Author Topic: Through Her Eyes appreciation thread  (Read 6179 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Through Her Eyes appreciation thread
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
This always seems to be the forgotten song when discussing Scenes from a Memory, and I rarely see it mentioned among favorites from this album or in most of the top 50s, but this is one damn fine song; definitely one of DT's best slower songs to date!  JLB's vocal performance in this song is absolutely fantastic, and overall this song is just a melodic gem.  And last but not least, John Myung's fretless bass work in this tune is :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. :tup :tup

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Through Her Eyes appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
My favorite ballad by DT (I think). It's simply beautiful. And the lyrics could even be applied to a broader scope than just the story of the concept album. Definitely deserves more credit than it gets. And as much as I like the saxophone outro on the alternate version, I still prefer JLB's falsetto outro on the album.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
Great song. I really like how soothing it is, and both the guitar and the bass work are tremendous.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »
Not one of my favourites from the album (nor by DT), but in the context of the album it works perfectly. JLB's vocals are the highlight, and showcase a different style of vibrato to usual, plus the falsettos, plus some great melodies. I used to always skip it, and it's still not a song I would listen to on its own, but it fits in well when listening to the album as a whole (which is the only way I ever listen to it anyway).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »
Yeah i love this song! The beautiful sax solo on the alternate version always gets me in a good mood!  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
Not the best song of SFAM, but a good one indeed. It's especially tasty to me the mellow solos that have been added at the end of the song on stage in 2004. :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »
I like to sing this song while listening to it.  :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
  It's especially tasty to me the mellow solos that have been added at the end of the song on stage in 2004. :)

That's the one that I really wish DT wouldn't do.  Mellow songs like Surrounded and Through Her Eyes are awesome as is, and to "wank them up" live by adding any solos, mellow or showy, takes a bit away from the awesome vibe of those songs.  Those songs prove that DT can write great songs without showing off or soloing, yet they feel the need to add those elements to those songs when playing them live.  They even did it with Through Her Eyes on the M:2000 tour by having that needless JP solo precede the song.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
  It's especially tasty to me the mellow solos that have been added at the end of the song on stage in 2004. :)

That's the one that I really wish DT wouldn't do.  Mellow songs like Surrounded and Through Her Eyes are awesome as is, and to "wank them up" live by adding any solos, mellow or showy, takes a bit away from the awesome vibe of those songs.  Those songs prove that DT can write great songs without showing off or soloing, yet they feel the need to add those elements to those songs when playing them live.  They even did it with Through Her Eyes on the M:2000 tour by having that needless JP solo precede the song.

I didn't like the 2000 solo, it was out of place, considering the song that was being played. The 2004 solos were much better, though. No shredding, just a fitting coda by Jordan or John (or both). I'll see if I can provide you some example  :tup

ETA: Here it  is, the best one I know! Bologna 2004. https://uploading.com/files/get/ca65a7ee/14%2BThrough%2Bher%2Beyes.mp3
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:48:00 PM by wasteland »
- Marco

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:33:11 PM »
I'll see about maybe checking that out. ;)

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »

How about the solo in Hollow Years on Live At Budokan?
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

I didn't like the 2000 solo, it was out of place, considering the song that was being played. The 2004 solos were much better, though. No shredding, just a fitting coda by Jordan or John (or both). I'll see if I can provide you some example  :tup

ETA: Here it  is, the best one I know! Bologna 2004. https://uploading.com/files/get/ca65a7ee/14%2BThrough%2Bher%2Beyes.mp3

Oh, this was, what I call a great performance.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
I love everything about this song. I love the wonderful lyrics - they have brought tears into my eyes more than once, love the tone, love the way JLB brings variation to the simple vocal melodies, love his falsetto outro, love the simplicity of the guitar soloing. If I cared enough about people who claim Dream Theater are wankers, I'd carry this song on some player with me, like some secret weapon, and shove it in the face of anyone who says so.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
This always seems to be the forgotten song when discussing Scenes from a Memory, and I rarely see it mentioned among favorites from this album or in most of the top 50s, but this is one damn fine song; definitely one of DT's best slower songs to date!  JLB's vocal performance in this song is absolutely fantastic, and overall this song is just a melodic gem.  And last but not least, John Myung's fretless bass work in this tune is :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. :tup :tup
Great song. I would love to see them bring this back. It definitely stands on its own.
The LSFNY version is incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:58:38 AM »

Pass.  I've always thought that sounded wildly out of place as well.  In a vacuum, the solo is mostly good, but it just doesn't sound right for that song.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
Yeah i love this song! The beautiful sax solo on the alternate version always gets me in a good mood!  :)

I like the alternate version as well...great song!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
I like to sing this song while listening to it.  :)
I like to sing EVERY DT song while listening to it.  :biggrin:
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
This song is soooo epic.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
So beautiful. Especially live sfny
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »

Pass.  I've always thought that sounded wildly out of place as well.  In a vacuum, the solo is mostly good, but it just doesn't sound right for that song.
Wow. The FII version would not make my Top 50, but the LaB version is easily Top 15.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »
Wow. The FII version would not make my Top 50, but the LaB version is easily Top 15.

And to say that the LIB Hollow Years wasn't anywhere close to the best Hollow Years of the tour! Anyway, I essentially agree with you (as always).
- Marco

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »

And to say that the LIB Hollow Years wasn't anywhere close to the best Hollow Years of the tour! Anyway, I essentially agree with you (as always).
Which one would you say? I have always felt that the LaB one was the most refined.  I really haven't studied the numerous other version that I have from the tour, but LaB just feels perfect.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »

Which one would you say? I have always felt that the LaB one was the most refined.  I really haven't studied the numerous other version that I have from the tour, but LaB just feels perfect.

I can't really name a single performance, but I feel that at least Madrid, NY, Boston and Osaka (1st night) were quite superior to LAB. And this without even considering LA, that I still need to hunt down, as you know.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
Beautiful song although not among my favorites and also the only DT song I remember hearing on the radio.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
I like THE. James' performance is great as you said, Kev, and I really appreciate the melodic motif that showed up earlier in Through My Words and later in The Spirit Carries On.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
my favorite dt ballad just beautiful  :yarr :hefdaddy
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
And the lyrics could even be applied to a broader scope than just the story of the concept album. Definitely deserves more credit than it gets.

Just been listening to SFAM again, and this pretty much sums it up for me.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
I just made this youtube video. Be sure to check the ending solo, the best one I've ever heard for the song (it's the one I suggested KS to listen, months ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zun0tdmS7J8

:tup
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
Amazing. Nice upload.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
Great song. It gets too much hate. All DT ballads do.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
I've always loved this song, and also never fully understood why it wasn't more popular among fans. I mean, I know Dream Theater is a "progressive metal" band and they do fantastic prog rock stuff and write great metal songs aswell, I know that's what they are about. But one of the great things about the band was that they can write songs like The Dance of Eternity but they don't make all of their music about highly technical playing. I've always said that they don't let the fact they can write highly technical songs like that and play to that calibre get in the way of good ol' fashioned songwriting. This track is a perfect example of that.

I'm always disappointed at live shows though, when a song like this or The Spirit Carries On or I Walk Beside you starts to be played...at least half of the crowd takes these songs as an opportunity to go to the bathroom.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:55 AM »
I'm always disappointed at live shows though, when a song like this or The Spirit Carries On or I Walk Beside you starts to be played...at least half of the crowd takes these songs as an opportunity to go to the bathroom.

Not in my country! TSCO was the song with the highest crowd partecipation at the show I attended (Milano, 2012).
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 01:48:06 AM »
Great song. It gets too much hate. All DT ballads do.
You're quite right about that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:19 AM »
Beautiful song although not among my favorites and also the only DT song I remember hearing on the radio.
Wow, this song has grown on me a lot in the past 6 months, it's one of my faves from SFAM now!