Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61843 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »
Damian Wilson is out - sounds like he got the boot from the band.

Glyn Morgan is back and , seeing as I'm one of the few about who really rates Psychedelicatessen , I am not too upset at a bit of a change.   
While I am actually shocked by this news (completely out of the blue), I'm like you - to me this is a change for the better. I've been a fan of Threshold since around the time that Psychedelicatessen was released (got both albums at the same time) and Glynn's vocals have always been my favorite. I was very disappointed when he left and they brought Damian back for Extinct Instinct. Mac was an improvement, but I've always preferred Glynn's. Plus I think Glynn brought more of a heavy edge to Threshold's sound - IMO none of their albums since have come close to sounding like Psychedelicatessen and I attribute that largely to Glynn's influence.

Damn, feel bad for Damian. I hope Headspace really takes off. Both of their albums are stunning.

I'm actually shocked why Threshold decided to kick Damian out. The tour has been announced and the album is/was almost pretty much done.  From a business stand point, it doesn't make sense just kicking Damian out.  Also, it's not like Threshold is everybody's full time gig. Richard and Karl do a lot of recording/producing and mixing on the side in their studio. Something is not right here.
Agreed. While I'm thrilled Glynn is back, this dramatic turn of events (haha!) strikes me as very strange, especially given that Damian was fired and didn't leave of his own volition. I too feel bad for the man and wonder what must have happened to have driven Karl and Richard to make this move, especially at this particular moment.

Definitely curious to see what they'll do regarding the new album - go with what they've already got, record Glynn's vocals (like what Quiet Riot is apparently doing on their new album), or maybe even re-record/change parts of the album as Anthrax did for their Worship Music album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
I think its been about 10 years since I listened to Psychedelicatessen. I think its time to dig it out and re-evaluate. I just remember it being more strait forward heavy metal-ish vs. prog metal which is why I lost interest in it. But I might as well get back in to it, since that's the voice of band again. Which I still can't get over this wacky turn of events. Just wild

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »
It's crazy - I just was looking at the Wikipedia page on Threshold and didn't realize that Pete Morten left the band last month. Not that he probably would affect the sound as much as the vocalist change, but still it's another line up change and surprise. From what their website says, it doesn't look like they'll bother looking for a new guitarist to replace him probably until tour time in the autumn.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
I think its been about 10 years since I listened to Psychedelicatessen. I think its time to dig it out and re-evaluate. I just remember it being more strait forward heavy metal-ish vs. prog metal which is why I lost interest in it. But I might as well get back in to it, since that's the voice of band again. Which I still can't get over this wacky turn of events. Just wild

Ditto...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
They should change their name to Mess-hold.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »
They should change their name to Mess-hold.
I can see why you'd say that Tim, but given that this band is not that big in terms of popularity, it's not the only source of income for them, just as is the same for Spock's Beard and a number of other bands. So if band members bail for one reason or another for another band or something more stable, it's understandable (which has typically been the case with band member changes in Threshold). Only this latest move in booting out Damian seems unexplained and strange.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »
Damian must be pissed off.  He has changed his name to D. Wilsynyster and his new band is called Avenged Threshold.  Yes I just had a few beverages :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »
Damian must be pissed off.  He has changed his name to D. Wilsynyster and his new band is called Avenged Threshold.  Yes I just had a few beverages :lol

After having 24 hours for this to sink in, this turn of events is just absolutely fucking crazy, like what the hell, seriously?  The whole thing just doesn't make sense.  Would they not have known in the writing process that the direction they were going was different to what they had and wanted with Damian.  Nothing adds up here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: March 28, 2017, 07:01:48 AM »
WTF indeed  ;D

I dunno mate - I doubt we will ever know what we're not being told.   I doubt it's just "creative differences" given where they were at in the album/tour process.  Damian has done something to piss someone off somewhere I'm guessing.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #254 on: March 28, 2017, 08:01:40 AM »
Yeah, something big would have had to go down to scrap a whole album and start fresh. Maybe he wanted to take a 5 year break after this tour?  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: March 28, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »
Damian's statement makes him sound like he's at a loss as to the reasonings.  Surely something more going on.  Maybe he's the problem and his statement is him playing the victim making everyone think he's getting a raw deal.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
I was thinking the real reason might be as simple as they prefer glynn's voice to damian's voice. Maybe they felt like damian's voice wasn't the sound they wanted for the band long haul. And after hearing his vocals for the new album, it reinforced those feelings for a different direction.

On a separate note, I'm clicking around YouTube listening to Damian Wilson songs. The "Seek for Adventure" song with Adam Wakeman is absolutely wonderful. What a beautiful tune.

Also, I feel like Damian is wearing the same black t-shirt in every video and picture I see of him. :o
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »

Also, I feel like Damian is wearing the same black t-shirt in every video and picture I see of him. :o

Maybe the B.O. got a bit much for the Threshold guys.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:08:09 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2017, 03:31:44 AM »
Well, that puts a major damper on my anticipation of their next album. What gives? Will they rerecord? I think they want a more rockish voice? I don't know, unlike Mac and Damian I think Glyn has a really generic rock voice, but their material with him is long ago so I don't know how he sounds now.

Well, if this means we will hear more of the other projects Damian is involved with (Headspace, his singer-songwriter material, his collab with Wakeman, Maiden United etc.), I can live with it. But Threshold will need to convince me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2017, 05:49:26 AM »
I was thinking the real reason might be as simple as they prefer glynn's voice to damian's voice. Maybe they felt like damian's voice wasn't the sound they wanted for the band long haul. And after hearing his vocals for the new album, it reinforced those feelings for a different direction.
Maybe the new album lends itself more to Glynn's vocals, but I doubt that it's just that they prefer his vocals to Damian's. I mean they've had Damian in the lineup 3 different times now. Had they not liked his vocals, I doubt they would've asked him back a third time and kept him in the lineup for the last 5 or so years.

Keep in mind that they also met up with Glynn in (I think) 2008 to record vocals for a couple of Psychedelicatessen-era B-sides to include in their singles box set. If they really preferred his vocals, I would imagine they would have asked him back on a full time basis then and not waited until now. Pretty sure it's something else besides the differences in vocal styles.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2017, 06:13:53 AM »
Yeah, reading up on this a bit more and god this is such a mess. The whole album was recorded and the tour was already planned, and people even already bought tickets for it. Something must have been wrong because the timing could almost not be any worse than this. I feel bad for Damian as well, since this will undoubtly leave a major sudden gap in his schedule and income. I don't know what happened behind the scenes so I can't judge, but I do know Damian is a very passionate, down to earth guy that has an incredible connection with his fans.

The thing is, I think Damian has such a unique voice which is what made the albums with him stand out amongst the similar prog rock/metal acts. I see people are saying they will rerecord the vocals, is this confimed? I mean, it would make sense but I'd really love to hear another Damian album. Journey has slowly grown on me the past couple of months and I liked the recent live album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
Yeah, reading up on this a bit more and god this is such a mess. The whole album was recorded and the tour was already planned, and people even already bought tickets for it. Something must have been wrong because the timing could almost not be any worse than this. I feel bad for Damian as well, since this will undoubtly leave a major sudden gap in his schedule and income. I don't know what happened behind the scenes so I can't judge, but I do know Damian is a very passionate, down to earth guy that has an incredible connection with his fans.

The thing is, I think Damian has such a unique voice which is what made the albums with him stand out amongst the similar prog rock/metal acts. I see people are saying they will rerecord the vocals, is this confimed? I mean, it would make sense but I'd really love to hear another Damian album. Journey has slowly grown on me the past couple of months and I liked the recent live album.
I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of severance payment. They seem to run it like a business where the vocalist is hired, and in this stint he's been with them for the best part of 10 years so I can't imagine they'd just ditch him without compensation.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2017, 06:30:38 AM »

I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of severance payment. They seem to run it like a business where the vocalist is hired, and in this stint he's been with them for the best part of 10 years so I can't imagine they'd just ditch him without compensation.

Ah, yeah, that would make sense. I don't really know that much about how artists handle their business.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
I'm not too familiar with Threshold's early history, but does anyone know why Damian and the band parted ways the first two times?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
I'm not too familiar with Threshold's early history, but does anyone know why Damian and the band parted ways the first two times?
I'm not completely sure, but I think the first time he left, it was because he was involved with other bands or wanted to be involved in other things. Second time around, I haven't a clue. But I'm pretty sure that in both cases, it was him who made the decision to leave - I don't believe he was fired either time.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2017, 05:44:33 PM »
Maybe the new album lends itself more to Glynn's vocals, but I doubt that it's just that they prefer his vocals to Damian's. I mean they've had Damian in the lineup 3 different times now. Had they not liked his vocals, I doubt they would've asked him back a third time and kept him in the lineup for the last 5 or so years.

Keep in mind that they also met up with Glynn in (I think) 2008 to record vocals for a couple of Psychedelicatessen-era B-sides to include in their singles box set. If they really preferred his vocals, I would imagine they would have asked him back on a full time basis then and not waited until now. Pretty sure it's something else besides the differences in vocal styles.

Wow, really? They recorded stuff with Glynn in the late 2000's, that is awesome. Which songs?

I think Half way home is one, which is damn fine. If the new album sounds like that, then I am down

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

Wow, really? They recorded stuff with Glynn in the late 2000's, that is awesome. Which songs?

I think Half way home is one, which is damn fine. If the new album sounds like that, then I am down
Just Fist of Tongues and Half Way Home, which were explicitly for the singles box set. Apparently they didn't have anything else (worthwhile?) from that era to use as B-sides.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
Oh ok. Cool

I just checked out both of those songs. I dig them

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »

Good points! That makes sense. I think you're right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
I think mac is my favorite of the 3, with Damien being extremely close behind. Extinct instinct is my favorite album of theirs and Innocent might be my favorite song. Go figure

This band has so much to offer.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »
Random thought here, but it's always bothered me that the song "Critical Mass" isn't on YouTube. That's gotta be one of my top 10 favorite songs of all-time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 09, 2017, 04:15:46 AM »
Random thought here, but it's always bothered me that the song "Critical Mass" isn't on YouTube. That's gotta be one of my top 10 favorite songs of all-time.

I'll take your word on that, but that is strange.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
Came here to post the link. I like it. Singer is very good.  I was never a huge fan of Damien.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
It is okay. I think the new singer has a good rock voice (but nothing unique), based on older material, but I am not fond of his more melodic/clean singing, which is what this song is focusing on. I am hoping the new album will contain some good rockers like with the Mac era, because I feel that will work well with this guy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
I like it. Singer is very good.  I was never a huge fan of Damien.
Always liked Glynn the most of the 3 vocalists, so I'm glad he's getting a second chance. I too was never that excited by Damian, so I welcome the change. The song is good, altho nothing groundbreaking. Typical Threshold overall, if longer than normal. Actually, I would've thought it might have a little harder edge to it, judging by the Psychedelicatessen album - will be curious is this track is representative of the album or not.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
Came here to post the link. I like it. Singer is very good.  I was never a huge fan of Damien.

Fix'd for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
The song was kind of a chore to get through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »

Fix'd for me.

I'd take Damien over Robert Plant... 😀🖕

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »

I'd take Damien over Robert Plant... 😀🖕

:lol