Author Topic: Karma (John Petrucci inspired instrumental track)  (Read 1578 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Karma (John Petrucci inspired instrumental track)
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
I created this with the drummer of my poprock band, with me on bass and guitar. Since our singer left, we've been jamming in our studio and recording some stuff. This is a heavy rock track with a bit of Petrucci/Satriani influence. I don't have the skills they have, but the melodic side of their playing inspired me to make this track. I only recorded the main lead melody so far.

These are the first two minutes, and after this there will probably be a solo trade-off part of something.

Again, this is entirely for fun, and the first thing we created that's even remotely proggy/odd timy. I welcome you to place your remarks/critisism/tips so this can become something very cool. Thanks for listening.

https://rapidshare.com/files/254981507/Karma_-_Instrumental_track.mp3.html

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Valdor

Re: Karma (John Petrucci inspired instrumental track)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:08:21 AM »
I can't really think of any criticism right now, so I'll just say that IT WAS GREAT!  :tup

An apparent Pull Me Under reference at the ending.
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:31:49 AM »
I can't really think of any criticism right now, so I'll just say that IT WAS GREAT!  :tup

An apparent Pull Me Under reference at the ending.

Thanks man! I'm not sure what you mean, but we're talking about putting an overture 1928 reference in there, the rythm that's played at the very beginning of overture 1928.

Offline Valdor

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:12:33 AM »
Whoops! Seems like my download got ****ed and the song just just ended abruptly at 2:12  :lol. Thats what I ment with the PMU reference.
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
Wow, I liked that a lot better than I thought I would.  I mean, most of the shit I run into online is exactly that, or at least something I'm not interested in.

Like, "Hey, this band does great Dream Theater covers!"

Who gives a shit?

Alright, tiny rant aside, I was very impressed with the sound.  Whatever you guys use to record, it sounds really fucking good, so well done on that front!  As for the actual music, I dug it.  I wasn't too big on the "main riff" but everything around it was catchy and well-played.

Excellent job and keep up the good work.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »
Wow, I liked that a lot better than I thought I would.  I mean, most of the shit I run into online is exactly that, or at least something I'm not interested in.

Like, "Hey, this band does great Dream Theater covers!"

Who gives a shit?

Alright, tiny rant aside, I was very impressed with the sound.  Whatever you guys use to record, it sounds really fucking good, so well done on that front!  As for the actual music, I dug it.  I wasn't too big on the "main riff" but everything around it was catchy and well-played.

Excellent job and keep up the good work.

Thanks man. It sounds this 'good' because we're recording on an analogue mixing desk and an interface that has copies of Neve pre-amps + EQ's, which sound really good. We're probably going to use an old tape machine next, see how that's going to turn out.