Author Topic: Are We Truly In The End Times?  (Read 106335 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Are We Truly In The End Times?
« Reply #665 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
Interesting article on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_counsels

It's essentially CC interpretation without much scriptural basis that one can go to heaven without fulfilling the counsels. Actually, it always struck me that early post-Jesus Christianity caved under social pressure to be more lenient, in order to include existing family structures.

rumborak
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:27:16 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: May 28, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »
Caring for the needs of your family is a commandment from God...therefore by taking care of your family, that is a part of putting God first.   But if a question of loyalty to God vs. loyalty to family should come into play...loyalty to God comes first.

So God's commandment is, 'care for the needs of your family until I tell you otherwise.'  Is that fair?  I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, so if I'm wrong, sorry.  I'm just not sure I understand.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #667 on: May 28, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »
Caring for the needs of your family is a commandment from God...therefore by taking care of your family, that is a part of putting God first.   But if a question of loyalty to God vs. loyalty to family should come into play...loyalty to God comes first.

So God's commandment is, 'care for the needs of your family until I tell you otherwise.'  Is that fair?  I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, so if I'm wrong, sorry.  I'm just not sure I understand.

Caring for ones family would include not just physically, but spiritually as well.  So it's not really "until I say otherwise".   Worship of God is supposed to be something that involves the entire family, with the father taking the lead for the household.  (not a Sunday school teacher)   It is a father's responsibility to set a good example, care for his family's needs emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually.  And take the lead in teaching the children about God's Word.   

"And these words that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart; and you must inculcate them in your son and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up." (Duet 6:6,7)

So even taking care of your family is not to the EXCLUSION of putting God first.   Worship of God is central to the family's daily lives.    If a family member chooses to not be a part of that any more.   That's where Jesus' counsel that you must put God first.   And Jesus did point out that putting God first *absolutely would* divide families in that type of a situation.   Ideally, it would be nice if the family was united in worship...but everyone has free will.   And even Satan was a righteous angel before he rebelled.   So even a perfect parent like God cannot stop free moral agents from making bad decisions if that is what they desire to do. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude