Author Topic: Wierd PC mouse problem -- any experts here?  (Read 536 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Wierd PC mouse problem -- any experts here?
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
We've had the Dell Optiplex 745 for years with no problems.  XP SP 3 has never failed us, so we've stuck with it.

A few months back, the mouse (Microsoft Wireless 5000) starts acting wierd.  It's hard to describe, but it seemed to "lose precision".  I have decent hand-eye coordination, and it just seemed like once in a while, the on-screen pointer just wouldn't properly follow how the mouse was being moved.  I'd go to click on topics here in the forums, and miss.  I mean, after 20+ years of PC, you take it for granted.  But I'd go to click on a certain topic, and hit the one above it, or below, or the space in between.  Okay, everyone does this once in a while, but not like this.  This was happening a lot.  Something was wrong.  And it wasn't just me; Mrs. Orbert and Orbert Jr. both complained about the same thing.  It's not tracking properly or something.

So I did all the usual stuff.  Update the driver, reboot, fresh batteries.  Nothing helped.  Over time, it actually got worse.  The pointer would occassionally jump around like a thing possessed.  Not by itself.  If you don't move the mouse, the pointer doesn't move.  But move the mouse, and the pointer would move in approximately the correct direction, but sometimes too far or not far enough.  Again, I'm not new to using a mouse, and everyone noticed this.  I figured it was the mouse itself.  Bought a brand new mouse (Logitech M310).

The problem persists!

Okay, so if it's not the software, and it's not the hardware, what the hell is it?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Wierd PC mouse problem -- any experts here?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
Could it be the mousepad/whatever surface the mouse is on?

Otherwise, I really have no idea.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dillster22

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
This seems to be a common issue with your particular Microsoft mouse, and as far as I can see a solution hasn't been found. However, I did read that your wireless router may be operating at the same frequency as your wireless mouse, which may interfere with the signal. You can read more about the problem here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/tracking-issues-with-wireless-mouse-5000-bought/3ef70d64-6624-4995-8e6d-939c1c6b72bc

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:29:12 AM »
I thought it might be the router, as we recently got AT&T Uverse and the wi-fi hub sits a foot away.  But I was pretty sure that the problems predated the switch to Uverse, and my wife confirms this.  Also, the problem continues with the new mouse which is a completely different brand.  Weird.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:04 AM »
If it's interference or something, have you tried a normal mouse? (ie not wireless).
I know that's not solving any underlying issue (especially if it affects multiple people), which may not be good enough for you, but it would either work, or rule out an extra problem.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »
That's the next step in the investigation, and for the reason you've mentioned.  Unfortunately, I have to find a non-wireless mouse.  We've used wireless for so long now that I can't find the old one, which was probably tossed years ago.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »
At least computer mice are dirt cheap if you want to try it out. You can get a crap brand one for $5 just to try it out. Even just as a temporary solution until you can hopefully sort out the wider issue.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »
If you still have the issue with a wired optical mouse, you might try getting one of those mousepads designed specifically for optical mice.
Listen! Do you smell something?