Author Topic: Nekov's Top 50 album thread v. Almost there  (Read 27631 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nekov's Top 50 album thread v. Almost there
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
50 - The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

This album deserves a place in my top 50 because it is the album that made me change the way I see the Rolling Stones. Even though they've become a band that knows how to make money with hits they used to do interesting stuff back in the 60s. This is a strange a psychodelic album that I would dare compare with Sargent Pepper's. The album contains interestng percusion, piano, string arrangements and organs and has a great vibe overall. Also, Paul McCartney and John Lennon did choruses in it.

Favorite songs: She's a Rainbow - Sing This All Together - 2000 Man

49 - Anathema - Weather Systems

This is a fairly recent addition in my top 50. I immediately loved this album after the first listen. It is so soothing, so warm but yet intense. The vocal melodies from Vinnie and Lee merge together beautifully backed perfectly by the rest of the band, creating powerful atmospheres. I don't think I'm able to name everything that's great in here because I would have to say everything but I do want to mention the string arrangements which work perfectly every single time.

Favorite songs: Untochable Pt.1 - Lightning Song - Sunlight

48 - The Police - Synchronicity

This album has everything that made The Police a great band. It's their most varied album as it mixes all the different genres they played in a very unique way, none of the songs sound like they are out of place. While it has a very low point in Mother that song still represents how bizarre these guys could get at times but aside from that particular song the rest of the album is flawless containing some of the bands best songs. The highlight for me here is Start Copeland and his simple yet amazing drumming.

Favorite songs: Synchronicity 2 - King of pain - Tea in the Sahara
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:59:14 AM by Nekov »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Nekov's Top 50 album thread v. Not the greatest reviewer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
Nice start, will follow. Weather Systems is an amazing album, but I must admit I'ver never heard the other two in full, only some tracks of them. On a side note; are you doing them in a complete random order, since you didn't number them or is it in order?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
Following :tup also curious about the numbering.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »
Following this shit. Weather Systems is great, as is the Rolling Stones record. I could never get into The Police, though.  :tup

Also,
are you doing them in a complete random order, since you didn't number them or is it in order?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
Also,
are you doing them in a complete random order, since you didn't number them or is it in order?

I was assuming people here were smart and would understand that I would start from 50 and down but it seems I'm in the wrong place...

I'm kidding, I completley forgot to put the numbers :lolpalm: Fixed

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
I'm not a leader, I'm a follower.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »
Great start
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »
Cool start! Weather Systems is very good and I debated between Synchronicity and Zenyattà Mondatta (a quirky fav of mine) on my own Top 50 album list.  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Thanks for following guys. Did someone say more reviews? OK

47 - Haken - Aquarius

One of the finest prog metal albums out there. Excellent instrumentation, great handling of time signatures, fantastic song writing, it has everything a good album needs. Some people complain about the circus theme but I actually enjoy it since it gives the album a somewhat distinctive sound. There is also something very particular with this album which is that it has growls which don't bother me at all.

Favorite songs: Streams, Point of no return, Eternal Rain

46 - David Bowie - Earthling

This album contains a weird mix of electronic music and rock yet as usual with David Bowie is it very easy to listen. At some points it ranges close to drum & bass, at some points it makes you want to get off the chair and dance, and at some points it's just more calm and soothing, always with that magnificent and strange voice Bowie has. And of course you can also find the more depressing side that also very characteristic of his.

Favorite songs: Little Wonder - Dead Man Walking - Law (Eatrhlings on fire)

45 - Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Only 2 songs in the album both above 20 minutes, ideally for those of us that are prog nerds. I the first song is one of the greatest prog epics I have heard, starting with The Exorcist theme just to bring a little bit of terror even though it's quite a cheerful piece of music, then slowly mutating into this more somber kinda thing and then all the end run where he starts pilling up instruments playing the same melody, it's just wonderful. The second part doesn’t quite hold up to its predecessor but it’s still a very nice song.

Favorite songs: Considering there's only 2...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
45 sounds really interesting, although I've never heard of it. Definitely seems worth trying out.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:07:03 AM »
45 sounds really interesting, although I've never heard of it. Definitely seems worth trying out.

You've never heard of Tubular Bells!? Listen to it. Now.

Great update, three fantastic albums, though I prefer other stuff by Bowie more. And of course Aquarius should be higher ;) :p
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:23 AM »
I like Tubular Bells, but prefer Ommadawn personally.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 01:41:59 AM »
Will follow. Nice to see Anathema.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
That Rolling stones album is pretty awesome, too bad not a lot of people like it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 04:58:35 AM »
What an awesome varied list.  I love it!  Following.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 08:22:16 AM »

You've never heard of Tubular Bells!? Listen to it. Now.

Yeah, do this

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
 :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
Even moar updates

44 - Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture

Neo-prog at its best. What I love most about Pendragon is how keyboard driven it is and how it manages to be prog but not necessarily complicated or super technical. In this album they are able to construct some very nice melodies followed by simplistic drum and bass lines which makes it very easy to follow while still maintaining it interesting. On other moments they can go to a more eclectic and changing kind of prog mixing calm with more all over the place stuff.

Favorite songs: As good as gold - Paintbox - Masters of illusion

43 - Sumo - After Chabon

"This album is in this list not only for its musical content but also because it brings some great memories. I was introduced to this band by my best friend when I was around 13 years old. At the time I was just getting to know him but eventually he would become one of the most important people in my life.
Music wise this band was similar to The Police in the sense that they mixed different music styles ranging from reggae, rock, pop, jazz, funk and even disco music. There’s also the fact that while being a band from Argentina, half their songs are sung in English which was very uncommon at the time they played. Even though the mix all this different genres their music is quite simple yet enjoyable. In this particular album you can find very calm and soothing songs, some upbeat tunes and even bagpipes."

Favorite songs: Crua Chan - Mañana en el Abasto - Hola Frank

42 - John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess - An evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess

This album might be the most overlooked that any DT member has participated in probably because it’s very unusual to hear JP and JR doing this kind of thing. The first thing that amazed me about this album is the fact that they are able to play all this stuff without having a bass guitar or a drummer to keep the rhythm. The second thing that caught my attention was that they would use so much acoustic sound which is also the biggest reason why I like this record so much. They do throw in some of their overly technical playing in there because we all know they can’t help it but they manage to keep it nice. And they play an LTE tune so it’s an automatic win.

Favorite songs: Furia Taurina - Fife and Drum - State of Grace

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
Well, I know few of these six albums (two, to be exact, Aquarius and the JP/JR one), but I might rectify that in the near future. Problem is, I've got so much to check out...

Anyway, I really like your writeups. Keep it up!  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:01 PM »
Very interesting start dude, the albums I know well (Anathema, Haken, Bowie and JP & JR) are really great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »
Overture is absolutely amazing!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
Thanks for following guys. :D Since I'm on a row here let's just put up some more reviews

41 - Pablo El Enterrador - Pablo el Enterrador

The first prog album from my country I was able to enjoy. I found this by chance while on the internet and listened to it because I found the CD cover funny. One of the best musical accidents ever to occur to me. The whole album is very keyboard driven and centers on the melodies more than anything. It has all the elements one expects to find in a prog album.

Favorite songs: Carrousel de la vieja idiotez - Ilusion en siete octavos - La herencia de Pablo

40 - Von Hertzen Brother - Love Remains the Same

Another fairly recent addition to my list. I came upon this band a couple of months ago and I have been unable to stop listening to them. These guys are able to put prog elements into some very accessible kind of music and mainly doing more up-lifting kind of things. There are both long songs which take some time to build up and some short right to the point stuff, both equally enjoyable. What’s really great about them is the vocal melodies, the 3 brothers all sing and their voices mix together in an awesome way.

Favorite songs: Bring out the sun (So Alive) - Freedom fighter - Faded photographs

39 - Iron Maiden - Powerslave

My favorite Maiden album by far. The riffs are awesome, Bruce is awesome, everything about this album is awesome. I specially like how they worked the insturmental sections. I don’t think I have much more to say since you all probably heard this album before. If you haven’t then you should do it now.

Favorite songs: 2 minutes to midnight - Powerslave - Rime of the ancient mariner

On a side note, I just realized the entrance to the pyramid is right were Eddies dick should be. Disturbing.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Nice list so far! Love Remains The Same is a great album and its cool to see that someone else enjoys it. It probably wouldn't make my top 50 but I still really like it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 01:15:12 AM »
can never go wrong with Powerslave, ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 04:17:23 AM »
Nice list so far! Love Remains The Same is a great album and its cool to see that someone else enjoys it. It probably wouldn't make my top 50 but I still really like it.

:laugh: Until now I thought I was the only one here that new them. I don't feel alone anymore.

Should be in every top 50.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »
Awesome to see Anathema and Bowie! :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »
Half of the stuff I don't know on those last two updates, but the other half is great.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
Powerslave is great. I don't know the other two.  :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
Yep.  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
38 - Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials

Another fairly recent addition to my top 50. I started listening to this record out of pure curiosity without knowing remotely what I was going to find. Lucky for me what I found was a great album filled with some very nice melodies, smart percussion and some of the most beautiful vocal melodies. I love the way the drums and the keys combine to generate great atmospheres that provide a perfect support to Florence’s beautiful voice which is what really drives all the songs.

Favorite songs: Shake it out - No light, no light - Heartlines

37 - Angra - Angels Cry

Talk about a mind blowing start. I was looking for power metal and the first thing I hear is this classical music perfectly executed which baffles me. And suddenly a metal riff comes in, the double bass soon joins and boom, my ass is being kicked by this awesome metal song. String arrangements everywhere, a singer that can reach really high notes, a powerful bass that holds the band together and two awesome guitar players. And if that wasn’t enough they manage to deliver prog beats here and there, execute some nice instrumentals and produce some uncommon up-lifting metal.

Favorite songs: Carry on - Time - Never understand

36 - Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

Probably the most easy going PT album. Lots of acoustic guitars, peaceful melodies and those particular atmospheres which I never really know if I find them uplifting or depressing. I think that’s what captivates me more about this album, how these two somewhat opposite feelings can coexist at the same time so perfectly. The album also contains some more rockish tunes and some Crimsonian prog.

Favorite songs: Last chance to evacuate planet earth before it is recycled - The rest will flow - Where we would be
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:36:46 PM by Nekov »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »
Lightbulb Sun  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »
Florence + the Machine and PT. Nice. :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
That Angra album is sensational, very underrated.  Lightbulb Sun ain't bad either.

Also dude, you've put your number 38 album as 33.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
angra on this forum = underrated. period.

angel's cry be one of my least favorite of theirs, but still very cool to see them in someone's top 50.