Author Topic: [Music] Pyramid Theorem -Pyramid Theorem  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
[Music] Pyramid Theorem -Pyramid Theorem
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Band: Pyramid Theorem
Album: Pyramid Theorem
Year: 2012
Genre:Progressive Metal
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Theorem/dp/B008GSFAX0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1342054562&sr=1-2&keywords=pyramid+theorem

So, I've listened to the album 3 times now:

Musically, I think its very impressive and that's coming from someone who has become extremely jaded toward Prog and Prog Metal.

My fundamental issue with the album is that the vocal melodies are underutilized or not used at all. The sound of the album feels somewhat inspired by Dream Theater and Rush, but where those bands succeed is the balance between vocals and music. The two are woven together to create something greater then the sum of its parts. Its like this album doesn't know if it wants to be instrumental or vocals/music and that really hurts it.

With The Olde Knew that singer pops up at the 2 minute mark, sings something that doesn't really mesh with song and then disappears completely after like only 60 seconds and then the song goes on about its business. Overall The vocal portion was inconsequential to the song. The same thing can be said about forever in chains. Again the music is incredible though.

The one song which I feel successfully blends vocals and music is Another Day Slips by. I think that song really nails what I was looking for and I kind of wish the whole album followed that paradigm. Another Day slips by is my favorite track on the album, its the one that sticks in my mind and its the one I would let friends listen to if I was vouching for the band.

My other issue is with The Dream. At least 2 different times did I look down at the ipod to see how much of this thing was left to go. If a band is going to create an epic song then that song needs to leave me wanting more, not having me wonder when is it going to be over. Its needs to flow and connect seamlessly. The Dream has some great highlights, but I think the album would have been better with 3 individual tracks vs. one long 30 minute track.

so overall, its a pretty decent album, but the instrumental sections are disproportionate to the vocal sections. I do think this band has a lot of potential though and will be following their future work.

4 out of 5

Offline johnnysuperfan

Re: [Music] Pyramid Theorem -Pyramid Theorem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »
Thank you Phoenix87x  for taking the time in listening and checking them out, it means a lot to the guys in the band. I like your review and respect your opinions.

The vocals themselves have improved at this point even there is a long way to go in that regard. What I do like is that the vocals are spread more throughout the band rather than just one vocalist in the past. They will admit themselves they are not the greatest of singers. Of course all of that will come with more experience. On this album there isn't a single thing I would change, but that's me, haha.

I'm glad in how you feel about the future potential of this band. Not everyone will like the music they create, but all is good. Again, thanks to you and everyone else here for looking into Pyramid Theorem :tup