Author Topic: Pyramid Theorem v. Beyond The Exosphere  (Read 31786 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Pyramid Theorem
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:14 PM »
OK. Second listen..

This album is FUCKING  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Same here!  Loving Lifeline and Cliffhanger.  The bass sure is prominent in on this album.  The drums get a bit buried in places, but the album flows well and grows on you as you listen multiple times. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »

-- TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT --

We are thrilled to announce that we will be participating in the 'Proggy Nights in Canada' mini tour with our friends Cydemind & Universe Effects. The tour stops on this run include...

August 18th - Quebec City, QC @ Le Cercle
August 19th - Montreal, QC @ Piranha Bar
August 20th - Toronto, ON @ Coalition T.O.

Do not miss your chance to see us perform songs from 'Element of Surprise', which we just released this passed Friday. If you haven't checked it out yet, what the heck are you waiting for?!?!

More details coming soon...

We'll see you on the road \m/. .\m/

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:59:43 PM by johnnysuperfan »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2017, 04:43:02 AM »
Cool!  Cydemind was ok.  I really loved Universe Effects.  Pretty sure I'll plan to see this
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2017, 09:11:40 PM »
I came across this amazing review from the band's Instagram account today written by a well respected metal journalist, Drew Masters who founded M.E.A.T. magazine (that's how I discovered Dream Theater in 1992 - M.E.A.T) so I wanted to post it here, awesome for the band to receive this recognition:

"12/16/2017 > "5/4 Fest, Day 1" featuring PYRAMID THEOREM + DEVOURING SATURN @ Rivoli, TO > "Seems the city that in the 1970's produced some of the Canada's, if not the world's, most acclaimed prog acts (Rush, Saga, FM, Zon, Max Webster) is at is again!… on this night I was only able to catch 2 bands, the first of which was DEVOURING SATURN… with 8 & 7 string guitars, a 6 string bass plus keys, this rising band's influences were primarily Meshuggah, Between The Buried And Me, and the like… while I found most of their tracks to be 'of the moment' tonally, I did however thoroughly enjoy the tracks extended lengths… the overall dynamics were terrific, with many tracks consisting of both fierce and soft moments… most of DS's material is 2-3 years old, but what stood out were tracks they've yet to release, so 2018 should be a move-forward year for this act… they were followed by the absolutely amazing PYRAMID THEORM, a magnificent 4-piece band that recently placed 2nd overall in the nationwide "WACKEN METAL BATTLE 2017" contest… opening with a virtually-note-and-drum-perfect rendition of Rush's "Limelight" (wow!), it set the stage for a bombastic wave of mind-blowing majestic original material to follow, most of which came from their latest CD "Element Of Surprise"… alongside me observing PT was renown studio mix engineer Richard Chycki (Rush, Dream Theater, Aerosmith) who cleverly observed that virtuoso guitarist SAM ERMELLINI was a kind of "prog Phil X" and I couldn't agree more!… I was glued to Sam's incredible effortless playing… I dare state that Sam is the most talented pure prog-rock guitarist this city has produced since the 70s' heyday of Lifeson, Mitchell, and Crichton... and along with his equally talented band mates — CHRISTIAN DI MAMBRO (bass/vocals); STEPHAN DI MAMBRO (keys); and VIC DEE (drums) — this act is pumping out simply incredible, high-energy new-age prog metal (and they're only going to get better!)… in the short time I've seen them, this band is growing rapidly... vocals, once their achilles, have tastefully evolved to match their instrumentation... and their performance is now ready for a worldwide stage... all this act needs is a (HUGE) break!… so while the world en masse is engrossed in hiphop, it's great to see that being exceptionally talented and progressive on rock instruments is still important, and even greater to see Toronto as one of the world leaders"
PYRAMID THEOREM > https://www.facebook.com/pyramidtheorem
DEVOURING SATURN > https://www.facebook.com/devouringsaturn/"

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2017, 08:06:30 AM »
M.E.A.T. magazine, haven't heard of that in a while. My band was featured in '93, we thought we were big-time. LOL.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
M.E.A.T. magazine, haven't heard of that in a while. My band was featured in '93, we thought we were big-time. LOL.

I used to read that too, and I remember Drew Masters, though I haven't seen his name in years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2017, 08:26:23 PM »
I've literally never heard of M.E.A.T. Magazine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2017, 11:15:40 PM »

back in the early 90's across Canada there was a free metal mag at HMV stores which was awesome, album reviews, interviews, etc. One member on there Metal Tim Henderson carried that over to form Brave Words Bloody Knuckles. At the time M.E.A.T. was free but I believe Drew Masters pulled off publishing because he wanted to keep it free but it got to expensive to keep it going. Plus in the credits of the Awake CD you'll find his name there because of the features and interviews with James Labrie.

here's a link to what the mag looked liked https://goo.gl/images/EG6dt3

Offline mike099

« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
I would like to see them financially to be able to go on the road full time
With an established band to get more exposure.

I still LFAO at the video for the song ‘drive’.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »

Music
Entertainment
Around
Toronto

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2017, 06:33:35 AM »

Music
Entertainment
Around
Toronto

You can't beat it.  :neverusethis:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2019, 08:46:08 PM »

On The Loose - Saga (cover)

https://youtu.be/m0TMbXZUtHA

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »

Music
Entertainment
Around
Toronto

You can't beat it.  :neverusethis:

LOL reminds me of an old local radio station KOME who's tag line was 'Don't touch that dial, there's KOME on it...'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
I saw they had a new single on Spotify today.  This makes me happy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
Sweet!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
I saw they had a new single on Spotify today.  This makes me happy.

If this new track punched you in the gut like it did me, then we are both very happy ;D ;D ;D  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2020, 12:43:54 PM »
The fact that someone else posted it in this thread before you should've punched you in the gut!  ;D :lol :) ;D :lol :)

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
The fact that someone else posted it in this thread before you should've punched you in the gut!  ;D :lol :) ;D :lol :)

hahaha, thanks Mr. Crabs. Appreciate you keeping this band alive.  :biggrin:

Can't wait until the new album is out and where this goes. I'm blown away Richard Chycki produced, mixed and engineered this. Huge win for the band for sure

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »

2nd single to the upcoming new release on August 21 "Beyond The Exosphere"

Pyramid Theorem
@PyramidTheorem
·
1h

We’re giving all of our fans that use Spotify the opportunity to download “Intonate,” a song off the new album, before it’s official release…and for FREE! Download it and let us know what you think about the song in the comments! Click here to download : https://bit.ly/Intonate

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »

Just viewed the BangerTV Shedders Of Metal Drummers Series.

Props of all the 8 drummers that competed. The natural talent they possess is amazing.

Vito came in 2nd.

Congrats to Dherryk the Champ! :metal :tup

https://youtu.be/oBGFy4EWHPE

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
Never heard of Pyramid Theorem before but I'm listening to their new album, just about done. Impressive prog metal in a year that hasn't shown me much metal (let alone prog metal) to be excited by. There's a lot of modern DT influence I hear on this, especially from the latest DT record, I hear lots of JP in the guitar. But it has some really cool musical moments and solos. Very cool album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2020, 09:07:57 AM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:25:36 AM by johnnysuperfan »

Offline johnnysuperfan

Re: Pyramid Theorem v. Beyond The Exosphere
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »

Thanks Walrus, glad you enjoyed the new album.

Currently at #31 on the iTunes top 200 metal chart.

Would of never expected this, congrats to the band. 

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2020, 03:17:50 PM »
Mixed by Richard Chycki. Isn't that the guy that butchered some recent Dream Theater albums?

Offline mike099

« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2020, 03:20:19 PM »
I will have to wait until amazon music has this available in cd or digital.  I used to buy from iTunes, but the last 3 albums I bought would not completely download to my iTunes library.  Actually the titles downloaded, but some were blank for the music.

Offline mike099

« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2020, 04:19:02 PM »
Excellent album!  Sad that these guys cannot break away and go on a proper tour with a well known headliner like DT if they scaled back and had an opening band again or maybe Tour with Haken.

Johnny Super Fan, what is the current information on the band.  Are they with a label and If not why? They should be given the chance to make a decent living with this and see where it goes.  Of course they may already have decent jobs and are content with where they are.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »
Mixed by Richard Chycki. Isn't that the guy that butchered some recent Dream Theater albums?

Produced and Mixed by Richard Chycki, yes!

My first impression the kick drum mix would be too electronic not the natural bass sound which I prefer. After listening to the entire album today a few times this is not the case.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2020, 06:04:28 PM »
Excellent album!  Sad that these guys cannot break away and go on a proper tour with a well known headliner like DT if they scaled back and had an opening band again or maybe Tour with Haken.

Johnny Super Fan, what is the current information on the band.  Are they with a label and If not why? They should be given the chance to make a decent living with this and see where it goes.  Of course they may already have decent jobs and are content with where they are.

Thanks Mike. With the exception of Tornado from the previous album, the songs on this new album to me are so much better. They really concentrated on the song writing, lyrics etc. and the growth of this band is on another level. I'm happy they didn't throw the towel and quit.

I haven't seen them personally in 2 years. Far as I know they are still unsigned to a record label. I do know they have teamed up with Milestone Publicity an marketing company for recording artists based in Nashville. I think PT still manage themselves as a band. If it wasn't for this pandemic we are in, I'm sure this band would do some shows in the USA this fall.

So far the reaction on YouTube has been positive. I'm seeing comments around the world Russia, France, Sweden, Indonesia etc.

I did see a tweet from the promoter of Prog Power USA. Maybe on the next Prog Power event in Atlanta they may get an invite.

Hopefully the music will speak for itself and more prog metal fans will enjoy this album. I'm not very good at writing album reviews so I'll be keeping my eye out for reviews from Brave Words, etc.

I watch on YouTube a lot of the Sea Of Tranquility channel. Pete Pardo is awesome and if he ever did a review on this band it would be fantastic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »
After loving the first album, I guess for whatever reason I didn't spend a ton of time with Element Of Surprise. I have it, and I'll have to revisit it.

Listening to Beyond The Exosphere and this is awesome. I'll have to wait until next month and get it with some birthday $$. But I am getting!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »
I personally hate whatever tuning they use on Freedom.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »
After loving the first album, I guess for whatever reason I didn't spend a ton of time with Element Of Surprise. I have it, and I'll have to revisit it.

Listening to Beyond The Exosphere and this is awesome. I'll have to wait until next month and get it with some birthday $$. But I am getting!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TAC RULES !!!!

I ordered the bundle (T-shirt, CD, Blue Vinyl LP) from bandcamp, should receive it early September