Author Topic: 'There's a certain relief with not having to own music. It's a lot of work'  (Read 13077 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
STOP ENJOYING SOMETHING DIFFERENTLY THEN I DO

But on a less sarcastic note, I totally agree. I love having physical copies of things, but it really sucks when compared to streaming (for most things). Physical collections take up tons of space, have to be nicely organized if you want to find anything, and are a massive pain to transport safely (especially if you move around a lot like me). Digital libraries take up a shitload of HD space, and have to tagged properly, be in the right format if you want them on MP3 players, etc. etc. Streaming just requires an internet connection, which as time goes on is becoming easier to get regardless of where you are.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:28:52 PM by Sigz »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline The Letter M

Well, to be fair, the music these young people listen to probably isn't WORTH spending money on anyway, and it's usually going to be 192 (or 128) kbps and played through crappy headphones or laptop speakers, so more power to them.

If it's worth money, people will buy it. The music that gets streamed is the pop stuff that, to be honest, already makes enough money elsewhere, and those artists/record companies/etc. etc. still get their money. It's the less-popular ones that probably should, and DO, get fans' money by purchasing songs/albums.

Either way, it is a huge change in the way music is presented and listened to, and for all we know, it could lead to the downfall of illegal pirating. If music can be streamed and offered online for free, why bother with torrents and shady download sites?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, clicking a few web pages and entering some credit card numbers and then receiving the cd a few days later all while I stil on my fat fucking ass is a lot of work.  I guess unwrapping the cd's can be a bit time consuming at times.  Especially those import stickers on the top.  I've never worked so hard in my life when a cd has those, it's almost not worth it.

::) ::) ::) ::)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
It might be some work (if you're moving for example), but to me it's all worth it. If anything would happen to my collection, I would be so sad. :(

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Yeah, clicking a few web pages and entering some credit card numbers and then receiving the cd a few days later all while I stil on my fat fucking ass is a lot of work.  I guess unwrapping the cd's can be a bit time consuming at times.  Especially those import stickers on the top.  I've never worked so hard in my life when a cd has those, it's almost not worth it.

Geez, I don't know how anyone put up with such a taxing chore for so many decades of purchasing entertainment and keeping it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Geez, I don't know how anyone put up with such a taxing chore for so many decades of purchasing entertainment and keeping it.

I know, I have actually just realised how much of my life I have wasted, let alone the wasted energy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
The music that gets streamed is the pop stuff that, to be honest, already makes enough money elsewhere, and those artists/record companies/etc. etc. still get their money. It's the less-popular ones that probably should, and DO, get fans' money by purchasing songs/albums.

What are you talking about?

Offline The Letter M

The music that gets streamed is the pop stuff that, to be honest, already makes enough money elsewhere, and those artists/record companies/etc. etc. still get their money. It's the less-popular ones that probably should, and DO, get fans' money by purchasing songs/albums.

What are you talking about?

Not entirely TOO sure, I may have been rambling through sleepiness... I think what I meant was that the popular artists whose music is often streamed by young listeners usually get their money at concerts. I know a lot of kids who spend a ton of money to go to concerts each year, and rather than buy music, they use that money to go to their favorite artists' concerts. I suppose those artists get their money SOMEHOW. Maybe that's what I meant?... maybe.

Otherwise, if it doesn't make sense, just ignore that post and move along.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

I know, I have actually just realised how much of my life I have wasted, let alone the wasted energy.

Can you guys seriously not see any reason someone wouldn't want to own a giant collection of albums over just paying a subscription fee?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Can you guys seriously not see any reason someone wouldn't want to own a giant collection of albums over just paying a subscription fee?

Of course we can see the advantage, but the idea of owning a physical music collection being a "lot of work" is laughable. First world problems.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
 ::) Well it's obviously relative. Compared to streaming, yeah, owning a physical collection of any considerable size is a lot of work.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Relatively speaking, it's more work, but it's still not a lot of work by any stretch. What work is involved? Storing it on a shelf? Having to put a record/CD into the player to listen to it? My heart truly goes out to these hard working individuals who have to suffer through such horrors.

Offline The Letter M

Relatively speaking, it's more work, but it's still not a lot of work by any stretch. What work is involved? Storing it on a shelf? Having to put a record/CD into the player to listen to it? My heart truly goes out to these hard working individuals who have to suffer through such horrors.

Indeed, and I am quite fortunate to be, at least, able to order albums online and have them delivered to my door! I can only imagine having to search through records stores for miles and miles to find the album(s) I want. I consider myself lucky.

Being 28, I'm stuck between the young people and those who grew up with vinyl/cassette, and while I could have easily sunk into the mp3/streaming generation, I grew in love with music through physical products and, from now til death, I'll always choose physical products over streaming. There's such a great feeling to owning physical products - it really makes music mine. I doesn't make sense to call music "yours" if it's streaming. Can you listen to it when your computer is off? What if there's no internet...is it still yours? If my internet went down, I'd have a CD player and my hundreds of CDs to choose from. Streaming music isn't anyone's music because anyone can access it. Once something is freely available, it belongs to no one...like air or water. We all have it, we all can get it, but it doesn't belong to any single person.

But when you have your own, that you can only call your own, there's a sense of pride and love in there - this is MY music collection, my shelves of CDs, my crate of records, my box of cassettes...

...no wonder the US economy is going heck - no one's BUYING music any more. Damn young kids and their music... :lol

-Marc.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Omoshiroi. This little debate over streaming and physical copies is awesomely stupid. Whatever floats their boat. Music is music is music. Shit.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
That sucks but on the plus side it might mean that audiophiles are extincting hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
That sucks but on the plus side it might mean that audiophiles are extincting hehe

Yeah, that would be awesome!

If that's anyone's world view then I really hope one day all music is simply played in a midi program just so I can happily say, what's the problem, it's all the same notes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Of course we can see the advantage, but the idea of owning a physical music collection being a "lot of work" is laughable. First world problems.

This. Plus let me add that the 'takes-up-a-lot-of-space'-argument is complete bogus. I have two vertical CD-racks that take up less floor space than a crate of beer and I have all my CD's in them. They're not even half-full, so I still have a way to go. I love having the physical copy, it feels 'real', and there's nothing as good when it comes to listening to music as putting the CD in your media player.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

This. Plus let me add that the 'takes-up-a-lot-of-space'-argument is complete bogus. I have two vertical CD-racks that take up less floor space than a crate of beer and I have all my CD's in them. They're not even half-full, so I still have a way to go. I love having the physical copy, it feels 'real', and there's nothing as good when it comes to listening to music as putting the CD in your media player.

And it comes down to how passionate you are about music and how truly important it is to you. I don't begrudge anyone for using a streaming service, a lot of them are great for what they are used for. However if you truly care about music and the musicians and people behind the music, then streaming certainly isn't that great an option as streamed music helps musicians practically not at all.

And for M's pride argument, it applies to music as it does to anything. Even if it does take up a lot of space, allotting that space shows you care about it, that you love music enough to give it the corner of a room. Since someone used a random wine analogy I'll use it now, it's like a wine connoisseur having racks of wine around the house. Sure, he could have wine out whenever he wants, but that's hardly enough for someone who is passionate about wine and wants to have a nice selection on hand. Not only is the space happily given, but the wine connoisseur will be happy that visitors and family can see that passion reflected in the decor of the home.

I have used spotify, pandora, MP3 players and keep all my music digitally on my computer as well as my physical collection, and I'm happy for anyone who does those things and enjoys music in any capacity. At the end of the day though, when dealing with how we interact with music and the music industry, it comes down to the question, is music something you enjoy, or is it something you are passionate about and care about?
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I read that article and almost posted it here. I agree that the ‘lots of work’ comment is a bit silly. I presume the sentiment is about having as much music as people want without caring to, or being able to afford to, purchase it all in tangible form.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, that would be awesome!

If that's anyone's world view then I really hope one day all music is simply played in a midi program just so I can happily say, what's the problem, it's all the same notes.

I'm an audiophile myself, but a moderate one. I can do with 320 kb/s mp3s but that's my minimum rate.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
At the end of the day though, when dealing with how we interact with music and the music industry, it comes down to the question, is music something you enjoy, or is it something you are passionate about and care about?

So people who don't build physical collections aren't passionate about music?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
At the end of the day though, when dealing with how we interact with music and the music industry, it comes down to the question, is music something you enjoy, or is it something you are passionate about and care about?

So people who don't build physical collections aren't passionate about music?

As a solid rule, that's incorrect. You can have 0 physical collection and still be passionate about music. However in 95% of cases that won't be the case. It's hard to convince me you support something when you spend no money on it and it doesn't show up in a major part of your life (the way you live).

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Well, to be fair, the music these young people listen to probably isn't WORTH spending money on anyway

That's just an absurdly inaccurate statement.  The fact that people are streaming music has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of it.

And to everybody mocking the statement that "owning music is a lot of work" - I feel like you're either just completely misinterpreting it or willfully simplifying it.  I'm fairly condiment nobody means that the actual physical process of buying a CD or downloading a digital album is a lot of work.  The "a lot of work" part much more likely refers to the fact that if you're going to be spending money on music, you have to dedicate a lot more time to deciding whether or not it's worth your money.  Streaming provides an incredibly easy, legal way to check out new bands and experience new music.  If you eliminate streaming, then when you first hear about a new band or new album or something, you have to rely solely on word of mouth and reviews and such before deciding whether you want to actually spend money on it.  I for one completely agree that owning music is a lot more work than streaming music.  Before Spotify, I pretty much obtained music exclusively by buying CDs, and I can't even begin to count how many albums I've bought that I ended up not really liking.  Streaming music has not only made discovering music simpler and easier, but it's allowed me to be exposed to such a wide variety of music that I probably never would have experienced otherwise, and it's allowed me to prevent purchases that I end up regretting.

Now, I'm not really against owning music either, and for stuff that I really enjoy, I do sill purchase music, whether it be in the form of vinyl, CD, DVD or whatever.  But I think streaming in general is incredibly useful and I'm personally incredibly happy that this is the direction that music listening in trending towards.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
However in 95% of cases that won't be the case. It's hard to convince me you support something when you spend no money on it and it doesn't show up in a major part of your life (the way you live).

I disagree.  That's like saying 95% of people who use libraries instead of buying books aren't passionate about reading.

In my experience, most people who stream and/or illegally download music are MORE passionate about music than people who don't.  And the reason is simple - when you're passionate about something you want to experience as much of it as you can.  And, unless you've got some sort of unlimited income, it's a lot easier to do that by streaming for free than it is to go out and just buy everything you want.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
I don't know what's worse, the initial comment or some of the responses here from people defending the virtues of the physical copy.

My physical copy days goes back to vinyl albums. Had somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 of those before I switched to cassettes. Collected about 300 of them before I switched to CDs. I lost count of my CD collection somewhere around 1200 CDs, but at a ballpark guess I own 1500 CDs. I have purchased, then, over two thousand physical copies of music. I think I got a decent amount of authority on physical ownership of music.

And you know what?

If, by chance, someone managed to find a way to stream those 2000 albums, you know what that means?

They heard the same music I did. And with the same amount of passion that I did. And with one fucking ton more space in their rooms than I have right now.

It's the music that matters, not the media that delivered it. A vinyl album and an internet stream, at the end of the day? Same fucking thing.

Personally, I freely admit that I get more music digitally than physically these days. I moved on to three different delivery formats already, what's a fourth?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
Hahaha.  Oh man... that must have been an autocorrect.  But it's so hilarious that I'm just gonna leave it.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
I don't know what's worse, the initial comment or some of the responses here from people defending the virtues of the physical copy.

My physical copy days goes back to vinyl albums. Had somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 of those before I switched to cassettes. Collected about 300 of them before I switched to CDs. I lost count of my CD collection somewhere around 1200 CDs, but at a ballpark guess I own 1500 CDs. I have purchased, then, over two thousand physical copies of music. I think I got a decent amount of authority on physical ownership of music.

And you know what?

If, by chance, someone managed to find a way to stream those 2000 albums, you know what that means?

They heard the same music I did. And with the same amount of passion that I did. And with one fucking ton more space in their rooms than I have right now.

It's the music that matters, not the media that delivered it. A vinyl album and an internet stream, at the end of the day? Same fucking thing.

Personally, I freely admit that I get more music digitally than physically these days. I moved on to three different delivery formats already, what's a fourth?

I concur with all of this.  I'm the same way.  Between CDs and vinyl, I've easily bought well over 1,5000 physical albums in my lifetime.  Not to mention over 100 concert DVDs and tickets to over 250 shows.  I spent more money on music before the age of 30 than the average person would in 5 lifetimes.  And I think streaming is the best thing to happen to music in years.  The vast majority of my music listening is now through Spotify.

I feel like a lot of people for some reason feel like they need to physically show off a physical music collection to prove how passionate about music they really are.

Offline Slain

Everything is moving over to digital media, and it's still hard to accept for some people. Books, music, movies, you don't have to take up any space at all in order to get it now. I agree with Jaq. You're going to be reading the same book, listening to the same song, or watching the same movie or television show regardless of how you're absorbing it. Now that's not to say there's anything wrong with people that still love collecting, I do, and I still always buy the physical copies of CD's from the bands that I love.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Actually, I am finding it far harder to let go of books than I was CDs, lol. I'm getting there, but I still find myself in a Barnes & Noble buying the actual physical copy instead of downloading it on my Nook. I'll come around to that in time though, because the space in my place that music didn't get is taken by books.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
But that's also because reading off a screen is horrible, definitely when compared to reading off paper.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
'There's a certain relief with not having to own music. It's a lot of work'

Yeah, it's called not spending any money on it.   ::)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
But that's also because reading off a screen is horrible, definitely when compared to reading off paper.

E-readers don't use screens, they use e-ink so you basically are reading off paper.