Author Topic: I figured out exactly what it is that makes Awake one of my least favorites...  (Read 18224 times)

Offline Ħ

It's the keyboard tones!

Seriously - the music is well-written, all the musicians including James are on fire, mixing and production are great (save for awkward transition cuts in Voices and Space-Dye Vest). But you know what? Kevin's choice of tones for the keyboard parts are just awful. Here's a couple examples that come to mind:

- the wobbly strings in Caught In A Web
- the weak, thin strings in Scarred's outro
- the whiny synth sound in Lie's chorus
- the sustenance-lacking grand piano in Space-Dye Vest

But they're all over the place. Honestly, it's Awake's version of the triggered snare. Other than that, Awake is pretty darn good! But (and nothing to say of his present talent) Kevin just had an awful ear in 1993.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: I figured out exactly what it is about Awake that bugs me...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
ahh the scarred outro is so good. love that patch

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
Nah.  There's nothing wrong with it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
But they're all over the place. Honestly, it's Awake's version of the triggered snare. Other than that, Awake is pretty darn good! But (and nothing to say of his present talent) Kevin just had an awful keyboard in 1993.

Fixed. :P
Aside from the piano sound, that was probably about the best synths sounded in 1994. I actually like the synth string sound, especially the "wobbly" strings in CIAW. I too hate the keyboard sound in Lie, but aside from that, I have no problem with the sounds. Not a lot of variety of sounds on the album, but the few sounds he uses, I like.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Nah.  There's nothing wrong with it.

This. Awake is Dream Theater's best sounding album as a whole.
Most notably JP's guitar tone never got as good as on Awake.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
The Scarred solo is one of the best moments on the album. I don't hear anything wrong with the other keyboard parts either. Or the 'triggered snare' of Images and Words. It's one of many things that make that album one of DT's finest.

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
Also, JP's songwriting was at it's peak.  The lyrics on that record are great for a Dream Theater album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Is this the bizarro world thread?  ???

Offline Ħ

Er, yeah, I explicitly said that everything else about the album was great (which includes the lyrics, JP's tone, JP's playing, etc.).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Er, yeah, I explicitly said that everything else about the album was great (which includes the lyrics, JP's tone, JP's playing, etc.).

I know, I just wanted to state my love for Awake once again :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

Honestly, I totally agree with you, insofar as to say that that's exactly what turned me off when I first started listening to the album. But over time it really grew on me. I think it just gives the album a completely different kind of vibe, and LaBrie's vocals reflect it very well.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
And I'm reiterating why I think the whole record is great.  Keyboard tones are fine.  I've never thought anything other than that.

Offline 54_diplomats

Nah Awake is perfect, especially the keyboards.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Kevin has stated once that, though he doesn't really like the way Awake is produced, he likes the way the production reflected on his keyboard sound and that he liked all those sounds. So he'd like a word with you. I'll dig up the interview from The Mooreatorium when I find the time.
(I finally did that "X would like a word with you" thing, and I got Kevin Moore into it. DTF got a hold of my soul.)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I was never particularly attracted to KM's keyboard sounds, but they don't sound especially objectionable on Awake either.  In my view, Awake's main problems come from its songwriting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It's the keyboard tones!

Seriously - the music is well-written, all the musicians including James are on fire, mixing and production are great (save for awkward transition cuts in Voices and Space-Dye Vest). But you know what? Kevin's choice of tones for the keyboard parts are just awful. Here's a couple examples that come to mind:

But they're all over the place. Honestly, it's Awake's version of the triggered snare. Other than that, Awake is pretty darn good! But (and nothing to say of his present talent) Kevin just had an awful ear in 1993.

I could not agree more (except that Awake is not one of my least favorites--it's actually right about in the middle for me).  In some places, it's fine.  But there are a few, such as on CIAW, that I just can't get past and it ultimately ruins the song for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
What's with the parody threads lately?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Aside from the piano sound, that was probably about the best synths sounded in 1994. I actually like the synth string sound, especially the "wobbly" strings in CIAW.

:metal

Also, Blob defending Awake on something means the attack is probably invalid. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

rumborak

This isn't a parody thread. ???

Offline commanderbob

The Awake keyboards sound magnificent.  That is all.

Offline Ħ

(Most of) You guys are weird.

Offline olliemedsy

The Key patches are so awesome! Awake is one of DT's best albums when it comes to keyboard patches

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I don't mean to sound ageist by saying this but it could have something to do with the fact that you were only 2 or 3 when this came out so it's a lot easier for stuff from the early 90s to sound weird/lame/dated/(insert whatever negative adjective that would best describe your overall dissatisfaction with the keyboard issues you mentioned) whereas those of us that grew up on the stuff are well aware that the keyboard patches were very up to date and well-executed fot its era.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline commanderbob

(Most of) You guys are weird.

Thank you.

I think most of you Symbol-Name-People are weird.

Offline Ħ

I don't mean to sound ageist by saying this but it could have something to do with the fact that you were only 2 or 3 when this came out so it's a lot easier for stuff from the early 90s to sound weird/lame/dated/(insert whatever negative adjective that would best describe your overall dissatisfaction with the keyboard issues you mentioned) whereas those of us that grew up on the stuff are well aware that the keyboard patches were very up to date and well-executed fot its era.
Nah man, that has nothing to do with it. Most of my favorite music is from the 90's.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

rumborak

rumby, I wish it was :(

H is young, someday he will understand why Awake is better than Boyfriend.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Don't talk shit about KM. He used to live very close to me no joke. (I'm from turkey.) He was sort of a silent man. ( :lol) One nice memory of mine was seeing him in a record store. (He bought some Jethro Tull albums) I didnt talk to him or anything but it WAS him. 100% sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Well, I'm older than YOU, and I mostly agree with H.  I love Awake as an album.  But as I said above, I agree with him that some of the keyboard sounds on this album are really offputting to me as well.  On most songs, it isn't that big an issue, but on a few like CIAW, I just can't stand it.

Don't talk shit about KM.

Nobody in this thread is.  They are talking about his keyboard patches, which is perfectly fair game.  Please don't tell people what they can and can't say on this forum if you plan on being able to stick around here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?

I'm hip to this - I was... 24 when Awake was released, and it sounded well within its time back in 1994.  Actually better, as Images and Words and Awake blew my 20-something self away.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
I don't think I've ever heard a Dream Theater keyboard patch I significantly disliked.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
I don't think I've ever heard a Dream Theater keyboard patch I significantly disliked.

This. Even in the dueling solos that get annoying, I've liked all of them.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I actually don't have a problem with the synths for the most part. My problem with Awake is that most of the songs are just awkward as fuck to listen to. All the vocal melodies sound out of place, the riffs are awkward, and nothing on the album seems to mesh with anything else. It's probably my least favorite DT album overall.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My problem with Awake is that I've never been able to shake the first impression that it gave me. After I&W, I knew the next album would have a hard time living up, but the first 3 songs I heard on Awake were just such a complete letdown. For years, I started Awake at Erotomania.
Now I've grown to love Innocence Faded, but I can definitely still live without 6:00 and CIAW. The Mirror and Lie as well.
Awake contains 2 of my Top 5 DT tracks, Scarred (#3) and Space Dye Vest (#5) and I rank it as my #4 or #5 DT album.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:40:10 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
@Brother H: No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com