Author Topic: matt1722's Top 10 Albums v. Who is this guy . . . And why can't he count to 50?  (Read 12280 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I would put it at third, behind SDOIT and SFAM, but still a brilliant album.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains

Spot on!  :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Woohoo! Great to see some love for MM here. Eat Me Drink Me is good, though I prefer Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood.  :tup
Those are his only two albums I have much interest in, they're very solid, quite dark and exciting.

The other three albums posted are really good though! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Yeah, they're good, that's true.

Never thought that there would be appreciation for MM on DTF, tbh.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
6. Spock's Beard - V (2000)

This album is a very important one to me, It was my first Spock's Beard album and it really introduced me to Neal Morse. True I had heard of Neal Morse before mostly through Mike Portnoy and Transatlantic, Once I heard this album though I was hooked. Not to say that Neal Morse is the only member of Spock's Beard, No every member of Spock's Beard is extremely talented at what they do but in saying that, Neal Morse has a IMO really wonderful voice that really compliant's this type of music, and once I listened to this one it was on, I had to get all the Transatlantic CD's and the Spock's Beard (even though I knew from some Wikipedia research that Neal was no longer in the band) and the Neal Morse solo etc the list goes on. It just goes to show that Neal is pretty prolific, he's got quite a lot of music under his belt, as does every other member in Transatlantic.

The album though, V really does showcase what Spock's Beard can do it's got the sprawling epic(s), ("At The End Of The Day," "The Great Nothing,") The Progy songs, ("Revelation," "Thought's (Part 2)") and the more popier songs ("All On A Sunday," and I guess you could fit Goodbye to Yesterday in this category.) SB's really did make a perfect album here, and I feel like I've been saying that a lot, but again that's probably because these are my top ten albums. I'm bound to have a soft spot in my heart for them. If however your looking for an album that can be Heavy, Soft, Progy, and a lot in between V would be a good choice. Spock's Beard and V are truly staples in Progressive Rock.

Favorite Tracks: "At The End Of The Day," "Thought's (Part 2)" "The Great Nothing"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Very good album, probably my favourite from them!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Great choice there. I'd say it's my 3rd favorite from them
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Really good one. :)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Whatever. I&W is a masterpiece. Fuck the haters. :metal

:tup

Offline senecadawg2

Just when I thought the list could get no worse, DT!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ħ

American Idiot is a pretty good album. Nice pick! I don't get the prog hate for Green Day.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline senecadawg2

Offline adace

I respect Spock's Beard a whole lot, but I could never really get into their music.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Meh. Spock's Beard know their chops, but they never really did anything for me. Might check'em out again in the future.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
interesting list.. I like to see people with varied tastes in music.... following!...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
American Idiot really is a very good album, in my opinion.  I know that it isn't the latest album posted, but I had to comment on it, because I'm more than a little surprised to see love for Green Day on the DTF. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline adace

American Idiot really is a very good album, in my opinion.  I know that it isn't the latest album posted, but I had to comment on it, because I'm more than a little surprised to see love for Green Day on the DTF.
This. Haven't actually listened to it ages, but it's their best album IMO.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
5. System Of A Down - Mezmerize (2005)

System Of A Down is my favorite band, System Of A Down will always be my favorite band. What's the reason behind this though? System was one of the first bands that I ever got into, along with bands like Green Day and Marilyn Manson. Mezmerize was my first SOAD album, I kinda regret that one of their first three albums wasn't my first but hey what are you gonna do? The point of all this was, this band and this album were part of the reason that I got into the music that I got into and later on some of the music   that I would get into.

I almost included Hypnotize on this since Mezmerize and Hypnotize are technically a double album, but I decided I would just tell you guy's about it instead.  :P I remember when this album came out, there was a huge hit in B.Y.O.B I'm sure some of the members here remember this well maybe they do, I Don't know I'm just saying stuff for the hell of it now. Well anyway I can't lie, that was one of the contributing factors of me purchasing the album, don't get me wrong B.Y.O.B is an amazing song (even if it was overplayed a bit) but it helped me find and even more amazing album. This album is heavy as hell, but has periods of softness, there's even some humor in songs like "Cigaro" The Album ends with "Lost In Hollywood" an amazing song in it's self.

This album really did help to make me both the person and music lover that I am today. SOAD were one of the bands that showed me that you can do more with music if you choose to, not just the pop that you hear on the radio especially today. I've said it before and I'll say it again, System Of A Down is my favorite band, System Of A Down will always be my favorite band.

Favorite Tracks: All of them.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cool pick.  I'd rank at least Toxicity about Mezmerize, but if they're your favorite band, I'll hold on to hope that Toxicity is yet to come. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Whatever. I&W is a masterpiece. Fuck the haters. :metal

Agree with the Chef.  He knows his shit.  It made #1 on my list.

Well, except for that.

Nice to see some Spock's Beard love!  V isn't my favorite, but it's damn good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Mezmerize is cool, but both Hypnotize and Toxicity rape the shit out of it. Still, cool to see some SoaD here, every album that they've put out kicks major amount of ass, so I'll let it slide...  :tup

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
So before the next album I just want to thank everyone who is following and commenting . . . So yeah thank you.  ;D

4. Machine Head - The Blackening (2007)

So this is IMO THE quintessential thrash metal album. If there is such a thing as Progressive Thrash Metal, this is it. These song's are beautiful, brutal, and everything in between. This was my first Machine Head album . . . Yes I was late to the party again on this one, but yet again better late then never. The Blackening starts out with "Clenching The Fists Of Dissent" a huge sounding track about Robb Flynn's well Dissent for The war and the politics of the US. The album does not let up though, "Beautiful Mourning" starts of with Robb screaming "FUCK YOU ALL," The song's on this album cover a lot of topics. War, Religion, slander, and there's even a tribute to Dimebag Darrel.

With this album Machine Head have truely made a Thrash masterpiece, right up there with Master Of Puppets, Rust In Peace etc. etc. There is a lot going on here, there's a lot to take in and it takes a couple of listens to do so, but when you take it all in you'll be thankful.

Favorite Tracks: "Clenching The Fists Of Dissent," "Halo," "A Farewell To Arms"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
This is, imho, the zenith of Machine Head's career. There is not one bad song on this album, but I especially enjoy the longer songs (Clenching the Fists of Dissent, Halo, Wolves, A Farewell to Arms). Triple thumbs-up for this pick, though #4 is a bit high for it.

:tup :tup :tup

Offline senecadawg2

I have no opinion on the last two picks.  :-\

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Awesome, this list is really solid! Two excellent albums, probably the best from those two bands.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The Blackening is pretty fucking awesome indeed. Nice pick.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Mesmerize is amazing and SoaD is one of my favourite bands. :metal Haven't listened to much Machinehead.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
3. Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever (2001)

Transatlantic is the quintessential Progressive rock supergroup and Bridge Across Forever is the quintessential Progressive rock album. I feel like I've been using that word a lot but i definitely does fit in this situation. In my opinion Transatlantic have released nothing less then gold with the three albums they have put out and Bridge Across Forever is the cream of the crop. there are only four songs on this album with times ranging from five and a half to twenty six minutes, the album clocks in at 76:46 and there is not a bad second there. One of the things I love about this album is that it feels like one big ride, for example the "Motherless Children" section that's showcased in "Duel With the Devil" is repriced in "Suite Charlotte Pike" and then "Lost and Found Part one" and Part two being separated between the "Suite Charlotte Pike" and "Stranger In Your Soul" if other bands did this it might sound sloppy (then again it might not) but Transatlantic pulls if off flawlessly.

"Duel With The Devil" is the first epic on the album and it really does set the frame for the rest of the way. If you had a chance to listen to SMPT:e befrore Bridge Across Forever then you would know that Transatlantic are no strangers to epics and they do them very well, and they do not disappoint with "Duel With The Devil" of any song on this album.

"Suite Charlotte Pike" shows the band having a fun time, plain and simple. It starts out with the band . . .being interpreted with a loud WAZZZ UPPP and then they begin the song again. The little quips from the studio really make the song cool and a very fun listen, plus the song is extremely kick ass too.

"Bridge Across Forever" is the balled of the album I really do enjoy this song and it's nice to have more of a simple song between all of these huge songs.

"Stranger In Your Soul" is the heavier epic here and boy does in deliver. The song is my favorite on the album (although they are all ten out of tens for me) the song goes from heavy sections to more ambient soft sections, and it works extremely well here as well as every other song on the album.

I love everything that Transatlantic have put out, they do a wonderful job every time I'm hoping for a new album from these guys soon because as we all know More is Never Enough. I mentioned eariler that Transatlantic is the quintiessential Progressive rock band, that's a true statement (No Opinions needed  :lol) every Prog fan should listen to this band and album.

Favorite Tracks: Why all of them of course.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
My favorite Transatlantic album. The 3 epics are epics indeed

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni

Haha I felt like I used the word "epic" a lot and I usually am one to say that words overused, I don't feel to bad now though.  ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When something's epic the it's epic and there's no better way to describe epic than saying it is epic so you're cool, and epic

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
When something's epic the it's epic and there's no better way to describe epic than saying it is epic so you're cool, and epic

epic response right there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RjU7n277c epic song??? Well technically hey it's in the name.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Epic choice. Best Transatlantic album by far, though my favourite song (if you consider the parts of The Whirlwind as seperate songs) is still The Wind Blew Them All Away.

You're right, though - there's no bad track on this album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Nekov speaks the truth.

every Prog fan should listen to this band and album. 

Damn straight!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
2. The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (2011)

Gather round hippies, (If you didn't get the reference I'm sorry . . . there will probably be more like that) this is Deconstruction, and this is one helluva album. I remember the anticipation for this album . . . well I should it was only a year ago. Anyway it twas quite exciting waiting for this album and even more rewarding when it finally came. Most people know that both Deconstruction and Ghost were released on the same day, one of the cool things about that though, (besides the fact that we got over two hours of new Devy) was that these two albums were complete opposites, the calm, (Ghost) and the storm (Deconstruction). The opposite factor is very cool and it works well on back to back listens of the two albums.

Forget the calm for now though you bald guitar playing hippies, let us talk about the metal storm that is Deconstruction, and it is quite a storm. You've heard of the calm before the storm well that's just how this album starts, "Praise the Lowered" starts very calm and slowly escalates into the frenzy that the rest of the album will become. Yes Deconstruction if 70 minutes of pure metal, and pure genius. Devin Townsend does something quite amazing here, he turns chaos into complete organization. In these nine tracks Hevy Devy takes you on quite a journey, one that will chew you up and spit you out, but at the same time leave you completely fulfilled.   

Oh and All Hail Ziltioid the Omniscient, the ultimate fourth dimensional guitar Nerd . . .I mean God. 

Favorite Tracks: "Planet of the Apes," "The Mighty Masturbator," "Deconstruction"