Author Topic: Musical Pet Peeves  (Read 10630 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Musical Pet Peeves
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 06:53:12 AM »
It bothers me when a shorter song is placed between two longer songs. An obvious example is Pull Me Under > Another Day > Take the Time.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »
Yeah, fade-outs kinda bother me too. Sometimes they're done well but most of the time they just seem like the band has no idea how to write endings to songs.

So much this. I listen to many songs despite this, but they would be better with it, in 99& of the cases.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
When a song fades out when there's a recorded, definitive ending!!! AHHHHHH! Irks me so bad... and yes, I'm talking about RUSH.

The Outlaw Torn by Metallica actually had a recorded ending but it wouldn't fit on the CD so they had no choice but to fade it out.

They even released the full version as a B side later on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Every indie band playing only rickenbacker basses and really old shitty 60's no-name guitars

Okay your other points don't both me at all but Rickenbacker basses are awesome.  Just ask Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and Scott Pilgrim.  And I don't know what indie bands you've been seeing, but more than plenty of them play with Gibsons and Fenders.  :P

I think my biggest musical pet peeve is the point about lifting a popular riff/melody and changing the words.  That "Live Your Life" song had better be paying royalties to that Romanian band who wrote "Dragosta in Tei" (aka the Numa Numa song).  I'm kind of hypocritical with that pet peeve though, because sometimes sampling and mashups can be really really cool.  :P  So...yeah.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
Every indie band playing only rickenbacker basses and really old shitty 60's no-name guitars

Okay your other points don't both me at all but Rickenbacker basses are awesome.  Just ask Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and Scott Pilgrim.  And I don't know what indie bands you've been seeing, but more than plenty of them play with Gibsons and Fenders.  :P

I think my biggest musical pet peeve is the point about lifting a popular riff/melody and changing the words.  That "Live Your Life" song had better be paying royalties to that Romanian band who wrote "Dragosta in Tei" (aka the Numa Numa song).  I'm kind of hypocritical with that pet peeve though, because sometimes sampling and mashups can be really really cool.  :P  So...yeah.

Yeah.  Holy shit.  You want a certain sound you get a certain instrument.  Wow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »

It's not Rickenbacker basses per se . It's every band using them Because every band uses them. I can't stand trends as it is but when all bands sound and look the same that really annoys me as someone who tries to go against trends and fashions unless it's something that I actually choose out of preference...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 02:17:35 PM »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »

It's not Rickenbacker basses per se . It's every band using them Because every band uses them. I can't stand trends as it is but when all bands sound and look the same that really annoys me as someone who tries to go against trends and fashions unless it's something that I actually choose out of preference...

Exactly what bands use them? I'm not a huge indie fan or anything but they never struck me as being common enough to be a trend.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
When really popular chord progressions are used. Especially when an artists uses it multiple times. A good example is G, G/F#, Em7, Dsus4, Cadd9, D. Or the Canon chord progression. Oh, and I IV V. Fucking pisses me off that people can sell music witch such lack of creativity. Whenever I sit down and write music, I come up with some chords that aren't based on some popular chord structure or another song.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Gaspar, your post made me think of this.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »
There's a lot more to a good song than the chord structure.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
True, but certain chord structures have been used to death, which eliminates any interest whatsoever I would have had in most songs that use it, because it simply sounds generic.

Of course, that's not always true - if there is a good rock song using these chords, sure, but most of these songs are pop songs anyway, so they sound kind-of samey. That, coupled with my dislike of most pop songs, is enough to make many of these songs very unattractive to me.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »

Yes. I never said it made the song bad, but it could it way better with an original chord structure (which is subjective, but for me I generally like songs with as much originality as possible).

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »
Original seems like a painfully broad description. The synthesis of the elements that make up a song are far more interesting to me than just chord structures, which are minor parts of songs to begin with.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Original seems like a painfully broad description. The synthesis of the elements that make up a song are far more interesting to me than just chord structures, which are minor parts of songs to begin with.
What bothers me the most about the use of those chords is that the songs are generally pretty basic and boring, ie. acoustic guitar playing the chords, bass guitar playing the roots, standard rock beat, and the chords following the same amount of beats as most other songs with the same chord structure. Should've made that more clear. If they had more interesting melodies, harmonies, rhythms etc. to go with it, it wouldn't really bother me, but when they take the structure and use it the same way many artists already have, it makes me want to shoot myself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
When really popular chord progressions are used. Especially when an artists uses it multiple times. A good example is G, G/F#, Em7, Dsus4, Cadd9, D. Or the Canon chord progression. Oh, and I IV V. Fucking pisses me off that people can sell music witch such lack of creativity. Whenever I sit down and write music, I come up with some chords that aren't based on some popular chord structure or another song.

I love inventing new chords and all that but I do love the song Whatever by Oasis which uses the exact progression you mentioned. It's how well you use it too.

But Yeah - I IV V is the oldest progression ever :P

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
Using the word baby in the lyrics
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
"Whatever Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger"... gag me with a spoon. I hope the inventor of that catchphrase is final happy that it's making millions of dollars. I'd sue.

I doubt it.  He's been dead for a while.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
Bands that dress for their genre.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tofee35

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
"Whatever Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger"... gag me with a spoon. I hope the inventor of that catchphrase is final happy that it's making millions of dollars. I'd sue.

I doubt it.  He's been dead for a while.

Ahh. I was being facetious, but I had a feeling somebody on this forum would know who it is and point it out.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
Vocals by children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbkDbM9sBqY

>:(
I have that song set to end right before the terrible child vocals... always surprises me now to hear how it actually ends  :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
It works in Duel With the Devil by TA, but it's always been awful everywhere else.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
I don't really see a problem with it intrinsically. It's fine in Degausser by Brand New and Dirty Harry by Gorillaz.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
Bands that have a bad singer who only sings. If your only contribution to your band is vocals and you suck at them you shouldn't be in any kind of band whatsoever. For that matter, if you suck at whatever your contribution to your band is you shouldn't be in a band but I find it way worse when someone who only sings does it. My reasoning is that vocals are something we're at least trained in from birth in some small way since we have our voice available to us at all times and begin singing along with songs recreationally from a very young age so it ain't like some 15-year old picking up a guitar for the first time and struggling to even fret an E minor chord.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
It works in Duel With the Devil by TA, but it's always been awful everywhere else.

I'm pretty sure those vocals are done by women, as seen on the making-of the album video "Building The Bridge" - Neal conducts a choir of ladies doing the "Motherless Children" vocals for the end of "Duel With The Devil".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
Some things that comes to mind:

*Fast/Technical/Wanky solos. A bit ironic seeing how I loved DT a few years ago, but I guess the table turned. I can appreciate a good solo, but it's very off putting for me when it's all about displaying technical skill. Or cramming a solo in there just for the sake of it. I don't like the idea of having a guitar solo, followed by a keyboard solo (and then maybe another instrumental part) and suddenly you have 4-5 minutes of instrumental stuff that doesn't fit into the song at all. In terms of solo's I much prefer feel and passion over playing fast. (and before someone tries to argue that fast solos can have passion, I didn't say that they couldn't)

*Hidden tracks. Like pointed out earlier, it just bothers me when there's a 20 minute song that has 4-5 minutes of music in the beginning, and then 30 seconds of mumbling at the end. I don't really come across many of these, but the few ones I know are slightly annoying. Luckily it's always on the last track, so I can always stop after the real song is finished.

*Long songs for the sake of being long. This is semi-related to my first point, but a very common part for some Progressive bands. I can appreciate a good long song, but I think the length has to be justified. There are loads of long songs where I feel that the original sound or idea gets lost along the way, and that the final product isn't that interesting.
A few bad examples that comes to mind: The Ministry of Lost Souls by DT, and Celestial Elixir by Haken. I'm not saying that these are bad songs (and it's fine if other people like them), but for me they are both very long songs, and very scattered. I've heard both several times but can't seem to recall exactly how they sound, maybe a section here or there, but somewhere along the way I feel like they get out of hand, and loose focus.
On the contrary I think two good examples would be Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by DT and Raider II by Steven Wilson. The first to show that I think DT can write good stuff as well, in this case I think despite the long length it holds up very well. There are recurring themes but the individual songs are just as interesting as the whole thing. (if you count it as a song or a song-cycle is another question), and as for Raider II, I think it's a song that follows a red thread without becoming repetitive.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
I guess this sort of fits . . .

Crowds that can't clap in time with the music.  See "The Drapery Falls" from the Royal Albert Hall show.  Most of the time when this happens, the clapping gets faster than the actual beat.

The corollary to this is crowds counting down with the clock at sporting events, particularly if it has a decimal.  When the clock reads 9.9, that does not mean there is nine seconds left.  The crowd gets to "zero" at 0.9 and there is practically a full second left on the clock.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
Opeth fans should be banned from clapping.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jsem

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
Some things that comes to mind:

*Fast/Technical/Wanky solos. A bit ironic seeing how I loved DT a few years ago, but I guess the table turned. I can appreciate a good solo, but it's very off putting for me when it's all about displaying technical skill. Or cramming a solo in there just for the sake of it. I don't like the idea of having a guitar solo, followed by a keyboard solo (and then maybe another instrumental part) and suddenly you have 4-5 minutes of instrumental stuff that doesn't fit into the song at all. In terms of solo's I much prefer feel and passion over playing fast. (and before someone tries to argue that fast solos can have passion, I didn't say that they couldn't)
I can definitely see that you feel that way, and I do in some way too.

Solo's have to breathe too. I actually think most JP's solos are good in this regard, he allows some air for breathing. JR doesn't always though, he gets too carried away very often.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2012, 02:53:55 AM »
*Long songs for the sake of being long. This is semi-related to my first point, but a very common part for some Progressive bands. I can appreciate a good long song, but I think the length has to be justified. There are loads of long songs where I feel that the original sound or idea gets lost along the way, and that the final product isn't that interesting.
A few bad examples that comes to mind: The Ministry of Lost Souls by DT, and Celestial Elixir by Haken. I'm not saying that these are bad songs (and it's fine if other people like them), but for me they are both very long songs, and very scattered. I've heard both several times but can't seem to recall exactly how they sound, maybe a section here or there, but somewhere along the way I feel like they get out of hand, and loose focus.

Celestial Elixir and MOLS are really just your basic intro-verse-chorus-verse-chrous-instrumental section-verse-chorus-end. What's scattered about them?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2012, 03:02:30 AM »
Instrumental sections being way over the top and the song loosing it's focus. :P