Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61581 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2017, 12:28:45 PM »
I do love that lush keyboard sound that the album features a lot.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »
Is the new album better than for the journey?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »
Just finished my first spin.  In response to Kaos... yes.  Pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Glynn's sound here.  Musically, it's distinctively Threshold.  Production sounds absolutely fabulous.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
Just finished my first spin.  In response to Kaos... yes.  Pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Glynn's sound here.  Musically, it's distinctively Threshold.  Production sounds absolutely fabulous.

Yeah, this. I've listened twice now. Really like it. Glynn does a great job and he's new to me.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Cool, I was VERY disappointed in For the Journey after the amazing March of Progress. I'll pick this up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
Cool, I was VERY disappointed in For the Journey after the amazing March of Progress. I'll pick this up.

FTJ had it's ups and downs.  There's a couple of gems in there, but yeah... overall it was a letdown.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #321 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:49 PM »
I gave thorough listen today to the new album. Its solid, but its an album that I'm only going to break out it out every once and awhile versus the other albums which I can break out anytime, listen to a few tracks and go about my day.

But the one thing I will say, is I really feel like Glenn's voice was the right fit for the music of this album. As much as I love Damien, I think this was the right choice.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
Still waiting for my pre-order to arrive!  I noticed that the CoverKiller Nation dude gave the album a 29/30, with a chance to jump to 30/30 with repeated listens, he said.  I'm itching to listen, but will wait until my discs arrive.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »
Put in a bunch of solid listens over the last two days and I LOVE this album. Only one weak track. This is easily my album of the year so far.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
I've only heard a few tracks so far, but Small Dark Lines is among my favourite songs of the year.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
Spin #2 today.  Fantastic.  Some repeated melodies and techniques from past albums, but overall this is excellent.  Jumping to the top-tier of my AOTY rankings for sure.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Where are you guys ranking it amongst the band's past albums?  Up there with the best?  Middle of the pack?  Too early to tell?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: September 14, 2017, 01:41:29 PM »
Where are you guys ranking it amongst the band's past albums?  Up there with the best?  Middle of the pack?  Too early to tell?

This.  But I have a suspicion it will be up near the top.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #328 on: September 14, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
I've only heard a few tracks so far, but Small Dark Lines is among my favourite songs of the year.

This.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #329 on: September 14, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »

Its definitely up there. It may rise higher with repeated listens

Ranking in Tiers:

Tier 1:   Hypothetical, Subsurface, March of progress, Extinct instinct

Tier 2:  Legends of the shire, Critical mass

Tier 2.5: Dead reckoning

Tier 3: Wounded land, Psychadelicatesseen, For the journey, clone

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »
Listened to it and I like it. Great production, vocals are on point, and there is plenty of variety. My problem with For the Journey was that it felt more of the same and a tad uninspired (though it did grow on me significantly since release), this one immediately feels inspired and grabs my attention.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »

Its definitely up there. It may rise higher with repeated listens

Ranking in Tiers:

Tier 1:   Hypothetical, Subsurface, March of progress, Extinct instinct

Tier 2:  Legends of the shire, Critical mass

Tier 2.5: Dead reckoning

Tier 3: Wounded land, Psychadelicatesseen, For the journey, clone

Hard to argue with any of that.

Listened to it and I like it. Great production, vocals are on point, and there is plenty of variety. My problem with For the Journey was that it felt more of the same and a tad uninspired (though it did grow on me significantly since release), this one immediately feels inspired and grabs my attention.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
For Me

Tier 1:   Hypothetical, March of progress, Legends of the Shire, Dead Reckoning

Tier 2:  Clone, Critical mass, Subsurface

Tier 3: Wounded land, Psychadelicatesseen, Extinct instinct

Tier 4: For the Journey

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #333 on: September 15, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
My Threshold journey reached Clone today... and as I loved Wounded Land, Psychodelicatessen and Extinct Instinct from the first time, I totally hated Clone.... I hardly listened to it in it's entirety. Vocals are very weak, I hope McDermott performances are better on upcoming albums because if it's not it will be hard to listen to it for me.. Songs are not bad, but something is missing and I just don't feel that vibe they had with three first albums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
My Threshold journey reached Clone today... and as I loved Wounded Land, Psychodelicatessen and Extinct Instinct from the first time, I totally hated Clone.... I hardly listened to it in it's entirety. Vocals are very weak, I hope McDermott performances are better on upcoming albums because if it's not it will be hard to listen to it for me.. Songs are not bad, but something is missing and I just don't feel that vibe they had with three first albums.

Clone is only Mac era album that I could never get in to. The rest are pretty great. I can't wait to see what you think of Hypothetical. Its got some kick ass tracks

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2017, 04:23:15 AM »
I finished listen through Hypothetical just now and I must say I'm very satysfied. Mac vocal is not so annoying as on Clone, he sounds sometimes here like Hansi from Blind Guardian. I also heard some Yes influences here and there ;) sum it up, very good solid record. My favourites - Long Way Home, Oceanbound and Light And Space. Critical Mass is next.  :metal

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
If we are putting albums into tiers, upon first thoughts, here's mine:

Tier 1 - Hypothetical

Tier 2 - Subsurface, March of Progress, Legends of the Shire

Tier 3 - Critical Mass, Dead Reckoning, For the Journey

Tier 4 - Clone, Psychedelicatessen

Tier 5 - Wounded Land, Extinct Instinct

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #337 on: September 16, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
I only got into Threshold with March of Progress. I checked them out because I loved Damian Wilson's voice in his work with Aryeon. I'm disappointed that he's no longer in Threshold, but have ordered Legends of the Shire and am looking forward to it based on what I've heard so far. I plan to plunge into the Threshold back catalog too, and have also ordered Critical Mass.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
I only got into Threshold with March of Progress. I checked them out because I loved Damian Wilson's voice in his work with Aryeon. I'm disappointed that he's no longer in Threshold, but have ordered Legends of the Shire and am looking forward to it based on what I've heard so far. I plan to plunge into the Threshold back catalog too, and have also ordered Critical Mass.
From what I've heard from Threshold for now (Wounded Land, Psychodelicatessen, Extinct Instinct, Clone, Hypothetical) I prefer Glenn's vocal or Damian's over Mat's. Damian and Gleen have tremendous vocals. Mat's vocal is more generic for me, but it doesn't mean bad. I'm happy that Glenn returned to put vocals on Legends Of Shrine, can't wait to hear it!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »
From what I've heard from Threshold for now (Wounded Land, Psychodelicatessen, Extinct Instinct, Clone, Hypothetical) I prefer Glenn's vocal or Damian's over Mat's. Damian and Gleen have tremendous vocals. Mat's vocal is more generic for me, but it doesn't mean bad. I'm happy that Glenn returned to put vocals on Legends Of Shrine, can't wait to hear it!

I think the reason I didn't get into Threshold sooner is because when I sampled stuff from The Mac-era I found them to be a bit generic, as you said. I'm going to see how I like Critical Mass before delving into the rest of the back catalogue.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #340 on: September 16, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »

I think the reason I didn't get into Threshold sooner is because when I sampled stuff from The Mac-era I found them to be a bit generic, as you said. I'm going to see how I like Critical Mass before delving into the rest of the back catalogue.
You should try Hypothetical also, great album. But don't try Clone if You are already awared of Mat's vocals  ;D

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #341 on: September 16, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »

You should try Hypothetical also, great album. But don't try Clone if You are already awared of Mat's vocals  ;D

Thanks. After reading through this thread I've concluded that Hypothetical is the album I should have started with. Will probably be my next purchase.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
Hypothetical is the album that hooked me and was also my first.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »
New album has been growing on me A LOT. Might become might favorite album this year.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »
I've yet to receive my pre-order from the record label.  Ridiculous!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »
I think that Swallowed is crazy beautiful. Anyone know what its about?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »
I too love that song but have no idea what it's about. Honestly I don't really know what most of the album is about other than the high level growing older and changing topic.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »
I'm on a Threshold binge right now. I've heard the three most recent albums already but I decided to check out their older stuff - like Critical Mass and Hypothetical. I like what I'm hearing :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
Zydar try Wounded Land and Psychodelicatesen, very very good albums, practicaly zero bad tracks. And Glenns's voice on Psychodelicatessen is very impressive :metal

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
So, I went through Critical Mass and Subsurface in past two days. The first one was awesome, but Subsurface didn't clicked for me. Only Mission Profile and Ground Control are the songs that I remember. And what happened with the guitar souns on that one? At least Mat is giving very solid vocal performance. I'm looking forward to next albums. For now, it was a very pleasant journey. My ranking from what I've heard:

1. Psychodelicatessen
2. Wounded Land
3. Extinct Instinct
4. Hypothetical
5. Critical Mass
6. Subsurface
7. Clone