Author Topic: What is the most overrated band/artist here on DTF?  (Read 19269 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: What is the most overrated band/artist here on DTF?
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
...Akerdactyl...

i lost it laughing for some reason. tears and everything.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »
Megadeth, I can't stand David's voice on most songs, and aside from a few classic songs, I just don't really like em.
Aside from that I can't really say any other band is over rated, I mean yeah I may not enjoy it, but I can see how others might, so I look at music from that perspective.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »
Steve Wilson for sure. Claims he is a genius are way far off the mark.
Average vocals, guitar decent, but he gets raves for his producing, which is nothing more than par.

Devin Townsend, ever since I heard him ruin Vai's S&R album, I've never understood the fuss about him.

Pain of Salvation, first 3 albums great, the rest is absolute drivel.

Spocks Beard, could stand them with Morse, can't stand them now and can't stand NM solo stuff either.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
devin's contributions to S&R is the only devy work ive ever gotten into, save for kinda getting into terria circa its release.

said contributions to S&R slay.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:20 AM »
y so many people think devin is overrated :<
I love beautiful things.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:07 AM »
The Dear Hunter. By PARSECS.
This. Also the following: Queensrhyce, Marillion, Spock's Beard, Fate's Warning, The Offspring (probably the most overrated one of them all)

Fates Warning hardly ever get talked about.  I only made a thread for them a couple of months ago.  if anything they are very underrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 02:46:05 AM »
Also, my vote goes to Devin Townsend.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »
Steve Wilson for sure. Claims he is a genius are way far off the mark.
Average vocals, guitar decent, but he gets raves for his producing, which is nothing more than par.
I dunno if I'd call his producing/mixing abilities nothing more than par. He's definitely capable in that department.

For me, Devin Townsend isn't bad, just unremarkable. From the bits and pieces I've heard, he's a capable singer, and the music is okay, but his stuff just does nothing for me. I think a good part of the problem is his wall-of-sound style just makes everything sound thin and samey and bland.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 03:06:16 AM »
I agree.  I actually like him, I have quite a few of his solo albums along with a few SYL albums.  Just most of his stuff doesn't really grab me at all.  Still interesting and creative and I could see how people could really like his work.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 03:07:06 AM »
how wall of sound makes everything sound thin fluffy?
im a huge devin fan, but its interesting to see diffrent opinions :)
I love beautiful things.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »
I'm not sure if I can describe it. It just makes the music sound very... compressed? I got the feeling occasionally that with a different production, I could possibly start to get into his music, but the way it's done sucks the appeal out of it for me.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
My vote also goes to Devin Townsend. To me, he seems like the type of musician who can produce a good album every 2-3 years but he doesn't want to. He instead releases two albums per year with  lots of filler content. He has some good ideas, sometimes even with full songs that are really good, but they are overshadowed by the unfinished-sounding majority of his albums.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »
Devin Townsend doesnt have any fillers in his albums tbh.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »

Try Accelerated Evolution or Synchestra.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

Try Accelerated Evolution or Synchestra.
i love every single song in both of them. i cant see any fillers, sorry.
I love beautiful things.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »
I like Porcupine Tree as well, but lets face it SW can't guitar solo his way out of a paper bag.  some of those songs are really so good and then you get to the solo and it's like "whaa?  my 8-year old kid could do a better job..." 

Also have to jump on the Opeth overrato-wagon.

And Circus Maximus, yes I just went there.

I know it's not a great start to have one of my first posts piss off the DTF masses, but oh well.  I promise I'm not a troll.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
I like Porcupine Tree as well, but lets face it SW can't guitar solo his way out of a paper bag.  some of those songs are really so good and then you get to the solo and it's like "whaa?  my 8-year old kid could do a better job..." 

Also have to jump on the Opeth overrato-wagon.

And Circus Maximus, yes I just went there.

I know it's not a great start to have one of my first posts piss off the DTF masses, but oh well.  I promise I'm not a troll.

How is Circus Maximus overrated when most of the forum hates them or writes them off as DT clones?

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »

How is Circus Maximus overrated when most of the forum hates them or writes them off as DT clones?

Hey, that's cool.  I think they do get high marks from a lot of people for being the most like DT of anyone, at least that's my impression.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »
Steven Die iPods Wilson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
Adrenaline Mob.  How does a band that crappy have a thread 52 pages long? :P ;)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 09:18:45 AM »
Adrenaline Mob.  How does a band that crappy have a thread 52 pages long? :P ;)

Inb4 Mike Portnoy and Russell Allen.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
y so many people think devin is overrated :<

While I didn't, I can understand why the reactions some people may have to the raves his music gets here are considered overrating him. While I think The Dear Hunter and Steven Wilson are more overrated here, I'll flat out say it: Deconstruction is the most overrated album here. When it leaked the Devy thread treated it like the second coming, and more than one person said it was the best metal album ever. If you're not really a fan of his-and he's fallen out of favor with me over the past few years, I thought every one of the DTP albums but Ghost was just average-you're going to read that and think, "Christ, this guy is overrated."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »
The Beatles, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Blackfield, Pink Floyd, Pain of Salvation, Feist, Boards of Canada, Animal Collective, M83, Metric, Gotye, Kimbra, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, Ozzy, Marillion, Haken, Ayreon, Opeth, Anathema, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Adrenaline Mob, Symphony X, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Between the Buried and Me, Animals as Leaders, Protest the Hero, Thrice, Scale the Summit, Liquid Tension Experiment, KISS, Coheed & Cambria, The Dear Hunter, Manchester Orchestra, Y&T, Devin Townsend, Shpongle, Strapping Young Lad, Death, Atheist, Aphex Twin, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Heart, Talk Talk, Emilie Simon, Emilie Autumn, Sarah Fimm, Fair to Midland, The Who, Alice Cooper, Slayer, Anthrax, Cinderella, Dokken, Motley Crue, Tool, Isis, Russian Circles, Carley Rae Jepsen, GWAR, Rebecca Black, Lady Gaga, The Pineapple Thief, Halestorm, Alestorm, Periphery, Katatonia, Stratovarius, Scorpions, Fates Warning, Alter Bridge, Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, Joy Division, New Order, Neutral Milk Hotel, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Linkin Park, Guns N Roses, Pendulum, Spock's Beard, Skrillex, Anamanaguchi, John Mayer, Nevermore, Buckethead, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Chickenfoot, Avantasia, Neal Morse, Flying Colors, HAIL!, Mr. Big, Racer X, Paul Gilbert, Karnivool, Tori Amos, OSI, Sonata Arctica, Madonna, David Bowie, Gojira, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Dog Fashion Disco, Polkadot Cadaver, Sigh, Ulver, Eisley, Saxon, Theocracy, Accept, Blood Stain Child, Grayceon, Giant Squid, Mastodon, Neurosis, ZZ Top, Nick Drake, Jeff Buckely, Hans Zimmer, Arcade Fire, My Morning Jacket, Bright Eyes, Conor Oberst, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, The Dillenger Escape Plan, Ne Obliviscaris, Queen, Nine Inch Nails, Storm Corrosion, Pure Reason Revolution, Camel, Can, Kraftwerk, Uriah Heep, Coldplay, The Decemberists, dredg, the Flaming Lips, Queensryche, Rising West, Intronaut, Kansas, King's X, Soundgarden, Spinal Tap, Styx, Boston, Jimmy Buffet, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Miller, Trail of the Dead, Dethklok, Transatlantic, Trivium, U2, 3, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Abstract in the Sky, The Human Abstract, Battles, War Paint, Overkill, El-P, ELP, Asia, Nightingale, Burzum, Mayhem, Agalloch, Cynic, Chroma Key, Childish Gambino, Veil of Maya, Bloodbath, The Biscuit Merchant, Bigelf, Amorphis, ZO2, Fish, ELO, Supertramp, Rush, and, of course, Dream Theater are all overrated on this forum.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:09:58 AM by skydivingninja »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »
Dude, what do you even listen to?  :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
and pink floyd :)
I love beautiful things.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »
I have to nominate Devin Townsend and Pain of Salvation: both seem to be pretty popular here but I'm not a fan of either.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

:clap: Sig'd

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
god (that I don't believe in because its a conspiracy by the lizard people) its all mainstream now.  lame.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
Steven Wilson and Pain Of Salvation.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
The Beatles, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Blackfield, Pink Floyd, Pain of Salvation, Feist, Boards of Canada, Animal Collective, M83, Metric, Gotye, Kimbra, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, Ozzy, Marillion, Haken, Ayreon, Opeth, Anathema, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Adrenaline Mob, Symphony X, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Between the Buried and Me, Animals as Leaders, Protest the Hero, Thrice, Scale the Summit, Liquid Tension Experiment, KISS, Coheed & Cambria, The Dear Hunter, Manchester Orchestra, Y&T, Devin Townsend, Shpongle, Strapping Young Lad, Death, Atheist, Aphex Twin, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Heart, Talk Talk, Emilie Simon, Emilie Autumn, Sarah Fimm, Fair to Midland, The Who, Alice Cooper, Slayer, Anthrax, Cinderella, Dokken, Motley Crue, Tool, Isis, Russian Circles, Carley Rae Jepsen, GWAR, Rebecca Black, Lady Gaga, The Pineapple Thief, Halestorm, Alestorm, Periphery, Katatonia, Stratovarius, Scorpions, Fates Warning, Alter Bridge, Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, Joy Division, New Order, Neutral Milk Hotel, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Linkin Park, Guns N Roses, Pendulum, Spock's Beard, Skrillex, Anamanaguchi, John Mayer, Nevermore, Buckethead, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Chickenfoot, Avantasia, Neal Morse, Flying Colors, HAIL!, Mr. Big, Racer X, Paul Gilbert, Karnivool, Tori Amos, OSI, Sonata Arctica, Madonna, David Bowie, Gojira, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Dog Fashion Disco, Polkadot Cadaver, Sigh, Ulver, Eisley, Saxon, Theocracy, Accept, Blood Stain Child, Grayceon, Giant Squid, Mastodon, Neurosis, ZZ Top, Nick Drake, Jeff Buckely, Hans Zimmer, Arcade Fire, My Morning Jacket, Bright Eyes, Conor Oberst, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, The Dillenger Escape Plan, Ne Obliviscaris, Queen, Nine Inch Nails, Storm Corrosion, Pure Reason Revolution, Camel, Can, Kraftwerk, Uriah Heep, Coldplay, The Decemberists, dredg, the Flaming Lips, Queensryche, Rising West, Intronaut, Kansas, King's X, Soundgarden, Spinal Tap, Styx, Boston, Jimmy Buffet, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Miller, Trail of the Dead, Dethklok, Transatlantic, Trivium, U2, 3, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Abstract in the Sky, The Human Abstract, Battles, War Paint, Overkill, El-P, ELP, Asia, Nightingale, Burzum, Mayhem, Agalloch, Cynic, Chroma Key, Childish Gambino, Veil of Maya, Bloodbath, The Biscuit Merchant, Bigelf, Amorphis, ZO2, Fish, ELO, Supertramp, Rush, and, of course, Dream Theater are all overrated on this forum.
They're the worst.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »
I forgot Static Crap.  Man, eff those guys.  Especially Ross.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
Well, I can understand the Ross hate but the rest of Static Crap? Really?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
They're just so overrated y'know?  I look at all the rates they get and all I can think is "STOP!  This is too many!  You're being overrated!"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »

Pain of Salvation, first 3 albums great, the rest is absolute drivel.

....Remedy Lane is drivel?
fanticide.bandcamp.com