliated company) Beard Lube, which is a non-foaming pre-shave lubricant and shaving cream in one and The Art of Shaving unscented aftershave balm or gel, and both are unbelievable products, albeit a bit more expensive than store brand creams, etc. However, I was still using a Fusion razor (well, cartridges with an Edwin Jagger razor handle given to me as a gift).

The other day, while getting my hair cut, I had my guy shape up my sideburns and he used a shavette (basically a straight razor but instead of a solid steel blade, it has a plastic sleeve that holds half a standard safety razor blade) and recommended I get one myself to maintain precise areas like that. Well, I did, and I have to say, even just shaping it up, it was the cleanest, easiest shave I've ever had. On a bit of a whim, I purchased a safety razor and some blades. I will never use another cartridge razor again! Easiest, cleanest, most comfortable shave ever.

So, now, what shaving products do you use? Are you a metro? ;)
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: What shaving product do you use? aka The DTF Metrosexual Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:38 AM »
and

and

Am I metro?

I'm gonna say yes and no. most of the time, I'll just roll out of bed and go to class, but the second that I start liking a girl in one of my classes then I suddenly become obsessed with my appearance and spend a good 35 minutes getting ready in the morning.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
I'm actually kidding with the whole metro deal. Nowadays it is a lot more common for men to care about their appearance, and I think the term is better used humorously than seriously. I take care of my face and care about how I present myself at work and in public, for the most part. I don't think using the most expensive products makes one either better or more "metro." Personally I like trying things and seeing what works the best for me; whatever works best for you is usually the best choice you can make.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
and

and

Am I metro?

I'm gonna say yes and no. most of the time, I'll just roll out of bed and go to class, but the second that I start liking a girl in one of my classes then I suddenly become obsessed with my appearance and spend a good 35 minutes getting ready in the morning.
Wow, same exact razor and shaving cream I use. I only shave my neck. I keep a short beard.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
Barbasol. Because they're fucking American and CHEAP.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
Gillette shaving cream and the Gillette blades, not the disposable ones but the ones you change the head for every two shaves.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »
Barbasol. Because they're fucking American and CHEAP.

$1.65 baby. Its the cheapest thing in the cart when I go grocery shopping.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »
Wow, it's barely over a dollar where I live.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
I now have an Edwin Jagger double-edge safety razor ($37 one time purchase) and I use Feather blades ($6.95 for a pack of 10 and they last 8-12 shaves each). Beats the everloving shit out of the Gillette cartridges that cost upwards of $14 for a pack of 4.

As for the cream and aftershave, I have found I prefer paying a little more for a product that takes better care of my face and feels better.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »
Wow, it's barely over a dollar where I live.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
Generally, the cream is more important than the blade.  It's generally recommended that if you're going to improve your shaving situation incrementally, you begin with a brush and a good soap or two, and upgrade from the cartridge razors later.  Simply put, good lubrication/crappy blade is much better than awesome blade/poor lubrication.

My brother turned metrosexual years ago, and collects all of the fine shaving apparatus he can get his hands on.  He tends to pass down lots of it to me.  I've got shave soaps I haven't even tried yet.  My personal preference is for Proraso, which is an Italian shave soap with lots of menthol and eucalyptus.  He recently gave me a tub of Art of Shaving soap which is actually great quality, but smells fairly crappy.

As for the razor, I'm using a Gillette adjustable, gold plated "fat boy,"  opened all the way to 9.  Haven't settled on blades yet.  Still experimenting with hand me downs.  Been using Sharks for a bit, and they're working alright.

If I use a balm afterward, I use the Proraso cream.  Alcohol free and silky smooth.

edit: oh, and as people who've met me will attest, I'm the furthest thing from metrosexual.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »
I love the Jack Black stuff I have, but I've been curious about trying the Proraso cream.

This is my razor:

And this is the shavette I mentioned in the OP:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
I've got a similar razor (the safety razor), but I don't use it.  My brother gave me about 7 to find one I liked.  Each gives a very different shave.  The two things about the adjustable that I use are that A: it opens at the top so you can clean it easily.  I often go quite a while without shaving, so it's common that I'll have to clean it after every pass.  Having to remove the top piece would be a PITA.  B: the adjustable part of it actually changes the blade's angle of attack.  It's a way of fine-tuning the angle of the blade to fit your technique in how you hold the thing.  You can easily change it to a different setting between shaving your cheeks and under your chin, for example. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »
Totally; I looked at a couple butterfly razors when I bought mine and while I loved the ease of changing blades, I preferred the fewer moving parts to have to clean overall. Also, I'm not that keen on an adjustable razor; purely personal preference.

And the shavette is fucking perfect for shaping and tuning specific areas, like my sideburns and edges of my goatee. It offers the same sharpness of the single blade but gives a bit more sight and control.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
Mach 3 and Gillette cream, and I have an electric for the mornings I gotta get it done quick.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:30 AM »
:tup Only way to be.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:14:23 AM »
I can never seem the shave the fuzz on the corners above my lip on either side. Any suggestions?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:02 AM »
That shit annoys me too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »
No cream at all unless I have to suit up.  Otherwise piping hot water and my Gillette Fusion with the battery for the vibration.  That's it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
After an earlier version of this thread several years ago, I tried some more expensive supposedly "higher end" stuff from Art of Shaving.  Honestly, I noticed no difference whatsoever (other than the fact that using a brush and shaving soap simply made shaving take LONGER).  I hate shaving with a passion because it's just annoying and time consuming, but necessary.  As far as razors, that is one area where I HAVE seen marked differences.  I had an adjustable years ago, but found I got a better shave and was able to go a bit quicker with a Mach 3.  I eventually upgraded to a Fusion after awhile.  I always thought that having that many blades was just ridiculous.  But then I tried it, and noticed a marked difference.  However, I went back to Mach 3 just because the Mach 3 disposables are so much cheaper than Fusion blades.  Haven't really found anything else that made a difference.  If there is something out there that would really make a marked difference, I'm all ears.  But my experience is that, for the most part, differences are miniscule, if any, and not justified by the marked increase in cost and/or time consumption.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
I use the gilette razor, whatever the latest is, i have an art of shaving beaver brush and i use their sandlewood soap, works out well overall.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »
I can never seem the shave the fuzz on the corners above my lip on either side. Any suggestions?

lather up and shave with the grain, don't push too hard. Rinse off with hot water, re-lather again and shave across or against the grain. If it still isn't getting cut, try a newer blade. There's no reason why the hair shouldn't cut right off this way.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
After an earlier version of this thread several years ago, I tried some more expensive supposedly "higher end" stuff from Art of Shaving.  Honestly, I noticed no difference whatsoever (other than the fact that using a brush and shaving soap simply made shaving take LONGER).  I hate shaving with a passion because it's just annoying and time consuming, but necessary.  As far as razors, that is one area where I HAVE seen marked differences.  I had an adjustable years ago, but found I got a better shave and was able to go a bit quicker with a Mach 3.  I eventually upgraded to a Fusion after awhile.  I always thought that having that many blades was just ridiculous.  But then I tried it, and noticed a marked difference.  However, I went back to Mach 3 just because the Mach 3 disposables are so much cheaper than Fusion blades.  Haven't really found anything else that made a difference.  If there is something out there that would really make a marked difference, I'm all ears.  But my experience is that, for the most part, differences are miniscule, if any, and not justified by the marked increase in cost and/or time consumption.

Like I said, it's all down to personal preference. I have noticed for myself, the higher end creams and aftershaves do make my skin feel better but it's very personal.

I've heard many people swear off cartridge razors forever after shaving with a safety razor. I do agree that straight razors, with the honing, stropping and skill required, are better left for barbers and the true affiçionados. The blades on a safety razor tend to be much sharper and, therefore, cut better, though cartridges are more forgiving. To each his own, definitely.

Also, there are brushless options for shaving creams that still have the essential oils and such in them that protect your skin and afford a smoother shave if it's something one would like to try. Jack Black makes what I use and I know Proraso makes a new brushless shave gel as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
I use Edge Gel and Mach 3.  I don't care enough about shaving to try much of anything else.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
I use Edge Gel and Mach 3.  I don't care enough about shaving to try much of anything else.

Costco?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
I'm far too lazy to shave entirely, so I just have a beard trimmer that I use once a week or so and then shave the neckbeard with a Gillette fusion razor and shaving gel. The company I used to work for designed and manufactured the molds that make all the handles and heads for the Fusion razors, so I got a bunch of freebies just sitting around.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
Relevant

I just use cheap shaving foam and a regular razor. Works wonders, though I manage to cut myself at least once every three times I shave. I mostly leave some kind of beard though for a couple of days, way too lazy to shave every day.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
No cream at all unless I have to suit up.  Otherwise piping hot water and my Gillette Fusion with the battery for the vibration.  That's it.

No cream here either but some soap or body wash  to lather
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
My cousin is one of only 7 people in the world who knows how to fix the machines that make the track III razor blades at the Gillette factory here in Boston.  Consequently, I haven't paid for a razor blade in over a decade. 

For lubrication, I prefer gel to foam:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
My cousin is one of only 7 people in the world who knows how to fix the machines that make the track III razor blades at the Gillette factory here in Boston.  Consequently, I haven't paid for a razor blade in over a decade. 
Interesting.  It wouldn't surprise me if the skill was one of those trade secret things designed to maintain their status.  Like the formula for Coke or KFC. 

Personally, Gillette is a big part of the reason I moved to safety razors.  If a freaking blade actually cost $3 to make, then so be it.  It doesn't.  They're just like printer ink, and that's some bullshit I won't participate in.  Either my boss pays for ink, or I pay the Kinkos a block away 4¢ for theirs.  Likewise, 120 Shark Super blades cost $15, and are immeasurably better than anything Schick or Gillette could ever make.  I don't like spending money on inferior products because the manufacturers all conspire to force me to.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29:24 PM »
I would agree with that, except that when you basically have steel wool for facial hair, and single blades don't give you a close shave, you have to make some decisions.  The way I see it, I can either (1) have my face raped by having to make half a dozen passes with a single blade safety razor, or (2) have my wallet raped by Gillette.  Tough choice, but I'll go with #2 to get a decent multi-blade that gets the job done.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
I wax.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
Mach 3 and Gillette cream, and I have an electric for the mornings I gotta get it done quick.
This. Used to have an electric one for the same thing, but it irritated my skin too much so I got rid of it.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.