Author Topic: Zantera's Top 20 Favorite Lost Episodes (Finished)  (Read 10115 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 20 Favorite Lost Episodes
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
Yeah, that episode hit me hard. I loved it. May very well be my favorite episode

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
The End is my favourite in all of Lost. I base my ranking mostly on in what sense the episodes affected me and this one did. Oh, boy it did. Having said that, the obvious Constant and Through the Looking Glass did as well, so I still expect them, probably with the latter on #1.

Good inclusion :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
The End is my favourite in all of Lost. I base my ranking mostly on in what sense the episodes affected me and this one did. Oh, boy it did. Having said that, the obvious Constant and Through the Looking Glass did as well, so I still expect them, probably with the latter on #1.

Good inclusion :tup

I completely agree with everything you have said here. The End made me so emotional.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
The Constant was such a great episode, probably my favorite.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
Great to see The Shape Of Things To Come (one of my favourites but didn't think it was particularly well regarded) and Walkabout up there  :tup The End is fairly good (I might even say it is very well done given the premise), but I could never rate it highly because I feel the part that deals with the actual plot, while pretty good, could have been much better, and because a large part of it is dedicated to a premise which is (in my opinion), very poor and drags down the entire last season. It's one thing for an episode to include a lot of stuff that is essentially pointless to the plot, but it's quite a feat to retroactively render a bunch of other footage from previous episodes that you thought must be important (or else why else would it be incuded?) utterly pointless.

But yeah, The End is a decent episode in itself, it's mainly the premise of the season itself that's bad - it just happens that The End is the one which reveals that premise and devotes most of its run time to it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
Yeah I was expecting that episode to get some mixed appreciation.
But this one, I think will be met with more united praise:

3. Through the Looking Glass - Season 3, Episode 22 (Jack-centric)

What an episode. This episode was packed with action, twists but also just being a very damn good episode overall. Even the people I know who hated Season 3 (or disliked it) still had very good things to say about this finale. Most fans seem to agree on it being one of the very best Lost-episodes, and I agree.

At the beach, the survivors are preparing for the big attack by the Others, by rigging the tents with explosives. When I first saw this, I felt so happy that the Others would finally get to taste their own medicine. Sadly, it doesn't work out 100%, but at least some of them get to eat sand. On the other part of the island, a group of survivors goes with Rousseau to find the radio tower, where the new stranger, Naomi can contact the freighter ship outside of the coast. Back at the beach, after only hearing two out of three explosions, Sawyer, Juliet and Hurley go back to help out. Hurley gets some redemption, after feeling useless and that he can't help anyone, he drives the Dharma-van right into the camp, causing turmoil. This situation is taken advantage of, and Sawyer finally puts a bullet in Tom Friendly.

Charlie and Desmond are on their way to the Looking Glass, a Dharma-station found underwater. Desmond has been having flashes of Charlie dying, so he wants to go down. However, Charlie knocks Desmond unconscious and decides to swim down instead. When he gets into the station, he is quickly taken hostage by two Others down there. They quickly share the information about this infiltration to Ben Linus, who sends Mikhail down there.
Desmond soon arrives and helps Charlie fight off these two Others, and learn that the code for the signal-blocker is actually notes from "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys. Charlie goes into the room to try and fix it.
Charlie is able to get contact with Penny, but she says that she doesn't know this Naomi, and that she doesn't know what Charlie is talking about. Mikhail appears outside and blows up the window, so water starts flowing in. Charlie closes the door so that Desmond wont risk drowning as well, and with the last powers he has, Charlie writes on his hand, and shows Desmond: "NOT PENNYS BOAT".
Back at the other survivors near the radio tower, Locke kills Naomi, and says that they shouldn't call the boat. However, Locke is unable to kill Jack, who communicates with the ship, who says they'll be sending rescue.

In the flashes, we get to see Jack go through a difficult time of his life. He is addicted to Oxycodone, he has a big bushy beard and seems very depressed, and also tries to take his own life.
He reads about the death of someone he knows which makes it even worse, and as he is about to jump from a bridge, a car crashes in the background. Jack instead goes to try and help the victim in the crash.
However, the brilliance of the flashes comes in the very last scene. It is revealed that the flashes aren't things that happened before the island, but instead happening after the island, revealing that some of them actually got off the island. Jack has a conversation with Kate, and Jack says that they should never have left the island.

Man, what a great episode. Normally it's easy in a tv-show like Lost to enjoy some of the stories but not all of them, since there's often several stories in each episode. In this one however, I loved all of them. The journey to the radio tower (that we hadn't seen before), the confrontation at the beach, Charlie and Desmond's trip to the Looking Glass, but also the flashes. What I loved about the flashes was the unexpected twist we got. While watching it, at first I thought he was depressed over his divorce, and then that the person who died was actually Sarah (we later find out it was Locke), so the whole twist in it was done perfectly. I also loved the part when Jack says "we should never have left the island" because it implied that the island was something special. That it was their destiny to do something special there, and by leaving that they had done something wrong. All in all just an excellent episode. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2012, 04:27:23 AM »
Up to that point in the series, it was my favourite as well. Good choice, it is a fantastic episode.

Somehow I expect The Constant on #1, mainly because it was the best single story-driven episode and that episode alone centralised the plot to Penny and Desmond and made their love one of the key aspects of the series. Also, The Constant, for the first time in the whole show, confirmed there was more to the island with Desmond's unsticking in time.

Well, I said more than I wanted to, it's your thread to discuss the episodes, particularly since it hasn't shown up on your list yet, but I used to be very passionate about the series as well so please excuse me  :biggrin:

That said, I have no clue what the other one is going to be.. Probably another series final? The Incident or Live Together, Die Alone? Or more likely, There's No Place Like Home? And if it's no season final, what have we left? Something like Dead is Dead or The Candidate?

I'm going to stick with Live Together, Die Alone at #2 and The Constant at #1, but we'll see :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 04:33:41 AM »
Damn, you're making me want to watch the whole show again and I don't really have time for that right now... plus I still need to see the last season of Dexter and Breaking Bad plus start with Mad Men...

Excellent list and writeups, I could never do something like this because I saw the whole show in a rush so I can barely tell seasons apart, much less episodes. I do remember the events in your writeups though and I agree they are some of the best. We'll see if your top 2 matches my favorite moments.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:50 AM »
4 amazing episodes in a row. This has inspired me to do a list on my own, but I'm not sure if I could even begin to pick 20 favorites.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »
I have a feeling that one of the episodes I have left will be very surprising, in fact I don't even think I've seen it mentioned.  :lol I won't spoil anything, but I think some will be surprised.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
 :tup Now that is a great episode.

To be honest I really hope The Constant doesn't appear, the most overrated episode of Lost (or perhaps anything ever). Probably will, not sure what the other one will be... so many great episodes it could potentially be. There's No Place Like Home?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »
Okay, time for another update, and probably the last for today. Don't worry though, I'll post number one as soon as I wake up tomorrow.  :lol
I'm sorry to disappoint you RuRoRul, but:

2. The Constant - Season 4, Episode 5 (Desmond-centric)

Generally regarded as one of the best Lost-episodes, in many cases even THE best. One of the episodes I'd say transcends the island and everything about Lost, while the tv-show has both lovers and haters, this episode sticks out in the way that I think even someone who doesn't care for Lost would still be able to appreciate it. It's the perfect example of Lost being such a fantastic Drama-show, on the emotional level. And in the end, one of the best things about Lost (as I see it) is the fact that it has so much variety. Emotional-episodes, Adventurous and mysterious episodes, action-episodes, and it often gave us the best of these different styles. The Constant is mostly the former, and being very good at it.

The story focuses mostly on Desmond and his relationship with Penny. When Desmond and Sayid are heading to the freighter, Desmond starts jumping between 1996 and 2004 mentally. He doesn't recall anything that has happened in between, which causes problems. In 2004 he has a conversation with Faraday who tells him that when he's back in 1996, he needs to go to Oxford University and find the younger version of Faraday, that might be able to help him.
While the "flashes" gets longer and more frequent, Desmond goes to find Faraday in 1996, and later realizes that he is stuck in a time warp. Faraday tells Desmond that he needs to find a "constant", a person present in both times that can serve as a kind of anchor, to stabilize his mind. Desmond fears that the jumping between two different time periods will give him a brain aneurysm, so he decides that Penny should be his constant.
Desmond goes to find Penny in 1996, but she is upset because he broke up with her. He manages to get her phone number though, and says that he will phone her 8 years later. Back in 2004, Desmond is finally able to get a hold of Penny, who says that she has been looking for him for 3 years. They reconcile before the power is cut, and as Desmond has created his own constant, his mind stops jumping.
On the island, Faraday looks through his notebook, and finds a message saying: "if anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant".

Okay, so I was quite taken away by this episode. There are so many good things about it, but if I had to name one thing, the best part of this episode, I would say Henry Ian Cusick, and his performance. Desmond is such a great character, and it's really in his centric-episodes that he shines the most. He's a funny guy in the gang, but when we get to his centric-episodes, there's so much more to him than just the classic quotes, or his great accent, or being awesome.
The whole love-card is often played out, and time travel is hard to pull off, but in this case I really think it works. The scene where Desmond calls Penny, and she answers - that scene was just such a joy. It was like breathing out, and thinking "he made it!". It's certainly one of the more unique episodes, and also less action and mystery, but on the emotional level it just brings the A-game. It's really something special.  :heart

Will be back with number one tomorrow, I feel fairly confident that it will surprise quite a few people. (and no, it's not Exposé)  :D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
I'm not going to lie, I got really choked up by the end of that episode. Desmond getting in touch with Penny was definitely one of the big highlights of the show.

Speaking briefly about the finale, I might have been the only one, but the whole Sawyer/Juliet thing never worked out for me, since in the early years they kept with this whole Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle and then they started teasing a possible Jack/Juliet relationship that when the Juliet/Sawyer thing happened, it seemed like it came from left field

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
My guesses:

The 23rd Psalm

ooorr

The Incident

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
Through the Looking Glass is my favorite episode. Hands down. It was the first time I was ever truly sad that a character on a TV show died.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
The Incident

I already called that and Zantera said his #1 hasn't been mentioned yet..
Squ

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »
Oh. Hmm..

The 23rd Psalm, or ? 

I 'm calling it

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »
Great list!!! Excited to see your No. 1. I'm guessing it will be a S1 episode like White Rabbit or Homecoming.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »
Oh. Hmm..

The 23rd Psalm, or ? 

I 'm calling it

You could actually be right, though I always thought The Cost of Living was Eko's best. That said, I wouldn't put it near a top 20. I really liked Eko's character, but his own episodes weren't THAT good, at least in my opinion.
Squ

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
 :lol I could have guessed. A good episode, just not one of my favourites so I never get why it tops all these lists :P No idea what is coming next, so difficult to guess any when there are still so many episodes of it left that are great for different aspects of the show.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
2 incredible episodes. Charlie's death is definitely one of the saddest deaths ever on any tv show I have seen. And the seen in which Desmond calls penny is also one of my favorites
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
Two of the best Lost episodes..

Fantastic television right there.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »
Hmm is there a season finale still available that hasn't been used yet?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
All I gotta say is, number 1 had better be brilliant, because The Constant is one of my favorite episodes of TELEVISION, ever. It's sublimely good.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:49 AM »
Okay. Time for the big surprise, an episode nobody could see coming!  :biggrin:

1. Man of Science, Man of Faith - Season 2, Episode 1 (Jack-centric)

An unknown man wakes up as he hears a beeping sound. He quickly jumps down from his bed, jumps on a chair, slides to the computer (which is revealed to be the source of the sound) and enters something. The sound stops.
He then goes to his vinyl-collection and picks out "Make Your Own Kind of Music" and proceeds on with the day by doing daily chores. He does the dishes, works out some and then takes a hot shower. He mixes up a protein-drink and injects himself with some form of medicine/serum. However, he is soon abruptly interrupted by the sound of an earthquake.
As he quickly runs around gathering his uniform, boots and weapons, it is revealed that this takes place down the hatch, and that the sound we just heard was Locke, Jack, Kate and Hurley in the end of Season 1 blowing up the hatch.

In flashbacks we get to see Jack and how he meets his future wife, Sarah. She has been in a car crash, but Jack manages to succeed with the operation, though he tells her that she may never walk again.
There's a lot going on in Jack's head, so he goes to run a "Tour De Stade" (running the stairs of a stadium), while running he falls and meets another runner, Desmond. Jack talks about his situation with Sarah, and how he feels like he has failed her, but Desmond tries to cheer him up. When Jack later goes to see Sarah, he finds out that she has recovered miraculously.
Back on the island the survivors are arguing about what they should do about the hatch. Locke wants to go down right away, but Jack thinks they should wait for the sun to go up. They head back to the caves to discuss it with the other survivors.
Locke however makes it clear to Jack that he will go down the hatch, and when he leaves, Kate follows.

Locke lowers Kate down the hatch, but she suddenly disappears and the hatch lights up. Jack decides to go after Locke and Kate. When he gets to the hatch, nobody is there, so he decides to go down. Down there he finds a mural on the wall, and the key he has around his neck is drawn towards the wall, revealing a strong magnetic force. After this he hears music playing, and he enters a bigger room that reveals computers and other interesting things, something you wouldn't expect to find on the island. Locke soon appears to be at gunpoint by the unknown man, who says that he will kill Locke unless Jack surrenders. When Jack refuses, the gunman steps out of the shadows, and it is revealed that he is in fact Desmond from Jack's flashback.

I think part of the reason why I rank this episode so high is because of all the fond memories I have attached to it. It may sound silly, but I think that other circumstances that happen simultaneously with something can make that memory even more powerful, or sort of boost the experience. (In the same way it can work negatively I suppose)
I had just watched through season 1 which ended with the big cliffhanger, and I wasn't able to watch Lost for a few days because I had lots of schoolwork. (took all the discipline I had to actually study instead of watching)  :lol
But when the Friday came, I aced my test in school and got the highest score, to celebrate this I picked up a Pizza on the way home, and watched the start of Season 2. I don't know if it was just the episode, the pizza OR getting full score on my test, but it all added into this episode being so damn good.
We finally got to see what was in the hatch, and we also got to see Desmond, who made a really strong impact on me right away. All I could think about after watching, was: "who is this guy?" and "how did he get to the island?". Because we didn't see him in Oceanic Flight 815, so this made me very interested in learning more about his origins.
I think the first minutes of this episode is probably the best start to a season ever, "Make Your Own Kind of Music" playing, Desmond doing his daily stuff when he is suddenly interrupted. Kinda like with the start of Season 3, nobody expected the first scenes to take place on the island itself, but then it was just like "holy shit, this is on the island!".
While The Constant was more emotional, and Through the Looking Glass being good in many aspects, Man of Science, Man of Faith just had me on suspense throughout the whole episode. It's very much possible that the other experiences I had surrounding the episode affected it, I couldn't watch Lost for a few days so it kinda built up expectations and "I have to watch more", and when I finally did it was even better than expected.
From what I've seen, this episode is generally regarded top20-material, but rarely this high.  :lol

So, thanks for following the list. It's been really cool doing it. If someone else wants to make one now or later on, I'll totally be following since Lost is so great. But for now I think that's it. So thanks to everyone.  :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Zantera's Top 20 Favorite Lost Episodes (Finished)
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2012, 03:06:01 AM »
Great choice :tup

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
The Constant is such an amazing episode!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
Great list!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
Great list. Desmond was my 3rd favorite character in the show, after Ben and Locke

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »
Wow, didn't expect that at all, no. Well, nice choice, though it wouldn't really be mine.
If I haven't spoiled too much already I might do one of my own some time, especially since I'm watching the whole series again (now with the mother, whenever I see her, currently halfway Season 4).

Thanks for doing this, it was a fun read and stuff :)
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
Thanks everyone! And Elite, I'll follow yours if/when you make it. :P

I want to re-watch the show as well, but I've currently started watching Fringe so I'll probably watch through that before going back to Lost.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
I decided to revisit this show and have just finished first season! Now i remember why the first season rocked so much! The characters development and the backstorys of each character is so well made and i love that!  :metal
It's also strangely exciting to see the show again even if you know how it will end. I think it's simply beacuse i actually haven't seen the first couple of seasons in atleast 4 years!  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
charlie's death never really rocked me, i really didn't like him. i liked shannon more to put it in perspective. dumb character imo. but the constant rules. desmond is awesome

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »
charlie's death never really rocked me, i really didn't like him. i liked shannon more to put it in perspective. dumb character imo. but the constant rules. desmond is awesome

Charlie was awesome....except for that whole "MUST BAPTIZE THE BABY!" thing and when he got all super dark and kidnapped Sun; Aside from those few storylines I loved charlie.

You all everybody (in charlies falsetto).
fanticide.bandcamp.com