Author Topic: The official Accept and UDO thread  (Read 13826 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The official Accept and UDO thread
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:10 AM »
Accept are obviously the German heavy metal band which featured Udo Dirkschneider's tradmark vocals for years.  After the band reunited but Udo not wanting any part of it, Accept decided to find a new singer.  All of us were skeptical, but never have I seen a comeback of this sort of degree from any band.  Accept have released two of the most powerful heavy metal albums the metal world has seen in a couple of decades.

After Blood of the Nations was one of my top albums of that year and some of you fellow posters convincing me to crack this baby open, I finally got around to listening to Stalingrad, and boy oh boy, this album could be even better, and I've only listened to it a couple of times.  Mark Tornillo is absolutely perfect for this band and have rejuvinated the band that some would have never thought impossible.  Both of these albums are simply perfect heavy metal and makes bands 20 years their junior sound like play school.

EDIT: Included UDO in this thread because I'm totally digging his older albums right now.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:43:01 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The official Accept thread v. Stalingrad
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
Thanks for creating this thread, wolfie. They're a great band.

On Stalingrad, I have been listening to it via YouTube while waiting for it to arrive, and I think that my favourite track is Shadow Soldiers. That main guitar melody after the choruses is just perfect. Runner-ups are Hellfire, the title track and Hung, Drawn and Quartered. The album loses a bit towards the end, but it's still a very consistent record with no song being anything less than good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
The last two have been awesome metal albums.
My problem over the years (first heard them at the Monsters Of Rock festival at Castle Donington opening the show in 1984) was Udo. Some great songs ruined by a crap voice and it spoiled the whole thing for me. The new guy, whilst having a bit of Udo in his voice is so much better.
I'm not usually in favour of re-recorded albums but I could go for a best of rerecorded with Tornillo.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
Good thread! I hafe been mizzing a gerrrman heavy metal zthread on zthis zite!

Anyway i love Accept, my old band was heavily influnced by the german metal scene like, Accept, Edguy, Helloween, MSG and of course U.D.O.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
I'm not usually in favour of re-recorded albums but I could go for a best of rerecorded with Tornillo.

This would be a sensational idea.  Especially with Sneap behind the desk.

Also, my fav song at the moment off the new record is the title track.  That's gotta be a top 5 song of the year, it's perfect.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:04:40 AM »
I love Accept. They're a TAC Top 10 band. I've been into Accept since Restless And Wild came out when I heard Fast As A Shark. I was in awe of that song, and it's one of the most influential songs for shaping my musical taste.
Strangely, I really took to this band despite Udo's vocals. No one here is pickier about vocals, but for some reason, they just fit.

Wolf Hoffman is easily the most underrated guitarists in metal of all time. So easy to see the Michael Schenker influence. He just has a magical tone that gives me the goosebumps when I hear it, and I instantly connect with the music. Just listen to Stalingrad and the intro to HD&Q. That's it!
Stalingrad is easily my album of the year this year, and there's nothing coming on the horizon that I can see knocking it off. I think it's better than Blood Of The Nations. Mark Tornillo has magically pulled off replacing one of the most unique voices in rock. Sometimes listening to Stalingrad, I think it IS Udo. His performance is that good.

In the Bravewords review, The said if Blood was Restless And Wild, then Stalingrad is more like Metal Heart. Metal Heart is a TAC Top 25 album of all time.

My favorite Udo era tracks are:
Bound To Fail
Guardian Of The Night
Fast As A Shark
Losers And Winners
Metal Heart
TV War
Dogs On Leads

When I saw them open for Maiden on the Powerslave tour, they turned in one of the top 2 opening sets I have ever seen.

I took this shot almost 26 years ago..
Providence Civic Center (opening for Dio)
June 18, 1986
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:18:06 AM »
When I saw them open for Maiden on the Powerslave tour, they turned in one of the top 2 opening sets I have ever seen.

:omg: Two of the best heavy metal bands of all time together on stage? Dammit! If only I had already been in this world by then...
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:25:23 AM »
Really great post TAC.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:35 AM »
The old bands are the only ones keeping that great guitar style alive. What happens when they all retire?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:52 AM »
The old bands are the only ones keeping that great guitar style alive. What happens when they all retire?

Check this band out.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32692.0

I started this thread a few days ago and it only got 12 views.

Also the last half dozen Saxon albums have been terrific.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 02:21:34 PM »
I saw them headlining on the Metal Heart tour.  Awesome show.  I recall they were one of the loudest bands I saw back in the day.  Great times.

edit: and I haven't heard any of the studio albums from Saxon, but their last DVD was killer.  One of the European festivals.  Great to see the Europeans really eat that shit up.  Americans never gave Saxon their due. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
Never really realised how much of a killer guitarist Wolf is.  He shreds on this album, as he did on Blood.

Also, I'm actually more of a later Saxon fan.  I find myself listening to the Killing Ground to Call of Arms slab of albums much more than their old stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
We need a Saxon thread!

My fave is Power And The Glory.

And yes, Wolf Hoffman is great. Always has been!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Never really realised how much of a killer guitarist Wolf is.  He shreds on this album, as he did on Blood.

Also, I'm actually more of a later Saxon fan.  I find myself listening to the Killing Ground to Call of Arms slab of albums much more than their old stuff.

When I reconnected with Saxon a few years ago I found they were surprisingly good. My favourite album is still The power & The Glory, and I still prefer the earlier stuff, but the last 2-3 albums have been very good.

Wolf Hoffman was always rated in the guitar mags in the 80s. Couldn't abide Udo's voice so I missed out on how good the band were. i'd like to see them live now.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
I've always been a huge fan of Accept, but my interest actually went up after Blood of the Nations was released.  That album is exactly what older metal bands should be releasing.  It has an old school sound, but isn't dated in the least.  I am hoping that Rising West (hopefully offically becoming Queensryche soon) will follow the same path as Accept.  I could never get into the first two Accept albums; the sound is different then the sound they would pursue with Breaker.  Love Balls and Restless- perfect metal albums.  I was hoping for a new live cd with Mark on vocals but the idea of a rerecorded greatest hits album is a great idea too (hopefully Rising West does this too!).  Nice to see interest in Accept and Saxon!

Offline philmcson

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:19 PM »
Just came back from the Accept gig a few hours ago. Man, those maniacs really delivered a great show. Listened to four of their albums and went there more because of a recommendation of a friend but I don't regret one penny! Two hours of double bass drumming, guitar and bass solos, great powerful singing and epic songs.

The opening song went something like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJDJwQ9mmU

Seems I'll be listening to them a bit more from now on  ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:07 AM »
Great shit man, check their last two albums if you haven't already. they are amazing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:28 AM »
Great shit man, check their last two albums if you haven't already. they are amazing.

Agreed

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 05:03:16 AM »
  Nice to see interest in Accept and Saxon!

I would also say that the last two Testament albums have been incredible. I was never really a fan back in the day, but The Formation Of Damnation and this year's Dark Roots Of Earth are fantastic.

That said, Stalingrad is my album of the year hands down!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 06:14:21 AM »
TAC  praising Testament?????  I must have died and gone to heaven.....

Just busting your nuts....Last two albums have been a return to greatness...not that I dislike anything in their catologue to begin with

TAC question....what don't you like about their older material, they really haven't changed anything about the style of their music
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:06 AM »

Agreed

Oh I have, and I really dig them  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:12 AM »
TAC  praising Testament?????  I must have died and gone to heaven.....

Just busting your nuts....Last two albums have been a return to greatness...not that I dislike anything in their catologue to begin with

TAC question....what don't you like about their older material, they really haven't changed anything about the style of their music

Back in the late 80's, I just found them one dimensional, a thrashy AC/DC if you will, and I had always thought of them as a second rate Metallica. I wasn't a fan of Chuck Billy's vocals. They just didn't seem to go anywhere.
I do have a couple of albums of theirs that I haven't played in ages.  I do plan on trying to rediscover them. I think TF of D and Dark Roots are truly "next level" for them.
So maybe it was a production thing..I don't know. They just never appealed to me, and when I wanted music like that, I went to Metallica for it, or Flotsam..
I did see them a couple of times, and thought they were cool enough, but when I sat down and listened to them, I could really only take a couple of songs at a time.
I did a Heavy Metal show on my college radio station from 1987-1990 and I played them all the time.

Oddly, I loved Accept! Udo's voice not withstanding. But I really attribute it to the tone that Wolf Hoffman could pull off. It cut right through me and it really was addictive.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Accept and UDO thread
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
Added UDO into this thread.  Just going back through his older album cause I've always been a fan of the last few but never really fully checked his older stuff.  Both of these are absolutely incredible;

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
U.D.O. is great.  I just noticed most, if not all of the UDO albums, have been rereleased in the last year or so.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Yeah that's why I'm picking them up.  I had all UDO albums onwards from Mission X and a best of a a few live releases but never the old stuff.   Got them at a great price and the production on both are incredible.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
Yeah that's why I'm picking them up.  I had all UDO albums onwards from Mission X and a best of a a few live releases but never the old stuff.   Got them at a great price and the production on both are incredible.

Yeah its good that you posted that.  I had checked about a year or so ago and pretty much all of UDO's albums were out of print at the time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Yeah, same I remember the reason I never checked them out was cause I could never get my hands on them, AFM have done well remastering them.  Not much extra though, just a live track and a film clip, but since I have never owned them before, it's all good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
A bit under the radar, but UDO has put together a very respectable solo career. Some great stuff throughout.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
New Accept album, "Blind Rage," coming this summer on July 18th! :metal

https://www.acceptworldwide.com/2014/04/accept-release-new-album-blind-rage-on-july-18th-worldwide/

I'm excited! :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
Hell Fuc#ing YES!! :metal :metal

I am so happy Accept have had this second life. The last two albums have been fantastic!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »
Hell Fuc#ing YES!! :metal :metal

I am so happy Accept have had this second life. The last two albums have been fantastic!

Likewise. Both were terrific albums, so I'm hoping they keep it up! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
Hell Yeah!!!!!!

I read they will be including a few live tracks in the new release.  This band has always been good, but with the last two releases, and hopefully this one, they are a killer band!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »
I could've sworn I read that they were working on a live DVD/Album. Must've scrapped it, I guess.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »
Hell yes!!!  This is gonna be massive.   Awesome cover too.

I could've sworn I read that they were working on a live DVD/Album. Must've scrapped it, I guess.

I remember reading that too.  Perhaps some sort of full show on DVD will be released with the album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
Dudes

This song.

THIS FREAKING SONG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOtTyWIJD1Q

I must have listened to this at least fifty times today, and it's still amazing.