Author Topic: Zantera's Top 20 Favorite Lost Episodes (Finished)  (Read 10076 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Zantera's Top 20 Favorite Lost Episodes
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Another great character and episode.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
I rather liked Jacob being a physical, real character. His overall motives and true intentions still remain somewhat elusive, and it adds a very human, flawed side to his plan that still ended in many characters experiencing death and heartbreak.

It's kind of tragic re-watching the series and realizing that most of what people (such as Locke and Ben) perceived to be Jacob was really the MiB's "long con" that ultimately ended in the realization that both Ben and Locke were pawns. Locke's martyrdom essentially saved the island (and the world), though, so his destiny was still fulfilled while fitting in with his own very tragic and pitiful life story.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
This might be a good time for me to admit that I never really understood the ending. Especially watching it all as it aired on TV, I was super confused through the last couple seasons. Particularly with the MiB and Jacob.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »
Exodus and The man Behind the Curtain are both brilliant episodes. Outlaws was good for what it was, but I wouldn't put it that high.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
I want to keep up with this thread but really scared to read posts other than the episode posts since I am only at season 5.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »
You don't want to be spoiled, I assure you.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
I want to keep up with this thread but really scared to read posts other than the episode posts since I am only at season 5.

Well, you can always read the choice since that's the "headline" anyway, and if it's a s5 or s6 episode you haven't seen, then just don't read more. :P
Also, will probably have time to post 3 more updates tomorrow.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 01:50:14 AM »
Alright, time to enter my top 10. And we start it with this episode: (also Sander it has some spoilers so be warned)

10. The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham - Season 5, Episode 7 (Locke-centric)

First episode in my top 10, is the high quality episode; "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" from the fifth season. This episode is in the first half of the season, and interestingly enough this is the last time we get to see the real Locke, alive and all. When the episode starts it is some time after the crash of Ajira Airways Flight 316, that took off in the previous episode. The plane has crashed on Hydra Island, the two minor characters, Caesar and Ilana are having a discussion about a man nobody has seen on the plane, that has been found. (referring to Locke) Locke explains that the last thing he remembers is dying.
The flashforwards focus on what happens to Locke after he turns the wheel in the episode; "This Place Is Death" two episodes earlier. After turning the wheel, Locke wakes up in a desert, and he is soon taken to a local hospital, where Charles Widmore comes to visit him. Widmore wants Locke to reunite the Oceanic Six (Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sun, Hugo and Aaron) and bring them back to the island. This is also when Locke gets the fake identity, "Jeremy Bentham".

At first, Kate, Hurley and Sayid all refuse going back to the island. Locke also visits Walt, and it's quite cool to see him again. Locke finds out that his old girlfriend Helen has died, and when he goes to the grave he ends up being shot at, so he drives away in panic only to crash the car. When he wakes up at the hospital, Jack is there. They talk about the island, and Locke tells Jack that Jack's dad is alive and well at the island, which makes Jack upset. Sensing that his work has been for nothing, Locke comes up with a drastic plan, to hang himself. It's possible that the death of him will reunite the gang. When he's right in the middle of doing it, Ben arrives. Locke tells about the plan to Ben, and explain about reuniting the Oceanic Six, and that Eloise at the Lamp Post will enable them to go back to the island. After this, Ben kills Locke and makes it look like a suicide. He also takes Jin's wedding ring which Locke was entrusted with by Jin himself. The episode ends with Locke (on the island) finding Ben among the passed out survivors.

Where to start with analysing this episode? It was just really good. So many interesting parts, I especially liked the flashforwards of the Oceanic-people, and seeing their lives cross out in the "ordinary". Seeing Locke trying to bring these people together was interesting, and the scene where Ben kills Locke has to be one of the more emotional and toughest scenes to watch, seeing such a beloved character die and all. That scene stood out as being really amazing, and that in an episode which was amazing overall. The flashforwards also gave us some understanding as for why the Oceanic Six did return to the island, but it also made me confused as to why Locke had died, and then being alive again on the island, but this is something we understood in S6. :P
Just a great episode overall, and my favorite episode from season 5.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:32 AM »
What an amazing episode. Season 5 had some of their best, forreal.

Ones I think will be in your top 10 (no order):

The End
Walkabout
The Constant
Ab Aeterno

I can't think of anymore right now.

I swear to fuck if Stranger in a Strange Land is in here..

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »
This might be a good time for me to admit that I never really understood the ending. Especially watching it all as it aired on TV, I was super confused through the last couple seasons. Particularly with the MiB and Jacob.

I've rewatched the series twice while reading various articles on Lostpedia, and it's helped me come to a greater understanding of the show as a whole.

Yeah, I know, it's probably more devotion to a TV show than necessary, but it was fun coming to what (I think) was a more concrete comprehension of what I was viewing on-screen.

The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham is orgasmic.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »
Great idea for a top 20. All wonderful choices so far.  Love Outlaws, Sawyer and the boar were hilarious.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 08:30:06 AM »
Great! :) Next up we have:

9. Ab Aeterno - Season 6, Episode 9 (Richard-centric)

The only Richard-centric episode there is, not only one of the best episodes in the sixth season, but one of the best episodes overall. I can't even begin to describe how psyched I was for this episode before I saw it. Richard was always one of the most interesting characters, and one of the reasons were because of how little we knew about him. He had always been there, in flashbacks, in flashforwards, being on the island during the Dharma-iniative times, but also during the Oceanic 815 crash times, looking the same. This episode would solve so many questions, when did Richard become "immortal", and how did he end up on the island? What was his story, his motives, and just about everything else. This episode is also unique in the way that it doesn't take place during several time frames, almost the whole episode focuses on Richard's story of how he ended up on the island, and what happened to him. And I think this is one of the best parts, that they don't rush it and have a few flashbacks here and there, but instead tells the story without interruptions.

In 1867, Ricardo lives with his wife in Tenerife. He comes home and finds his wife very sick, and since they live pretty remote, this causes problems. Ricardo rides off on his horse to find the nearest village with a doctor. This is a time when medicine is very expensive, and the doctor says he wont help Ricardo because he doesn't have enough money. They struggle over the medicine, and Ricardo accidentally kills the doctor. Ricardo's wife dies, and he gets arrested for the crime he has committed. In prison he's sentenced to get hanged, but is able to get out of it due to his ability of being able to speak English, and instead he is taken as a slave on board a ship, the Black Rock. During the journey, the ship is caught in a violent storm, and it smashes through a big statue on an island that we are very familiar with, and this also gives us the explanation as for what happened with the statue.

The following day, Ricardo wakes up and is immediately thrown into chaos when the Smoke Monster attacks the guards on the ship, killing everyone on board except for Ricardo himself. A few days pass, and the Man in Black appears, and frees Ricardo. He tells him that he must kill Jacob, and that Jacob is the devil. He also tells Ricardo that if he follows this, then he will see his wife again, and they will be reunited, and able to leave the island. When Ricardo goes to kill Jacob he is quickly overpowered by Jacob, who then explains the function of the island. Ricardo agrees to become Jacob's representative on the island, in exchange for immortality. Ricardo is later given the necklace of his wife by the Man in Black, who tells him that his offer still stands if he would change his mind. Ricardo buries the necklace.
Back in 2007, Richard goes to the burial-place. He shouts that he has changed his mind, and wonders if the offer still stands. Instead of getting a response, he is surprised when Hurley shows up. Hurley starts using his ability to communicate with the dead, in order to talk between Richard and his dead wife, explaining that Richard's wife wants Richard to stop the Man in Black. Richard changes his mind, and knows that he has to stop the Man in Black.

Where to start with this one? Nestor Carbonell. His performance in this episode is just brilliant. His portrayal of Richard is just gripping, and it's very easy to feel for the guy. His wife is taken away from him, and his whole life just breaks down in a few moments. It's very easy to understand his temptation to join the Man in Black, even though Richard is good inside, he has very little to live for, and his wife meant everything to him. His performance is very emotional, and being a more "minor" character normally, he shows that he is good enough to be the centre of an episode. The story is very interesting overall, we had hints before the episode, like the Man in Black telling Richard something like "nice to see you out of those chains", and also a lot of speculations about Jacob granting Richard immortality, things we got answered here. It was also nice seeing how the Black Rock indeed ended up on the island, and how it smashed the statue.
Apart from Richard being brilliant, I really enjoyed Titus Welliver and Mark Pellegrino as the Man in Black and Jacob. Their scenes were really good in this episode. While I can understand some disappointment for their scenes in "Across the Sea", I thought their scenes in this episode were more interesting.
All in all just a brilliant episode, emotionally gripping but also very exciting. One of the best episodes in S6, but also one of the best overall.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
Awesome episode, Richard always intrigued me. The biggest mystery of all: was he wearing mascara?

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »
That was definitely one of my favorite episodes. I would say that it is probably have it in my top 5.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
Could a wooden boat really destroy a statue and remain intact AND get that far on the island?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
Love this episode.

Could a wooden boat really destroy a statue and remain intact AND get that far on the island?

I think the hurricane/storm/tsunami was actually what caused both. That was the impression I got anyway.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
What a great way to start of your top 10. Bentham would be in my 20 most likely, but not in the top 10, but Ab Aeterno would certainly be among the best.

Awesome.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  :tup I thought I would pop in with the last update for today, and reveal number 8.

8. Orientation - Season 2, Episode 3 (Locke-centric)

Next up on the list we have another Locke-centric episode, and one of the early episodes of the second season, the third episode, "Orientation". The start of season 2 was phenomenal in my opinion, and this is one of the episodes that really stood out. We had already been introduced to the Dharma-bunker, or the Swan station if you prefer that. We had already been introduced to Desmond, but the curiosity about the station's purpose and the mystery behind the numbers: "4 8 15 16 23 42" were yet to be answered.

In flashbacks we get to follow Locke in a difficult time of his life. He's participating in a support-group where he meets Helen for the first time, and they get romantically involved. However, Locke is haunted by the actions of his father, and often parks his car outside his father's house, just sitting there looking at it. One night when he does this, his father comes out and confronts him, and tells him that he isn't wanted. As time passes, Helen and Locke's relationship is getting stronger, and to celebrate 6 months together, Helen gives Locke the key to her house, on the condition that he stops stalking his father. Locke agrees to this, but is unable to hold his word, and Helen confronts him about this. She wants Locke to take a leap of faith.

Back on the island, most of the story revolves around the Swan station and the numbers. Kate manages to disarm Desmond, but he manages to accidentally fire, and damages the computer in the process. With the clock counting down, Desmond informs Jack, Locke and Kate that unless they fix the computer, they will all die when the counter hits zero. While Kate goes to fetch Sayid, Desmond tells his story for the others, about how he ended up on the island, about the man who pushed the button before him, and that the numbers need to reset every 108 minutes, otherwise it will be "the end of the world".  Jack and Locke watches the (now) classic Orientation-video, where Dr. Marvin Candle explains about the station. While Jack thinks this is only some form of social experiment, Locke thinks they should believe it.
Desmond later runs off into the jungle, not wanting to have the button-duty anymore. When Jack follows him to confront him, Desmond recognizes him from before when they met at the stadium from flashbacks in "Man of Science, Man of Faith".
Sayid fixes the computer right before the counter has counted down. Locke tells Jack that he should push the button but he refuses, and Locke asks him to take a leap of faith. Jack pushes the button right before the counter is down, and it resets.
Across the island, Michael and Sawyer come across Jin who is chased by who he refers to as "the Others" (which we later find out is the tailsection survivors). The episode ends with a climax since we all wonder what will happen with these guys.

I'm not even sure where to begin. Lots of great stuff in this episode. The mysterious numbers, pushing the button, Desmond being Desmond. Seeing "the Others", though it wasn't them, but at the time I really thought it was.  :lol Lots of subtle things in this episode that I loved. For instance, how Locke tells Jack that he should "take a leap of faith", which was the same thing Helen told Locke in the flashbacks. Getting to know more about the Dharma-initiative, but also great flashbacks. Locke really shines in this episode, and the ending at the bunker really left us with a big question; "what happens if the counter reaches 0?", a question we would later find the answer to.
Season two started out phenomenal, and this was one of the episodes that really stood out.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
Hmm, I never really got the love for this episode. Yes, it does reveal some things, but on the other hand doesn't really and in fact leaves you with more questions. I don't know, I never thought it was that special. It did however start season 2 very well, but because that's probably also my least favourite season, I guess I never really took the time to fully appreciate this episode.

Then again, I'm one of those people that think Sundown (season 6) was one of the most awesome and badass episodes of the entire serie, but that one didn't really move the plot forward at all. A fine pick, I guess, though I definitely wouldn't rank it that high.

Also relevant: FOUR EIGHT FIFTEEN SIXTEEN TWENTY-THREE FORTY-TWO
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »
Understandable that we wont agree on everything. While I really liked both S2 and S3 myself, I know both seasons have their share of dislikers as well. :P
Anyhow, next pick:

7. Deus Ex Machina - Season 1, Episode 19 (Locke-centric)

Another Locke-episode? Yes you heard me. I've said it earlier, but apart from Locke being one of my favorite characters in Lost, I always loved his episodes. They were often some of the best written, and he is a character that I really felt for. He went through a lot, and it was quite emotional to see. This episode takes place before the previous pick, and is one of the latter episodes of the first season. "Deus Ex Machina" is not only a really good song by the progressive rock band Pure Reason Revolution, but in this case also a brilliant Lost-episode. By the time I had gotten this far in season 1, I was really looking forward to this episode, since Locke had become a favorite at the time.

In flashbacks we get to follow Locke in a time of his life before he was bald, and before he was in a wheelchair. Locke works in a store, and comes across a woman. He later sees this woman watching him in the parking lot, and when he confronts her, she reveals that she is his mother. While she doesn't want to say anything about Locke's father, he's able to do some digging and finally comes across Anthony Cooper, his real dad. When Locke visits his father he is welcomed, and they quickly develop a strong bond. Anthony takes Locke out for hunting, which happens several times.
One day when Locke arrives at his father's house, his father reveals that he isn't well, and that he needs a kidney. Locke is very taken by this whole situation and offers one of his kidneys to save his father's life. When Locke wakes up at the hospital after the surgery, his father has already signed out and abandoned him. It's all revealed to be one big scam, and when Locke goes to see his father, the guard denies him entry. As Locke drives away, he breaks down over this betrayal.

On the island, Locke and Boone are working really hard at opening the hatch. They've constructed some kind of device that will help them, but it fails to open the hatch. Locke has a vision about a plane crashing in the jungle, so he and Boone goes to look for it. Shortly after they find the smugglers plane crashed up in a tree. Locke has lost the ability to use his legs, so Boone goes up to search through the plane. While up there, Boone tries to send out a distress-call on the radio, but he actually manages to talk to the tailsection survivors (or was it the Others?) without knowing it. Shortly after, the plane falls down and Boone is badly injured. By summoning all his strength, Locke manages to carry Boone back to the caves and Jack, since Boone is in desperate need of medical help. Instead of staying around, Locke goes back to the hatch. He bangs it in agony, and suddenly it lights up.

Man, what an amazing episode this was. The flashbacks are among my favorites, the story about how Locke meets his father only to be betrayed is very moving, and it's quite emotional to see. Terry O'Quinn puts on a strong performance as Locke in this episode, and he's just brilliant in all scenes. This was the first episode co-written by Lindelof and Cuse I believe, and they went on to write many more fantastic episodes after this one.
This is also one of the last times we see Boone, a character that was never that exciting for me, but his death certainly affected many of the other characters. All in all just a fantastic episode, and it has some classics scenes, like when Locke goes to his father's house at the end, only to be denied access, later when he breaks down in the car, or the very last scene where the hatch lights up. Quality stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 05:41:02 AM »
The best in Season 1, save for Walkabout and maybe the final. Great choice :)

My predictions for the remaining six:
- Walkabout
- Through the Looking Glass
- The Constant
- The Shape of Things to Come
- Happily Ever After / The Candidate (one or the other)
- The End

---

And on a side note; I'm curious how you would rank the seasons. Can you show me? :)
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 05:49:53 AM »
Interesting guesses. :P Sure, but before I try to rank them, I consider them to be pretty even. The seasons I rank lower could just as easily have been higher, overall I think Lost has high lows.

Would probably rank the seasons something like this:

So while 3 is the lowest for example, I still really enjoyed it. It had some of the best episodes of Lost, but also a few episodes like "Exposé" which I didn't care for that much. What about your ranking? :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2012, 06:12:46 AM »
Probably something like this:

I really loved the pace at which seasons 4 and 5 moved forward and the way some things were finally resolved. Season 1 is that high, because, well, it just is really good. I didn't realy like season 2 and season 3 had a lot of filler without progressing the storyline very much. Overall, I think season 4 has some of the best episodes, with The Constant, The Shape of Things to Come, Cabin Fever ( :heart, how did I forget this in my guesses!?) and There's No Place Like Home and Season 5 was really cool, because of the time-travelling madness. Six started out not very good but the resolve was awesome. 3 Had a little too much filler and 2 didn't really do it for me.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
So while 3 is the lowest for example, I still really enjoyed it. It had some of the best episodes of Lost, but also a few episodes like "Exposé" which I didn't care for that much.

but... but... I thought Exposé would be number one...  :'(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »
Exposé really isn't that bad. I thought it was a fun little episode that was different from others. The whodunit style of it and the cruelest death in all of Lost was pretty good in my opinion. Definitely not the worst lost episode and actually not close to being the worst either.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
It's not the worst, but on the other hand not one of the better either. I can definitely see what they were trying to do with Nikki and Paulo, there were lots of people involved in the crash, yet we had only seen the "core" people do things. I thought the ending of Exposé was quite good, but otherwise two characters I didn't really care for, and the episode didn't do much plotwise either.
It's alright I suppose. Not bad, but not one of the better either. :P
Also, Elite.. interesting how we both rank Season 2. I can see your view, personally there were lots of things that made me love it, like the whole Dharma-question with the Swan station, Ben Linus and his appearances in the second half, also seeing more of Tom Friendly and the Others. Also some Mr. Eko stuff.
Anyhow, time for another update:

6. The Shape of Things to Come - Season 4, Episode 9 (Ben-centric)

The first season 4 episode to appear on the list. Now you're thinking "will there be more season 4 episodes?" and I'll just say this, you'll just have to wait and see.  :biggrin: Season 4 of Lost sticks out because it's the shortest season of the tv-show, only having 14 episodes. This season being shorter than the others is both good and bad, the good thing is that we have less filler episodes, and more stuff is happening. On the contrary, some things felt perhaps a tiny bit rushed. Nothing major, just the impression I had. Still, the season was really good, and for most people it was the best since S1 or S2.

"The Shape of Things to Come" is a Ben-centric episode, and the second Ben-centric episode chronologically. In the flashforwards, we get to follow what happens to Ben right after he has moved the island, which happens in the finale of season 4. (so we haven't actually seen it yet) He wakes up in the Sahara Desert, wearing a winter jacket. When two armed men shows up, he kills one of them and knocks the other one unconscious, and takes one of their horses. He then rides to the nearest village. Later we get to see Ben in Iraq, attending the funeral of Sayid's now dead wife, Nadia. When Sayid confronts him, he tells Sayid about a man that is responsible for killing her. Sayid proceeds to kill this man, and Ben later recruits Sayid as an assassin. Later we get to see Ben in London, showing up at Charles Widmore's place. Ben says that he wont kill Charles, but instead kill his daughter, Penny, in retribution for what happened with Alex. Just before Ben leaves, Charles says that the island is his, and that he will take it back.

Back on the island, the corpse of the doctor on the freighter washes ashore. When Faraday calls the freighter it is revealed that the doctor is actually fine, and when Jack push Faraday for answers, he reveals that the freighter was never sent there to pick up the survivors at all.
On the other side of the island, the gang of mercenaries led by Keamy has Alex held hostage. When they're taking her to Dharmaville, she sets off a silent alarm that warns Ben, Locke, Hugo and Sawyer that the mercenaries are coming.
When the mercenaries arrive, Keamy says that unless Ben walks out of the house, he will kill Alex. When Ben tries to negotiate, Keamy kills Alex, leaving Ben shocked.  Shortly after this, Ben rushes into a hidden room where he summons the Smoke Monster, which kills most of the mercenaries, with the other running into the forest.
The episode ends with the group splitting up, and Ben, Locke and Hugo going to find Jacob.

With the risk of sounding repetitive, Michael Emerson is just brilliant in this episode. Ben is a character used to getting what he wants, being very good at manipulating other people. The scene where he tries to negotiate with Keamy, and Keamy kills Alex comes as a surprise. I was quite shocked myself, normally in a situation like that (in a tv-show), the "good" person always manages to save the person held hostage, but in this case it goes wrong. The flashforwards are interesting, but it's only now afterwards that I realize how interesting they were. We get to see Ben wake up in the desert, but it's only after seeing the S4 finale that we understand that this takes place just after he turns the wheel.
It was also really interesting to see when Ben summoned the Smoke Monster. That "device" or whatever you want to call it was always interesting, because it made me wonder about it's purpose. What was it? Why was it there? We didn't really learn more about it, I believe they revisit that hidden room once more or so (or am I wrong?) but nothing more than that. Would have loved getting more information about it, but I guess it remains one of those interesting mysteries.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
Another great Ben episode.  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
Yes, yes, yes. Amazing episode! Probably in my own top 5.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
Sorry for the slack, I got really tired yesterday and fell asleep, and now I've been sort of busy so far during the morning, but should be okay now. I'll probably have another update later tonight, but right now I'm here with number 5.

5. Walkabout - Season 1, Episode 4 (Locke-centric)

"Don't tell me what I can't do!"

So, first episode as we enter the top5, we have "Walkabout", the first Locke-centric episode in Lost, and also the fourth episode overall. Is this the best Locke-centric episode? It's a tricky question to answer, as you've noticed so far on the list, there are quite a few Locke-centric episodes, and there are certainly several really good ones. However, this one is my current favorite out of them, and so good that it deserves it's place in the top 5.

In flashbacks we get to see Locke working at a box-company, in an office. He has a cruel boss that often taunts him and says demeaning things, but at one point Locke stands up to his behaviour, and feels good about it. He talks to a woman on the phone about it, and he has plans on going on a walkabout.
Later, we get to see Locke at a traveling-store. One of the leaders on the walkabout says that they can't take Locke with them, and that he simply can't do a walkabout in his "condition". Locke is revealed to be in a wheelchair, and he says the classic line: "Dont tell me what I cant do", but has to face the facts that he can't go on this walkabout. Finally we get to see him after the crash, Locke wakes up on the beach and is able to move his toes.

The survivors have now spent 4 days on the island after the crash, and the food supply is running short. Locke reveals a big knife-collection, and says that they should hunt for boars. On this hunt, Locke is accompanied by Kate who will help Sayid to triangulate the signal they heard earlier, but also Michael, who is later attacked by a boar and hurts his leg.
Kate leads Michael back to the beach, but suddenly the Smoke Monster appears, though they don't get to see much of it, they hear it. It goes after Locke, and he stares into it, and later the Smoke Monster is gone, but Locke is still alive and well.
Back on the beach when Kate informs Jack about what happened, Jack sees his father and tries to follow him. Instead they find Locke who has catched a boar. The episode ends with the survivors burning the remains of the plane and eating. Locke sees the wheelchair burn, and smiles.

Quite tough to describe what makes this episode so good. It's a pick that I think most people would agree on, this episode being one of the best in season 1. This is really the first good glimpse we get of Locke in the tv-show, and he went on to become one of the most interesting characters of the first season. While Jack had a more "passive" leadership, being more drawn back, wanting to stay on the beach/in the cave, Locke was more of an adventurer. I think one of the things I liked about Locke was that he didn't stay back and just chill at the beach, he was always exploring the island and learning more things. On the island he was allowed to be the person he wanted to be, which he couldn't be back in his old life, both because of being paralysed, but also due to having a boring day job. On the island he was allowed to do what he believed he was "born" to do, and it's understandable why Locke never wanted to leave the island.
Some great emotional scenes like when Locke gets denied the chance to go on the walkabout, but also interesting seeing him hunt boars. Just a damn good episode overall.  :hat

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:07 AM »
Awesome pick, Z!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
Exposé really isn't that bad. I thought it was a fun little episode that was different from others. The whodunit style of it and the cruelest death in all of Lost was pretty good in my opinion. Definitely not the worst lost episode and actually not close to being the worst either.
Agreed.

Exposé is really not that bad.  It's one of those relatively pointless Lost episodes that still manages to be fun and entertaining, kinda like Tricia Tanaka Is Dead.  It's middle of the pack for me, actually maybe a bit higher.  It was memorable, that's for sure.

Stranger In A Strange Land is a much, much worse episode than Exposé in Season 3.  Actually, that's easily the worst episode in the entire run.

Interesting list so far.  I agree that most of these are pretty fantastic episodes, though Sawyer's Boar Hunt is certainly an odd choice.  Across The Sea wouldn't make my list, actually it would make my least favorite list, but that's me.

My season ranking is as follows:
2 (really close between 2 and 5)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »
Most people ranking S3 pretty low, I'm not that surprised, but I do like it myself.
Okay, next update. Top3 tomorrow, and this update is a bit earlier because I'm watching the game between Italy and Spain later.

4. The End - Season 6, Episode 17 (Various)

"See you in another life brother"

"The End", the end of the road, the season 6 finale of Lost, and the last episode of the tv-show. Apart from "Across the Sea", I don't think there has been a bigger fan-divider, I'd say half the people I've seen loved this episode, meanwhile the other half felt disappointed by it. I was a bit afraid before that the episode wouldn't live up to my expectations, but it managed to, and even exceeded them. Before I even begin to describe my thoughts on the episode, I'll just recap what happens for those who haven't seen it in a while.

The part on the island picks up with the big Jack versus the Man in Black-story, they are both headed to the heart of the island. While there, Desmond is lowered down, and "unplugs" the big rock blocking the water. The island starts to fall apart, but Jack decides to hunt down the Man in Black. As a side-effect to the island not having the "heart" anymore, the Man in Black has also lost his powers and become mortal. Jack manages to fight him down on the cliffs, Kate shows up and shoots him, and Jack is able to kick him off the cliffs. Jack goes back to the heart of the island, and he finds the unconscious Desmond, and Jack is able to plug the stone back in, saving the island. However, Jack is badly injured and is slowly dying. As he walks through the forest, he falls down on the same spot where he first woke up on the island. Vincent runs up to Jack, and stays with him. Jack sees the Ajira plane fly over his head, as he closes his eye and dies.
In the side-flashes, we get to see Desmond collect the Oceanic 815-people, and as they are reunited, they slowly start to remember about their lives on the island. They all go to a church where they all meet up. Christian (Jack's dad) has a conversation about Jack, and he tells him that this place was created so that they could all find each other in the afterlife. As Christian opens the doors, the church is surrounded by light.

I'm not the type of person who cries while watching movies or tv-shows, and it often takes a lot for me to feel really sad or emotionally affected. But in this case the episode just hit me like a brick wall. These were all characters I cared about. Some of them more, some of them less, but as a group of people, the adventures they had been through over the course of these 6 seasons, it was quite extraordinary.
The conclusion on the island was both surprising and not, while characters had died in the show before, I doubt many people would have expected Jack to die. While the episode as a whole was very satisfying, I really liked how the characters had their flashbacks and started remembering their old lives, and how Desmond managed to collect everyone. While the major part of the episode was really great, I felt like the ending, the last ~10 minutes or whatever were the best minutes. The church-scene (together with the beautiful music) was really sad to see, but also very uplifting. Seeing all the characters reunited again, even minor ones like Shannon and Boone, but just seeing everyone together. I thought the way they were embraced by light was a beautiful moment. I'm not religious myself, and I'm not even sure I believe in the afterlife, but it was really well executed. The ending that took place on the island was just perfect. I loved it how they closed the circle, Jack dying at the same place where he first woke up on the island, Vincent being next to him, and how he sees the plane and then closes his eyes. I really feel like Lost had the perfect ending.

With that said, I know a lot of people criticize this episode for not giving all the answers. I don't think people should blame this episode. By the time we got to the finale there were literally tons of questions that hadn't been answered, mostly minor ones, but to even expect that they would all be answered, that was having really high hopes. Instead of ending with a cliffhanger or something mysterious, they decided to go on a more emotional-focus, and it really worked.
Lost was never about the island, it was about the characters. While the island was one of the big things that made it interesting (because it was mysterious), the characters were the main focus. What was amazing over these 6 seasons was seeing how the characters evolved. They all had luggage coming to the island (problems in their old lives), and on the island they could escape ll of that and create bonds with each other. In that sense, I think the ending was well done.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
I can't read this thread cause I'm still watching the show for the first time, I'm in season 2 now. But I'm looking forward to checking this thread as soon as I'm done with the whole show.
Answer me this one thing though, does the fuckin writers have a plan? I mean is there a point to the mysteries or is the mystery itself is the point? cause it's really starting to feel like the writers are starting to make it up as they go and don't have a clear vision of the grand plan the show gives the impression of. It's kinda starting to feel like the last two seasons of Battlestar Galactica.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
From what I've seen/heard from Lindelof in different interviews they had parts of the plan completed, but had to alter some things along the way. The viewers feedback added to this, if loads of people wanted something, then the writers perhaps changed a bit or added a bit. It wasn't until S3 or so when they decided it would be six seasons, that the writers started working more on a "major plan".