Author Topic: Musical Pet Peeves  (Read 10661 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Musical Pet Peeves
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2017, 03:49:06 AM »
But then Bryan Adams released a 35 or so minute album which was 6 years after his previous effort and then you feel kinda short changed.

Exactly how I felt when AC/DC's Rock Or Bust came out, especially after Black Ice (their longest album, 55 minutes) was one of my favourites from there's.

It also didn't help that RoB wasn't that good but I digress.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2017, 03:59:51 AM »
My bro and I have this peeve where you expect a rhyme and it doesn't happen...

Something along the lines of

" You walked through the Door. Then you fell on the ground "

:rollin

Ok it's not really a peeve it's just funny. I know that lyrics aren't *expected* to rhyme but....

Best example of that is in Finally Free.

No longer torn in two
He'd kill his brother if he only knew

Their love renewed
They'd rendezvous
In a pathway out of view
They thought no one knew
Then came a shot out of the blue night

Funny, I never ever realized or was even bothered by this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2017, 04:01:46 AM »
"Out of the blue" would've been far worse. Not only does three rhymes in a row that quickly make it really redundant, but "blue" isn't exactly a word you can hold for 10 seconds & expect to be taken seriously.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2017, 04:21:55 AM »
nobody noticed the >4 year bump?  :lol

Ah!  I wondered how a new thread got so many posts without me seeing it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2017, 06:34:17 AM »
Kiss's "Dressed To Kill" even had extra silence in between songs to make it to 30 minutes, it was so short.  Then again, it was the third album by them in 18 months, and they were touring like maniacs, so it was a different environment, but still.

I'm on the fence.   Some of those '80's metal records - 42 minutes of pure annihilation - are damn near perfect, when compared to, say, Genesis "We Can't Dance", that should have been pared back.  But then again, what do you cut from, say, "Scenes From a Memory"?   The answer is, nothing.   So there's no perfect answer. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »
Kiss's "Dressed To Kill" even had extra silence in between songs to make it to 30 minutes, it was so short.  Then again, it was the third album by them in 18 months, and they were touring like maniacs, so it was a different environment, but still.

I'm on the fence.   Some of those '80's metal records - 42 minutes of pure annihilation - are damn near perfect, when compared to, say, Genesis "We Can't Dance", that should have been pared back.  But then again, what do you cut from, say, "Scenes From a Memory"?   The answer is, nothing.   So there's no perfect answer.

A friend of mine and I were having a discussion about We Can't Dance a while back, and I ended up coming up with this track list for the album which actually works quite well:

No Son of Mine
Jesus He Knows Me
Driving the Last Spike
Dreaming While You Sleep
On the Shoreline
Living Forever
Hold on My Heart
Fading Lights

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
My biggest musical pet peeve is featured raps. These rappers go into the studio without ever having heard the song and lay down a verse that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the song. It's also usually their laziest verse, with them just doing it to make additional money, and it almost always comes out terrible and takes away from the song. There's a few exceptions (Nicki Minaj's featured verses are almost always fire) but it's a trend in pop music that I wish would go away.

I also hate metal bands with pop punk vocalists. I love metal and I love pop punk. Just not together. It always plays out the same: I'm listening to a song on the radio. The singer is doing metal growls during the verses. I'm enjoying it and then the chorus comes and the vocalist starts singing a melody and he has that typical whiny pop punk voice which doesn't fit the aggressive nature of the metal instrumentation going on underneath him. It completely takes me out of the entire song. It just doesn't work.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
"Out of the blue" would've been far worse. Not only does three rhymes in a row that quickly make it really redundant, but "blue" isn't exactly a word you can hold for 10 seconds & expect to be taken seriously.

I agree that night is better, but not really because of those reasons. The constant rhyming I think is awesome. And also the expected rhyme but actually saying the word adds to the "surprise" of the even in the narrative. Also, "night" isn't even held for 2 seconds, let alone 10, otherwise I'd agree with you there.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
I don't like affectations in my vocals much.  Ozzy does this a lot ("Crazy.... Babays....").  Another example is Sweet ("She thinks SHE'S the passionate one!").   Fred Durst used to do it a lot (seemed like every song) with Limp Bizkit.   Ace Frehley does it a fair amount, as does Peter Criss.   

I also don't like "raps" in my rock songs.   As much of a Kiss fan as I am, Paul's rap in "All Hell's Breaking Loose" is embarrassing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
I don't like affectations in my vocals much.  Ozzy does this a lot ("Crazy.... Babays....").  Another example is Sweet ("She thinks SHE'S the passionate one!").   Fred Durst used to do it a lot (seemed like every song) with Limp Bizkit.   Ace Frehley does it a fair amount, as does Peter Criss.   

I also don't like "raps" in my rock songs.   As much of a Kiss fan as I am, Paul's rap in "All Hell's Breaking Loose" is embarrassing.

Even worse if it has THAT mid 80's  " 1 - 2 - and a 3 and 4 " drum beat... You know the one...With some slap bass to top it off :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
I think there's a place for shorter albums but I'll agree that it can still feel like you're getting ripped off

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »
Having two capitalised letters within a word - doesn't matter if it's a band, a song title, it always looks off.

For instance, there's this pretty awesome band MyGrain who make some awesome music, but every time I see their name, I can't help but cringe slightly. Same with FantasMic but Nightwish.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
And KoRn.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
Don't forget KrotchRaut.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
Can we please?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »
Another thing I realized... it's annoying when singers make a spelling mistake, and it still gets uses as a final take. I can't make example off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it happens even with native speakers, not only foreign ones.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:43 AM »
The "fire / desire" rhyme pair should be banned by law - it's the mother of all clichés.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2017, 03:50:56 AM »
I think it can still work on occasion, like in Transatlantic - Rose Coloured Glasses

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2017, 04:19:19 AM »
And what about Love / Above? it's the only thing rhyming anyway so it's kinda mandatory  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
This is kind of silly, and I guess unique to me, but I have a preference for things that are... for lack of a better word, "elegant".  Band names.    Led Zeppelin is CLASSIC.  Pink Floyd, rolls off the tongue.   Pearl Jam is iconic.   I like their music, but I would NEVER, EVER, EVER have named my band "Butthole Surfers".   Not a fan of "Stone Temple Pilots".   And don't even get me started on the emo bands like "Panic! At The Disco", or "Death Cab For Cutie".  That latter one could be the stupidest band name ever.   

Same with lyrics (although lyrics don't mean all that much to me); I'll take some of Robert Plant's lyrics - like in Kashmir - over dumb clichés all day.  Even Kiss is good here; "Parasite".  "Deuce".   "God of Thunder".  Classics.  The world does not need another "In Your Eyes" or "Angel" or "Born To Run".   

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
I'm always amazed when people complain about band names ... on a "Dream Theater" forum :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
I don't think that "Dream Theater" is a particularly good band name, though it's not terrible either.

But why does that mean that I shouldn't be critical of other band names?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »
This is kind of silly, and I guess unique to me, but I have a preference for things that are... for lack of a better word, "elegant".  Band names.    Led Zeppelin is CLASSIC.  Pink Floyd, rolls off the tongue.   Pearl Jam is iconic.   I like their music, but I would NEVER, EVER, EVER have named my band "Butthole Surfers".   Not a fan of "Stone Temple Pilots".   And don't even get me started on the emo bands like "Panic! At The Disco", or "Death Cab For Cutie".  That latter one could be the stupidest band name ever.   

Same with lyrics (although lyrics don't mean all that much to me); I'll take some of Robert Plant's lyrics - like in Kashmir - over dumb clichés all day.  Even Kiss is good here; "Parasite".  "Deuce".   "God of Thunder".  Classics.  The world does not need another "In Your Eyes" or "Angel" or "Born To Run".

" Cute Without The E "

Oh Piss Off You Bunch of Emo Twats :lolpalm:

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
The "fire / desire" rhyme pair should be banned by law - it's the mother of all clichés.

Especially when it's also paired with the ''higher/overtired'' combo. Right? :neverusethis:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »

I agree that night is better, but not really because of those reasons. The constant rhyming I think is awesome. And also the expected rhyme but actually saying the word adds to the "surprise" of the even in the narrative. Also, "night" isn't even held for 2 seconds, let alone 10, otherwise I'd agree with you there.
Also the song switches gears on that word, so it makes sense that the rhyme scheme doesn't continue there.

My biggest musical pet peeve is featured raps. These rappers go into the studio without ever having heard the song and lay down a verse that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the song. It's also usually their laziest verse, with them just doing it to make additional money, and it almost always comes out terrible and takes away from the song. There's a few exceptions (Nicki Minaj's featured verses are almost always fire) but it's a trend in pop music that I wish would go away.
The featured rap is today's version of the guitar solo in pop music. It doesn't help that a lot of the rappers they get are terrible (this is coming from someone who really likes hip hop). At least in the 80s they'd get someone like Eddie Van Halen or a member of the band was a great guitarist (Toto).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
Can we please?

You've been branded. You are forever in our grasp.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »

Local bands have some weirder names.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Bands that use "The' in their name where it isn't necessary. The Offspring, The Cult, The Beatles. Those are fine. The Running Towards You? The Eating Cake? The Jumps Really High. "The Fuck Outta Here!"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
The Fuck Outta Here!

Is this your and my new band?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
The Fuck Outta Here!

Is this your and my new band?

Yes. You will play all the instruments and I'll just fart into the microphone. We'll make millions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2017, 12:16:07 PM »
I'm proud to announce my new emo band.

The drummer only has one cymbal. The guitar is from 90 years ago and has 5 single coils on it. We all wear clothes we got from charity shops.

We're called " The The The The's "

We're like..so totally awesome....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2017, 12:18:23 PM »
I'm proud to announce my new emo band.

The drummer only has one cymbal. The guitar is from 90 years ago and has 5 single coils on it. We all wear clothes we got from charity shops.

We're called " The The The The's "

We're like..so totally awesome....

Do you guys need a bassist or even a triangle player? Please!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
We're trying to go a different direction maaaaan.

we're just going to be guitar and drums but not like the white stripes or black keys maaan

we have our own reason for just having a guitar player and a drummer with only one cymbal

we're not just copying someone elses idea who said we were

.... actually - have you ever heard of " THE VON BONDIES " ?

Their drummer literally had ride snare and floor tom. That was it. :|

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas. That translates to "I've got to feeling", which just doesn't make sense in any language.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
I'm always amazed when people complain about band names ... on a "Dream Theater" forum :lol

Nah, see, I think that is a legendary band name.   Classic.   Evocative.