Author Topic: Musical Pet Peeves  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Musical Pet Peeves
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »
The Fuck Outta Here!

Is this your and my new band?

Yes. You will play all the instruments and I'll just fart into the microphone. We'll make millions.

Adami = George Michael
Zook = Andrew Ridgely

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
¡Spam!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
This is kind of silly, and I guess unique to me, but I have a preference for things that are... for lack of a better word, "elegant".  Band names.    Led Zeppelin is CLASSIC.  Pink Floyd, rolls off the tongue.   Pearl Jam is iconic.   I like their music, but I would NEVER, EVER, EVER have named my band "Butthole Surfers".   Not a fan of "Stone Temple Pilots".   And don't even get me started on the emo bands like "Panic! At The Disco", or "Death Cab For Cutie".  That latter one could be the stupidest band name ever.   

Same with lyrics (although lyrics don't mean all that much to me); I'll take some of Robert Plant's lyrics - like in Kashmir - over dumb clichés all day.  Even Kiss is good here; "Parasite".  "Deuce".   "God of Thunder".  Classics.  The world does not need another "In Your Eyes" or "Angel" or "Born To Run".

Local bands have some weirder names.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43743.0
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Dream Theater is a pretty good band name.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »

Well at least it's not The Dream Theatre.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »

Yes it is. I won't bore with my College WDADU story, but the band's name definitely caught my attention.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
My biggest musical pet peeve is featured raps. These rappers go into the studio without ever having heard the song and lay down a verse that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the song. It's also usually their laziest verse, with them just doing it to make additional money, and it almost always comes out terrible and takes away from the song. There's a few exceptions (Nicki Minaj's featured verses are almost always fire) but it's a trend in pop music that I wish would go away.
The featured rap is today's version of the guitar solo in pop music. It doesn't help that a lot of the rappers they get are terrible (this is coming from someone who really likes hip hop). At least in the 80s they'd get someone like Eddie Van Halen or a member of the band was a great guitarist (Toto).

This reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evCsdT99Iog

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »

Yes it is. I won't bore with my College WDADU story, but the band's name definitely caught my attention.

Actually, I think the band name is quite misleading.  When I first heard about Dream Theater, I was expecting something ambient and new-agey (Tangerine Dream?). So when I finally gave DT a listen, I was like: wow this is heavy AF! Boy was I way off base! 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2017, 11:40:41 PM »
They were exactly what I expected them to sound like: Metal with a ton of keyboards and symphonic elements. I hadn't really discovered progressive music yet so I was more thinking about power/symphonic type metal, but the overall tone of their music was what I expected.

But I also assumed they were a Metal band because I was hearing about them on Iron Maiden forums and the like.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2017, 11:08:32 PM »
Certain instances of bad grammar really bother me. For instance, from Streams by Haken:

Streams of blood like liquid love is are rushing to my brain.

It wouldn't affect the lyrics at all if it were corrected. However, here are instances I'll forgive it, like in The Dear Hunter's The Line:

It's the end of the line for you and I.

Really it should be "you and me," but I'll let it slide because they'd have to change all the lyrics to fix it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2017, 11:43:29 PM »
Revised [original disappeared due to poster error.  There goes another secretary)

Most fadeouts work, some don't.  The worst (x 1000):  'Fool On The Hill'. 

Hate the 'long/short/long' track times?:  Sorry, but 'Yours Is No Disgrace /The Clap / Starship Troopers' would respectfully disagree.

Extended remixes are THE worst 99% of the time.  And my favorite band Queen are the worst abusers and moneymakers of this genre (though a handful of extended VERSIONS are good/better than the LP versions).

Oh, and one of the few bands that released a single that was longer and different and better than the LP version ('I Want To Break Free')
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:24:07 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2017, 01:05:42 AM »
Revised [original disappeared due to poster error.  There goes another secretary)

You sure?  ::)

Nice to read posts from 'before my time'.

As to 'too quick of fade outs':  The Beatles 'Fool on the Hill'.  I mean, wow.

As to long/short/long songs not working:  I don't know, 'Yours Is No Disgrace/The Clap/Starship Trooper'  is one of many examples where I would disagree.

As to bonus tracks at the end of a CD:  put 10-15 seconds of silence after the album proper.  When I make cdrs, I have place that amount of silence at the end of EVERY one of them.  The reason:  car stereos instantly go back to track one when a CD is finished.  It gives me time to eject them, rather than being jolted from a long fade out of an album to an instant crashing of the first song.

I wish some band's (ie The Beatles) bonus material WAS included on CDs.  For 'Revolver', every copy I've made has 'Paperback Writer' and 'Rain included at the end.  They were part of the era, released months before the album.   The silence before the songs gives me and those who receive these copies the option of listening to them or stopping.

But, I digress.  Moving on.....

The second worst:  greatest hits albums that just butcher the original versions.  The list is too long for a single post (geez, I smell a new thread coming from someone...)

The worst:  extended remixes.  Queen was just horrible at this.  Gawd knows who the hell was creating these things, as they are mostly 'sit at the desk and reloop' piles of crap ('You Don't Fool Me' sixteen versions, anyone?0 

There are a handful of band/solo tracks that might have been better on their LPs
band:   'A Hard Life', 'Hammer To Fall', and to some extent, 'Breakthru'.  And, oddly, 'I Want To Break Free'.  The 45 version is longer than the album version.  How many bands did that?

Freddie- 'Made In Heaven' and 'Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow'.  I mean, damn, those versions should have been on his dreadful 'Mr. Bad Guy' instead of the album versions.

'Barcelona' (ext)......if you like the album version, you will love this.  It isn't a lot more, but it still feels 'new' on every listen.

the bad:  all the other extended versions/remixes they did.  Instead of an extra Brian or Roger solo that didn't fit onto the LP due to time restraints or being to 'wild', they were mostly 'relooped' crap.  I wasted way too much money back in the day to get these 'rarities'.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2017, 04:16:54 AM »
^
Wow....I do not need another secretary.

Not to derail the thread, but, I am not kidding......I still do not see MY post that you quoted?!?  I have no clue as to why.
[fashimilled for sure]
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2017, 04:22:57 AM »
^
Wow....I do not need another secretary.

Not to derail the thread, but, I am not kidding......I still do not see MY post that you quoted?!?  I have no clue as to why.
[fashimilled for sure]

You posted it in the wrong thread!  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2017, 04:28:06 AM »
Check your own post history people !!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »
Apologies to all...but I cannot access my post 'history' (and have not been able to for quite a spell).  And I'm still searching for the thread I , er, my former secretary posted in.

Help!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:57 AM »
Click here

Then click here

Then scroll down a bit & you'll see this:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2017, 04:39:50 AM »
Apologies to all...but I cannot access my post 'history' (and have not been able to for quite a spell).  And I'm still searching for the thread I , er, my former secretary posted in.

Help!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43743.msg2273970#msg2273970 :tup

God dammit beat me to it :(