Author Topic: theseoafs' song roulette v. unbelievable.  (Read 36079 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: theseoafs' song roulette v. Round 5
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
Haha, I seem to have broken everyone's spirits. :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »
Eh,  I'm cool.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: theseoafs' song roulette v. Hump Round
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »

BITSOW (2 points) : Brevity is the soul of wit, they say, or as the more witty among them say, BITSOW.  The shortest song submitted gets a 2 point bonus.  Remember that I won't judge your song more kindly if it's especially short, so you don't want to send LA Drone from How the West Was Won.  Sending LA Drone would be a good way to guarantee yourself 3 points for the coming round, though.

-------

Whatever, I can beat even LA Drone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijIEYTgrSY
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:17:19 AM by lonestar »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2012, 01:53:35 AM »
Sent!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2012, 03:18:50 AM »
Yeah, more Anathema. Good choice Nek :tup

Kind of funny that we both sent the first track off their latest two albums (Thin Air is from We're here Because We're Here and Untouchable Pt. 1 is from their latest Weather Systems). Oafs, if you liked them, and I can see you did, I recommend you check both of those albums :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2012, 03:21:06 AM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2012, 04:17:48 AM »

BITSOW (2 points) : Brevity is the soul of wit, they say, or as the more witty among them say, BITSOW.  The shortest song submitted gets a 2 point bonus.  Remember that I won't judge your song more kindly if it's especially short, so you don't want to send LA Drone from How the West Was Won.  Sending LA Drone would be a good way to guarantee yourself 3 points for the coming round, though.

-------

I know I'm not in the roulette, but I can beat even that with this.

Great choice on Anathema, btw, I've just begun getting into them. Eternity is beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:48:15 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2012, 04:26:33 AM »
First of all, the song was EXTREMELY 80's. I didn't even have to look up the decade. :lol

For someone born in the early 90s, I'm not sure how you can make that proclamation.  Was just pointing out that your comments come out with a somewhat anti-bias towards a perceived "80s" sound.  But no matter.  I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Short and sweet huh.  I'll just have to peruse a playlist I have just for that purpose. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2012, 04:29:20 AM »
Eternity is beautiful.

Wait until you hear the albums that come after that. My personal favourites are the last two.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
So, what I should have said in sending that song to you was the use of one chord 85% of the time. :lol  Couldn't get it out when I was typing. :lol  But it is a song that makes you listen over and over.  I till you what,  the album is a hard listen.  You come out of it thinking, "Do I like this album?"  Then over about 10 to 15 listens it sticks.  The album is called, Pony Express Record.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:02 AM »
Sent.  Giving you a big :Debra: with all the fun/jest that I possibly can.   :D ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2012, 08:58:02 AM »

-------

Great choice on Anathema, btw, I've just begun getting into them. Eternity is beautiful.

Three seconds, impressive.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Sent.  Giving you a big :Debra: with all the fun/jest that I possibly can.   :D ;)

:lol  Okay, good.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
Sent.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »

-------

Three seconds, impressive.

That's what she said.

Wait, what?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »

Chaaaaaaaaaaddddd... :lol

Taking a page out of Nem's playbook, I see... :P :laugh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
Sent minus the finger. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:37 AM »
Do you mind me sending a youtube link instead of an mp3? I'm not at home at the moment, so I don't have access to my music library. If not, I'll be able to send something tomorrow (~24 hours from now).
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2012, 05:19:46 AM »
Do you mind me sending a youtube link instead of an mp3? I'm not at home at the moment, so I don't have access to my music library. If not, I'll be able to send something tomorrow (~24 hours from now).

Elite. It's due less than 24 hours.  Wanted to give you the heads up.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
I know, that's why I'm asking if it's alright to send a youtube link. it will pretty much have to do :P
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:54 AM »
Giving me the razz!! :lol

Alright, alright, I was just making sure.  But if you read to OP you'd see that youtube is ok. :P :P :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #196 on: July 15, 2012, 06:04:29 AM »
Alright, I'll do a youtube link. :)
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »
 :laugh:

Well done Elite, I thought of sending that one too but Weather Systems is providing lots of joy for me these days.

Song sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2012, 10:36:38 AM »
Yeah, I'm still unsure which I like better, but I think I'll have to give the edge to We're Here Because We're Here, less stuff that doesn't go anywhere, imho. Plus WHBWH has A Simple Mistake, which is my favourite Anathema song :)

Also, SONG SENT.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
So, is anything happening here?
Squ

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
Fucking around again I see... ;D
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
Yep, I was.  See, my natural inclination is not to finish the things I start, so this last leg might be difficult, but I'll push through. :tup

Starting on the writeups now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »
Yep, I was.  See, my natural inclination is not to finish the things I start, so this last leg might be difficult, but I'll push through. :tup

Starting on the writeups now.

You better not leave this group with a case of roulette blue-balls!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
Oh no, definitely not.  I'm not going to pull a numbers. :lol

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
7th place
Nominator: Elite
Artist: dredg
Song: Stamp of Origin: Take a Look Around

Being one of the few participants who took the BITSOW challenge seriously, Elite's song runs just under a minute long.  What we've got here is a musical interlude, and a pleasant-sounding one at that, but by virtue of its length, the song just didn't go anywhere.  It was effectively a verse, but verses aren't really anything without the rest of the song, you know? 1 point, but at least you got the bonus. :lol

6th place
Nominator: jingle.boy
Artist: Roswell Six
Song: Ishalem

In case you didn't gather from jingle's "finger", this song is very long.  Eleven minutes, in fact, making it the longest song I've gotten thus far. :lol

More standard prog, I guess.  Unfortunately, the song just couldn't keep my attention, which is the absolute worst thing for a song of this length.  I see no reason it had to be this long, and I couldn't remember a single musical idea from the piece when it ended (a curse when you're ranking seven songs based more or less on your first impression of them).  2 points, but don't give up hope, jingle.

5th place
Nominator: lonestar
Artist: Stargate
Song: Save the World

A good prog metal tune, if not an overly standard one.  The symphonic bits were a nice touch, and the vocalist and bassist were great.  The chorus ("re-ACT-ion") is probably the highlight here, particularly the "whoa-whoa-whoa".  The last minute or so was also great.  Didn't reach the heights of 4th place and above, though.  3 points.

4th place
Nominator: kingshmegland
Artist: Moe Tar
Song: Friction

shmeg said he "went out on a limb" with this one, and that resulted in his worst score of the entire roulette, so maybe he should stay off those limbs.

In all seriousness, this song was fine.  Very, very unusual, but the problem actually isn't in the song's strangeness; I dug the off-kilter groove, and I suppose I enjoyed the music all the way through, but the problem was in the presentation.  The music was so unusual and intense (many measures of 3/4 and 7/8, usually with eighth- and sixteenth-notes) that it actually became a little frustrating.  And it didn't help that the singer's nearly always singing, from the very beginning of the track.  I guess you could say the song left no room to breathe, which is a big deal if you're going to write a song that's this crazy.  It just gets kind of samey (never a good thing).  If the song were ~2 minutes longer, with a not-so-involved instrumental in the middle, I might place this one a couple spots higher.  In any case, his highness gets a not-too-shabby 4 points.

3rd place
Nominator: Nekov
Artist: Marco Minnemann
Song: Waiting for Boys and Girls

I'd never heard any of Minnemann's solo material, as a matter of fact.  I learned about him for the first time when I found out he had auditioned for DT, and I quickly decided he was the guy for the job.  I admit I was wrong.

Anyway, this song was great.  Very ambient, very jazzy (two strictly good adjectives, in my book).  I'm particularly impressed by how much musical ground is covered over the course of the piece; a lot of thought is put into the phrasing and rhythm of each measure, with the tiny segments at 0:50 and 1:20 being particularly unlike the groove of the remainder of the piece.  The piano is the star here, and its melodies are beautiful and powerful.  If there are any faults, it's that it's too short; Marco left me wanting so much more.  5 points.

2nd place
Nominator: MasterShakezula
Artist: Phish
Song: Squirming Coil

Wonderful.  I'd heard some Phish before, and none of it caught my ear, but this is something special, here.  The first minute or so evokes a classic rock chorus, but it quickly becomes a different beast altogether.  That motif fades into the light strumming of an acoustic guitar, hinting at a jazzier direction for the coming minutes.  After some time, uptempo drums give way, and we launch into one of the more pleasant jams I've ever heard.  Of particular note is the piano solo at 2:43 or so, leading into a verse featuring some rather silly lyrics.  Around 3:40, we've got a final instrumental interlude, which is suitably majestic for its purposes.  This leads, naturally, into a reprise of the chorus.

Structurally, this song is really something else.  It's a good thing to listen to a song and not quite know where it intends to go next.  On the whole, the music was groovy, jazzy, and pleasant, and the musicianship was great.  Have 6 points for your trouble.

1st place
Nominator: WindMaster
Artist: Mumford and Sons
Song: Dust Bowl Dance

An incredibly great song.  I'd never heard anything by this band before.  I knew they were a new group with a folksy vibe, but I'm definitely going to have to check out more, because this was a fantastic tune.  It rocks hard, and is yet classic; the songwriting is fantastic - the chorus is quite the earworm - and the execution is perfect.  From practically nothing, the piece escalates to a startling intensity, but yet it doesn't feel out of place.

Great musicianship, by the way.  Props to the drummer; the syncopated rhythm at 3:05 was one of my favorite moments of the song.  The solo banjo also added quite a bit, and I loved the vocalist.  7 points.

BONUSES!
BITSOW: Elite got 2 points for submitting a song that was 0:59 in length.  He also took my advice by getting last place.  Yay!
The King is Dead: WindMaster and MasterShakezula, being our top 2 for today, each get 1 point.  I'm also taking 2 points from kingshmegland because I assume they both want to steal from him.  Wind and Shake, if I guessed incorrectly and you wanted to steal from someone that wasn't kingshmegland, then tell me and I'll correct that right away.

1. kingshmegland - 25 + 4 - 2 = 27
2. Nekov - 18 + 5 = 23
3. MasterShakezula - 15 + 6 + 1 = 22
4. Elite - 17 + 1 + 2 = 20
4. WindMaster - 12 + 7 + 1 = 20
6. lonestar - 14 + 3 = 17
7. jingle.boy - 14 + 2 = 16

--------
ROUND 6 - THE MODERN
Bonuses:  Rumpelstiltskin (2 points/participant), ESP2 (Up to 7 points/participant)
Deadline: Wednesday, July 18 @ 9:00 PM Central time (~48 hours from now)

Rumpelstiltskin (2 points/participant) :  It's time for a true test of friendship.  With your song submission, tell me my first and last name.  Shouldn't be too difficult if you know where to look.  (1 point for only one name.  No points lost for guesses.)

ESP2 (Up to 7 points/participant) :  Battle of the psychics!  With your song submission, bet me any number of points N between 1 and 7.  If I give your song N points or higher, you'll get N points as a bonus; if the score I give your song is lower than that number, you'll lose N points.  Here's how that works:

If you bet 1 point, you'll get 1 bonus point.
If you bet 2 points, you'll get 2 bonus points unless you get last place, in which case you lose 2 points.
If you bet 3 points, you'll get 3 bonus points if you get 5th place or higher; otherwise, you lose 3 points. 
If you bet 4 points, you'll get 4 bonus points if you get 4th place or higher; otherwise, you lose 4 points.
If you bet 5 points, you'll get 5 bonus points if you get 3rd place or higher; otherwise, you lose 5 points.
If you bet 6 points, you'll get 6 bonus points if you get 2nd place or higher; otherwise, you lose 6 points.
If you bet 7 points, you'll get 7 bonus points if you get 1st place; otherwise, you lose 7 points.

These are organized such that the risks and rewards increase as you go down the list.  If you bet 1 point, there's no risk but little reward; if you bet 7 points, there's a great possibility for reward but high risk.  If you have any questions about this bonus, feel free to ask; I'm sure this is confusing. :lol
-------
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:00:23 PM by theseoafs »

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
WOOHOO!  :metal

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
It brings me great joy that you dug the tune that's turning me into a Phan. 

Also, how modern do you mean by modern?

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
I mean "modern", whatever that means to you.

It doesn't even have to be modern, honestly.  If you haven't noticed, I haven't been ranking people based on how well they fit the theme, so you could send me Buddy Holly if you wanted. :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
 :laugh:

Will give it a thought for next round
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: theseoafs' song roulette v. Round SIXX AM LOL RAWK AND ROLL
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »
sent.