Poll

?

yes
20 (11.2%)
no
159 (88.8%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: Are DT albums too long?  (Read 10706 times)

Offline Ħ

Are DT albums too long?
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
The past four albums have breached the 70 minute mark. I rarely listen to DT album-wise anymore, because honestly I get burnt out. DT writes intense songs, but once you lose that adrenaline rush, the excitement dies down fast.

I'd love to see a shorter album for DT12. 60 minutes, max, and it would be perfect. Even an EP would be nice.

What do you all think?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: Are DT albums too long?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:27 PM »
Definitely opposite. I even think I want them make longer albums. DT is one the bands I can listen the album from the begining to the end, track by track. So I don't want this magic go away.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:15:57 PM »
Definitely opposite. I even think I want them make longer albums. DT is one the bands I can listen the album from the begining to the end, track by track. So I don't want this magic go away.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:34:48 PM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:35 PM »
It goes either way depending on my mood. On the one hand, DT's albums are pretty impossible to digest in one sitting, which is a bummer considering they're an album-based band. However, I'm also really thankful that they put out as much music as they can at one time, given how much time it takes for them to release an album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
It goes either way depending on my mood. On the one hand, DT's albums are pretty impossible to digest in one sitting, which is a bummer considering they're an album-based band. However, I'm also really thankful that they put out as much music as they can at one time, given how much time it takes for them to release an album.

Eh?  They usually release one every other year, which, when you consider that their CDs are usually 70-79 minutes long, is the equivalent of the 70s bands that released a 35-40 minute album every year. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »
Yeah. I sometimes miss the "musical trash bin" in their songwriting.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

Eh?  They usually release one every other year, which, when you consider that their CDs are usually 70-79 minutes long, is the equivalent of the 70s bands that released a 35-40 minute album every year.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Although 70's-length albums would be more digestible (and probably better), as it stands they get out an album every 2 years and that just wouldn't be enough DT to hold me over for that long.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
Albums are fine length. Songs are too long however. ADTOE was a decent step in the right direction with that. But still, I think DT is at the point of their career where they don't need to have huge long instrumental sections all over the place anymore. We get it. Time to move on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »
Albums are fine length. Songs are too long however. ADTOE was a decent step in the right direction with that. But still, I think DT is at the point of their career where they don't need to have huge long instrumental sections all over the place anymore. We get it. Time to move on.

Agreed.  Shorter, concise instrumental sections are the way to go, and I am glad that there were quite a few of those on ADTOE.  Bridges in the Sky is easily a song they could have gone overboard with that instrumental section, but the fact that they kept it so short makes the song better.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
No way would I want their albums shorter. For me DT have a very high hit-rate for good music, so I want all the music they can give, plus even the two year wait feels like forever.
Their songs are typically so long, that if they wrote shorter albums, it would likely only be a handful of songs, which I don't like, or they'd be writing shorter songs, which I don't think is necessary or preferable.

And since my favourite DT album is the one that wouldn't even fit on one CD, I really have to object to this idea. :)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:17:06 AM »
Not at all.  I kind of agree with SeRoX about longer albums, but only as long as there's quality tuneage on them.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:16:47 AM »
No way would I want their albums shorter. For me DT have a very high hit-rate for good music, so I want all the music they can give, plus even the two year wait feels like forever.
Their songs are typically so long, that if they wrote shorter albums, it would likely only be a handful of songs, which I don't like, or they'd be writing shorter songs, which I don't think is necessary or preferable.
This. I want to hear as much music as possible.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »
I like that they put as much music as they can on each album.

I would like an EP for their next release, that would be cool. But then they'd have to release something else rather soon afterwards.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
I think the long albums can be justified since there's always a 2-year gap between the albums. However, it could be a good idea to make a shorter album and release the rest of the material on an EP like Porcupine Tree did with Fear of a Blank Planet.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »

:tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:57:31 AM »
As long as they fit on one disc, they aren't too long.  I don't even know what that means.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 06:07:45 AM »
DT are acutally one of the only bands I can stand a 70+ minute album from.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 06:42:01 AM »
DT are acutally one of the only bands I can stand a 70+ minute album from.

Normally because the songs are constructed in a way that they don't feel long.

Also, I know DT puts out an album roughly every 2 years, but I usually feel let down if I wait 3+ years for an album and it's 30 mins.

When the next Tool album finally arrives - I can pretty much guarantee it will only contain 5 or 6 songs.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 06:44:51 AM »
The more music the better, as long as it's good quality. I don't understand complaints about long albums, because nobody's forcing you to listen to the whole album at once.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:26 AM »
Given that there have been one or two songs on each of the last three albums that I wasn't terribly fond of, I'd say yes. Both BC&SL and SC could have been better paring down a lot of the tracks to shorter lengths as well, IMO.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »

:tup

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Not at all.

DT (and classical music CDs) spoiled me with their album length.  I actually feel pretty ripped off when I buy a CD and it's less than 60 minutes.  If I am going to plunk down $15 or so of my hard earned $$ I want as close to 80 minutes of music I can get.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
Hell no!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
i dont understand how an album can be too long. you aren't forced to listen to it all every time. and a band usually puts them out once every 2 years, so as much material as possible is good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:03 AM »

And since my favourite DT album is the one that wouldn't even fit on one CD, I really have to object to this idea. :)

This.

As long as they fit on one disc, they aren't too long.  I don't even know what that means.

And this.

i dont understand how an album can be too long. you aren't forced to listen to it all every time. and a band usually puts them out once every 2 years, so as much material as possible is good.

And this.

I don't even understand the reasoning behind such a question.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »
They could be even longer! I can listen to DT for hours!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »
I actually would be more likely to listen to newer DT stuff, if it was a disc with more songs on it that were shorter.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
Hell no! If the quality would be less than it is, then maybe, but I think that there was no track on any album since Systematic Chaos that didn't deserve it's record time, and no track from FII before that. As long as they hold that up, they should continue making 80 minute albums.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline N4Player

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »
Give me a double CD any day from DT. When I listen to them, it is a different experience than any other band. They leave me wanting more. Thanks to DT, a 6 minute song is too short and has me asking "That's all you got?"

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
Lol sort of an odd question, but when I go to buy the albums and put them in I don't think "I wish they would give me less."

I don't listen to many DT albums straight through, but the only reason for that is because of songs like Build Me Up, not because the album is too long.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
The words "too long" don't apply to music.  It also works both ways.  If you like it, then it's not too long.  If you don't like it, then it's still not too long.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
This thread is blasphemy plain and simple.  I'd like a double album with one instumental song.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:39 AM »
The poll results reflect my opinion quite well.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
Well, i will keep it simple:

NO
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls