Author Topic: Why do I keep losing wi-fi signal?  (Read 469 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Why do I keep losing wi-fi signal?
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
I have a cheap wireless 30 dollar Netgear router that I use for wi-fi at home. One computer is connected to it via cat5, one connects wirelessly, and then I use the wi-fi for my phone as well. The problem is, about once a day, my cell phone is unable to connect to the network. On my phone, it hangs up at the "Obtaining IP address" stage. The only way I know to fix this, and it's fairly annoying, is to go into the router admin page, go to "wireless settings," and then reapply the settings. After that, it works for another day or so.

Anyone know what the hell's going on?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Why do I keep losing wi-fi signal?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
I don't know if this is the cause of it BUT

I use 2Wire routers....but I've heard it's the same for all. They come with very VERY cheap power supplies (the wall unit big back square plug) and die within a year. THere is a resister that blows in the unit, or begins to and the router, sensing and diagnosing less than full power, fades in and out.

People end up throwing out perfectly good routers in favor of new ones. The worst part is, is that the router manufacturers know it, and they purposefully make the power supply with an odd sized tip.............negating you from going to Radio Shack and getting a "standard" and better made replacement. They'd much rather you go out and get a new router.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Do you have an internet provider such as earthlink or time warner? If so, when the airwaves are busy, my wi-fi usually cuts out.
The router is probably crap, I'd suggest getting a new one if you can't solve this, even though that's what the companies want you to do. I got a new router (cisco, around $70 or someting, a little steep, but worth it), and my internet is much more stable now.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Because of my room layout, my main computer is connected via wi-fi. Even when my phone won't connect, my computer will. I'm wondering if it has to do with going out to other places that have wi-fi, then coming back home, and that causes something to go screwy when it tries to re-obtain the IP address my router already assigned to it.
Listen! Do you smell something?