Author Topic: Soen (new album Memorial is out)  (Read 19239 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Soen (new album Imperial is out)
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2023, 06:39:25 AM »
Not talk about the new album ah,

Listened to it on a drive over the weekend. Need to listen to it a few more times, but on first listen it was enjoyable enough.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2023, 10:14:11 AM »
After 5-6 listens, the riffs and chorus aren't as good as on Imperial (which was my favorite from them).

I'm not sure why but I get the feeling as if they were trying to head to a more "pop" sound on this album and it's not working that well for me.

Anyway, Vitals is an excellent song, Joel's vocals are always amazing.

Right now for me it's a good album, but nothing incredible like their two last albums.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 10:24:23 AM by Blind_FaithX »
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2023, 10:34:40 AM »
Interesting you mention the Pop thing. I listened to this over the weekend and was underwhelmed. Something seemed off or missing. Maybe it will be a grower, but as of now it is a surprising disappointment.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2023, 10:45:29 AM »
So you agree with the pop side or not? Don't know if it's just me haha

... Something seemed off or missing ...

I got the same feeling
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2023, 11:04:40 AM »
Nick and I kinda discussed this in the What Album Thread. I personally didn’t connect with the previous two albums, but after two spins of the latest, I think it has something the previous two were missing and I like it a lot. Obviously whatever it is I like, is what you guys dislike about it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2023, 12:32:27 PM »
It's hard to call this Pop, but I did notice something different. I have nothing against Pop and like many artists, but whatever was going on here just threw me off. I need a few more listens to gather a full opinion. Going out later, but I will be jamming the Empire State Bastard disc.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2023, 01:13:28 PM »
First impressions after two spins:

- I get the 'pop thing'. A bunch of 4 minute songs with a quite traditional song structure;
- A few rhytms and vocal lines that sound very familiar and could be on the last two albums as well;
- Joel Ekelof sounds better with every album.

General impression: good but not great. Seems they have found the sound they feel comfortable with and are fine with that but at the risk at getting predictable and expendable. I feel like you could literally mix all songs of the last albums, take a random bunch of 8-10 songs for each album and it doesn't really make a difference.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2023, 02:16:38 PM »
Not really hearing a pop element, but I don't find it quite as strong as the last few albums. I guess they're getting a bit samey maybe? Still pretty great though and a lot of really catchy and/or warm choruses which is what I love about their stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Soen (new album Memorial is out)
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2023, 08:53:16 AM »
Thread title modified to reflect the new album release.

I liked the new album, but not quite as much as the last one or two.  Still good though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2023, 09:05:08 AM »
As Luke said, we did discuss this a bit on the Listening Now thread...I agree with most of the comments expressed here.

It is growing a bit with further listens but, yes, I think this will settle at a lower rank than Imperial and Lotus (to focus on the more recent records). I'm definitely with Nachtmerrie on some of the rhythmic patterns and vocal lines sounding very familiar. Indeed, that's my main beef with the album, as I mentioned before.

I do hear a slight more overt "pop" influence in some of choruses (Unbreakable, in particular?), although not a major shift from their recent material. Maybe not super original-sounding, but the duet with Elisa (Italian singer!) is quite nice. One of the (late) album highlights for me is Icon - I like the energy it brings to the table.

Overall, I think it's a good album. I just hoped for something a bit "different" (not even sure which way, but that's not my job ;)), rather than what's mostly a re-packaging of their last couple of albums.

Online Mladen

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2023, 04:07:22 AM »
The choruses are certainly more poppy, though I'm getting more of an alternative vibe from the album as a whole. It's not progressive per se, but it is fun. I especially like Fortfress, the title track and the last two songs.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2023, 09:00:10 PM »
Loved Lotus but only liked Imperial so hitting play on this one was a little whatever but man this is quite excellent.  Guess can hear the pop complaints others mention but if anything those  only enhance the listen for my ears.

Getting stuck on songs not yet high on the rankings while trying pick through favourites is the sign of a good album \m/