Author Topic: Weezer  (Read 4624 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Weezer
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »
They're one of those bands nerds who use the Internet heavily seem to love.  And by that I mean the first two albums.

I'd always been skeptical about them, even the first 2 albums.  That is, until I got the blue one and became a believer.  In Weezer having been good once.  I liked it so much, I'm all for getting Pinkerton and (most likely) having nothing to do with anything after that.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Weezer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
I like the debut. never got what the big deal was with Pinkerton though. I like a few songs from the green album, like Hash Pipe and Island In the Sun. Don't own Maladroit or Make Believe. Red Album is crap, barring maybe one song. Raditude, crap. Like, complete crap. The only song I liked on it had Lil' Wayne for god's sake. Love the hell out of Hurley. No, seriously, that album surprised me after the previous two. Lot of catchy tunes on that. Death To False Metal is pretty weak.

And that's pretty much my experience with Weezer. Not a massive fan, but I like quite a few of their tracks. That period from mid-2000s to 2009 was pretty much a dark age for them in my opinion, though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:37:05 AM »
Despite what people say about Weezer, I absolutely love them. Sure, some of their albums are bad, but there are always a few songs from each one that I love. Their debut of course is a top 50 album for me. It's just a great album from start to finish.

Some of my favorite tracks from them (all albums, no order) are:

1. El Scorcho
2. Undone - The Sweater Song
3. Dope Nose
4. Buddy Holly
5. Keep Fishin'
6. Holiday in the Sun
7. No One Else
8. Say It Ain't So
9. (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
10. Hash Pipe
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
Pinkerton is one of my favorite albums of all time. The blue album is a classic, and the green one is insanely catchy as well. Each one of their later albums has a couple of great songs, especially Hurley, which was surprisingly good.

Favorite songs in chronological order: No one else, World has turned and left me here, Buddy Holly, Getchoo, Across the sea, The Good life, Pink triangle, Falling for you, Don't let go, Knock-down drag-out, O Girlfriend, Island in the sun, Hash pipe, American Gigolo, December, Burndt Jamb, The Damage in your heart, The Greatest man that ever lived, (If you're wondering if I want you to) I want you to, Tripping down the freeway, Ruling me, Unspoken, Where's my sex, Brave new world, Everyone...

Wow, that's a lot of songs. So, yeah, I'd say I'm a Weezer fan. I hope there are more of us in here.   ;D

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »
I'd still probably put the Blue album in my top 10. It was one of the first CDs I ever bought and I still love to listen to it. It's just a really fun album and brings back memories of simpler times.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »
I've heard a few songs, and I like them.  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »
I absolutely love the blue album as one of my favorite albums ever.  :hefdaddy

That's about it.  :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:26:51 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
I like a lot of their songs when they come on the radio. I also own Maladroit, that's a fun album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Their debut is one of my favorite albums of all time and one of the few on which there is not a single note I would change, nothing I ever skip, etc.  While some believe Pinkerton to be their more mature, weirdo masterpiece, I still prefer the blue album.  Pinkerton, though, has got some damn fine songs on it and is a worthy followup.  After the first two, though, I kinda lost interest.

HOW COOL IS THAT?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »
Bump from oblivion.

Listening to the blue album, since it turns 20 this year.  I bought this when it came out in my grunge/alt rock phase and played it constantly.  Listening to it now and it has aged pretty well.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:19:46 AM »
Good good band back in the day.  The last couple have been shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »
Good good band back in the day.  The last couple have been shit.

Amen to that.

Love Blue and Love Pinkerton and they still get heavy rotation. Not much else though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:28:59 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »
I like the Blue, Green and Red albums.  I don't get the hype over Pinkerton either, it has some great songs but it seriously sounds like a bunch of demos to me...rough vocals and sloppy playing, where as Blue and Green were so polished. 

Some of Weezer's best songs are b-sides/demos:
Living Without You: https://youtu.be/bkyk1fd5qoQ
Zep Song: https://youtu.be/uc2WjjRQR_g
O Lisa: https://youtu.be/ja2ZDugvkmo

And for those who haven't gone past Pinkerton, at least check out We Are All On Drugs.  One of my favorites.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Hurley's my favorite album. Odd, I know, but that one just really clicked with me. I remember four years ago when it felt like they were just cranking out album after album (Red in 2008, Raditude in 2009, Hurley in 2010, and Death To False Metal like 3 months after that) and then they just stopped, and now it's already been a three and a half year gap. Time flies.

I like the debut and the green album enough. Never could get into Pinkerton. All the other stuff's alright too. Except Raditude. That is honestly one of the worst albums I have ever heard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Pretty annoyed that every Weezer album is on Spotify except " Green ".

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »
Hurley's my favorite album. Odd, I know, but that one just really clicked with me. I remember four years ago when it felt like they were just cranking out album after album (Red in 2008, Raditude in 2009, Hurley in 2010, and Death To False Metal like 3 months after that) and then they just stopped, and now it's already been a three and a half year gap. Time flies.
...when you're having fun?  :lol

I hope these guys will release something soon, it's been quite a while...

Offline dparrott

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
One I forgot:
Sugar Booger https://youtu.be/qbjJzDR4FmE
Kinda funkay

I read they're working on a new album now.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 05:56:40 AM »
I hope these guys will release something soon, it's been quite a while...
Three posts below, the new album is out there. Am I crazy, or is this album truly as awesome as I think? I can't believe how catchy and heavy some of the songs are.  :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
I'll check it out. I've only heard Back To The Shack on the radio, and I hate that song, but I'll always give a new Weezer album a go.

Also, I really like the album art. That crazy looking Chewbacca thing makes me giggle.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 03:00:14 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 05:28:48 AM »
I loved Blue & Green but haven't heard much since that album. I've dipped in and out and enjoyed the odd song.

I really liked " I'm Your Daddy " from the Raditude album.

Should I check out Pinkerton ? I've heard it's a good one.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 08:34:34 AM »
Gosh,Weezer has been my most listened band this past month cause Pinkerton just clicked and the new album is their best since the 90s.  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
Gosh,Weezer has been my most listened band this past month cause Pinkerton just clicked and the new album is their best since the 90s.  :metal

I'll have to check it out !

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
Pinkerton is a very dark, personal album. I love it.  It's become a cult favorite for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
The new album ain't on the Spotify yet.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Last week I gave my buddy's 13 year old daughter the Blue Album with a sticky note that said, "This album is 20 years old this year. It just may change your life. They're not cute, but they sound great." While I think Pinkerton is one of the greatest rock albums of the 90's, Blue is probably more accessible to a teenage girl who listens to country and pop.

I have to note that the B-sides for both the first 2 albums are as good as the albums themselves. Songs like "Jamie", "Suzanne", "I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams" and "You Gave Your Love to me Softly" are absolute gems.

-Tof
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:27:39 AM by tofee35 »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »
^ TAKE... LUCK :lol

Weezer kinda flew past me.  I got the Blue album mainly because of all the hype surrounding it.  I think the only stuff I liked were the radio tracks (Say it Ain't So, Buddy Holly and Undone), and My Name is Jonas.  But the rest of it was a miss for me. 

I read an article in a guitar magazine about Only In Dreams talking about this great guitar solo at the end and it was sooooo underwhelming when I heard it, I guess that coloured my experience of it. 

Back to the Shack is a cool song, I like the lyrical sentiment.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
Bought it today, it came with one of the most obnoxious posters ever. I must frame this thing.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 04:41:16 PM »
Spun a few tracks form the new album on Spotify ...

Horrible production.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
Did anyone hear their cover of Paranoid Android?

It's not brilliant, but they pull it off a lot better than I would have imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTo8rjo-lM

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
Did anyone hear their cover of Paranoid Android?

It's not brilliant, but they pull it off a lot better than I would have imagined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTo8rjo-lM

I think it's brilliant!  Rivers' got some vocal range, son. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »
Any thoughts on their just released tenth album?

I've been really digging it, what a great album for the early days of spring, it couldn't have come out at a better time. I especially dig the streak of songs in the middle: Do you wanna get high, King of the world and Summer Elaine and drunk Dori. Those tracks are classic Weezer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
They seem to release a self titled every 7 years :lol

I really like Blue & Green but never heard Pinkerton and Raditude was not great and I didn't bother after that.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
I really like Blue & Green but never bothered to check out the other albums.

FTFM